|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What interrupts Montag’s confrontation with Beatty?
(a) The fire alarm sounding
(b) The building exploding
(c) The fire hound barking
(d) The sounds of sirens wailing
2. How does Captain Beatty fit into Montag and Faber’s secret plan?
(a) They want to kill him
(b) They want him to be their leader
(c) They want to learn more about him
(d) They want to recruit him
3. What does Faber think books smell like?
4. According to Faber, what is missing from most people’s lives, causing unhappiness?
(b) Fulfilling jobs
5. How does Beatty treat the stolen book Montag returns?
(a) He tosses it unceremoniously in the trash
(b) He reads it aloud to the firehouse, mocking the words
(c) He shreds it with his bare hands
(d) He forces Montag to burn it then and there
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Faber, what is inevitable?
2. What does Mrs. Phelps find most interesting about her two children?
3. What does Montag do to finally convince Faber to help him in his quest?
4. The next morning, how does Montag feel about his confrontation with Mildred about the poem?
5. What does Faber ask Montag to do on his way home from their first meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the meaning behind Section Two’s title, “The Sand and the Sieve”?
2. What does Faber say about the magical properties of books?
3. Where does Montag hide the illegal books after revealing them to Mildred, and why?
4. What is the first glimmer readers see of Montag beginning to think for himself?
5. Why does Faber consider himself a coward?
6. Who is professor Faber, and how does Montag know him?
7. Describe Mildred’s relationship with her television programs.
8. What information was used to turn Montag in to the authorities, and where did it come from?
9. How does Beatty want Montag to destroy his home?
10. What reasons does Montag give for his desire to understand what is written in the books?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)