|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Kinsey so anxious to get hold of Shana Timberlake on the phone at the beginning of Chapter 21?
2. Kinsey heads for the spa after she is finished looking at the courthouse document. Whose office does she go to?
3. After visiting the man who headed the youth group, Kinsey goes to the courthouse. What does she get there?
4. Jean joined a certain group just before she died because she was interested in the boy who headed it. Who was he?
5. What does Kinsey find inside a small storage compartment of mechanical equipment on the spa property?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the name of the man who had led the Baptist Church group when he was young? What does he do for a living? How did he respond to Kinsey's suggestion that Jean was interested in him?
2. After her talk with Dr. Dunne, Kinsey returns to the motel and learns from Jack Clemson that Bailey has been given sanctuary at the church by Mrs. Haws. Kinsey then decides to go back to the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs spa. What does she find there and what does this discovery lead her to?
3. What is the reaction of the spouse of the person who attacked Kinsey at the spa? What is the name of this person and what do they tell Kinsey about Jean Timberlake?
4. After Kinsey checks out the spa property, who is she confronted by? What does this person tell her? What does Kinsey do?
5. What does the man who headed the Baptist youth group tell Kinsey about the Reverend Haws? How does he know this?
6. After Ori's death, Kinsey goes to Shana's apartment. What does she find outside and what information does this object tell her?
7. After Kinsey is attacked at the spa, where does she go to eat? Who does she end up eating with and what do they talk about?
8. Why does Kinsey head over to the Baptist Church after finding the item outside the apartment? What happens there? Where does she go next and what does she speculate about?
9. Why does Kinsey head to the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs spa after she obtains Jean's birth certificate from the courthouse? What happens there?
10. When Kinsey goes back to the motel after talking to members of a local family at the pool hall, who does she run into? What does this person tell her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
State the theme of F is for Fugitive. How is the theme of the story reflected in the conflicts Kinsey Millhone's experiences as she works on her case? Give four examples with an explanation for each one.
Essay Topic 2
In reference to the plotting of F is for Fugitive,
(1) Why are the events of the novel arranged as they are?
(2) What moves the narrative along? Is it external action or internal conflicts? Or is it a combination of both? Support your answer with three examples.
Essay Topic 3
Define the components of the literary element of plot known as "exposition". What purpose does it serve in writing? Give four examples of Sue Grafton's use of exposition in F is for Fugitive that enhance the novel.
This section contains 1,213 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)