|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which chapter does Janie's relationship with her mother begin to unravel?
2. In chapter two, Janie has a strange flashback of a strange woman. In the flashback, where is the strange woman leading Janie?
3. Janie finds a trunk in chapter seven, what is the trunk labeled with?
4. Where in the house does Janie end up looking?
5. What is Mrs. Johnson's first name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the school trip to Spain?
2. What is Hannah's role within the novel, other than the history the Johnsons provide?
3. What is Hannah's story?
4. How does food serve as a symbol of the state of the family unit?
5. Explain Janie's flashback in chapter three as well as what Janie finds particularly upsetting about the flashback.
6. Explain how the theme of Janie's parents' secrecy thickens in chapter seven.
7. Who is Lizzy? Explain in some detail.
8. What story does Jason tell at lunch and how does it relate to Janie's situation?
9. What is Janie's realization about her relationship with Reeve toward the end of the novel? Explain.
10. How does going to the football game with Reeve and Sarah-Charlotte make Janie feel? Explain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, the theme of adolescence versus adulthood is illustrated. Explain how Sarah-Charlotte is a representation of adolescence.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the lack in progression in Janie's relationship with Reeve mirror Janie's progression in discovering the truth of her past?
Essay Topic 3
The images of ice cream and milk are recurring motifs throughout the novel. What is particularly interesting about the fact that Janie continuously has flashbacks of herself eating ice cream, or that she sees the picture of missing girl on a carton of milk? Explain using in-text citations to support your claims.
This section contains 1,350 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)