|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Faber show his fear toward Montag in Part I?
2. How did Clarisse die?
3. What does Montag steal from the attic book owner’s home?
4. What has changed about Montag’s life since the character went missing?
5. Why doesn’t Mildred want to keep reading the books with Montag?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Montag come to suspect about the mechanical firedog at his work?
2. What does Montag reveal to Mildred after Beatty leaves their home?
3. What does Montag realize about life in his society as the technicians work on Mildred?
4. How does Montag react to the fire call at the elderly woman’s house in Section One?
5. Why does Beatty come to visit Montag after the book burning at the elderly woman’s home?
6. What happens to people who are found with books in their possession?
7. What is Mildred Montag’s obsession, and how does it affect her personal life?
8. According to Beatty, what was the main goal of the firemen when the book burnings first began, and how does this fit into the new society’s goal?
9. How does Montag feel about the elderly woman’s book burning the next morning?
10. How does Montag react after the book burning at the elderly woman’s home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the society Montag lives in. What control does the government have over its people, and what is the motivation behind this control? Do you see any parallels between Montag’s society and our own? What do you think is Bradbury’s message about government and censorship? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
What does Montag hope to discover by reading through the illegal books? How does his quest for knowledge affect his relationship with government, Mildred, Clarisse, and himself? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role firemen play in Montag’s society. Why were firemen first needed, and how has their role changed over time? Then, discuss Montag’s personal transformation within the role. What does he like about his job? When did that change? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)