|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Operation did John participate in?
(a) Operation Rolling Thunder.
(b) Operation Coburg.
(c) Operation Coronado II.
(d) Operation Jack Crack.
2. How did John feel about the soldiers who tried to escape and participated in forms of resistance?
(a) He thought they were stupid.
(b) He was angry at them because everyone was punished for their thoughtless actions.
(c) He wished he had their bravery.
(d) They were like lanterns leading the way with their honor, courage, and faith.
3. What happened if they were caught communicating?
(a) They were killed.
(b) They were ridiculed.
(c) Thy received harsh punishment.
4. What did the Americans who were released in August tell the world?
(a) The Vietnamese did not treat prisoners well.
(b) The Vietnamese actually favored the American prisoners.
(c) John had life easy thanks to his father.
(d) The Vietnamese propaganda was accurate.
5. What did the soldiers do their first night in Camp Unity?
(a) They planned an escape.
(b) They stayed awake all night.
(c) They slept in peace.
(d) They sang songs and put on a play.
6. What did John and his friends start up in Meridian, Mississippi?
(a) An acting troupe.
(b) The Meridian Gospel Church.
(c) The Key Fess Yacht Club.
(d) A band.
7. How many Americans were prisoners with John?
(b) He was the only one.
(c) Over 80.
8. After John ejected from his plane, what we he even more determined to do?
(a) Become an aircraft mechanic.
(b) Take more flying lessons.
(c) Quit the military.
(d) Get to Vietnam.
9. What was the result of having a famous father for John?
(a) He was treated more harsly than other prisoners.
(b) He was treated better than other prisoners.
(c) He was able to eat with the enemy.
(d) He was released.
10. What did the prisoners call the mayor of Hanoi's official residence?
(a) The Pit.
(b) The Jail.
(c) The Plantation.
(d) The White House.
11. How were the American prisoners treated after the three Americans were released and told their story?
(a) They were given less food.
(b) They were denied outdoor privileges.
(c) They were treated better.
(d) Their beatings increased.
12. Who helped the family when John's wife was struggling?
(b) John's parents.
(c) Navy families around her.
(d) A neighbor who was in love with her.
13. What did John do during the Christmas Eve service in 1968?
(a) He decided that trusting God was useless.
(b) He finally broke down and cried.
(c) He prayed for his family.
(d) He started an uprising.
14. How did the Vietnamese want people to think they treated the prisoners?
(a) As slaves.
(c) With respect.
15. What did Jack do to ensure his son's release?
(b) He wrote letters to the Vietnamese government.
(c) He sent soldiers to free his son.
(d) He gave money to the Vietnamese.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years was Jack active in the Navy before he retired?
2. Why did the Vietnamese take John to the hospital?
3. What Army exercises in training did John excel in?
4. What health issue did John first struggle with when he roomed with Bud?
5. How did John feel about the Committee of Liaison with Families of Servicemen Detained in North Vietnam?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)