|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which chapter does Janie's relationship with her mother begin to unravel?
2. How many digits does Janie have left in the 800 number when she stops dialing and hangs up?
3. How does Janie open the locked trunk in chapter seven?
4. In chapter three, the color white is used to symbolize ____________.
5. Which class do Janie and her mother go to in chapter three?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Janie feels that she cannot confide in her friends after her kiss with Reeve.
2. Describe the situation of Janie's struggle with dialing the 800 number on the milk carton, as it appears in chapter five.
3. Why does Janie take a sip of Sarah-Charlotte's milk, instead of her own?
4. What happens in Janie's 'daymare' in chapter four?
5. Explain Janie's feelings about the kiss between her and Reeve.
6. Janie heads outside while Reeve is raking leaves. Describe what happens next.
7. Explain the focus of Janie's mind during chapter two.
8. Explain what Janie's parents reveal to her about themselves in chapter nine.
9. Explain Janie's stint, in an attempt to make Reeve jealous at the Honors breakfast.
10. Why does Janie resist going on a drive with Adair and Sarah-Charlotte in chapter six?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Janie seem to desire a relationship with her real family? Or is it just knowledge of the truth she desires? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
What might the blossoming of Reeve and Janie's relationship represent throughout the novel? Is their relationship ever resolved?
Essay Topic 3
How does Janie's notebook serve as type of catharsis for Janie?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)