|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which chapter does Janie's relationship with Reeve begin to develop?
2. Which subject does Janie complete an assignment for at the beginning of the novel?
3. Whom does Hannah marry?
4. What is Janie eating for lunch in chapter one?
5. Which word most correctly describes how Janie views her parents, after they come clean with the truth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the 'daymare' that Janie has while getting ice cream with Reeve in chapter two.
2. Explain how the theme of Janie's parents' secrecy thickens in chapter seven.
3. Explain what Janie's parents reveal to her about themselves in chapter nine.
4. Explain Janie's flashback in chapter three as well as what Janie finds particularly upsetting about the flashback.
5. What leads Janie to start looking in the attic in chapter seven?
6. Explain what happens between Janie and Mrs. Shields in chapter three.
7. Janie heads outside while Reeve is raking leaves. Describe what happens next.
8. Explain Janie's feelings about the kiss between her and Reeve.
9. Describe what goes through Janie's mind as she looks at the milk carton.
10. What is the significance of the school trip to Spain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Hannah is not physically present throughout the novel, she plays an important role. How does Hannah act as a driving force in the novel's action? What is the significance in Hannah's character in regards to Janie's identity?
Essay Topic 2
What might the blossoming of Reeve and Janie's relationship represent throughout the novel? Is their relationship ever resolved?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, the theme of adolescence versus adulthood is illustrated. Explain how Sarah-Charlotte is a representation of adolescence.
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)