|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shocks Montag when he first observes Clarisse's family?
2. Why does Montag believe the firedog has come to view him as an enemy?
3. If Montag wants to talk to Faber, what does he realize he must do?
4. Who actually lights the fire at the attic book owner’s home?
5. Why does Mildred react the way she does to the sound when Montag is reading in the kitchen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to people who are found with books in their possession?
2. What does Montag realize about life in his society as the technicians work on Mildred?
3. How does Montag feel about the elderly woman’s book burning the next morning?
4. What does Montag come to suspect about the mechanical firedog at his work?
5. According to Beatty, what was the main goal of the firemen when the book burnings first began, and how does this fit into the new society’s goal?
6. What surprises Montag about Clarisse’s family when he first meets them?
7. How is Montag treated on his first day back at work after his “illness”?
8. What horrifying scene does Montag come home to after escorting Clarisse back to the neighborhood, and what does this lead him to realize about Mildred?
9. Why did the book burnings first begin?
10. Why does Beatty come to visit Montag after the book burning at the elderly woman’s home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Captain Beatty represent in regards to government and censorship. Do you think Beatty believes in the value of his societal position, or is he simply an insecure man with power to exploit? Why might Beatty want society to be completely homogenous, and what does his treatment of Montag tell you about his character? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of Montag’s possession of the Bible? Why is this book important both in Montag’s personal quest, but in the novel’s overarching message about literature? Does this novel have a religious message for the reader? Why or why not? What is the significance of the Biblical passage at the end of the novel? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
What does the river in Fahrenheit 451 symbolize? In what ways are both fire and water used as cleansing agents in the novel? Then, describe the two daydreams Montag experiences while floating down the river, and what they express about his character journey. Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)