|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which "collecting" hobby of Janie's does Reeve bring up in chapter two, which Janie ignores?
2. What is Mrs. Johnson's first name?
3. What is Janie's real name?
4. Who's milk does Janie take a sip of in chapter one?
5. What does Janie daydream about getting in the opening of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does going to the football game with Reeve and Sarah-Charlotte make Janie feel? Explain.
2. Explain Janie's feelings about the kiss between her and Reeve.
3. Why does Janie want to change her name, and what does she want to change it to?
4. Janie heads outside while Reeve is raking leaves. Describe what happens next.
5. What does Janie realize about her parents' fears in chapter nine?
6. Explain the situation when Janie returns home after hearing about Jason's birth certificate.
7. Describe the flashback that Janie has in chapter eight, after dinner with her parents.
8. Explain Janie's stint, in an attempt to make Reeve jealous at the Honors breakfast.
9. Why does Janie take a sip of Sarah-Charlotte's milk, instead of her own?
10. Explain what the tarnished white dress symbolizes.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In chapter one, Janie wants to change her name to Jayne Johnstone. What does this suggest about Janie's feelings toward herself? What type of solutions does changing her name present?
Essay Topic 2
Does Janie seem to desire a relationship with her real family? Or is it just knowledge of the truth she desires? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
How is Janie's relationship with her parents depicted at the beginning of the book? Use in text citations to support your claims.
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)