|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Captain Ben Hart known for?
2. What signal did the USS Gunnel send out?
3. What did Captain Hart give John demerits for?
4. Who was John's main teacher?
5. How much oxygen did the USS Gunnel have when it resurfaced after being deeply submerged when the Japanese were around?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the student who bullied John die later in their lives? How did John relate to him at his death?
2. Why did John decide to become more responsible, what changed him back to his old ways?
3. What was the Academy like in the summer before classes began?
4. How did Captain Hart try to earn respect from others? Did it work?
5. Why was Jack awarded the Legion of Merit?
6. What was John Sidney McCain Sr like as a commander? What relationship did he have with the men serving under him?
7. Describe what Jack was like as a commander.
8. What was Roberta Wright McCain's background? How did your parents feel about McCain?
9. What happened when John Sidney McCain Sr was 61 years old?
10. How did John end out getting a decent grade in history?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John had one teacher who continued to knock him down and two teachers that really inspired him. Describe the experiences with Captain Ben Hart, Lieutenant Commander Eugene Carroll and William P. Ravenel, showing how they influenced John's' life.
Essay Topic 2
How did Jack feel about his son and his son's captivity? How did the situation affect his role as a commander?
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the experiences Jack had aboard the USS Gunnel. What danger did he and his men face? How did they overcome it? How close were they to death? What saved them?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)