|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Frenchman who interviewed John want him to do?
(a) Speak against the United States.
(c) Offer classified information.
(d) Tell the truth about being a prisoner.
2. Where did Jack ask to have his change of command ceremony?
(a) In Hanoi.
(b) Back in the United States.
(c) In a private ceremony in his living room.
(d) On the USS Oriskany.
3. Early releases told Jack that John about all of the following except what?
(a) He was now fine.
(b) He signed a confession.
(c) He was wounded.
(d) He was brave.
4. How did Bob react to John's actions?
(a) He refused to talk with him.
(b) He told John he was forever indebted to him.
(c) He responded in a humorous manner.
(d) He punched John.
5. What happened when the enemy came near John?
(a) He panicked and froze.
(b) He continued forward to release his bombs.
(c) He evaded them and flew away.
(d) He shot them down.
6. What did John do when he joined the other soldiers after solitary?
(c) Talked non-stop.
(d) Asked them to leave him alone.
7. Who helped the family when John's wife was struggling?
(a) A neighbor who was in love with her.
(b) Navy families around her.
(d) John's parents.
8. What caused John the most dismay?
(a) He didn't want to disappoint his father.
(b) He was upset at how his family suffered.
(c) He didn't like seeing his fellow soldiers ill.
(d) He wished he could show the Vietnamese that he was really a fine man.
9. How did the Vietnamese want people to think they treated the prisoners?
(a) As slaves.
(b) With respect.
10. How many Americans were prisoners with John?
(b) Over 80.
(d) He was the only one.
11. What did John and his friends start up in Meridian, Mississippi?
(a) The Key Fess Yacht Club.
(b) The Meridian Gospel Church.
(c) An acting troupe.
(d) A band.
12. How did John feel about the soldiers who tried to escape and participated in forms of resistance?
(a) He wished he had their bravery.
(b) They were like lanterns leading the way with their honor, courage, and faith.
(c) He thought they were stupid.
(d) He was angry at them because everyone was punished for their thoughtless actions.
13. How did John feel when his chance of action didn't come to fruition?
(a) He was relieved.
(b) He was frustrated that they settled the situation peaceably.
(c) He was angry that they had to waste their time there.
(d) It whetted his appetite for action.
14. What information did John give his interrogators?
(a) He didn't tell them anything.
(b) No important information.
(c) He pretended to speak another language.
(d) He confessed everything.
15. Why did the Vietnamese take John to the hospital?
(a) He asked them to.
(b) It was common protocol for prisoners of war.
(c) They found out his father was an Admiral.
(d) They didn't.
Short Answer Questions
1. How were the prisoners treated up to the end of 1969?
2. What happened after John's actions during the Christmas Eve service in 1968?
3. What did Jack do to ensure his son's release?
4. What did the guard draw in the dirt at Christmas?
5. What did John do while in solitary?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)