|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What strength did McCain's mother have that helped the family?
(a) She was impeccably neat.
(b) She was brilliant.
(c) She knew the inner-workings of the Navy.
(d) She had natural charm, beauty, and social graces.
2. What amphibious assault did Jack command?
(a) Operation Steel Pike 1.
(b) Operation Balavegaya.
(c) Operation Chromite.
(d) Operation Camargue.
3. How many Distinguished Service Medals did John Sidney McCain Sr. receive during World War II?
4. What position did Jack have in NY in 1965?
(a) He was vice chairman for the delegation to the United Nations Military Staff Committee and Commander of the Eastern Sea Frontier and the Atlantic Reserve Fleet.
(b) He was chairman of for the delegation to the United Nations Military Staff Committee and Commander of the Eastern Sea Frontier and the Atlantic Reserve Fleet.
(c) He was a general.
(d) He was president of for the delegation to the United Nations Military Staff Committee and Commander of the Eastern Sea Frontier and the Atlantic Reserve Fleet.
5. What signal did the USS Gunnel send out?
(a) A Morse Code message with light beams.
(b) A white flag.
(c) An illuminated country flag.
(d) A red smoke signal rocket.
6. What was Roberta and John Sidney McCain Jr's wedding like?
(a) They had a small ceremony with just immediate relatives.
(b) They had a huge society wedding.
(c) They eloped.
(d) They didn't invite family - just friends.
7. Who almost blasted the USS Gunnel?
(a) The Russians.
(b) Other Americans.
(c) The British.
(d) The Germans.
8. What was John Sidney McCain Sr.'s appearance like?
(a) He never stepped out of uniform.
(b) He was immaculate.
(c) He always wore the most current styles when he was out of uniform.
(d) He was notoriously disheveled.
9. Where was John Sidney McCain Jr. stationed when John Sidney McCain Sr. first met his grandson?
(b) The Dominican Republic.
10. How did John relate to the bully later in life?
(a) He apologized to the bully and they became tentative friends.
(b) They became close friends.
(c) He realized he, too, had been a bully.
(d) He felt a connection since they both tried to please their fathers.
11. Who helped prepare John for the Academy?
(a) His mother.
(b) The teachers at the public school.
(c) His father.
(d) The teachers at Episcopal High School.
12. What award did John Sidney McCain Sr. get for fighting to save damaged destroyers?
(a) Navy Cross.
(b) Purple Heart.
(c) Medal of Honor.
(d) Distinguished Service Medal.
13. What did the signal from the USS Gunnel do?
(a) It aggravated the enemy.
(b) It showed their position.
(c) It saved their lives.
(d) It was lost in the stormy waters.
14. Who were John McCain's heroes?
(a) John Sidney McCain Jr. and Sr.
(b) All Naval men.
(c) All Marines.
(d) His ancestors back to the Revolution.
15. How did the officers feel about Captain Ben Hart?
(a) They did not respect him.
(b) They ridiculed him.
(c) They admired him.
(d) They were jealous of his relationship with the students.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Roberta McCain's parents feel about John Sidney McCain Jr.?
2. "Faith of My Fathers" is about all the following men except for which one?
3. What was John Sidney McCain Jr.'s physique like when he left the Academy?
4. Who stood by John Sidney McCain Jr.'s side at the wedding?
5. What happened to the USS Gunnel as it headed toward Scotland?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)