• An elderly man wakes up in the middle of the night and realizes the neighbor's horse has not made its normal sound. He goes to the bedroom window and looks out on to his neighbor's farm.
• The man sees his neighbor's kitchen window broken, but thinks he is imagining things until he hears a cry for help.
• The farmer wakes his wife and and the two of them make their way to their neighbor's house.
• Inside the house, Johannes Lovgren lies dead on the floor and his wife Maria is tied to a chair with a noose around her neck. Immediately, the man calls the police.
• An officer phones Detective Kurt Wallander to tell him about the murder. Wallander is half asleep, but he orders the officer to tell two policemen to meet him at the crime scene.
• The murder scene is gruesome. Johannes has been...
This section contains 1,524 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)