|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did John Sidney McCain Jr. and his wife find when they came home from their dinner date?
(a) John Sidney McCain Sr was missing, and the baby was alone.
(b) John Sidney McCain Sr was sleeping with his tiny grandson.
(c) John Sidney McCain Sr was drunk.
(d) The house was a disaster.
2. Strategies from which wars are included in this book?
(a) The Revolution through World War I.
(b) World War I through the Vietnam War.
(c) World War I through World War II.
(d) The Civil War through World War II.
3. How did John relate to the bully later in life?
(a) He apologized to the bully and they became tentative friends.
(b) He felt a connection since they both tried to please their fathers.
(c) He realized he, too, had been a bully.
(d) They became close friends.
4. What position did Jack have in NY in 1965?
(a) He was a general.
(b) He was president of for the delegation to the United Nations Military Staff Committee and Commander of the Eastern Sea Frontier and the Atlantic Reserve Fleet.
(c) He was chairman of for the delegation to the United Nations Military Staff Committee and Commander of the Eastern Sea Frontier and the Atlantic Reserve Fleet.
(d) He was vice chairman for the delegation to the United Nations Military Staff Committee and Commander of the Eastern Sea Frontier and the Atlantic Reserve Fleet.
5. How did the men serving under Jack feel about him?
(a) They were afraid of him.
(b) They greatly respected him.
(c) They thought he was wise, but too distant.
(d) They thought he was a foolish leader.
6. What strength did McCain's mother have that helped the family?
(a) She had natural charm, beauty, and social graces.
(b) She knew the inner-workings of the Navy.
(c) She was brilliant.
(d) She was impeccably neat.
7. How did John Sidney McCain Sr. do in school?
(a) He was valedictorian.
(b) He was average academically.
(c) He was suspended for his grades.
(d) He did not do well in school.
8. Who almost blasted the USS Gunnel?
(a) The Russians.
(b) The British.
(c) The Germans.
(d) Other Americans.
9. What happened to the USS Gunnel as it headed toward Scotland?
(a) It was torpedoed.
(b) The engines malfunctioned while enemies chased them.
(c) It sprung a leak.
(d) It had an incredibly smooth trip.
10. How did Jack feel about the men serving under him?
(a) He greatly respected them.
(b) He was frustrated with them.
(c) He loved them, but didn't think they were well trained.
(d) He thought they were ignorant.
11. How did John Sidney McCain Sr. die?
(a) He collapsed at his welcome home celebration.
(b) He was killed by a man under his command.
(c) He died in battle.
(d) He died of old age.
12. What did Captain Hart give John demerits for?
(a) Wreaking major havoc.
(b) Everything he did.
(d) Minor infractions.
13. What reputation did John Sidney McCain Sr. have while serving on the USS Ohio and the USS Baltimore?
(a) He was scorned.
(b) He was a partier.
(c) He was unknown.
(d) He was highly regarded.
14. What happened when John McCain was five?
(a) His grandfather died.
(b) The Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor.
(c) His brother went off to war.
(d) His father died.
15. What medal did John Sidney McCain Sr. get for his courage and leadership in the Guadalcanal campaign?
(a) Navy Cross.
(b) Purple Heart.
(c) Distinguished Service Medal.
(d) Medal of Honor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the USS Gunnel supposed to do after its mission?
2. Who were John McCain's heroes?
3. How did John feel about the Academy after the school year really began?
4. How did the officers feel about Captain Ben Hart?
5. What signal did the USS Gunnel send out?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)