|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kinsey learn from the document she obtains at the courthouse?
2. What does Rick specifically tell Kinsey about Jean's last night?
3. The doctor at the spa calls his wife into his office after Kinsey begins asking questions. What is her name?
4. What is Ann's reaction to her mother's death?
5. After investigating what she found on the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs' property what does Kinsey decide to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Kinsey thinking about as she heads off to the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs Hotel spa after having no luck finding Shana at the three places she's checked? When she gets there, who does she talk to?
2. What is Ann's reaction to her mother's death? What does she speculate caused it?
3. Kinsey decides to go visit Tap Granger's widow, Joleen. What is her impression of Joleen? What does Joleen tell Kinsey about Tap?
4. What was the name of the man who had led the Baptist Church group when he was young? What does he do for a living? How did he respond to Kinsey's suggestion that Jean was interested in him?
5. What does the man who headed the Baptist youth group tell Kinsey about the Reverend Haws? How does he know this?
6. The morning after she receives a threatening phone call, what does Kinsey overhear at the local diner?
7. Who attacks Kinsey at the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs spa? What is she attacked with? How does Kinsey retaliate?
8. Why does Kinsey head to the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs spa after she obtains Jean's birth certificate from the courthouse? What happens there?
9. Why does Kinsey head over to the Baptist Church after finding the item outside the apartment? What happens there? Where does she go next and what does she speculate about?
10. After Kinsey checks out the spa property, who is she confronted by? What does this person tell her? What does Kinsey do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the components of the literary element of plot known as "exposition". What purpose does it serve in writing? Give four examples of Sue Grafton's use of exposition in F is for Fugitive that enhance the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Explain what foreshadowing is and how it is used in F is for Fugitive, citing three examples that you believe are examples of foreshadowing. Each example must come from a different scene in the book. Explain how each example relates to the outcome of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Tone refers to the attitude of the narrator of a work. Through Kinsey, as the narrator of F is for Fugitive, what is the author's tone at different stages of the book? Explain the tone, with examples:
(1) At the beginning of the book, when Kinsey takes on the Fowler/Timberlake case
(2) When Kinsey is doing the groundwork of her investigation
(3) When Kinsey is coming up against obstacles in her investigation
(4) When Kinsey gets the answers she needs to solve the case.
This section contains 1,199 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)