|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Janie believe to be controlling her thoughts?
2. What is Reeve doing in chapter four, when Janie abandons her snack?
3. What does Janie need to obtain in order to attend the upcoming school trip?
4. Where does Janie's mother volunteer at?
5. When Janie arrives to an empty house, while her mother is volunteering, what does Janie first begin looking for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Janie take a sip of Sarah-Charlotte's milk, instead of her own?
2. Explain Janie's realization and thought process as she enters her home in chapter three and sees no baby picture.
3. Describe Janie's appearance and how it relates to the title of the book.
4. Who is Lizzy? Explain in some detail.
5. Explain how the theme of Janie's parents' secrecy thickens in chapter seven.
6. What leads Janie to start looking in the attic in chapter seven?
7. How does Reeve's and Janie's relationship grow in chapter two?
8. Explain the focus of Janie's mind during chapter two.
9. Does Janie want the evidence against her parents to be true? Explain.
10. Explain the situation when Janie returns home after hearing about Jason's birth certificate.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lizzy is first introduced in the novel as someone that Janie is not very fond of. By the end of the novel, Lizzy's role changes completely. What is Lizzy's role by the end of the novel? Explain the contrast in her character from the beginning versus her role in the end.
Essay Topic 2
How does Janie's notebook serve as type of catharsis for Janie?
Essay Topic 3
Explain and describe how the theme of reality versus fantasy plays out and is resolved within the novel.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)