|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children did Carol and John have?
(b) They couldn't have any.
2. What did the soldiers do their first night in Camp Unity?
(a) They sang songs and put on a play.
(b) They stayed awake all night.
(c) They slept in peace.
(d) They planned an escape.
3. What did John get more serious about during his second cruise on the USS Intrepid?
(a) His career.
(b) His grades.
(c) Getting married.
(d) His friendships.
4. Where was the ship taken for repairs?
(a) Back to Meridian.
(b) Nowhere -- it was underwater.
(c) Back to Pittsburgh.
(d) The Philippines.
5. How did Jack react to wartime situations that became personal?
(a) He didn't let his personal life interfere with the country's needs.
(b) He ignored orders if they went against his personal wishes.
(c) He didn't even think about his personal life.
(d) He worked the politics to his best personal advantage.
6. What caused John the most dismay?
(a) He was upset at how his family suffered.
(b) He didn't want to disappoint his father.
(c) He didn't like seeing his fellow soldiers ill.
(d) He wished he could show the Vietnamese that he was really a fine man.
7. What were John's parents informed regarding his situation?
(a) They were told he was completely fine.
(b) They were told that he was gravely injured and would probably die.
(c) They were told that he was gravely injured, yet would survive.
(d) They were told he was dead.
8. What Operation did John participate in?
(a) Operation Coburg.
(b) Operation Coronado II.
(c) Operation Jack Crack.
(d) Operation Rolling Thunder.
9. What trouble did John get into in Spain?
(a) He was arrested for public drunkeness.
(b) He flew too low and knocked over some power lines.
(c) He separated from his unit and got lost.
(d) He inadvertently insulted a chief commander in Spain.
10. How did John feel about the Vietnamese' actions in the August after he was offered an early release?
(a) He wanted to kill himself.
(b) He was angry at the Vietnamese.
(c) He thought their actions were futile.
(d) He sympathized with their situation.
11. Early releases told Jack that John about all of the following except what?
(a) He was now fine.
(b) He signed a confession.
(c) He was wounded.
(d) He was brave.
12. What did John do during the Christmas Eve service in 1968?
(a) He started an uprising.
(b) He finally broke down and cried.
(c) He decided that trusting God was useless.
(d) He prayed for his family.
13. What did the Frenchman who interviewed John want him to do?
(a) Speak against the United States.
(b) Tell the truth about being a prisoner.
(d) Offer classified information.
14. What happened to the packages John's wife sent?
(a) They came to him opened with items missing.
(b) The Vietnamese took the packages so John never received them.
(d) She never sent any.
15. What Army exercises in training did John excel in?
(a) Surviving in a POW camp.
(b) Evading the enemy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What protocol did the American Prisoners of War follow?
2. How did many of the prisoners communicate with their families?
3. What did John do while in solitary?
4. What happened if they were caught communicating?
5. How long did John have to stay in a small room as punishment?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)