|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the young girl say she can hear in Wallander's voice?
2. What does the author say sleep is like?
3. What does Rydberg suffer from?
4. Who calls Wallander when he returns to his office?
5. What does Wallander think of doing to help him lose weight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Wallander get from the Nystroms in this chapter?
2. Why does the old man wake up?
3. Describe the state of Johannes' body in this chapter?
4. How does Wallender injure himself in this chapter?
5. Why does Wallander have problems with Hansson?
6. What do the old man and his wife see when they enter the Lovgren's house?
7. Describe Wallander's phone call with Mona.
8. What bad news does Wallander receive when he gets home?
9. In what way is Kurt Wallender's life currently a mess?
10. What orders does Wallander give his men in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
What are Wallander's flaws? Why has Mankell decided to make Wallander such a flawed person? What difference would it make to the story if he was not so flawed?
Essay Topic 3
What problems do the Swedish media cause for the police force? What does this say about the responsibility the media has towards society?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)