|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Reeve claims that he is insecure about this in chapter two.
2. What is Mrs. Johnson's first name?
3. What kind of ice cream do Reeve and Janie order in chapter two of the novel?
4. In what area is Mrs. Johnson's college degree?
5. In chapter eight, Janie has a memory of doing this with her real mother.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the flashback that Janie has in chapter eight, after dinner with her parents.
2. What does Janie bring up in chapter eight, when she finally decides to confront her parents?
3. Why does Janie resist going on a drive with Adair and Sarah-Charlotte in chapter six?
4. What leads Janie to start looking in the attic in chapter seven?
5. Why is Janie at cake decorating class? And what happens while she is there?
6. Describe the situation of Janie's struggle with dialing the 800 number on the milk carton, as it appears in chapter five.
7. Describe the conversation that Reeve has with Janie while at the Scenic Overlook in chapter two.
8. Describe what goes through Janie's mind as she looks at the milk carton.
9. Describe the 'daymare' that Janie has while getting ice cream with Reeve in chapter two.
10. Explain Janie's flashback in chapter three as well as what Janie finds particularly upsetting about the flashback.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think is the most prominent theme or lesson in the book? Why does the author write this book? What is she trying to convey to readers?
Essay Topic 2
Explain and describe how the theme of reality versus fantasy plays out and is resolved within the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, there is a great contrast between Reeve's family and Janie's family. Explain the contrast in both families, and state the irony present within the context of the novel, as related to the two families. Use in text citations to support your claims.
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)