|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who taught John how to command a ship?
(a) Captain Ben Hart.
(b) Lieutenant Commander Eugene Carroll.
(c) Jack McCain.
(d) Admiral Nimitz.
2. How did John Sidney McCain Sr. die?
(a) He collapsed at his welcome home celebration.
(b) He died of old age.
(c) He died in battle.
(d) He was killed by a man under his command.
3. How did Roberta McCain's parents feel about John Sidney McCain Jr.?
(a) They felt he would be a great leader one day.
(b) They didn't appreciate him.
(c) They tolerated him.
(d) They adored him.
4. How did John feel about his actions regarding the bully?
(a) He bragged about the incident to all who would listen.
(b) He thought it was a great story.
(c) He felt they weren't honorable and regretted doing the deed.
(d) He wished he were slightly meaner.
5. John Sidney McCain Sr. was the first McCain to do what?
(a) Get an education.
(b) Choose Army over Navy.
(c) Choose Navy over Army.
(d) Win a medal.
6. What was the USS Gunnel supposed to do after its mission?
(a) Head to safety.
(b) Head to Pearl Harbor.
(c) Open fire on Britain.
(d) Lower its flag.
7. How did the officers feel about Captain Ben Hart?
(a) They ridiculed him.
(b) They admired him.
(c) They did not respect him.
(d) They were jealous of his relationship with the students.
8. How old was John McCain when his grandfather died?
9. Jack served as second in command on the USS St. Paul in which war?
(a) World War II.
(b) Korean War.
(c) World War I.
(d) The Vietnam War.
10. What was John Sidney McCain Sr. supposed to avoid doing with his grandson?
(a) He wasn't supposed to talk with his grandson.
(b) He wasn't supposed to coddle his grandson.
(c) He was supposed to avoid all talk of war around his grandson.
(d) He wasn't supposed to watch his grandson alone.
11. What did Jack command during World War II?
(a) Three battalions .
(b) Three cruisers.
(c) Three submarines.
(d) Three troops.
12. What position did Jack have in NY in 1965?
(a) He was a general.
(b) He was president of for the delegation to the United Nations Military Staff Committee and Commander of the Eastern Sea Frontier and the Atlantic Reserve Fleet.
(c) He was vice chairman for the delegation to the United Nations Military Staff Committee and Commander of the Eastern Sea Frontier and the Atlantic Reserve Fleet.
(d) He was chairman of for the delegation to the United Nations Military Staff Committee and Commander of the Eastern Sea Frontier and the Atlantic Reserve Fleet.
13. What did the signal from the USS Gunnel do?
(a) It was lost in the stormy waters.
(b) It saved their lives.
(c) It showed their position.
(d) It aggravated the enemy.
14. How did John McCain remember his grandfather?
(a) As a remote stranger.
(b) As a small man that lived large.
(c) As an autocratic presence.
(d) As a hero.
15. What was John Sidney McCain Sr.'s appearance like?
(a) He never stepped out of uniform.
(b) He always wore the most current styles when he was out of uniform.
(c) He was notoriously disheveled.
(d) He was immaculate.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did John Sidney McCain Sr feel about the men who served under him?
2. What job did John McCain's grandfather have?
3. How deep did the USS Gunnel submerge when surrounded by the seven Japanese freighters?
4. How many Distinguished Service Medals did John Sidney McCain Sr. receive during World War II?
5. Where was John Sidney McCain Jr. stationed when John Sidney McCain Sr. first met his grandson?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)