|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who were John McCain's heroes?
(a) John Sidney McCain Jr. and Sr.
(b) His ancestors back to the Revolution.
(c) All Naval men.
(d) All Marines.
2. What happened to the USS Gunnel as it headed toward Scotland?
(a) It was torpedoed.
(b) The engines malfunctioned while enemies chased them.
(c) It sprung a leak.
(d) It had an incredibly smooth trip.
3. What job did John McCain's grandfather have?
(a) Aircraft carrier designer.
(b) Naval Aviator.
(d) Naval cartographer.
4. How did John McCain remember his grandfather?
(a) As a hero.
(b) As an autocratic presence.
(c) As a remote stranger.
(d) As a small man that lived large.
5. How did John Sidney McCain Sr. die?
(a) He died in battle.
(b) He was killed by a man under his command.
(c) He collapsed at his welcome home celebration.
(d) He died of old age.
6. How was John different from his father and grandfather scholastically?
(a) He was a model student.
(b) He kept skipping grades.
(c) He enjoyed some subjects.
(d) He failed everything.
7. What position did Jack have in NY in 1965?
(a) He was chairman of for the delegation to the United Nations Military Staff Committee and Commander of the Eastern Sea Frontier and the Atlantic Reserve Fleet.
(b) He was vice chairman for the delegation to the United Nations Military Staff Committee and Commander of the Eastern Sea Frontier and the Atlantic Reserve Fleet.
(c) He was president of for the delegation to the United Nations Military Staff Committee and Commander of the Eastern Sea Frontier and the Atlantic Reserve Fleet.
(d) He was a general.
8. Who helped prepare John for the Academy?
(a) His father.
(b) The teachers at the public school.
(c) The teachers at Episcopal High School.
(d) His mother.
9. How did John Sidney McCain Sr feel about fighting?
(a) He didn't know what to do with himself in times of peace.
(b) It made him sad.
(c) He hated it.
(d) He didn't like it, but thought there were times when a man had to fight.
10. How deep did the USS Gunnel submerge when surrounded by the seven Japanese freighters?
(a) 3,000 feet.
(b) 300 feet.
(c) It didn't submerge.
(d) 50 feet.
11. How did Jack feel about the men serving under him?
(a) He was frustrated with them.
(b) He thought they were ignorant.
(c) He greatly respected them.
(d) He loved them, but didn't think they were well trained.
12. John Sidney McCain Sr. was the first McCain to do what?
(a) Win a medal.
(b) Choose Navy over Army.
(c) Choose Army over Navy.
(d) Get an education.
13. Strategies from which wars are included in this book?
(a) The Civil War through World War II.
(b) World War I through World War II.
(c) World War I through the Vietnam War.
(d) The Revolution through World War I.
14. How did John Sidney McCain Sr. do in school?
(a) He was valedictorian.
(b) He was suspended for his grades.
(c) He was average academically.
(d) He did not do well in school.
15. What was John Sidney McCain Sr. supposed to avoid doing with his grandson?
(a) He was supposed to avoid all talk of war around his grandson.
(b) He wasn't supposed to watch his grandson alone.
(c) He wasn't supposed to coddle his grandson.
(d) He wasn't supposed to talk with his grandson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was John's main teacher?
2. How did John feel about his actions regarding the bully?
3. According to John McCain III, how do children of sailors feel?
4. How did the men serving under Jack feel about him?
5. How often did John McCain see his grandfather?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)