|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Wallander call after the press conference?
2. What is the nationality of the second witness?
3. Which of the refugee witnesses do the police take to the lakes?
4. What does Wallander crave as he waits for Boman?
5. What kind of gun does Bergman own?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Wallander witness at the building covered in scaffolding?
2. What is wrong with Wallander's father at the beginning of this chapter?
3. What do the police find in Nils' apartment?
4. How does the Malawian witness waste police time?
5. How does the Iranian witness help the police?
6. What description does Wallander get of the suspect?
7. How does this chapter show Wallander is unable to deal with the issues in his life?
8. What two messages does Wallander receive when he walks into his office on July 9th?
9. Describe Anette's apartment?
10. What bad news does Wallander receive at the end of the chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of Wallander's father's painting the same scene over and over again? How does it link to the main themes in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Why do Swedes have such a strong sense of national identity? What problems can such nationalist feeling cause?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)