|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kinsey realize about the threatening phone call after she is told about the motel's phone system?
2. The doctor's wife that attacks Kinsey injures her arm. How does Kinsey retaliate?
3. What time had Bailey told Kinsey that he'd been on the beach with Jean the night she died?
4. What does Kinsey learn from the document she obtains at the courthouse?
5. What was the person who confronted Kinsey on the spa property holding?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 21, Kinsey phones both Shana and Dr. Dunne's office. What does she want to know? Is she successful?
2. The morning after she receives a threatening phone call, what does Kinsey overhear at the local diner?
3. While going through the documents that Dwight Shales gave her, what does Kinsey discover about Jean Timberlake's last few months at school? When discussing the documents, what else did Dwight tell her about Jean?
4. Who attacks Kinsey at the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs spa? What is she attacked with? How does Kinsey retaliate?
5. Kinsey is woken up during the night after meeting with members of a local family at the pool hall. What wakes her up and what is the result of this?
6. After running away from the spa property, where does Kinsey end up? What does she talk about with this individual?
7. What was the name of the man who had led the Baptist Church group when he was young? What does he do for a living? How did he respond to Kinsey's suggestion that Jean was interested in him?
8. After her talk with Dr. Dunne, Kinsey returns to the motel and learns from Jack Clemson that Bailey has been given sanctuary at the church by Mrs. Haws. Kinsey then decides to go back to the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs spa. What does she find there and what does this discovery lead her to?
9. After Kinsey checks out the spa property, who is she confronted by? What does this person tell her? What does Kinsey do?
10. Why does Kinsey head to the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs spa after she obtains Jean's birth certificate from the courthouse? What happens there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rising action in a story or novel leads up to the climax. It is usually composed of conflict of some sort that will ultimately lead to a climax in the story. List five examples where Grafton introduces conflict into the rising action to lead the story to a climax.
Essay Topic 2
Humor is an element of fiction that is often employed by authors. Why is it used? How can it enhance a novel? Give four examples of Sue Grafton's use of humor where you feel the pace and the theme of F is for Fugitive has been enhanced by its use.
Essay Topic 3
The resolution of a story is the wrapping up of details and often the aftermath of the climactic events. Why was Kinsey's report included at the end of the book as an Epilogue? Do you believe this added to the themes of truth and justice? As a reader, how did you respond to the report?
This section contains 1,158 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)