|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What upcoming event is Janie's mother decorating for after Janie kisses Reeve?
2. Which word best describes the status of Janie's relationship with her parents in chapter seven, as she begins to uncover the truth?
3. Janie finds a trunk in chapter seven, what is the trunk labeled with?
4. Which one of Janie's friends does she begin dialing to tell of her kiss with Reeve?
5. Whom does Hannah marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Janie resist going on a drive with Adair and Sarah-Charlotte in chapter six?
2. How does Reeve perceive Janie's thoughts about the milk carton?
3. Explain Janie's feelings about the kiss between her and Reeve.
4. Who is Lizzy? Explain in some detail.
5. Does Janie believe that the Johnson's kidnap her, even after hearing the truth about the past? Explain.
6. Why is Janie reluctant to make conversation with her parents at dinner in chapter eight?
7. What is Hannah's role within the novel, other than the history the Johnsons provide?
8. What happens in Janie's 'daymare' in chapter four?
9. How does Reeve's and Janie's relationship grow in chapter two?
10. What idea does the New York Times give Janie?
Essay Topic 1
How is Janie's relationship with her parents depicted at the beginning of the book? Use in text citations to support your claims.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel there are many symbols of Janie's tarnished childhood. What are they and how do they lend to the theme that Janie's childhood is tainted?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, there is a great contrast between Reeve's family and Janie's family. Explain the contrast in both families, and state the irony present within the context of the novel, as related to the two families. Use in text citations to support your claims.
This section contains 1,283 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)