|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kinsey's dinner companion tell her as they eat at the restaurant?
2. After Ori's death, Kinsey goes to Shana's apartment. Shana is not home but what does Kinsey find outside?
3. What does Rick specifically tell Kinsey about Jean's last night?
4. Why did she decide to look at particular items on the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs' spa property?
5. What are Kinsey's thoughts about what she sees at the Timberlake's old apartment building?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Kinsey thinking about as she heads off to the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs Hotel spa after having no luck finding Shana at the three places she's checked? When she gets there, who does she talk to?
2. What does the spa owner admit to Kinsey about Shana and Jean? What is his reaction to Ori's death? What does he say about the father of Jean's unborn child?
3. What is the reaction of the spouse of the person who attacked Kinsey at the spa? What is the name of this person and what do they tell Kinsey about Jean Timberlake?
4. Who attacks Kinsey at the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs spa? What is she attacked with? How does Kinsey retaliate?
5. Before phoning Shana and Dr. Dunne's office, Kinsey had left the room to avoid seeing Ann give Ori an injection. When she is finished her calls, what happens? What is the result of this?
6. After Kinsey checks out the spa property, who is she confronted by? What does this person tell her? What does Kinsey do?
7. While going through the documents that Dwight Shales gave her, what does Kinsey discover about Jean Timberlake's last few months at school? When discussing the documents, what else did Dwight tell her about Jean?
8. After Kinsey is attacked at the spa, where does she go to eat? Who does she end up eating with and what do they talk about?
9. What does the man who headed the Baptist youth group tell Kinsey about the Reverend Haws? How does he know this?
10. When Kinsey goes back to the motel after talking to members of a local family at the pool hall, who does she run into? What does this person tell her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role do other characters play in the mystery novel F is for Fugitive? Are they as important to the narrative as the narrator (Kinsey) is? Give four examples where four other characters are central to the story-telling. Give two examples where the narrative is focused only on Kinsey. Give two examples where Kinsey's relationship with two other characters is the focus of the narrative.
Essay Topic 2
What does the element of challenges add to a work of fiction, and in particular, the murder mystery novel? What challenges does Kinsey Millhone face in F is for Fugitive? Give four examples of challenges and explain how she overcomes or is defeated by these challenges.
Essay Topic 3
In reference to the plotting of F is for Fugitive,
(1) Why are the events of the novel arranged as they are?
(2) What moves the narrative along? Is it external action or internal conflicts? Or is it a combination of both? Support your answer with three examples.
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)