|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Janie's mother make in chapter eight, that Janie refuses to eat?
2. What word best describes Janie's relationship with her thoughts about the milk carton?
3. Where does Janie's mother volunteer at?
4. Which character is central to the novel, yet only appears in flashbacks?
5. In which chapter does Janie's relationship with Reeve begin to develop?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Janie's parents feel about dating, how is this illustrated in chapter one?
2. Explain Janie's flashback in chapter three as well as what Janie finds particularly upsetting about the flashback.
3. Why does Janie take a sip of Sarah-Charlotte's milk, instead of her own?
4. Describe what goes through Janie's mind as she looks at the milk carton.
5. Why does Janie want to change her name, and what does she want to change it to?
6. Explain why Janie feels that she cannot confide in her friends after her kiss with Reeve.
7. Describe the flashback that Janie has in chapter eight, after dinner with her parents.
8. What happens in Janie's 'daymare' in chapter four?
9. Explain what the tarnished white dress symbolizes.
10. Explain how the theme of Janie's parents' secrecy thickens in chapter seven.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel there are many symbols of Janie's tarnished childhood. What are they and how do they lend to the theme that Janie's childhood is tainted?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think the author of the novel leaves the book open-ended? Do you expect a sequel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Although Hannah is not physically present throughout the novel, she plays an important role. How does Hannah act as a driving force in the novel's action? What is the significance in Hannah's character in regards to Janie's identity?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)