|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Gikuyu call their grandmother?
2. To whom did Kenyatta act as interpreter to in his big land case?
(a) Chief Lambata.
(b) Chief Kmaha.
(c) Chief Kioi.
(d) Chief Lundita.
3. From whom did the Gikuyu buy grain?
(a) The Masai.
(b) The Gumba.
(c) The Watusi.
(d) The Wakamba.
4. What is the worst thing a Gikuyu man can do to infuriate another?
(a) Get the witchdoctor to cast a spell on him.
(b) Spit on him.
(c) Sleep with his wife.
(d) Insult his mother.
5. How does Mr. Kenyatta present the facts?
(b) With great passion.
(c) With anger.
(d) Objectively without feeling.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the second Royal Commission on land tenure?
2. What is the Gikuyu name for millet?
3. Where did Kenyatta live when he was learning the methods of warfare?
4. How many partitions are in the male Gikuyu's hut?
5. What was the condition that the nine men had to agree to if they wanted to marry Gikuyu's daughters?
Short Essay Questions
1. List some of the activities Kenyatta participated in which make him an excellent representative of his tribe.
2. What is the origin of the Gikuyu's use of iron?
3. What are Gikuyu children expected to do?
4. Describe the hut of a male Gikuyu.
5. How are the cultural and historical traditions of the Gikuyu people handed down from generation to generation?
6. What is considered to be the most important aspect of Gikuyu society and why?
7. To whom is Kenyatta particularly indebted to in the writing of the book?
8. What is Kenyatta speaking of when he refers to those "professional friends of the African"?
9. What does Malinkowski maintain would be a good enough reason for the book?
10. How does the Gikuyu society change from a matriarchal to a patriarchal society?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)