|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What noise frightens Montag as he reads in his kitchen?
2. What flusters Montag when he arrived at the book burning in the attic?
3. What is the general mission of the fire department in the novel?
4. How does Montag accidentally frighten Professor Faber?
5. When discussing his personal history with Montag, what does Faber call himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Montag feel about the elderly woman’s book burning the next morning?
2. How is Montag treated on his first day back at work after his “illness”?
3. What horrifying scene does Montag come home to after escorting Clarisse back to the neighborhood, and what does this lead him to realize about Mildred?
4. Why did the book burnings first begin?
5. What does Montag realize about life in his society as the technicians work on Mildred?
6. Why does Beatty come to visit Montag after the book burning at the elderly woman’s home?
7. What most enthralls Montag about his job?
8. What does Clarisse question about Montag’s way of life, and how does he react to her questions?
9. What is the hound at work specifically trained to do?
10. According to Beatty, what was the main goal of the firemen when the book burnings first began, and how does this fit into the new society’s goal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Montag’s relationship with Professor Faber. Where did the two men first meet, and what is significant about their meeting? Why did Montag think that Faber would make a good mentor in his quest for knowledge. Based on your reading, do you agree with Montag’s assessment? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Clarisse’s role in the novel. How does she act as a catalyst for Montag’s change? Do you think he could have / would have changed without her influence? Is it significant that catalyst to Montag’s change is a young, beautiful woman? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
What does the river in Fahrenheit 451 symbolize? In what ways are both fire and water used as cleansing agents in the novel? Then, describe the two daydreams Montag experiences while floating down the river, and what they express about his character journey. Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)