|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did John feel about the soldiers who tried to escape and participated in forms of resistance?
(a) He was angry at them because everyone was punished for their thoughtless actions.
(b) They were like lanterns leading the way with their honor, courage, and faith.
(c) He thought they were stupid.
(d) He wished he had their bravery.
2. How did Bob react to John's actions?
(a) He refused to talk with him.
(b) He punched John.
(c) He told John he was forever indebted to him.
(d) He responded in a humorous manner.
3. What did John get more serious about during his second cruise on the USS Intrepid?
(a) His grades.
(b) His friendships.
(c) His career.
(d) Getting married.
4. Early releases told Jack that John about all of the following except what?
(a) He was wounded.
(b) He signed a confession.
(c) He was brave.
(d) He was now fine.
5. How did the Vietnamese want people to think they treated the prisoners?
(c) As slaves.
(d) With respect.
6. What were John's parents informed regarding his situation?
(a) They were told he was dead.
(b) They were told that he was gravely injured and would probably die.
(c) They were told that he was gravely injured, yet would survive.
(d) They were told he was completely fine.
7. Where did the prisoners leave messages for each other?
(a) Washroom drains.
(b) They didn't.
(c) In food.
(d) In clothing.
8. How did John feel about signing a statement of confession?
(a) He knew his signature meant nothing since it was under duress so he signed without hesitation.
(b) He refused to sign.
(c) He did it, and regretted the action for his whole life.
(d) He said he would sign if the other prisoners did, too.
9. How did many of the prisoners communicate with their families?
(a) By telegraph.
(b) They wrote letters no-one else would read.
(c) Using codes.
(d) On the telephone.
10. What was the result of having a famous father for John?
(a) He was released.
(b) He was treated better than other prisoners.
(c) He was treated more harsly than other prisoners.
(d) He was able to eat with the enemy.
11. What happened when the enemy came near John?
(a) He shot them down.
(b) He continued forward to release his bombs.
(c) He panicked and froze.
(d) He evaded them and flew away.
12. How did John respond when he was offered a chance to go home early?
(a) He taunted the other prisoners with his good fortune.
(b) He said he wouldn't go out of turn.
(c) He said he'd never go home.
(d) He cheered.
13. Who helped the family when John's wife was struggling?
(a) John's parents.
(c) Navy families around her.
(d) A neighbor who was in love with her.
14. What happened to the USS Forrestal?
(a) It became surrounded by enemy ships.
(b) It was hit by a Sunni missile.
(d) It sank.
15. What did the prisoners call the mayor of Hanoi's official residence?
(a) The Jail.
(b) The Plantation.
(c) The Pit.
(d) The White House.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the prisoners able to do by April of 1969?
2. How did John feel about the Committee of Liaison with Families of Servicemen Detained in North Vietnam?
3. What was the summer of 1969 like for John and the other prisoners?
4. What did John send to Bob the first Christmas they were free?
5. Why did the Vietnamese take John to the hospital?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)