|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Linda enrolling in college?
2. What does Hannson know about Magnusson?
3. Who does Wallander call after the press conference?
4. What does Wallander want to know about Johannes in this chapter?
5. What color overalls is the man wearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the police find out about Erik?
2. What are the doorman's views on the case?
3. What new information do the police find out about Lovgren in this chapter?
4. What is Wallander's opinion on social workers?
5. How does Hannson think the Somalian died?
6. What does Wallander find out about Erik in this chapter?
7. What happens to Wallander's father in this chapter?
8. What do the police find in Nils' apartment?
9. How does the Malawian witness waste police time?
10. What problems is the murder creating in Sweden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
What problems does the book highlight about Swedish society? How does the author use genre conventions of a detective story to highlight these problems?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)