|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mr. Johnson's first name?
2. Reeve claims that he is insecure about this in chapter two.
3. Where in the house does Janie end up looking?
4. Which type of number does Janie ask Reeve about in chapter five?
5. By chapter nine, Janie returns to the mindset of a(n) ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the school trip to Spain?
2. Describe what goes through Janie's mind as she looks at the milk carton.
3. Describe the 'daymare' that Janie has while getting ice cream with Reeve in chapter two.
4. How does Janie's parents feel about dating, how is this illustrated in chapter one?
5. What happens in Janie's 'daymare' in chapter four?
6. Explain what happens between Janie and Mrs. Shields in chapter three.
7. Who is Lizzy? Explain in some detail.
8. Explain how the theme of Janie's parents' secrecy thickens in chapter seven.
9. What story does Jason tell at lunch and how does it relate to Janie's situation?
10. Why is Janie reluctant to make conversation with her parents at dinner in chapter eight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Janie's relationship with her parents depicted at the beginning of the book? Use in text citations to support your claims.
Essay Topic 2
The images of ice cream and milk are recurring motifs throughout the novel. What is particularly interesting about the fact that Janie continuously has flashbacks of herself eating ice cream, or that she sees the picture of missing girl on a carton of milk? Explain using in-text citations to support your claims.
Essay Topic 3
In chapter one, Janie wants to change her name to Jayne Johnstone. What does this suggest about Janie's feelings toward herself? What type of solutions does changing her name present?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)