|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Bob react to John's actions?
(a) He punched John.
(b) He told John he was forever indebted to him.
(c) He refused to talk with him.
(d) He responded in a humorous manner.
2. How many years was Jack active in the Navy before he retired?
3. Where did Jack ask to have his change of command ceremony?
(a) In Hanoi.
(b) Back in the United States.
(c) On the USS Oriskany.
(d) In a private ceremony in his living room.
4. How did the Vietnamese want people to think they treated the prisoners?
(a) As slaves.
(b) With respect.
5. Where was the ship taken for repairs?
(a) Nowhere -- it was underwater.
(b) The Philippines.
(c) Back to Pittsburgh.
(d) Back to Meridian.
6. How many Americans were prisoners with John?
(a) Over 80.
(d) He was the only one.
7. What did John get more serious about during his second cruise on the USS Intrepid?
(a) Getting married.
(b) His career.
(c) His grades.
(d) His friendships.
8. What caused John the most dismay?
(a) He didn't like seeing his fellow soldiers ill.
(b) He didn't want to disappoint his father.
(c) He wished he could show the Vietnamese that he was really a fine man.
(d) He was upset at how his family suffered.
9. What happened if they were caught communicating?
(a) They were killed.
(b) They were ridiculed.
(d) Thy received harsh punishment.
10. Jack's mom told John after the war that she would hear Jack doing what in his study?
(a) Typing madly.
(c) Throwing things.
11. How many children did Carol and John have?
(c) They couldn't have any.
12. How did the pilots feel about the orders they were given?
(a) They thought the decisions were wise.
(b) They were frustrated.
(c) They refused to follow them.
(d) They were angry.
13. What did the prisoners call the mayor of Hanoi's official residence?
(a) The Jail.
(b) The Plantation.
(c) The White House.
(d) The Pit.
14. Where did the prisoners leave messages for each other?
(a) Washroom drains.
(b) In clothing.
(c) They didn't.
(d) In food.
15. How did Jack react to wartime situations that became personal?
(a) He worked the politics to his best personal advantage.
(b) He didn't even think about his personal life.
(c) He didn't let his personal life interfere with the country's needs.
(d) He ignored orders if they went against his personal wishes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did John attend flight school?
2. In late August, months after offering John an early release, what did the Vietnamese do?
3. How did John feel about the soldiers who tried to escape and participated in forms of resistance?
4. What did Jake and Slew find difficult when they talked about war experiences to elementary students?
5. Why did the Vietnamese take John to the hospital?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)