|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The man who had headed the group Jean joined laughs at Kinsey's idea that Jean might have been interested in him. Why is this?
2. After the doctor finishes his shower, how does he respond to Kinsey's questions about Jean Timberlake?
3. What does Dr. Dunne say about the father of Jean's unborn child?
4. Dwight Shales shows up at Tap Granger's widow's house. What does he tell Kinsey?
5. What does Kinsey do in the doctor's office while he is in the shower?
Short Essay Questions
1. After running away from the spa property, where does Kinsey end up? What does she talk about with this individual?
2. The morning after she receives a threatening phone call, what does Kinsey overhear at the local diner?
3. What was the name of the man who had led the Baptist Church group when he was young? What does he do for a living? How did he respond to Kinsey's suggestion that Jean was interested in him?
4. Why does Kinsey head to the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs spa after she obtains Jean's birth certificate from the courthouse? What happens there?
5. While going through the documents that Dwight Shales gave her, what does Kinsey discover about Jean Timberlake's last few months at school? When discussing the documents, what else did Dwight tell her about Jean?
6. Who shows up when Kinsey is eating with someone after she is attacked at the spa? What is that person's attitude towards Kinsey?
7. The night of Kinsey's attack at the spa she goes to the pool hall. Who does she talk with there? What does Kinsey learn?
8. After Ori's death, Kinsey goes to Shana's apartment. What does she find outside and what information does this object tell her?
9. What is Kinsey thinking about as she heads off to the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs Hotel spa after having no luck finding Shana at the three places she's checked? When she gets there, who does she talk to?
10. What is Ann's reaction to her mother's death? What does she speculate caused it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the genre of mystery novel in fictional writing. List four elements that make up the typical mystery novel. Using examples, show how F is for Fugitive is typical of a mystery novel. Give two examples of how another novel in the same genre could differ from the structure or elements that Sue Grafton, the author, used.
Essay Topic 2
Conflict is a common element of writing, in both fiction and nonfiction. Why is conflict so often used in narratives? How can it help move a story along? Give four examples where conflict in F is for Fugitive occurs and how it helps explain the relationship between Kinsey and other characters.
Essay Topic 3
Explain what foreshadowing is and how it is used in F is for Fugitive, citing three examples that you believe are examples of foreshadowing. Each example must come from a different scene in the book. Explain how each example relates to the outcome of the novel.
This section contains 1,315 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)