|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes how Janie views Hannah, when she views the photograph in the trunk?
2. What is Janie's biological relation to her "parents"?
3. What kind of ice cream do Reeve and Janie order in chapter two of the novel?
4. In which chapter does Reeve first kiss Janie?
5. What does Janie ask Reeve about in chapter four?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hannah's role within the novel, other than the history the Johnsons provide?
2. How does the novel end? Explain.
3. What is the significance of the school trip to Spain?
4. Why do the Johnson's take Janie out for pizza? What are they attempting to do?
5. What is Reeve's explanation of Janie's kidnapping?
6. Explain what the tarnished white dress symbolizes.
7. Describe the flashback that Janie has in chapter eight, after dinner with her parents.
8. Explain Janie's feelings about the kiss between her and Reeve.
9. What does Janie use her notebook for?
10. Why does Janie want to change her name, and what does she want to change it to?
Essay Topic 1
Janie's thoughts about the milk carton are constantly plaguing her mind, yet she feels as though he cannot confide in anyone. Explain how the milk carton increases the angst and loneliness that a typical teenager feels.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel there are many symbols of Janie's tarnished childhood. What are they and how do they lend to the theme that Janie's childhood is tainted?
Essay Topic 3
Purity and innocence are seen as motifs throughout the early chapters of the novel. Explain how these things are illustrated through the text and be sure to use in text citations to support your claims.
This section contains 1,345 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)