|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Wallander initially think the rolled up mattress was?
2. Where does Wallander go after the refugee camp?
3. What does the author say sleep is like?
4. Why does Widen say he divorced his wife?
5. What can Wallander see is in store for him when he sees Rydberg's face?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the woman who answers Per Akeson's door.
2. Describe the state of Johannes' body in this chapter?
3. How do Wallander and Sten know each other?
4. What do the old man and his wife see when they enter the Lovgren's house?
5. What does Wallander's father say about Linda?
6. What bad news does Wallander receive when he gets home?
7. How does Wallender injure himself in this chapter?
8. In what way is Wallander's father strange?
9. What does the reader find out about refugees in Sweden in this chapter?
10. How does Herdin say Johannes received his fortune?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are Wallander's flaws? Why has Mankell decided to make Wallander such a flawed person? What difference would it make to the story if he was not so flawed?
Essay Topic 2
What is Anette's role in the story? How will their relationship develop and what affect will it have on Wallander's personal life?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)