|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Under what kind of tree did Gikuyu and his family find nine young men to marry Gikuyu's daughters?
(a) Lemon tree.
(b) Fig tree.
(c) Banyan tree.
(d) Banana tree.
2. How long does it take to build a Gikuyu hut?
(a) A day.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Three days.
(d) A week.
3. Kenyatta gave evidence before the Morris Carter Kenya Land Commission in London in what year?
4. What was the name of Kenyatta's aunt who performed the initiation operation on Gikuyu girls?
5. What does Mr. Kenyatta recognize which is all important?
(a) The danger of his own bias.
(b) His love of the European culture.
(c) The danger of fame and fortune.
(d) His lack of education.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the father of a Gikuyu family called?
2. What is the sign of wealth among the Gikuyu?
3. What was the name of the chief who entered into a treaty with the Europeans and was then deported and died on his way to the coast?
4. Where did Kenyatta live when he was learning the methods of warfare?
5. What is the mbari or nyomba?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the father, the owner of the land, dies?
2. How are the cultural and historical traditions of the Gikuyu people handed down from generation to generation?
3. Describe the hut of a male Gikuyu.
4. What are Gikuyu children expected to do?
5. How does a man go about buying land from a Gikuyu?
6. What happened when the descendents of Gikuyu outgrew the land?
7. What are the basic units of the Gikuyu tribe?
8. Why does Malinkowski write that we can't criticize Kenyatta for belief in magic?
9. How are the children in the Gikuyu tribe viewed?
10. What is Kenyatta speaking of when he refers to those "professional friends of the African"?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)