|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the signal from the USS Gunnel do?
(a) It was lost in the stormy waters.
(b) It showed their position.
(c) It aggravated the enemy.
(d) It saved their lives.
2. How did John Sidney McCain Sr. do in school?
(a) He was valedictorian.
(b) He was average academically.
(c) He was suspended for his grades.
(d) He did not do well in school.
3. "Faith of My Fathers" is about all the following men except for which one?
(a) Slew McCain.
(b) John Sidney McCain III.
(c) John Sidney McCain Jr.
(d) John Laurence McCain.
4. What happened when John McCain was five?
(a) His brother went off to war.
(b) The Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor.
(c) His father died.
(d) His grandfather died.
5. Who almost blasted the USS Gunnel?
(a) Other Americans.
(b) The Russians.
(c) The Germans.
(d) The British.
6. What happened to the USS Gunnel as it headed toward Scotland?
(a) It was torpedoed.
(b) The engines malfunctioned while enemies chased them.
(c) It sprung a leak.
(d) It had an incredibly smooth trip.
7. How did John relate to the bully later in life?
(a) He apologized to the bully and they became tentative friends.
(b) He felt a connection since they both tried to please their fathers.
(c) He realized he, too, had been a bully.
(d) They became close friends.
8. How deep did the USS Gunnel submerge when surrounded by the seven Japanese freighters?
(a) It didn't submerge.
(b) 50 feet.
(c) 300 feet.
(d) 3,000 feet.
9. What was John Sidney McCain Jr.'s physique like when he left the Academy?
(a) He was a very large man.
(b) He was a small man.
(c) He was tall yet slender.
(d) He was very average.
10. How did John Sidney McCain Sr. die?
(a) He died in battle.
(b) He died of old age.
(c) He was killed by a man under his command.
(d) He collapsed at his welcome home celebration.
11. What was the USS Gunnel supposed to do after its mission?
(a) Lower its flag.
(b) Head to Pearl Harbor.
(c) Head to safety.
(d) Open fire on Britain.
12. How did John McCain remember his grandfather?
(a) As an autocratic presence.
(b) As a remote stranger.
(c) As a hero.
(d) As a small man that lived large.
13. How did John McCain view his father?
(a) A small man with a big heart.
(b) As a hero.
(c) A man with varied interests.
(d) As a man who took life way too seriously.
14. What was Captain Ben Hart known for?
(a) He was a stickler for the rules.
(b) He really cared about the students.
(c) He was a comedian as well as a teacher.
(d) He was a tyrant to all students.
15. What signal did the USS Gunnel send out?
(a) A red smoke signal rocket.
(b) An illuminated country flag.
(c) A white flag.
(d) A Morse Code message with light beams.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did John Sidney McCain Sr do in the Second World War?
2. How long did people mourn for John Sidney McCain Sr .after his death?
3. How much oxygen did the USS Gunnel have when it resurfaced after being deeply submerged when the Japanese were around?
4. How many Distinguished Service Medals did John Sidney McCain Sr. receive during World War II?
5. What job did John McCain's grandfather have?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)