|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was one of John's favorite subjects in school?
(c) He hated all the subjects.
2. What strength did McCain's mother have that helped the family?
(a) She knew the inner-workings of the Navy.
(b) She had natural charm, beauty, and social graces.
(c) She was brilliant.
(d) She was impeccably neat.
3. How was John different from his father and grandfather scholastically?
(a) He kept skipping grades.
(b) He was a model student.
(c) He failed everything.
(d) He enjoyed some subjects.
4. Strategies from which wars are included in this book?
(a) The Revolution through World War I.
(b) The Civil War through World War II.
(c) World War I through the Vietnam War.
(d) World War I through World War II.
5. How did John Sidney McCain Sr feel about the men who served under him?
(a) He felt as if he didn't know them enough.
(b) He deliberately kept himself distant from them since he was a commander not a friend.
(c) He was very close to them.
(d) He thought they were very inept.
6. How did John McCain remember his grandfather?
(a) As a remote stranger.
(b) As a hero.
(c) As a small man that lived large.
(d) As an autocratic presence.
7. How did John feel about the Academy after the school year really began?
(a) He appreciated the structure.
(b) He loved the camaraderie of the upperclassmen and the easy-to-follow rules.
(c) He loved the challenge of the classes.
(d) He didn't like the academics and was often in trouble.
8. What was the USS Gunnel supposed to do after its mission?
(a) Head to Pearl Harbor.
(b) Lower its flag.
(c) Head to safety.
(d) Open fire on Britain.
9. This book offers a real account of what?
(a) Triumphs of politics.
(b) John McCain's father's experiences in a prison camp.
(c) Triumphs and pitfalls of military men.
(d) Pitfalls of politics.
10. How did those under John Sidney McCain Sr. view him?
(a) They thought he was weak.
(b) They didn't understand his decisions and felt he was just a partier who didn't take fighting seriously.
(c) They felt he was too autocratic.
(d) He was a born leader who garnered respect.
11. How did John feel about the Academy when he first arrived there?
(a) He thought it was challenging.
(b) He thought it was easy.
(c) He loved it.
(d) He hated it.
12. Who taught John how to command a ship?
(a) Admiral Nimitz.
(b) Captain Ben Hart.
(c) Lieutenant Commander Eugene Carroll.
(d) Jack McCain.
13. Who were John McCain's heroes?
(a) John Sidney McCain Jr. and Sr.
(b) His ancestors back to the Revolution.
(c) All Marines.
(d) All Naval men.
14. How long did people mourn for John Sidney McCain Sr .after his death?
(a) A week.
(b) A year.
(c) More than a decade.
(d) A month.
15. What was John's term paper for history class about?
(a) His grandfather.
(c) World War I.
(d) The Civil War.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was John Sidney McCain Sr.'s appearance like?
2. How did John Sidney McCain Sr. die?
3. Jack was knowledgable and resourceful about what?
4. What did Captain Hart give John demerits for?
5. What was John Sidney McCain Jr.'s physique like when he left the Academy?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)