|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lizzy's current profession?
2. What is the best way to describe Janie's feelings toward Lizzy?
3. Where in the house does Janie end up looking?
4. In which country do the students travel on the upcoming school trip mentioned in the novel?
5. Which of the following is not included in Janie's confrontation of her parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Janie resist going on a drive with Adair and Sarah-Charlotte in chapter six?
2. Explain the focus of Janie's mind during chapter two.
3. Why is Janie reluctant to make conversation with her parents at dinner in chapter eight?
4. Describe what goes through Janie's mind as she looks at the milk carton.
5. What does Janie bring up in chapter eight, when she finally decides to confront her parents?
6. Why is Janie at cake decorating class? And what happens while she is there?
7. Explain Janie's stint, in an attempt to make Reeve jealous at the Honors breakfast.
8. Describe the flashback that Janie has in chapter eight, after dinner with her parents.
9. Explain what Janie's parents reveal to her about themselves in chapter nine.
10. Describe the situation of Janie's struggle with dialing the 800 number on the milk carton, as it appears in chapter five.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What might the blossoming of Reeve and Janie's relationship represent throughout the novel? Is their relationship ever resolved?
Essay Topic 2
Although Hannah is not physically present throughout the novel, she plays an important role. How does Hannah act as a driving force in the novel's action? What is the significance in Hannah's character in regards to Janie's identity?
Essay Topic 3
Purity and innocence are seen as motifs throughout the early chapters of the novel. Explain how these things are illustrated through the text and be sure to use in text citations to support your claims.
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)