|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Janie's parents when she arrives from after getting ice cream with Reeve?
2. Where does Janie's mother volunteer at?
3. Where is Janie's birth certificate, according to Janie's mother?
4. Which word best describes Reeve in relation to the rest of his family, as stated within the novel?
5. Where does Mrs. Shields live?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the novel end? Explain.
2. What is the significance of the school trip to Spain?
3. What is Hannah's story?
4. Why is Janie at cake decorating class? And what happens while she is there?
5. What idea does the New York Times give Janie?
6. What is Janie's realization about her relationship with Reeve toward the end of the novel? Explain.
7. Why do the Johnson's take Janie out for pizza? What are they attempting to do?
8. Explain Janie's feelings about the kiss between her and Reeve.
9. Janie heads outside while Reeve is raking leaves. Describe what happens next.
10. How does Janie's parents feel about dating, how is this illustrated in chapter one?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Janie is in a constant struggle between the joys of adolescence and the responsibility of adulthood. Describe how the theme of adolescence versus adulthood works within the novel. Use in text citation to support your point.
Essay Topic 2
Does Janie seem to desire a relationship with her real family? Or is it just knowledge of the truth she desires? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
What do you think is the most prominent theme or lesson in the book? Why does the author write this book? What is she trying to convey to readers?
This section contains 1,342 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)