|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kinsey go to the Baptist Church after she finds the item outside Shana's apartment?
2. The morning after the threatening phone call, what does Kinsey ask Ann in regards to Jean?
3. What time had Bailey told Kinsey that he'd been on the beach with Jean the night she died?
4. Jean joined a certain group just before she died because she was interested in the boy who headed it. Who was he?
5. Why did she decide to look at particular items on the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs' spa property?
Short Essay Questions
1. The morning after she receives a threatening phone call, what does Kinsey overhear at the local diner?
2. Who shows up when Kinsey is eating with someone after she is attacked at the spa? What is that person's attitude towards Kinsey?
3. The morning after the threatening phone call, what does Kinsey ask Ann in regards to Jean? What does Ann tell her?
4. While going through the documents that Dwight Shales gave her, what does Kinsey discover about Jean Timberlake's last few months at school? When discussing the documents, what else did Dwight tell her about Jean?
5. Who shows up when Kinsey was visiting Joleen Granger? What does he tell Kinsey?
6. Kinsey decides to go visit Tap Granger's widow, Joleen. What is her impression of Joleen? What does Joleen tell Kinsey about Tap?
7. Why does Kinsey head over to the Baptist Church after finding the item outside the apartment? What happens there? Where does she go next and what does she speculate about?
8. What does the spa owner admit to Kinsey about Shana and Jean? What is his reaction to Ori's death? What does he say about the father of Jean's unborn child?
9. After her talk with Dr. Dunne, Kinsey returns to the motel and learns from Jack Clemson that Bailey has been given sanctuary at the church by Mrs. Haws. Kinsey then decides to go back to the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs spa. What does she find there and what does this discovery lead her to?
10. When Kinsey goes back to the motel after talking to members of a local family at the pool hall, who does she run into? What does this person tell her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Conflict is a common element of writing, in both fiction and nonfiction. Why is conflict so often used in narratives? How can it help move a story along? Give four examples where conflict in F is for Fugitive occurs and how it helps explain the relationship between Kinsey and other characters.
Essay Topic 2
What role do other characters play in the mystery novel F is for Fugitive? Are they as important to the narrative as the narrator (Kinsey) is? Give four examples where four other characters are central to the story-telling. Give two examples where the narrative is focused only on Kinsey. Give two examples where Kinsey's relationship with two other characters is the focus of the narrative.
Essay Topic 3
The setting refers to the time and the place where a story occurs. Discuss the main setting of F is for Fugitive as the background for the telling of the narrative. What elements of the setting would be very different if the novel was set in a large city? Give four specific examples.
This section contains 1,272 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)