|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did John attend flight school?
2. How did the pilots feel about the orders they were given?
(a) They were angry.
(b) They thought the decisions were wise.
(c) They refused to follow them.
(d) They were frustrated.
3. How did John feel during the months after the Vietnamese offered his release?
(a) He regretted his choice.
(b) He was happy with his choice.
(c) He felt at peace.
(d) He lived in trepidation.
4. Why were prisoners taken out of their cells?
(a) For meals.
(b) For interrogation.
(c) They were never allowed out of the cells.
(d) For exercise.
5. Where was the ship taken for repairs?
(a) Back to Meridian.
(b) Nowhere -- it was underwater.
(c) The Philippines.
(d) Back to Pittsburgh.
6. What did John think as he ejected from the plane over Hanoi?
(a) He thought about his family.
(b) He couldn't think because he was unconscious.
(c) He thought the war was a nightmare.
(d) That he should followed his training.
7. What happened to the USS Forrestal?
(a) It sank.
(c) It became surrounded by enemy ships.
(d) It was hit by a Sunni missile.
8. How were the American prisoners treated after the three Americans were released and told their story?
(a) They were denied outdoor privileges.
(b) Their beatings increased.
(c) They were given less food.
(d) They were treated better.
9. How many planes on the USS Forrestal were destroyed?
(b) Over 50.
(d) Over 20.
10. How did John feel about signing a statement of confession?
(a) He said he would sign if the other prisoners did, too.
(b) He knew his signature meant nothing since it was under duress so he signed without hesitation.
(c) He refused to sign.
(d) He did it, and regretted the action for his whole life.
11. What did Jake and Slew find difficult when they talked about war experiences to elementary students?
(a) They had to mentally sort out the confidential information.
(b) It was difficult remembering all that happened.
(c) They had too many traumatic memories.
(d) They had a hard time keeping their language clean.
12. What did John and his friends start up in Meridian, Mississippi?
(a) The Key Fess Yacht Club.
(b) The Meridian Gospel Church.
(c) An acting troupe.
(d) A band.
13. How did John feel about the soldiers who tried to escape and participated in forms of resistance?
(a) He was angry at them because everyone was punished for their thoughtless actions.
(b) They were like lanterns leading the way with their honor, courage, and faith.
(c) He wished he had their bravery.
(d) He thought they were stupid.
14. How did the Vietnamese want people to think they treated the prisoners?
(b) As slaves.
(c) With respect.
15. Jack's mom told John after the war that she would hear Jack doing what in his study?
(a) Typing madly.
(b) Throwing things.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did John do during the Christmas Eve service in 1968?
2. How did John respond when he was offered a chance to go home early?
3. What did John get more serious about during his second cruise on the USS Intrepid?
4. What was the summer of 1969 like for John and the other prisoners?
5. What did the Vietnamese plan to do with John's release?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)