|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the government of the Gikuyu become eventually?
(a) A democratic government.
(b) A kingdom ruled by royalty.
(c) A dictatorship.
(d) A communal system.
2. What did the Gikuyus consider "white man's magic"?
(b) Western medicine.
(c) Reading and writing.
(d) Having one wife.
3. What do Gikuyus do instead of praying to their ancestral spirits?
(a) Give them gitts of respect.
(b) Name their children after them.
(c) Hold a feast in their honor.
(d) Light a fire on top of Mount Kenya in their honor.
4. Who plants the seeds in the Gikuyu society?
(a) Only the elders.
(b) Women and children.
(c) Medicine men.
(d) All males.
5. How do the Gikuyu people finally kill the evil spirits?
(a) Suffocate them.
(b) Drown them.
(c) Strangle them.
(d) Burn them.
6. What is the first thing the Gikuyu do when they decide evil spirits have brought illness?
(a) Pray to their god.
(b) Choose a night to fight the evil spirits.
(c) Make a sacrifice to their god.
(d) Ask the medicine man for a spell.
7. What is the fourth stage of the marriage arrangements?
(a) Holding a feast.
(b) Sending gifts to the bride's parents.
(c) Slaughtering the sheep.
(d) Setting a day to sign the marriage contract.
8. What do the boys and girls do after the location of the surgery is blessed and ancestral spirits appeased?
(a) They eat a special food.
(b) They go to the same tree.
(c) They dance in a circle.
(d) They kneel and pray to their ancestors.
9. When a man becomes ill, ________________ are sought.
(c) Gikuyu gods.
(d) Medicine men.
10. To what does Kenyatta attribute the rise of different religions?
(a) To the Gikuyus losing faith in their god.
(b) To the Europeans disregarding African religious beliefs
(c) To the economic distress in Gikuyu land.
(d) To the fact the Gikuyus were tired of their religion.
11. What is done the day before the circumcision operation?
(a) The head is shaved.
(b) The body is painted red and white.
(c) A bracelet with bells is put around the ankle.
(d) Feathers are put in the hair.
12. What is done to the girl's body prior to surgery?
(a) It is blessed by the medicine man.
(b) It is painted with sacred colors.
(c) It is massaged and adorned with beads.
(d) It is washed in the mother's hut.
13. What are the stomach contents of the sacrificial animal mixed with during the harvesting ceremony?
(a) Sap of a tree and the bark.
(b) Fruit and nuts.
(c) Ground up fish.
14. What was the name of the first governmental group?
(a) Gikuyu generation..
(b) Ndemi generation.
(c) Kolugi generation.
(d) Nogami generation .
15. Who leads the initiates to the homestead?
(a) The medicine man.
(b) Senior warriors.
(c) The mother.
(d) The father.
Short Answer Questions
1. When can the Gikuyu people participate in the government?
2. How do the Gikuyu children gain physical strength?
3. How is the first stage of youth marked in the Gikuyu tribe?
4. When does a man become a member of the Court of Elders?
5. What is the Gikuyu word for courtship fondling?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)