|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does a well built hut usually last?
(a) One or more years.
(b) Ten or more years.
(c) Seven or more years.
(d) Five or more years.
2. What is the sign of wealth among the Gikuyu?
3. Where did Kenyatta live when he was learning the methods of warfare?
(a) Near Mt. Kilimanjaro.
(b) Near Ngare Narok.
(c) In Nairobi.
(d) On the Serengeti plain.
4. What is the mother's brother called?
5. What is the busiest time for the majority of the women?
(a) Weeding time.
(b) Planting time.
(d) Hut-building time.
6. What was Kenyatta's grandfather?
(a) A seer and a magician.
(b) A hunter and a farmer.
(c) A warrior.
(d) An elder.
7. During what years did Kenyatta start and edit the first Gikuyu journal?
8. Why did the Gikuyu men get their wives pregnant all at the same time?
(a) To build up the numbers of tribe members.
(b) To force a change to a patriarchal society.
(c) To follow an old tribal custom.
(d) To prove their virility.
9. What was the name of the second Royal Commission on land tenure?
(a) Royal Committee of Kenya.
(b) Nairobi Royal Commission.
(c) Joint Committee on the Closer Union of East Africa.
(d) British-Gikuyu Royal Commission.
10. What united people in Africa against Western influence, above all against Great Britain and the United States?
(a) The intolerance shown by Great Britain and the US.
(b) The mismanagement of the "Chinese incident."
(c) The arrogance of Great Britain and the US.
(d) The interference of Great Britain and the US.
11. What is the Gkuyu word for witch doctor?
12. How many partitions are in the male Gikuyu's hut?
13. What is the father of a Gikuyu family called?
14. What was the name of Gikuyu's wife?
15. What kind of charcoal has a particular value in smelting iron?
(a) Beobab charcoal.
(b) Banana charcoal.
(c) Palm charcoal.
(d) Pine tree charcoal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two men are responsible for undertaking the new drive in French folklore?
2. How does one say my or our mother in Gikuyu?
3. What were the people who lived in the forests called?
4. What is the mbari or nyomba?
5. To whom did Kenyatta act as interpreter to in his big land case?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)