|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did John Sidney McCain Sr feel about the men who served under him?
(a) He felt as if he didn't know them enough.
(b) He thought they were very inept.
(c) He was very close to them.
(d) He deliberately kept himself distant from them since he was a commander not a friend.
2. Strategies from which wars are included in this book?
(a) World War I through the Vietnam War.
(b) The Civil War through World War II.
(c) The Revolution through World War I.
(d) World War I through World War II.
3. How did John feel about the Academy after the school year really began?
(a) He appreciated the structure.
(b) He loved the camaraderie of the upperclassmen and the easy-to-follow rules.
(c) He didn't like the academics and was often in trouble.
(d) He loved the challenge of the classes.
4. How did John Sidney McCain Sr. die?
(a) He was killed by a man under his command.
(b) He died of old age.
(c) He collapsed at his welcome home celebration.
(d) He died in battle.
5. What award did John Sidney McCain Sr. get for fighting to save damaged destroyers?
(a) Purple Heart.
(b) Medal of Honor.
(c) Distinguished Service Medal.
(d) Navy Cross.
6. How much oxygen did the USS Gunnel have when it resurfaced after being deeply submerged when the Japanese were around?
(a) Half a day.
(b) They were completely out.
(c) Less than an hour.
(d) One day.
7. Who almost blasted the USS Gunnel?
(a) The Germans.
(b) The British.
(c) Other Americans.
(d) The Russians.
8. What physical handicap almost kept John Sidney McCain Sr. from serving?
(a) Defective hearing.
(b) A weak arm.
(c) Poor eyesight.
(d) A limp.
9. What was John Sidney McCain Sr. supposed to avoid doing with his grandson?
(a) He wasn't supposed to watch his grandson alone.
(b) He wasn't supposed to talk with his grandson.
(c) He was supposed to avoid all talk of war around his grandson.
(d) He wasn't supposed to coddle his grandson.
10. What reputation did John Sidney McCain Sr. have while serving on the USS Ohio and the USS Baltimore?
(a) He was scorned.
(b) He was a partier.
(c) He was unknown.
(d) He was highly regarded.
11. Jack was knowledgable and resourceful about what?
(a) Submarines and how they worked.
(b) War strategies.
(c) Underwater communications.
12. How did John McCain view his father?
(a) A man with varied interests.
(b) As a hero.
(c) As a man who took life way too seriously.
(d) A small man with a big heart.
13. How did John relate to the bully later in life?
(a) He realized he, too, had been a bully.
(b) He apologized to the bully and they became tentative friends.
(c) He felt a connection since they both tried to please their fathers.
(d) They became close friends.
14. Who helped prepare John for the Academy?
(a) His mother.
(b) His father.
(c) The teachers at the public school.
(d) The teachers at Episcopal High School.
15. What two factors contribute to a student's class standing?
(a) Neatness and academic performance.
(b) Academic performance and lineage.
(c) Academic performance and grease grade.
(d) Grease grade and neatness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What medal did John Sidney McCain Sr. get for his courage and leadership in the Guadalcanal campaign?
2. What was John Sidney McCain Jr.'s physique like when he left the Academy?
3. What was Captain Ben Hart known for?
4. Who stood by John Sidney McCain Jr.'s side at the wedding?
5. What did Captain Hart give John demerits for?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)