|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened if they were caught communicating?
(a) They were killed.
(c) Thy received harsh punishment.
(d) They were ridiculed.
2. What were John's parents informed regarding his situation?
(a) They were told he was dead.
(b) They were told that he was gravely injured and would probably die.
(c) They were told that he was gravely injured, yet would survive.
(d) They were told he was completely fine.
3. How did John feel about signing a statement of confession?
(a) He refused to sign.
(b) He said he would sign if the other prisoners did, too.
(c) He did it, and regretted the action for his whole life.
(d) He knew his signature meant nothing since it was under duress so he signed without hesitation.
4. In late August, months after offering John an early release, what did the Vietnamese do?
(a) They stopped feeding him.
(b) They beat him brutally.
(c) They offered him a release again.
(d) They made him write a letter to his father.
5. What did Jack keep on file that only those closest to him knew about?
(a) Anti-American propaganda.
(b) Vietnamese maneuvers.
(c) Battle strategies.
(d) Anything relating to his son and the other war prisoners.
6. What happened to the packages John's wife sent?
(a) The Vietnamese took the packages so John never received them.
(b) They came to him opened with items missing.
(d) She never sent any.
7. How did many of the prisoners communicate with their families?
(a) Using codes.
(b) They wrote letters no-one else would read.
(c) By telegraph.
(d) On the telephone.
8. How did John feel about the Committee of Liaison with Families of Servicemen Detained in North Vietnam?
(a) He didn't understand what they were about.
(b) He deeply resented the group.
(c) He felt indebted to the group.
(d) He thought they should look at their mission more carefully.
9. What happened to the USS Forrestal?
(a) It sank.
(b) It was hit by a Sunni missile.
(d) It became surrounded by enemy ships.
10. What happened to John's wife while he was in the Hilton?
(a) She died.
(b) She ran off with another man.
(c) She became very ill.
(d) She was in a car accident.
11. How did John feel during the months after the Vietnamese offered his release?
(a) He regretted his choice.
(b) He was happy with his choice.
(c) He lived in trepidation.
(d) He felt at peace.
12. What did John send to Bob the first Christmas they were free?
(a) A map of Hanoi.
(b) 500 wash rags.
(c) A photograph of his family..
(d) A huge food basket.
13. Where did the prisoners leave messages for each other?
(a) They didn't.
(b) Washroom drains.
(c) In clothing.
(d) In food.
14. What did Jack do to ensure his son's release?
(b) He gave money to the Vietnamese.
(c) He sent soldiers to free his son.
(d) He wrote letters to the Vietnamese government.
15. How did the pilots feel about the orders they were given?
(a) They were angry.
(b) They were frustrated.
(c) They thought the decisions were wise.
(d) They refused to follow them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position was John's father assuming when John was offered freedom?
2. How did Jack react to wartime situations that became personal?
3. How did John respond when he was offered a chance to go home early?
4. What did John and his friends start up in Meridian, Mississippi?
5. What protocol did the American Prisoners of War follow?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)