|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to John's plane when he was in Corpus Christi Bay?
(a) The engine quit.
(b) He lost his steering controls.
(c) The landing gears were stuck.
(d) The rudder broke off.
2. What did the Frenchman who interviewed John want him to do?
(a) Offer classified information.
(b) Tell the truth about being a prisoner.
(d) Speak against the United States.
3. How did John feel about the soldiers who tried to escape and participated in forms of resistance?
(a) He thought they were stupid.
(b) They were like lanterns leading the way with their honor, courage, and faith.
(c) He was angry at them because everyone was punished for their thoughtless actions.
(d) He wished he had their bravery.
4. What did the guard draw in the dirt at Christmas?
(a) A swastika.
(b) A manger.
(c) A cross.
(d) His name.
5. Where did Jack ask to have his change of command ceremony?
(a) In a private ceremony in his living room.
(b) Back in the United States.
(c) In Hanoi.
(d) On the USS Oriskany.
6. How did Bob react to John's actions?
(a) He responded in a humorous manner.
(b) He told John he was forever indebted to him.
(c) He refused to talk with him.
(d) He punched John.
7. How did the Vietnamese want people to think they treated the prisoners?
(c) As slaves.
(d) With respect.
8. How did John feel about the Vietnamese' actions in the August after he was offered an early release?
(a) He thought their actions were futile.
(b) He wanted to kill himself.
(c) He sympathized with their situation.
(d) He was angry at the Vietnamese.
9. What caused John the most dismay?
(a) He didn't like seeing his fellow soldiers ill.
(b) He didn't want to disappoint his father.
(c) He was upset at how his family suffered.
(d) He wished he could show the Vietnamese that he was really a fine man.
10. How did John feel about the Committee of Liaison with Families of Servicemen Detained in North Vietnam?
(a) He felt indebted to the group.
(b) He thought they should look at their mission more carefully.
(c) He didn't understand what they were about.
(d) He deeply resented the group.
11. What protocol did the American Prisoners of War follow?
(a) The Code of Conduct.
(b) The Code of Honor.
(c) The Navy Code.
(d) The American Creed.
12. What did John think as he ejected from the plane over Hanoi?
(a) He couldn't think because he was unconscious.
(b) He thought about his family.
(c) He thought the war was a nightmare.
(d) That he should followed his training.
13. Jack's mom told John after the war that she would hear Jack doing what in his study?
(a) Throwing things.
(d) Typing madly.
14. Who helped the family when John's wife was struggling?
(b) John's parents.
(c) A neighbor who was in love with her.
(d) Navy families around her.
15. What did the soldiers do their first night in Camp Unity?
(a) They sang songs and put on a play.
(b) They stayed awake all night.
(c) They planned an escape.
(d) They slept in peace.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Jack feel about the way America was fighting the Vietnam War?
2. What did the Air Force major say to John about his time in Korea?
3. What did John do while in solitary?
4. What did Jack do to ensure his son's release?
5. What did John do to Bob?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)