|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Jack go before he went to the Academy?
(a) He went to a specialized tutoring school.
(b) He spent two weeks touring Europe.
(c) He spent two weeks aboard ship.
(d) He went to a pre-training camp.
2. How did Jack feel about the men serving under him?
(a) He was frustrated with them.
(b) He greatly respected them.
(c) He thought they were ignorant.
(d) He loved them, but didn't think they were well trained.
3. How did John Sidney McCain Sr feel about fighting?
(a) He hated it.
(b) It made him sad.
(c) He didn't like it, but thought there were times when a man had to fight.
(d) He didn't know what to do with himself in times of peace.
4. What signal did the USS Gunnel send out?
(a) A Morse Code message with light beams.
(b) A red smoke signal rocket.
(c) A white flag.
(d) An illuminated country flag.
5. Who were John McCain's heroes?
(a) His ancestors back to the Revolution.
(b) All Naval men.
(c) John Sidney McCain Jr. and Sr.
(d) All Marines.
6. What strength did McCain's mother have that helped the family?
(a) She knew the inner-workings of the Navy.
(b) She was brilliant.
(c) She was impeccably neat.
(d) She had natural charm, beauty, and social graces.
7. Strategies from which wars are included in this book?
(a) World War I through the Vietnam War.
(b) The Civil War through World War II.
(c) The Revolution through World War I.
(d) World War I through World War II.
8. What job did John McCain's father have?
(a) Naval cartographer.
(c) Aircraft carrier designer.
(d) Naval Aviator.
9. How deep did the USS Gunnel submerge when surrounded by the seven Japanese freighters?
(a) 3,000 feet.
(b) 300 feet.
(c) It didn't submerge.
(d) 50 feet.
10. What was John Sidney McCain Sr. supposed to avoid doing with his grandson?
(a) He wasn't supposed to talk with his grandson.
(b) He wasn't supposed to coddle his grandson.
(c) He wasn't supposed to watch his grandson alone.
(d) He was supposed to avoid all talk of war around his grandson.
11. What was Roberta and John Sidney McCain Jr's wedding like?
(a) They eloped.
(b) They had a small ceremony with just immediate relatives.
(c) They had a huge society wedding.
(d) They didn't invite family - just friends.
12. What happened to the USS Gunnel as it headed toward Scotland?
(a) It sprung a leak.
(b) The engines malfunctioned while enemies chased them.
(c) It was torpedoed.
(d) It had an incredibly smooth trip.
13. How did the officers feel about Captain Ben Hart?
(a) They were jealous of his relationship with the students.
(b) They did not respect him.
(c) They ridiculed him.
(d) They admired him.
14. What medal did John Sidney McCain Sr. get for his courage and leadership in the Guadalcanal campaign?
(a) Medal of Honor.
(b) Purple Heart.
(c) Navy Cross.
(d) Distinguished Service Medal.
15. What happened when John McCain was five?
(a) His grandfather died.
(b) The Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor.
(c) His father died.
(d) His brother went off to war.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job did John McCain's grandfather have?
2. How did Roberta McCain's parents feel about John Sidney McCain Jr.?
3. What happened after John Sidney McCain Sr. made a decision during a typhoon?
4. How was John different from his father and grandfather scholastically?
5. How did John feel about the Academy when he first arrived there?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)