|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the first governmental group?
(a) Nogami generation .
(b) Kolugi generation.
(c) Ndemi generation.
(d) Gikuyu generation..
2. When the man has a hut suitable for his wife what happens?
(a) He begins furnishing it.
(b) He builds the sacred fire in the middle of the hut.
(c) The bride is taken to his hut by his female relatives.
(d) He takes her to the hut himself.
3. When does a junior warrior become a senior warrior?
(a) After he make his own weapons.
(b) After he takes part in a battle.
(c) After he marries more than five women.
(d) Twelve rain seasons after his weapons are blessed.
4. Under the Constitution that was drawn up after the Gikuyu people became democratic, what were all young men supposed to be?
5. When is the piercing of the child's lobe done?
(a) At twenty years old.
(b) At seventeen years old.
(c) A few years after the piercing of the outer ear.
(d) At fifteen years old.
6. Why does Kenyatta feel the Gikuyu form of education is better than formal education.
(a) The child doesn't have to leave the home.
(b) The child is learning all the time.
(c) The child is happier with this kind of education.
(d) The child isn't exposed to the wrong ideas.
7. What do the boys and girls do after the location of the surgery is blessed and ancestral spirits appeased?
(a) They eat a special food.
(b) They dance in a circle.
(c) They kneel and pray to their ancestors.
(d) They go to the same tree.
8. How do the mother and the nurse educate the very young?
(a) Through stories.
(b) Through poems.
(c) With toys.
(d) Through lullabies.
9. Where do the men, women, and children beat the bushes to chase the evil spirits away?
(a) Toward Mount Kenya.
(b) Toward the center of the village.
(c) At the river.
(d) In the jungle.
10. How do the Gikuyu children gain physical strength?
(a) Climbing trees.
(c) Digging in the garden.
11. What is done to the girl's body prior to surgery?
(a) It is painted with sacred colors.
(b) It is blessed by the medicine man.
(c) It is massaged and adorned with beads.
(d) It is washed in the mother's hut.
12. How many wives do Gikuyu men usually have?
(a) Around sixteen.
(b) Around fifteen.
(c) Around ten.
(d) Around twenty-five.
13. What do the girls and their sponsors do in the hut on the day of circumcision?
(a) They dance together.
(b) They exchange vows.
(c) They sing a special initiation song.
(d) The girls sit between the legs of their sponsors.
14. What did the Gikuyus consider "white man's magic"?
(a) Having one wife.
(b) Western medicine.
(d) Reading and writing.
15. To what or whom does an elder recite a prayer at the planting ceremony?
(a) Gikuyu God.
(b) Rain dancers.
(c) Future harvest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the father teach his son about plants and roots?
2. When do the Gikuyu make sacrifices to their god?
3. In what manner is the sacrificial animal killed?
4. At what age is the first stage of Gikuyu youth marked?
5. Who leads the initiates to the homestead?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)