|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the prisoners call the mayor of Hanoi's official residence?
(a) The Pit.
(b) The Plantation.
(c) The White House.
(d) The Jail.
2. What did John think as he ejected from the plane over Hanoi?
(a) He thought about his family.
(b) He couldn't think because he was unconscious.
(c) That he should followed his training.
(d) He thought the war was a nightmare.
3. How did the Vietnamese want people to think they treated the prisoners?
(c) As slaves.
(d) With respect.
4. How did John feel about the soldiers who tried to escape and participated in forms of resistance?
(a) They were like lanterns leading the way with their honor, courage, and faith.
(b) He thought they were stupid.
(c) He wished he had their bravery.
(d) He was angry at them because everyone was punished for their thoughtless actions.
5. What information did John give his interrogators?
(a) He didn't tell them anything.
(b) He pretended to speak another language.
(c) No important information.
(d) He confessed everything.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jack's mom told John after the war that she would hear Jack doing what in his study?
2. After John ejected from his plane, what we he even more determined to do?
3. What did the soldiers do their first night in Camp Unity?
4. What position was John's father assuming when John was offered freedom?
5. How did John respond when he was offered a chance to go home early?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did John and his friends do for entertainment in Meridian, Mississippi? How did people react to what they had done?
2. What happened when John realized he didn't have a wash rag after his punishment?
3. What were communications like between John and his family?
4. What happened when the three men were released in August of 1969?
5. What was life in his imprisonment like after John refused to go home early?
6. What were some of the difficulties John had to face as a prisoner of war?
7. How did John's father and grandfather talk about their war experiences after they were home?
8. In October of 1962, John's squadron was ordered to fly their planes back to the carrier earlier than they had expected. They discovered that they might see some action. What happened with this, and how did John feel about it?
9. Why was John's transfer to Camp Unity such a great experience?
10. What happened when the Vietnamese asked John if he wanted to go home early?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)