|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sarah-Charlotte thinks about the fact that Janie never has a ________________ in chapter one, while eating at lunch.
2. Who's milk does Janie take a sip of in chapter one?
3. Where is Janie's birth certificate, according to Janie's mother?
4. What are Janie and her friend studying for in chapter four?
5. In what area is Mrs. Johnson's college degree?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conversation that Reeve has with Janie while at the Scenic Overlook in chapter two.
2. Why does Janie resist going on a drive with Adair and Sarah-Charlotte in chapter six?
3. Explain the situation when Janie returns home after hearing about Jason's birth certificate.
4. Describe the 'daymare' that Janie has while getting ice cream with Reeve in chapter two.
5. What does Janie realize about her parents' fears in chapter nine?
6. Why does Janie want to change her name, and what does she want to change it to?
7. Why does Janie take a sip of Sarah-Charlotte's milk, instead of her own?
8. What does Janie bring up in chapter eight, when she finally decides to confront her parents?
9. Describe what goes through Janie's mind as she looks at the milk carton.
10. Explain Janie's flashback in chapter three as well as what Janie finds particularly upsetting about the flashback.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Janie's relationship with her parents depicted at the beginning of the book? Use in text citations to support your claims.
Essay Topic 2
Does Janie seem to desire a relationship with her real family? Or is it just knowledge of the truth she desires? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
How does food act as a symbol of the status of the family unit throughout the novel?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)