|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which subject does Janie complete an assignment for at the beginning of the novel?
2. What does Janie do after the Johnsons tell her the truth?
3. Which one of Janie's friends does she begin dialing to tell of her kiss with Reeve?
4. When Janie arrives to an empty house, while her mother is volunteering, what does Janie first begin looking for?
5. Which character is central to the novel, yet only appears in flashbacks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Jason tell at lunch and how does it relate to Janie's situation?
2. What leads Janie to start looking in the attic in chapter seven?
3. What does Janie realize about her parents' fears in chapter nine?
4. Explain what happens between Janie and Mrs. Shields in chapter three.
5. What is the significance of the school trip to Spain?
6. Explain Janie's feelings about the kiss between her and Reeve.
7. What happens in Janie's 'daymare' in chapter four?
8. How does going to the football game with Reeve and Sarah-Charlotte make Janie feel? Explain.
9. Why is Janie at cake decorating class? And what happens while she is there?
10. Explain the focus of Janie's mind during chapter two.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Janie seem to desire a relationship with her real family? Or is it just knowledge of the truth she desires? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
How does Janie's notebook serve as type of catharsis for Janie?
Essay Topic 3
How is Janie's relationship with her parents depicted at the beginning of the book? Use in text citations to support your claims.
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)