|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gets in the way of the engagement between The Red Cross Knight and Una?
(a) It is revealed that he has already pledged his hand to Druessa while she was pretending to be Fidessa.
(b) The Red Cross Knight decided to live a life of celibacy and join the House of Holiness that helped him overcome his weaknesses.
(c) Una refuses his hand and declares her love for Arthur.
(d) Una's parents object to the match because of his lowly birth.
2. Why do Britomart and Artegall part after finally finding each other?
(a) They want time to collect money and plan for the festivities of their nuptials.
(b) Neither one of them want to quit their line of duty, so they decide to deny their true feelings.
(c) They feel that a marriage so soon would be fool hardy.
(d) Artegall must finish his quest, and Britomart pledges to help Scudamore find Amoret.
3. Who does Britomart defeat without recognizing?
(d) The Red Cross Knight.
4. How does Lucifera welcome Duessa and The Red Cross Knight as they approach The House of Pride?
(a) She showers them with gifts in an effort to keep him from fulfilling the duty he was sent out to accomplish.
(b) She puts on a parade of her six trusted advisors.
(c) She prepares a glorious feast.
(d) She locks them up in a dungeon because she suspects foul play.
5. What is The Red Cross Knight shown when his destiny is revealed to him?
(a) He will die trying to protect his true love.
(b) He will marry for love and live a quiet but happy life.
(c) After fighting dragons, he will one day be known as a great saint.
(d) His children will live on to be great kings and rulers over many nations.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sansjoy challenge The Red Cross Knight to a duel?
2. Why did Phedon kill his best friend and his betrothed?
3. What does Blandamour suggest the prize for the loser should be in his proposed duel with Braggadochio?
4. How does The Red Cross Knight rise to battle with the dragon a second day after being tossed aside wounded and almost lifeless after the first long day of battle?
5. What does Error vomit up as a defense against The Red Cross Knight's attack?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Belphoebe dwell in the woods when she was born to higher things?
2. What does Arthur make Turpine promise to do in order to keep his life? Why do you think he does this?
3. What were some notable differences between The House of Pride and The House of Holiness?
4. Why are Artegall and Scudamore so happy when Britomart's helmet is knocked off?
5. What is the punishment for prisoners of the Amazons?
6. Why does The Palmer stop Guyon from protecting Pyrochles from Occasion?
7. Who are the three knights chasing Samient, and why are they chasing her?
8. What common ailment do Timias and Serena share?
9. How is Tristram validated for killing a knight above his status?
10. Explain the circumstances that lead to The Red Cross Knight abandoning Una.
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)