|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What covers the building where Wallander follows Bergman?
2. Where is Linda enrolling in college?
3. Who is Erik Magnusson's employer?
4. What does Wallander want to know about Johannes in this chapter?
5. What does Linda's boyfriend study?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Wallander's father in this chapter?
2. How does the Iranian witness help the police?
3. How does this chapter show Wallander is unable to deal with the issues in his life?
4. What do the police find out about Erik?
5. What does Wallander witness at the building covered in scaffolding?
6. What description does Wallander get of the suspect?
7. How does the author describe Rune Bergman?
8. What are the doorman's views on the case?
9. What do the police find in Nils' apartment?
10. What happens at the dinner between Anette and Wallander?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What problems does the book highlight about Swedish society? How does the author use genre conventions of a detective story to highlight these problems?
Essay Topic 2
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
What are Wallander's flaws? Why has Mankell decided to make Wallander such a flawed person? What difference would it make to the story if he was not so flawed?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)