|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What conclusion does Clarisse come to when checking whether Montag is in love?
(a) He is not in love
(b) He is incapable of love
(c) He was in love but had his heart broken
(d) He does not believe in love
2. After his night with Clarisse, what shocking sight does Montag return home to?
(a) Mildred making love to another man
(b) Mildred angrily awaits his return, a gun in hand
(c) His house has burned down
(d) Mildred overdosed on sleeping pills
3. What does Clarisse ask Montag after their first meeting, before she goes home?
(a) If he has a dog
(b) If he has ever wanted to travel
(c) If he plays sports
(d) If he is happy
4. Why does Mildred react the way she does to the sound when Montag is reading in the kitchen?
(a) Because she doesn’t want to go to jail
(b) Because she doesn’t understand the significance of the sound
(c) Because she is jealous of Clarisse
(d) Because she is angry with Montag
5. Who turned the attic book owner over to the authorities?
(a) A schoolteacher
(b) A priest
(c) A neighbor
(d) A stranger
Short Answer Questions
1. What shocks Montag when he first observes Clarisse's family?
2. At the beginning of the novel, how does Montag feel about his job?
3. What aspect of Clarisse’s personality does Montag find most attractive?
4. What aspect of Mildred’s personality does Montag most resent?
5. At what time of day does Montag first meet Clarisse?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Beatty, what was the main goal of the firemen when the book burnings first began, and how does this fit into the new society’s goal?
2. What is interesting about Guy Montag’s job as a fireman?
3. How does Mildred react to Montag’s revelation?
4. What is Mildred Montag’s obsession, and how does it affect her personal life?
5. How is Montag treated on his first day back at work after his “illness”?
6. How does Montag feel about the elderly woman’s book burning the next morning?
7. Why did the book burnings first begin?
8. How does Montag react after the book burning at the elderly woman’s home?
9. What surprises Montag about Clarisse’s family when he first meets them?
10. What does Clarisse question about Montag’s way of life, and how does he react to her questions?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)