|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the early stages of the novel, Janie is unsure as to whether or not her flashbacks are actual _____________ or _______________.
(a) accurate, inaccurate.
(b) Memories, hallucinations.
(c) Memories, daydreams.
(d) Hallucinations, daydreams.
2. In what area is Mrs. Johnson's college degree?
(a) Medieval literature.
(b) English literature.
(d) Elizabethan literature.
3. Which character is central to the novel, yet only appears in flashbacks?
(a) Mr. Johnson.
(d) Mrs. Spring.
4. What happens in the flashback Janie has in chapter four?
(a) She spills milk.
(b) She is kidnapped.
(c) She is eating ice cream.
(d) She is hugging a strange woman.
5. What does Janie daydream her children's names are?
(a) Ashley and Lacey.
(b) Sarah and Ashley.
(c) Demi and Lace.
(d) Denim and Lace.
6. When Janie arrives to an empty house, while her mother is volunteering, what does Janie first begin looking for?
(a) Baby pictures.
(b) Newspaper clippings.
(c) The key to the safety deposit box.
(d) Her birth certificate.
7. Which class do Janie and her mother go to in chapter three?
(a) Cake decorating.
8. Which television show is Janie watching when she has her flashback in chapter three?
(a) The Andy Griffith Show.
(b) I Dream of Jeanie.
(c) Gilligan's Island.
9. Whom does Janie help study in chapter four?
10. What does Janie think of in chapter three, while at class with her mother?
(a) Tiny white shoes.
(b) Retrieving candy.
(c) Braiding her hair.
(d) A woman pushing her on a swing.
11. In chapter eight, what is used as a symbol of the family relationship between the Johnsons?
(b) The trunk.
(c) The home.
(d) Janie's mother's new attitude.
12. In chapter two, Janie has a strange flashback of a strange woman. In the flashback, where is the strange woman leading Janie?
(a) A house.
(b) A car.
(c) A parking lot.
(d) A ice cream shop.
13. In which chapter does Janie have her most vivid memory?
(a) Chapter nine.
(b) Chapter two.
(c) Chapter four.
(d) Chapter eight.
14. In which country do the students travel on the upcoming school trip mentioned in the novel?
15. What is the color of the cloth of the dress that Janie finds in the trunk?
Short Answer Questions
1. What word best describes Janie's relationship with her thoughts about the milk carton?
2. Who offers Janie a ride home in the rain, in chapter two?
3. Whom does Hannah marry?
4. Where are Janie's parents when she arrives from after getting ice cream with Reeve?
5. Who's milk does Janie take a sip of in chapter one?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)