|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is heard in the background of the recording?
2. Why does Janie have to do the grocery shopping?
3. What does Janie do with Cabel after school?
4. What class did Janie have to take a re-test for?
5. What is Janie's job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Wang talk to Janie about on her birthday?
2. What is Cabel's occupation?
3. What did Janie learn from Miss Stubin?
4. Why does Janie allow Mr. Durbin's inappropriate conduct to continue unchallenged?
5. What do Janie and Carrie fight about for the first time in the book?
6. Why do Janie and Cabel go to school separately?
7. What do the two calls recorded by the Captain reveal?
8. When does Janie finally admit her true feelings for Cabel?
9. How is Janie different from her school mates?
10. What does Captain say when she hears about the fliers for Mr. Durbin's party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rest and recuperation was something Janie needed many times in this book. When did she use this, and what were some of the effects this resting had on the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Cabel was very upset about what happened with Janie at the party. What happened to Janie, and why was this so upsetting to Cabel? How did this event change him as a person?
Essay Topic 3
Leadership was a theme that was presented many times in this book. What are some of these instances, and what were some of the effects of these leaders and their actions?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)