|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is happening when Britomart finds Amoret?
(a) Amoret is tied to a pillar while Busirane casts spells on her.
(b) Busirane has put Amoret under a spell and she attacks Britomart.
(c) Amoret is running away from Busirane who is hurling curses at her.
(d) Busirane is trying to heal Amoret from some of her previous wounds.
2. Why does Pyrochles fight Guymon?
(a) Guyon defends Phedon, and this angers Pyrochles.
(b) He is upset that Guyon tied up Occasion and kept him from having a good fight.
(c) He is angry that Guyon allowed Furor and Occasion to live.
(d) Pyrochles is really Archimago in disguise.
3. What does the Dwarf find in the basement of The House of Pride?
(a) Una trapped in a dungeon.
(b) The bodies of those who would not leave because they had been overcome with pride.
(c) An armory full of weapons of war and destruction.
(d) Mountains of gold and precious stones.
4. What causes Malecasta to faint?
(a) Hearing that The Red Cross Knight will not take pleasure in her because of his love for Una.
(b) Finding that her beloved knight, Britomart, is a woman.
(c) Seeing four of her six knights hewn down by The Red Cross Knight.
(d) Seeing The Red Cross Knight and Britomart together.
5. Why does The Red Cross Knight abandon Una?
(a) Archimago summons his evil spirit to appear as Una being unfaithful with another man.
(b) He is summoned away by the Faerie Queene in a dream.
(c) He does not abandon her. Una is the one who leaves of her own accord.
(d) Una mocks his strength and ability.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what mysterious way was Belphoebe's mother impregnated with her and her twin sister?
2. What gives The Red Cross Knight the courage he needs to slay Error when he is almost defeated?
3. Why is Belphoebe in the woods instead of at court?
4. Who does Cymoent ask for help in avenging her son's death?
5. Why does Timias retreat to the woods as a hermit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the poet forswear his earthly possessions?
2. Why is Artegall so upset with Pollente?
3. What were some notable differences between The House of Pride and The House of Holiness?
4. How is Guyon defeated for the first time in his life?
5. Explain the dream that Britomart has and the interpretation.
6. Why does The Palmer stop Guyon from protecting Pyrochles from Occasion?
7. Where does Arthur find the monster?
8. How is Tristram validated for killing a knight above his status?
9. How is Acrasia finally captured?
10. Who is Calidore most worried about, and why?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)