|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the prisoners able to do by April of 1969?
(a) Walk outside the gates.
(b) Play ping-pong and pool.
(c) Call home.
(d) Eat all they wanted.
2. What position was John's father assuming when John was offered freedom?
(a) Commander-in-Chief, Atlantic.
(b) Three Star General, Atlantic.
(c) Commander-in-Chief, Pacific.
(d) Three Star General, Pacific.
3. What Army exercises in training did John excel in?
(a) Evading the enemy.
(b) Surviving in a POW camp.
4. What did Jake and Slew find difficult when they talked about war experiences to elementary students?
(a) They had a hard time keeping their language clean.
(b) They had too many traumatic memories.
(c) It was difficult remembering all that happened.
(d) They had to mentally sort out the confidential information.
5. How did the Vietnamese want people to think they treated the prisoners?
(a) With respect.
(b) As slaves.
6. What were John's parents informed regarding his situation?
(a) They were told he was dead.
(b) They were told that he was gravely injured and would probably die.
(c) They were told that he was gravely injured, yet would survive.
(d) They were told he was completely fine.
7. Why were prisoners taken out of their cells?
(a) For interrogation.
(b) For meals.
(c) For exercise.
(d) They were never allowed out of the cells.
8. How did Jack react to wartime situations that became personal?
(a) He didn't let his personal life interfere with the country's needs.
(b) He worked the politics to his best personal advantage.
(c) He ignored orders if they went against his personal wishes.
(d) He didn't even think about his personal life.
9. How long did John have to stay in a small room as punishment?
(a) 3 months.
(b) 3 weeks.
(c) An entire day.
(d) 3 days.
10. What did the Vietnamese do when he landed?
(a) They ran away from him.
(b) They questioned him.
(c) They helped him get up.
(d) They attacked him.
11. What happened if they were caught communicating?
(a) They were killed.
(c) Thy received harsh punishment.
(d) They were ridiculed.
12. Where was the ship taken for repairs?
(a) The Philippines.
(b) Nowhere -- it was underwater.
(c) Back to Pittsburgh.
(d) Back to Meridian.
13. In late August, months after offering John an early release, what did the Vietnamese do?
(a) They stopped feeding him.
(b) They beat him brutally.
(c) They made him write a letter to his father.
(d) They offered him a release again.
14. What information did John give his interrogators?
(a) He didn't tell them anything.
(b) He pretended to speak another language.
(c) No important information.
(d) He confessed everything.
15. What did John do while in solitary?
(a) Went on a starvation diet.
(b) Yelled at the guards.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did John feel about the Committee of Liaison with Families of Servicemen Detained in North Vietnam?
2. What did Jack do to ensure his son's release?
3. What did John do when he joined the other soldiers after solitary?
4. What did the Frenchman who interviewed John want him to do?
5. Early releases told Jack that John about all of the following except what?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)