|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Shields say about Janie's parents when Janie asks her about them?
2. Which word best describes Reeve in relation to the rest of his family, as stated within the novel?
3. Whom does Hannah marry?
4. Which of the following best describes how Janie views Hannah, when she views the photograph in the trunk?
5. What is Lizzy's current profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does going to the football game with Reeve and Sarah-Charlotte make Janie feel? Explain.
2. Who is Lizzy? Explain in some detail.
3. How does Reeve's and Janie's relationship grow in chapter two?
4. What is the significance of the school trip to Spain?
5. What story does Jason tell at lunch and how does it relate to Janie's situation?
6. Explain the situation when Janie returns home after hearing about Jason's birth certificate.
7. Explain Janie's feelings about the kiss between her and Reeve.
8. Explain Janie's realization and thought process as she enters her home in chapter three and sees no baby picture.
9. Why does Janie take a sip of Sarah-Charlotte's milk, instead of her own?
10. What happens in Janie's 'daymare' in chapter four?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the lack in progression in Janie's relationship with Reeve mirror Janie's progression in discovering the truth of her past?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think the author of the novel leaves the book open-ended? Do you expect a sequel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel there are many symbols of Janie's tarnished childhood. What are they and how do they lend to the theme that Janie's childhood is tainted?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)