|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the government of the Gikuyu become eventually?
(a) A kingdom ruled by royalty.
(b) A democratic government.
(c) A communal system.
(d) A dictatorship.
2. At what age is the first stage of Gikuyu youth marked?
(a) Six or seven years old.
(b) Four or five years old.
(c) Three or four years old.
(d) Eight years old.
3. What do Gikuyus do instead of praying to their ancestral spirits?
(a) Give them gitts of respect.
(b) Hold a feast in their honor.
(c) Name their children after them.
(d) Light a fire on top of Mount Kenya in their honor.
4. What does a man pay when he is initiated into the religious and sacrificial council?
(a) A ewe.
(b) A lamb.
(c) A cow.
(d) A goat.
5. For what did the Europeans condemn the Gikuyus?
(a) Medicine men.
Short Answer Questions
1. What musical instruments are used to chase away evil spirits?
2. What do the boys and girls do after the location of the surgery is blessed and ancestral spirits appeased?
3. Where are the strips of the sacrificial animal buried ?
4. What kind of government did the British introduce when they came?
5. What are the young taught?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when a Gikuyu girl accepts a boy in marriage?
2. What did the Gikuyu constitution state?
3. What does Kenyatta hope his analysis of the educational system of the Gikuyu will help the Europeans understand?
4. Describe the initiation of a Gikuyu girl.
5. What happens when a man has a hut suitable for his wife?
6. How did the Gikuyu society become democratic?
7. Where do the Gikuyu worship?
8. What happens if rain fails to fall normally?
9. Describe the harvesting ceremony.
10. Describe the planting ceremony.
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)