|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What award did John Sidney McCain Sr. get for fighting to save damaged destroyers?
(a) Navy Cross.
(b) Medal of Honor.
(c) Purple Heart.
(d) Distinguished Service Medal.
2. How did Jack feel about the men serving under him?
(a) He loved them, but didn't think they were well trained.
(b) He thought they were ignorant.
(c) He was frustrated with them.
(d) He greatly respected them.
3. How did John relate to the bully later in life?
(a) He realized he, too, had been a bully.
(b) He felt a connection since they both tried to please their fathers.
(c) They became close friends.
(d) He apologized to the bully and they became tentative friends.
4. Jack was knowledgable and resourceful about what?
(a) Submarines and how they worked.
(b) Underwater communications.
(c) War strategies.
5. What strength did McCain's mother have that helped the family?
(a) She had natural charm, beauty, and social graces.
(b) She was brilliant.
(c) She knew the inner-workings of the Navy.
(d) She was impeccably neat.
6. Who stood by John Sidney McCain Jr.'s side at the wedding?
(a) His best friend.
(b) John Sidney McCain Sr.
(c) No one.
(d) His father-in-law.
7. What award did Jack receive after his work on the amphibious assault?
(a) National Defense Service Medal.
(b) Meritorious Service Medal.
(c) The Legion of Merit.
(d) Navy & Marine Corps Achievement Medal.
8. What reputation did John Sidney McCain Sr. have while serving on the USS Ohio and the USS Baltimore?
(a) He was scorned.
(b) He was a partier.
(c) He was unknown.
(d) He was highly regarded.
9. Who was John's main teacher?
(a) A priest.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) His mother.
(d) His father.
10. How much oxygen did the USS Gunnel have when it resurfaced after being deeply submerged when the Japanese were around?
(a) Less than an hour.
(b) They were completely out.
(c) Half a day.
(d) One day.
11. What was the USS Gunnel supposed to do after its mission?
(a) Lower its flag.
(b) Head to Pearl Harbor.
(c) Open fire on Britain.
(d) Head to safety.
12. How did John feel about his actions regarding the bully?
(a) He felt they weren't honorable and regretted doing the deed.
(b) He thought it was a great story.
(c) He wished he were slightly meaner.
(d) He bragged about the incident to all who would listen.
13. What physical handicap almost kept John Sidney McCain Sr. from serving?
(a) Poor eyesight.
(b) A weak arm.
(c) Defective hearing.
(d) A limp.
14. What was John Sidney McCain Sr.'s appearance like?
(a) He never stepped out of uniform.
(b) He always wore the most current styles when he was out of uniform.
(c) He was notoriously disheveled.
(d) He was immaculate.
15. How old was John McCain when his grandfather died?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened after John Sidney McCain Sr. made a decision during a typhoon?
2. Where was John Sidney McCain Jr. stationed when John Sidney McCain Sr. first met his grandson?
3. What happened when John McCain was five?
4. Where did Jack go before he went to the Academy?
5. How deep did the USS Gunnel submerge when surrounded by the seven Japanese freighters?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)