|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many partitions are in the male Gikuyu's hut?
2. Between which two countries was the African railway built?
3. What quote from William James was in the Introduction to the book?
(a) "Beware of ethnic prejudice."
(b) "Progress is a terrible thing."
(c) "Intuition is more important than mere facts,:
(d) "Beware of anthropologists."
4. Why did the animals run away from the Gikuyu women?
(a) They weren't being fed enough.
(b) They hated humans.
(c) They were being slaughtered with dull wooden tools.
(d) They wanted their freedom.
5. Which class helped Mr. Kenyatta become an excellent ethnographer?
(a) Anthropology class in Paris.
(b) Discussion class in London.
(c) Economics class in Kenya.
(d) Discussion class in Berlin.
6. Which two men are responsible for undertaking the new drive in French folklore?
(a) Riviere and Varagniac.
(b) Baudelaire and Saint Exupery.
(c) Victor Hugo and Balzac.
(d) Proust and Lamartine.
7. What is riika?
(a) Age-grading among the Gikuyu.
(b) Initiation of a girl.
(c) Initiation of a boy.
(d) Group of Gikuyu elders.
8. What was the name of Gikuyu's wife?
9. How long is a Gikuyu warrior's spear?
(a) Between five and six feet.
(b) Four feet long.
(c) Between 3 and 4 feet.
(d) Over six feet long.
10. What was Kenyatta's grandfather?
(a) A warrior.
(b) A hunter and a farmer.
(c) A seer and a magician.
(d) An elder.
11. What does Mr. Kenyatta recognize which is all important?
(a) The danger of fame and fortune.
(b) His love of the European culture.
(c) The danger of his own bias.
(d) His lack of education.
12. What was the name of the second Royal Commission on land tenure?
(a) Nairobi Royal Commission.
(b) Royal Committee of Kenya.
(c) British-Gikuyu Royal Commission.
(d) Joint Committee on the Closer Union of East Africa.
13. As a member of the warrior class, with what other tribe's warfare methods did Kenyatta become acquainted?
(a) The Masai.
(b) The Mau Mau.
(c) The Tigoni.
(d) The Mogani.
14. What is iron beaten into a heap is called?
15. What was the name of the chief who entered into a treaty with the Europeans and was then deported and died on his way to the coast?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the founder of the Gikuyu tribe called?
2. From whom did the Gikuyu buy land when they moved southward?
3. What are Gikuyu shields made of?
4. What is the value of a bull or ox in terms of sheep or goats.
5. What do the Gikuyu call their grandmother?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)