|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What food is used to feed women after childbirth?
(a) Tree peas.
2. How many stages of eldership did Kenyatta pass
3. The first seeds of the new historical demoralization were planted by ___________.
(b) Fraudulent Allied policies.
4. How many sheep or goats equal the value of one cow?
5. When did Kenyatta learn about a new religious cult?
6. What was the condition that the nine men had to agree to if they wanted to marry Gikuyu's daughters?
(a) To kill a ram as a sacrifice.
(b) To live under a matriarchal system.
(c) To undergo an immediate initiation operation.
(d) To go up to the top of Mt. Kenya and pray.
7. What united people in Africa against Western influence, above all against Great Britain and the United States?
(a) The arrogance of Great Britain and the US.
(b) The mismanagement of the "Chinese incident."
(c) The intolerance shown by Great Britain and the US.
(d) The interference of Great Britain and the US.
8. What quote from William James was in the Introduction to the book?
(a) "Progress is a terrible thing."
(b) "Beware of ethnic prejudice."
(c) "Intuition is more important than mere facts,:
(d) "Beware of anthropologists."
9. How many of the Gikuyu live as squatters on farms on European land?
10. What were the people who lived in the forests called?
11. What is the Gkuyu word for witch doctor?
12. In what year was the big land case brought before the Supreme Court in Nairobi?
13. Why did the animals run away from the Gikuyu women?
(a) They wanted their freedom.
(b) They hated humans.
(c) They weren't being fed enough.
(d) They were being slaughtered with dull wooden tools.
14. What was the founder of the Gikuyu tribe called?
15. From whom did the Gikuyu buy grain?
(a) The Wakamba.
(b) The Masai.
(c) The Watusi.
(d) The Gumba.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a member of the warrior class, with what other tribe's warfare methods did Kenyatta become acquainted?
2. To whom did Kenyatta act as interpreter to in his big land case?
3. During what years did Kenyatta start and edit the first Gikuyu journal?
4. For what is the man's hut used?
5. What do the Gikuyu call their grandmother?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)