|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did John Sidney McCain Sr. do in school?
(a) He was average academically.
(b) He did not do well in school.
(c) He was valedictorian.
(d) He was suspended for his grades.
2. How deep did the USS Gunnel submerge when surrounded by the seven Japanese freighters?
(a) 3,000 feet.
(b) 300 feet.
(c) 50 feet.
(d) It didn't submerge.
3. Who taught John how to command a ship?
(a) Admiral Nimitz.
(b) Lieutenant Commander Eugene Carroll.
(c) Captain Ben Hart.
(d) Jack McCain.
4. What position did Jack assume in London?
(a) He was a teacher for the Academy.
(b) He assumed command of all the US naval forces in Europe.
(c) He worked for the United Nations.
(d) He became a two-star general.
5. How did John feel about his actions regarding the bully?
(a) He bragged about the incident to all who would listen.
(b) He wished he were slightly meaner.
(c) He thought it was a great story.
(d) He felt they weren't honorable and regretted doing the deed.
6. How did John Sidney McCain Sr feel about the men who served under him?
(a) He felt as if he didn't know them enough.
(b) He was very close to them.
(c) He deliberately kept himself distant from them since he was a commander not a friend.
(d) He thought they were very inept.
7. What signal did the USS Gunnel send out?
(a) A red smoke signal rocket.
(b) A Morse Code message with light beams.
(c) An illuminated country flag.
(d) A white flag.
8. What did John and his friends do to the bully in retaliation?
(a) Had his trunk sent to an Ivy League school instead of his ship.
(b) They beat him up.
(c) They ran his underwear up a flagpole.
(d) They reported him to the principal.
9. This book offers a real account of what?
(a) Triumphs and pitfalls of military men.
(b) John McCain's father's experiences in a prison camp.
(c) Triumphs of politics.
(d) Pitfalls of politics.
10. How was John different from his father and grandfather scholastically?
(a) He enjoyed some subjects.
(b) He failed everything.
(c) He was a model student.
(d) He kept skipping grades.
11. Who helped prepare John for the Academy?
(a) The teachers at the public school.
(b) His mother.
(c) The teachers at Episcopal High School.
(d) His father.
12. How did John feel about the Academy after the school year really began?
(a) He loved the camaraderie of the upperclassmen and the easy-to-follow rules.
(b) He appreciated the structure.
(c) He loved the challenge of the classes.
(d) He didn't like the academics and was often in trouble.
13. How often did John McCain see his grandfather?
(d) Once a month.
14. How did John Sidney McCain Sr feel about fighting?
(a) He didn't know what to do with himself in times of peace.
(b) He hated it.
(c) It made him sad.
(d) He didn't like it, but thought there were times when a man had to fight.
15. How did the men serving under Jack feel about him?
(a) They thought he was a foolish leader.
(b) They greatly respected him.
(c) They were afraid of him.
(d) They thought he was wise, but too distant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the USS Gunnel supposed to do after its mission?
2. Jack was knowledgable and resourceful about what?
3. What was Roberta and John Sidney McCain Jr's wedding like?
4. What was a problem when John entered high school?
5. What position did Jack have in NY in 1965?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)