|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Janie ask Reeve about in chapter four?
2. What daily event does Janie's mother skip in chapter four?
3. What word best describe Janie's feelings toward her kiss with Reeve?
4. What is Mrs. Johnson's first name?
5. What does Janie do after the Johnsons tell her the truth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Janie feels that she cannot confide in her friends after her kiss with Reeve.
2. Why does Janie want to change her name, and what does she want to change it to?
3. Describe what goes through Janie's mind as she looks at the milk carton.
4. What does Janie realize about her parents' fears in chapter nine?
5. How does Janie's parents feel about dating, how is this illustrated in chapter one?
6. Describe Janie's appearance and how it relates to the title of the book.
7. How does Reeve's and Janie's relationship grow in chapter two?
8. Explain the situation when Janie returns home after hearing about Jason's birth certificate.
9. What is the significance of the school trip to Spain?
10. Explain Janie's stint, in an attempt to make Reeve jealous at the Honors breakfast.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The images of ice cream and milk are recurring motifs throughout the novel. What is particularly interesting about the fact that Janie continuously has flashbacks of herself eating ice cream, or that she sees the picture of missing girl on a carton of milk? Explain using in-text citations to support your claims.
Essay Topic 2
Purity and innocence are seen as motifs throughout the early chapters of the novel. Explain how these things are illustrated through the text and be sure to use in text citations to support your claims.
Essay Topic 3
Does Janie seem to desire a relationship with her real family? Or is it just knowledge of the truth she desires? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)