|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who speculated that Ori's insulin had been replaced by something she was allergic to?
2. What does Ann tell Kinsey about Jean's relationship with Bailey's parents?
3. How does the doctor react to Kinsey's injuries that his wife inflicted on her?
4. What does Kinsey do after getting off the phone with Jack Clemson?
5. What is Dr. Dunne's reaction to the news of Ori's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who shows up when Kinsey is eating with someone after she is attacked at the spa? What is that person's attitude towards Kinsey?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 21, Kinsey phones both Shana and Dr. Dunne's office. What does she want to know? Is she successful?
3. Why does Kinsey head to the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs spa after she obtains Jean's birth certificate from the courthouse? What happens there?
4. What does the spa owner admit to Kinsey about Shana and Jean? What is his reaction to Ori's death? What does he say about the father of Jean's unborn child?
5. After her talk with Dr. Dunne, Kinsey returns to the motel and learns from Jack Clemson that Bailey has been given sanctuary at the church by Mrs. Haws. Kinsey then decides to go back to the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs spa. What does she find there and what does this discovery lead her to?
6. Kinsey is woken up during the night after meeting with members of a local family at the pool hall. What wakes her up and what is the result of this?
7. After running away from the spa property, where does Kinsey end up? What does she talk about with this individual?
8. What was the name of the man who had led the Baptist Church group when he was young? What does he do for a living? How did he respond to Kinsey's suggestion that Jean was interested in him?
9. The morning after she receives a threatening phone call, what does Kinsey overhear at the local diner?
10. After Ori's death, Kinsey goes to Shana's apartment. What does she find outside and what information does this object tell her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In reference to the plotting of F is for Fugitive,
(1) Why are the events of the novel arranged as they are?
(2) What moves the narrative along? Is it external action or internal conflicts? Or is it a combination of both? Support your answer with three examples.
Essay Topic 2
Define climax as part of the plot structure in literature. Where does the climax occur in F is for Fugitive? What is the result of the events of the climax? What does it reveal about the purpose of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Define the genre of mystery novel in fictional writing. List four elements that make up the typical mystery novel. Using examples, show how F is for Fugitive is typical of a mystery novel. Give two examples of how another novel in the same genre could differ from the structure or elements that Sue Grafton, the author, used.
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)