|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what age is the first stage of Gikuyu youth marked?
(a) Six or seven years old.
(b) Three or four years old.
(c) Four or five years old.
(d) Eight years old.
2. What serves as churches for the Gikuyu?
(a) Sacred groves.
(b) Sacred huts.
(c) The river.
(d) Sacred trees.
3. How do the mother and the nurse educate the very young?
(a) With toys.
(b) Through poems.
(c) Through stories.
(d) Through lullabies.
4. What did the government of the Gikuyu become eventually?
(a) A kingdom ruled by royalty.
(b) A dictatorship.
(c) A democratic government.
(d) A communal system.
5. What kind of government did the British introduce when they came?
6. What are the young taught?
(a) How to bathe themselves.
(b) How to dress themselves.
(c) The Gikuyu language.
(d) History of the tribe and family traditions.
7. What is done to the girl's body prior to surgery?
(a) It is painted with sacred colors.
(b) It is massaged and adorned with beads.
(c) It is blessed by the medicine man.
(d) It is washed in the mother's hut.
8. In what year did members of the new religion clash with police?
9. How many oaths control the court proceedings of the Gikuyu?
10. Who plants the seeds in the Gikuyu society?
(a) All males.
(b) Only the elders.
(c) Women and children.
(d) Medicine men.
11. What do the fathers teach their young sons?
(a) How to weed and use a digging stick.
(b) How to fish.
(c) How to build a hut.
(d) How to fight with the Gikuyu weapons.
12. What is the circumcision of both sexes regarded as in Gikuyu society?
(a) A necessary ordeal.
(b) A time to fight fear.
(c) Something that should be eventually banned.
(d) The unification of the whole tribe.
13. What do the boy's parents have to collect?
(a) Sheep and goats for a dowry.
(b) Jewelry and food for a gift to the girl's family.
(c) Cattle for a dowry.
(d) Money for a dowry.
14. At what age is a Gikuyu child circumcised?
(a) Seventeen or eighteen.
(b) Fifteen or sixteen.
(d) Twelve or thirteen.
15. What does a man pay when he is initiated into the religious and sacrificial council?
(a) A ewe.
(b) A goat.
(c) A lamb.
(d) A cow.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal is sacrificed to the Gikuyu god?
2. What was the name of the first governmental group?
3. What does the father teach his son about plants and roots?
4. How many wives do Gikuyu men usually have?
5. What does Kenyatta think the European teacher coming to Africa should do?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)