|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who's penknife does Janie borrow to cut out the picture on the milk carton?
2. What is Janie's biological relation to her "parents"?
3. What does Janie ask Reeve about in chapter four?
4. Where does Janie's mother volunteer at?
5. While watching TV, Janie has a memory about which type of woman's clothing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Janie take a sip of Sarah-Charlotte's milk, instead of her own?
2. Explain the situation when Janie returns home after hearing about Jason's birth certificate.
3. Does Janie want the evidence against her parents to be true? Explain.
4. What is Hannah's story?
5. Why does Janie resist going on a drive with Adair and Sarah-Charlotte in chapter six?
6. Explain what happens between Janie and Mrs. Shields in chapter three.
7. Explain Janie's feelings about the kiss between her and Reeve.
8. What happens in Janie's 'daymare' in chapter four?
9. Explain what the tarnished white dress symbolizes.
10. What does Janie realize about her parents' fears in chapter nine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Janie's notebook serve as type of catharsis for Janie?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think is the most prominent theme or lesson in the book? Why does the author write this book? What is she trying to convey to readers?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, there is a great contrast between Reeve's family and Janie's family. Explain the contrast in both families, and state the irony present within the context of the novel, as related to the two families. Use in text citations to support your claims.
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)