|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who taught John how to command a ship?
(a) Lieutenant Commander Eugene Carroll.
(b) Captain Ben Hart.
(c) Admiral Nimitz.
(d) Jack McCain.
2. What reputation did John Sidney McCain Sr. have while serving on the USS Ohio and the USS Baltimore?
(a) He was highly regarded.
(b) He was a partier.
(c) He was scorned.
(d) He was unknown.
3. In what area did John's interests lie?
(b) The Surface Navy.
(c) Naval Aviation.
4. This book offers a real account of what?
(a) Triumphs and pitfalls of military men.
(b) Triumphs of politics.
(c) John McCain's father's experiences in a prison camp.
(d) Pitfalls of politics.
5. What physical handicap almost kept John Sidney McCain Sr. from serving?
(a) Poor eyesight.
(b) A limp.
(c) Defective hearing.
(d) A weak arm.
6. How did John Sidney McCain Jr. feel about the Navy?
(a) He was obsessed with it.
(b) He felt is was slightly more interesting than the Army.
(c) He thought it was the best of all the poor choices.
(d) He felt like joining it was a necessary chore.
7. How did the men serving under Jack feel about him?
(a) They greatly respected him.
(b) They were afraid of him.
(c) They thought he was a foolish leader.
(d) They thought he was wise, but too distant.
8. How did John McCain remember his grandfather?
(a) As a hero.
(b) As a small man that lived large.
(c) As an autocratic presence.
(d) As a remote stranger.
9. What did the signal from the USS Gunnel do?
(a) It aggravated the enemy.
(b) It was lost in the stormy waters.
(c) It saved their lives.
(d) It showed their position.
10. How did John feel about the Academy when he first arrived there?
(a) He hated it.
(b) He thought it was challenging.
(c) He loved it.
(d) He thought it was easy.
11. What happened when John McCain was five?
(a) His father died.
(b) His grandfather died.
(c) His brother went off to war.
(d) The Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor.
12. What did Captain Hart give John demerits for?
(a) Wreaking major havoc.
(b) Minor infractions.
(c) Everything he did.
13. "Faith of My Fathers" is about all the following men except for which one?
(a) Slew McCain.
(b) John Laurence McCain.
(c) John Sidney McCain III.
(d) John Sidney McCain Jr.
14. John Sidney McCain Sr. was the first McCain to do what?
(a) Win a medal.
(b) Get an education.
(c) Choose Army over Navy.
(d) Choose Navy over Army.
15. What was the USS Gunnel supposed to do after its mission?
(a) Head to safety.
(b) Head to Pearl Harbor.
(c) Lower its flag.
(d) Open fire on Britain.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did John Sidney McCain Sr. do in school?
2. Who almost blasted the USS Gunnel?
3. What happened to the USS Gunnel as it headed toward Scotland?
4. How many Distinguished Service Medals did John Sidney McCain Sr. receive during World War II?
5. Where was John Sidney McCain Jr. stationed when John Sidney McCain Sr. first met his grandson?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)