|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Faber show his fear toward Montag in Part I?
2. What does Montag use to start the fire in the attic book owner’s home?
3. What aspect of Montag's job enthralls him?
4. Who turned the attic book owner over to the authorities?
5. What shocks Montag when he first observes Clarisse's family?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Montag treated on his first day back at work after his “illness”?
2. How does Mildred react to Montag’s revelation?
3. What most enthralls Montag about his job?
4. What horrifying scene does Montag come home to after escorting Clarisse back to the neighborhood, and what does this lead him to realize about Mildred?
5. How does Montag react after the book burning at the elderly woman’s home?
6. What is Mildred Montag’s obsession, and how does it affect her personal life?
7. Why does Beatty come to visit Montag after the book burning at the elderly woman’s home?
8. What does Montag reveal to Mildred after Beatty leaves their home?
9. What is the hound at work specifically trained to do?
10. How does Montag feel about the elderly woman’s book burning the next morning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Mildred symbolize the state of unhappiness in Montag’s society? What does Mildred value, and how do her obsessions affect her personal life, particularly in her marriage? What message is Bradbury sending the reader about the comparison between television and books? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
What does Montag hope to discover by reading through the illegal books? How does his quest for knowledge affect his relationship with government, Mildred, Clarisse, and himself? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
What does the river in Fahrenheit 451 symbolize? In what ways are both fire and water used as cleansing agents in the novel? Then, describe the two daydreams Montag experiences while floating down the river, and what they express about his character journey. Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)