|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Kinsey eager to get away from Ann and Ori at the end of Chapter 20?
2. What does the doctor at the spa tell Kinsey about Jean?
3. When Kinsey returns to the motel after her confrontation with Dr. Dunne, she has a call from Jack Clemson. What news does he have for her?
4. How does the doctor react to Kinsey's injuries that his wife inflicted on her?
5. Kinsey decides to leave Ori and her housekeeper to their gossip about Bailey and visit Tap Granger's widow. What is her name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who attacks Kinsey at the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs spa? What is she attacked with? How does Kinsey retaliate?
2. The morning after the threatening phone call, what does Kinsey ask Ann in regards to Jean? What does Ann tell her?
3. The night of Kinsey's attack at the spa she goes to the pool hall. Who does she talk with there? What does Kinsey learn?
4. What is Kinsey thinking about as she heads off to the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs Hotel spa after having no luck finding Shana at the three places she's checked? When she gets there, who does she talk to?
5. What was the name of the man who had led the Baptist Church group when he was young? What does he do for a living? How did he respond to Kinsey's suggestion that Jean was interested in him?
6. After her talk with Dr. Dunne, Kinsey returns to the motel and learns from Jack Clemson that Bailey has been given sanctuary at the church by Mrs. Haws. Kinsey then decides to go back to the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs spa. What does she find there and what does this discovery lead her to?
7. Why does Kinsey head to the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs spa after she obtains Jean's birth certificate from the courthouse? What happens there?
8. At the beginning of Chapter 21, Kinsey phones both Shana and Dr. Dunne's office. What does she want to know? Is she successful?
9. What is the reaction of the spouse of the person who attacked Kinsey at the spa? What is the name of this person and what do they tell Kinsey about Jean Timberlake?
10. What happens at the end of Chapter 24 that sends Kinsey racing back to the motel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tone refers to the attitude of the narrator of a work. Through Kinsey, as the narrator of F is for Fugitive, what is the author's tone at different stages of the book? Explain the tone, with examples:
(1) At the beginning of the book, when Kinsey takes on the Fowler/Timberlake case
(2) When Kinsey is doing the groundwork of her investigation
(3) When Kinsey is coming up against obstacles in her investigation
(4) When Kinsey gets the answers she needs to solve the case.
Essay Topic 2
Conflict is a common element of writing, in both fiction and nonfiction. Why is conflict so often used in narratives? How can it help move a story along? Give four examples where conflict in F is for Fugitive occurs and how it helps explain the relationship between Kinsey and other characters.
Essay Topic 3
In reference to the plotting of F is for Fugitive,
(1) Why are the events of the novel arranged as they are?
(2) What moves the narrative along? Is it external action or internal conflicts? Or is it a combination of both? Support your answer with three examples.
This section contains 1,296 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)