|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who helped the family when John's wife was struggling?
(a) John's parents.
(b) Navy families around her.
(d) A neighbor who was in love with her.
2. What did the Vietnamese plan to do with John's release?
(a) Kill him right after release.
(b) Shame his father.
(c) Renege on their offer.
(d) Kill him right before release.
3. In late August, months after offering John an early release, what did the Vietnamese do?
(a) They offered him a release again.
(b) They made him write a letter to his father.
(c) They beat him brutally.
(d) They stopped feeding him.
4. How did John feel about the Vietnamese' actions in the August after he was offered an early release?
(a) He sympathized with their situation.
(b) He wanted to kill himself.
(c) He thought their actions were futile.
(d) He was angry at the Vietnamese.
5. How did John respond when he was offered a chance to go home early?
(a) He taunted the other prisoners with his good fortune.
(b) He said he wouldn't go out of turn.
(c) He said he'd never go home.
(d) He cheered.
6. How did Bob react to John's actions?
(a) He punched John.
(b) He refused to talk with him.
(c) He responded in a humorous manner.
(d) He told John he was forever indebted to him.
7. How did Jack respond to the opinions of those under his command?
(a) He refused to listen to them.
(b) He thought that other ideas were ridiculous.
(c) He only listened to the officers under his command.
(d) He was interested in hearing them and truly listened.
8. What happened after John's actions during the Christmas Eve service in 1968?
(a) His family wrote to him.
(b) He was put into solitary confinement.
(c) He was beaten.
(d) A fellow soldier reminded him of how much God loved him.
9. What did Jake and Slew find difficult when they talked about war experiences to elementary students?
(a) They had too many traumatic memories.
(b) It was difficult remembering all that happened.
(c) They had to mentally sort out the confidential information.
(d) They had a hard time keeping their language clean.
10. How many Americans were prisoners with John?
(a) He was the only one.
(b) Over 80.
11. What happened to John's plane when he was in Corpus Christi Bay?
(a) The landing gears were stuck.
(b) He lost his steering controls.
(c) The rudder broke off.
(d) The engine quit.
12. How did Jack react to wartime situations that became personal?
(a) He ignored orders if they went against his personal wishes.
(b) He worked the politics to his best personal advantage.
(c) He didn't even think about his personal life.
(d) He didn't let his personal life interfere with the country's needs.
13. What happened when the enemy came near John?
(a) He shot them down.
(b) He continued forward to release his bombs.
(c) He evaded them and flew away.
(d) He panicked and froze.
14. What did John send to Bob the first Christmas they were free?
(a) A map of Hanoi.
(b) A huge food basket.
(c) A photograph of his family..
(d) 500 wash rags.
15. What did the Vietnamese do when he landed?
(a) They attacked him.
(b) They questioned him.
(c) They helped him get up.
(d) They ran away from him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children did Carol and John have?
2. What was the summer of 1969 like for John and the other prisoners?
3. What did the prisoners call the mayor of Hanoi's official residence?
4. What did the Frenchman who interviewed John want him to do?
5. How did Jack feel about the way America was fighting the Vietnam War?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)