|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many sheep or goats equal the value of one cow?
2. What can't a man get without sheep and goats?
3. A man who owns a hut is referred to as __________.
(a) A married man.
(b) An elder.
(c) A father.
(d) A wealthy man.
4. What kind of charcoal has a particular value in smelting iron?
(a) Palm charcoal.
(b) Beobab charcoal.
(c) Banana charcoal.
(d) Pine tree charcoal.
5. How did the Gikuyus explain the relation of their tribe with the Europeans?
(a) With a story about a Rhinoceros and a man.
(b) With a story about a lion with a man.
(c) With a story about an elephant and a man.
(d) With the story of a fox and a man.
6. How long does a well built hut usually last?
(a) Five or more years.
(b) Ten or more years.
(c) One or more years.
(d) Seven or more years.
7. How many partitions are in the male Gikuyu's hut?
8. To whom does Kenyatta write that he is indebted to concerning technical advice on anthropological points?
(a) Dr. Raymond Firth.
(b) Dr. Albert Schmidt.
(c) Dr. James Woodman.
(d) Dr. William Forth.
9. What is the worst thing a Gikuyu man can do to infuriate another?
(a) Get the witchdoctor to cast a spell on him.
(b) Spit on him.
(c) Insult his mother.
(d) Sleep with his wife.
10. How do the Masai regard cultivation of the soil?
(a) As a way to train their children.
(b) As a major source of food supply.
(c) As an occupation.
(d) As a crime against their gods.
11. From what month to what month is the season of the big rain In Gikuyuland?
(a) From July to early October.
(b) From May to August.
(c) From March to July.
(d) From October to January.
12. What is the approximate population of the Gikuyu country?
(a) A half a million.
(b) Two million.
(c) One and a half million.
(d) One million.
13. How did the Gikuyu lose most of their lands?
(a) Through fighting with the Europeans.
(b) Through their magnanimity.
(c) Through selling their land to the Europeans.
(d) Through deserting their lands and moving southward.
14. What is the father of a Gikuyu family called?
15. What is the mbari or nyomba?
(a) Family group.
(b) Witch doctor.
(c) Hut of a male Gikuyu.
(d) Hut of a female Gikuyu.
Short Answer Questions
1. Under what kind of tree did Gikuyu and his family find nine young men to marry Gikuyu's daughters?
2. What united people in Africa against Western influence, above all against Great Britain and the United States?
3. What is a moherega?
4. What was the condition that the nine men had to agree to if they wanted to marry Gikuyu's daughters?
5. When did Kenyatta learn about a new religious cult?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)