|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bailey calls Kinsey shortly after Ori's death. What is his reaction to the news?
2. Kinsey goes back to her motel after running into Rick's wife. A phone call wakes her up in the middle of the night. What does Kinsey realize about the call?
3. What were the names of the staff members that Jean saw a lot of in her last year of school?
4. After the doctor finishes his shower, how does he respond to Kinsey's questions about Jean Timberlake?
5. The morning after the threatening phone call, what does Kinsey ask Ann in regards to Jean?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who attacks Kinsey at the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs spa? What is she attacked with? How does Kinsey retaliate?
2. The night of Kinsey's attack at the spa she goes to the pool hall. Who does she talk with there? What does Kinsey learn?
3. After Kinsey is attacked at the spa, where does she go to eat? Who does she end up eating with and what do they talk about?
4. What happens at the end of Chapter 24 that sends Kinsey racing back to the motel?
5. When Kinsey goes back to the motel after talking to members of a local family at the pool hall, who does she run into? What does this person tell her?
6. After Kinsey checks out the spa property, who is she confronted by? What does this person tell her? What does Kinsey do?
7. What is the reaction of the spouse of the person who attacked Kinsey at the spa? What is the name of this person and what do they tell Kinsey about Jean Timberlake?
8. What does the man who headed the Baptist youth group tell Kinsey about the Reverend Haws? How does he know this?
9. Who shows up when Kinsey is eating with someone after she is attacked at the spa? What is that person's attitude towards Kinsey?
10. What does the spa owner admit to Kinsey about Shana and Jean? What is his reaction to Ori's death? What does he say about the father of Jean's unborn child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the element of challenges add to a work of fiction, and in particular, the murder mystery novel? What challenges does Kinsey Millhone face in F is for Fugitive? Give four examples of challenges and explain how she overcomes or is defeated by these challenges.
Essay Topic 2
F is for Fugitive is a first person narrative, told from private investigator Kinsey Millhone's point-of-view. Briefly explain how the first person narrative is effective and how it is limited. Give four specific examples that show how the story is effective told from Kinsey's point of view, and how our vicarious experience of them is enhanced.
Essay Topic 3
The protagonist of a story is not always portrayed in a positive light. In many novels, the protagonist makes a change or comes to a realization about some aspect of their life. Kinsey, although an adult, still grapples with personal issues that often make her question her life. The role of the protagonist is portrayed in F is for Fugitive in both a positive and negative light. Give at least three examples from the novel that characterize Kinsey in both these lights and analyze her behavior in the novel that show her as a protagonist that is not perfect.
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)