|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT something Montag struggles to understand?
2. What has changed about the ambulance drivers’ schedule in the past two years?
3. How does Mildred respond to Montag’s conviction the day after the ambulence was called to their home?
4. Which of the following characters goes missing, greatly worrying Montag?
5. What is the most important thing in Mildred’s life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is interesting about Guy Montag’s job as a fireman?
2. What most enthralls Montag about his job?
3. What does Montag come to suspect about the mechanical firedog at his work?
4. How does Montag react after the book burning at the elderly woman’s home?
5. What surprises Montag about Clarisse’s family when he first meets them?
6. What does the elderly woman do before the firemen light the blaze in her home?
7. What does Montag realize about life in his society as the technicians work on Mildred?
8. How does Montag react to the fire call at the elderly woman’s house in Section One?
9. What is the hound at work specifically trained to do?
10. Why did the book burnings first begin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of Montag’s possession of the Bible? Why is this book important both in Montag’s personal quest, but in the novel’s overarching message about literature? Does this novel have a religious message for the reader? Why or why not? What is the significance of the Biblical passage at the end of the novel? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role firemen play in Montag’s society. Why were firemen first needed, and how has their role changed over time? Then, discuss Montag’s personal transformation within the role. What does he like about his job? When did that change? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Montag’s transition from duty-bound fireman to intellectual revolutionary. What prompted Montag to abandon his post in search of great literature? Choose to major events in Montag’s life and explain why they were turning points for his character. What do you think Montag’s fate might be five or ten years after the novel’s conclusion? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)