|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do Montag and Clarisse do each morning?
(a) Make love
(b) Discuss poetry
(c) Walk to work
(d) Have coffee
2. Why doesn’t Mildred want to keep reading the books with Montag?
(a) Because she’s jealous
(b) Because she can’t read
(c) Because she’s intimidated
(d) Because she’s bored
3. What do Mildred and Ann spend their time talking about?
(a) Their husbands
(b) Government censorship
(c) Soap operas
(d) Baking recipes
4. What does Montag believe about the mechanical firedog at work?
(a) It is evil
(b) It has been bugged
(c) It is alive
(d) It knows his secrets
5. What aspect of Montag's job enthralls him?
(a) Watching fire burn
(b) Sliding down the fire pole when the alarm rings
(c) Meeting the cute nurses at the hospital
(d) Rescuing cats and other animals
6. How old is Clarisse McClellan?
7. What does Montag beg the attic book owner to do before he burns down her house?
(a) Teach him to read
(b) Abandon her books
(c) Kill herself to avoid imprisonment
(d) Hide her books
8. Why are ambulance drivers called to Montag’s home?
(a) Because Montag has knocked out Mildred’s lover
(b) Because Mildred was burned in the fire
(c) Because Mildred needs her stomach pumped
(d) Because the bullet grazes Montag’s cheek
9. Which of the following causes increased paranoia for Montag?
(a) The way his coworkers assess him
(b) Clarisse's incessant questions
(c) His wife's suicide attempts
(d) The objects hidden in his house
10. How does Faber feel about the Bible?
(a) He despises it as trash
(b) He believes it is God's sacred word
(c) He calls it the history of Christianity
(d) He fears its powerful history
11. What is the most important thing in Mildred’s life?
(a) Her television
(b) Her religion
(c) Her education
(d) Her husband
12. Which of the following is NOT something Montag struggles to understand?
(a) Why the elderly woman killed herself
(b) Whether Mildred is capable of love
(c) Why no one discusses life’s realities
(d) How and why Clarisse died
13. How does Mildred respond to Montag's story about the book owner's death?
(a) She is indifferent
(b) She is devastated
(c) She is amused
(d) She is terrified
14. What consumes Mildred's attention all day, the day after the ambulence arrives at their home?
(d) Playing video games
15. What does Montag use to start the fire in the attic book owner’s home?
(a) A torch blower
(b) A pocket lighter
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Faber believe television has done to Jesus' image?
2. What noise frightens Montag as he reads in his kitchen?
3. Who turned the attic book owner over to the authorities?
4. How does Mildred react to the ambulance drivers’ arrival?
5. How does Faber react to Montag’s initial request?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)