|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Jack feel about the way America was fighting the Vietnam War?
(a) He didn't question it. He just did what he was ordered to do without comment.
(b) He was frustrate and challenged Washington on it.
(c) He was embarrassed by his country's approach.
(d) He thought they were doing a good job.
2. How did John feel during the months after the Vietnamese offered his release?
(a) He regretted his choice.
(b) He lived in trepidation.
(c) He was happy with his choice.
(d) He felt at peace.
3. How did John feel about the soldiers who tried to escape and participated in forms of resistance?
(a) He wished he had their bravery.
(b) They were like lanterns leading the way with their honor, courage, and faith.
(c) He was angry at them because everyone was punished for their thoughtless actions.
(d) He thought they were stupid.
4. How many children did Carol and John have?
(d) They couldn't have any.
5. What were the prisoners able to do by April of 1969?
(a) Play ping-pong and pool.
(b) Call home.
(c) Eat all they wanted.
(d) Walk outside the gates.
Short Answer Questions
1. What health issue did John first struggle with when he roomed with Bud?
2. How were the American prisoners treated after the three Americans were released and told their story?
3. What did the prisoners call the mayor of Hanoi's official residence?
4. What happened to the packages John's wife sent?
5. How did John feel about signing a statement of confession?
Short Essay Questions
1. What injuries did John receive from the inferno on the USS Forestall? How were his injuries compared to the others?
2. What happened when the three men were released in August of 1969?
3. What did John and his friends do for entertainment in Meridian, Mississippi? How did people react to what they had done?
4. What were the interrogation sessions like? How did John feel about his time in the interrogation room?
5. What did early releases tells Jack about his son, John?
6. In October of 1962, John's squadron was ordered to fly their planes back to the carrier earlier than they had expected. They discovered that they might see some action. What happened with this, and how did John feel about it?
7. Why was John's transfer to Camp Unity such a great experience?
8. What were some of the difficulties John had to face as a prisoner of war?
9. What was John' s behavior like when he was a naval officer at the Academy? How did he act in relation to his work?
10. How did John's father and grandfather talk about their war experiences after they were home?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)