|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to the USS Gunnel as it headed toward Scotland?
(a) The engines malfunctioned while enemies chased them.
(b) It was torpedoed.
(c) It had an incredibly smooth trip.
(d) It sprung a leak.
2. What did the signal from the USS Gunnel do?
(a) It aggravated the enemy.
(b) It saved their lives.
(c) It was lost in the stormy waters.
(d) It showed their position.
3. How many Distinguished Service Medals did John Sidney McCain Sr. receive during World War II?
4. What was Captain Ben Hart known for?
(a) He was a tyrant to all students.
(b) He really cared about the students.
(c) He was a comedian as well as a teacher.
(d) He was a stickler for the rules.
5. What did Captain Hart give John demerits for?
(a) Minor infractions.
(b) Wreaking major havoc.
(d) Everything he did.
6. This book offers a real account of what?
(a) Triumphs of politics.
(b) Triumphs and pitfalls of military men.
(c) Pitfalls of politics.
(d) John McCain's father's experiences in a prison camp.
7. What happened when John McCain was five?
(a) His grandfather died.
(b) The Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor.
(c) His brother went off to war.
(d) His father died.
8. How did those under John Sidney McCain Sr. view him?
(a) He was a born leader who garnered respect.
(b) They felt he was too autocratic.
(c) They didn't understand his decisions and felt he was just a partier who didn't take fighting seriously.
(d) They thought he was weak.
9. What job did John McCain's grandfather have?
(a) Naval cartographer.
(b) Naval Aviator.
(d) Aircraft carrier designer.
10. How deep did the USS Gunnel submerge when surrounded by the seven Japanese freighters?
(a) 50 feet.
(b) 300 feet.
(c) It didn't submerge.
(d) 3,000 feet.
11. What two factors contribute to a student's class standing?
(a) Academic performance and lineage.
(b) Academic performance and grease grade.
(c) Grease grade and neatness.
(d) Neatness and academic performance.
12. What signal did the USS Gunnel send out?
(a) A Morse Code message with light beams.
(b) A white flag.
(c) An illuminated country flag.
(d) A red smoke signal rocket.
13. How often did John McCain see his grandfather?
(c) Once a month.
14. How did John McCain remember his grandfather?
(a) As a small man that lived large.
(b) As a remote stranger.
(c) As an autocratic presence.
(d) As a hero.
15. How did John Sidney McCain Sr. die?
(a) He was killed by a man under his command.
(b) He died of old age.
(c) He died in battle.
(d) He collapsed at his welcome home celebration.
Short Answer Questions
1. John Sidney McCain Sr. was the first McCain to do what?
2. How did Roberta McCain's parents feel about John Sidney McCain Jr.?
3. What did John and his friends do to the bully in retaliation?
4. How did John feel about his actions regarding the bully?
5. How did John McCain view his father?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)