|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is done the day before the circumcision operation?
(a) Feathers are put in the hair.
(b) The head is shaved.
(c) A bracelet with bells is put around the ankle.
(d) The body is painted red and white.
2. When is a Gikuyu man initiated into the religious and sacrificial council?
(a) When his wife is past child-bearing age.
(b) When he becomes an elder.
(c) When two of his daughters marry.
(d) When three of his sons become warriors.
3. What is a name of the Gikuyu God?
4. At what age is a Gikuyu child circumcised?
(a) Fifteen or sixteen.
(c) Seventeen or eighteen.
(d) Twelve or thirteen.
5. When the boy is accepted in marriage, what do his parents do?
(a) They consult with the medicine man of the tribe.
(b) They explain the duties of being a husband to their son.
(c) They visit the parents of the bride to be.
(d) They thank their ancestors in prayer.
6. What are the stomach contents of the sacrificial animal mixed with during the harvesting ceremony?
(a) Sap of a tree and the bark.
(c) Fruit and nuts.
(d) Ground up fish.
7. What does the boy do when he is accepted by the girl for marriage?
(a) He tells his parents.
(b) He sends the girl a bouquet of flowers.
(c) He celebrates with his friends.
(d) He sends gifts to the girl's parents.
8. When is a man initiated into the council of peace?
(a) When a man marries.
(b) When a man owns his own hut and land.
(c) When a man has a child to be circumcised.
(d) When a man is 50 years old.
9. When a man becomes ill, ________________ are sought.
(b) Gikuyu gods.
(c) Medicine men.
10. What does the father teach his son about plants and roots?
(a) Which ones have magic power.
(b) The names and uses.
(d) Which ones are poisonous.
11. What do Gikuyus do instead of praying to their ancestral spirits?
(a) Name their children after them.
(b) Hold a feast in their honor.
(c) Light a fire on top of Mount Kenya in their honor.
(d) Give them gitts of respect.
12. What is the first stage of Gikuyu courtship?
(a) The boy sings outside the girl's hut in the evening.
(b) The boy and his friends visit the home of the girl.
(c) The boy asks the girl's father for her hand in marriage.
(d) The boy sends gifts to the girl's hut.
13. To what or whom does an elder recite a prayer at the planting ceremony?
(a) Rain dancers.
(b) Future harvest.
(c) Gikuyu God.
14. How many wives do Gikuyu men usually have?
(a) Around fifteen.
(b) Around twenty-five.
(c) Around ten.
(d) Around sixteen.
15. For what did the Europeans condemn the Gikuyus?
(c) Medicine men.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kenyatta feel the Gikuyu form of education is better than formal education.
2. Where are the strips of the sacrificial animal buried ?
3. What does a man pay when he is initiated into the religious and sacrificial council?
4. Where is the Gikuyu God supposed to reside?
5. What are the young taught?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)