|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Wang say Janie can't go to a real college?
2. Who is with Janie when she checks her grades?
3. Where does Janie get to use her power in school?
4. How does Janie get a glimpse of her father at the beginning of the book?
5. What does Janie have trouble admitting to Cabel after she gets home from the grocery store?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Cabel's occupation?
2. Why does Janie do so badly in chemistry on her birthday?
3. How does Janie feel about the case she has just been assigned to?
4. Why do Janie and Cabel go to school separately?
5. How does Janie's gift affect her?
6. What do Janie and Carrie fight about for the first time in the book?
7. How did Cabel recently help with a drug bust?
8. What is the warning at the beginning of the green notebook?
9. What does Janie try to see when her mother is dreaming at the beginning of the book?
10. Why does Janie allow Mr. Durbin's inappropriate conduct to continue unchallenged?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this plot?
Essay Topic 2
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)