|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Serena and Timias stay with the hermit while the rest travel on?
2. Why is Artegall upset with Braggadochio accepting the winning prize?
3. What causes Calidore to stop his quest for the Blatant Beast?
4. What did the father of Amidas and Bracidas leave his son as an inheritance when he died.
5. Which of these is NOT one of the women surrounding Amoret?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Calidore allows Scandal to live after he spends most of his time in the book chasing after him. Why do you think he does this? What good or bad came from this decision? How would the plot have been altered if he had killed the Beast?
Essay Topic 2
Braggadochio is a very foolish and pompous character in this book. What is his real weakness? Where is it illustrated best? How does his folly change the way the plot goes?
Essay Topic 3
Spenser uses the names of his characters as a form of satire on society. He takes some of the key values, emotions, and components of our beings and personifies them in his book. Take five of these names and illustrate whether or not you agree with his stance on that character. Is the description accurate? What would you have changed?
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)