|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kinsey find inside a small storage compartment of mechanical equipment on the spa property?
2. Kinsey has no success tracking Shana at the church or the old apartment. She now goes to talk to Dr. Dunne. What does he admit to?
3. When Kinsey phones Doctor Dunne's office, she really just wants to speak to the nurse receptionist. What is she trying to find out?
4. Jean joined a certain group just before she died because she was interested in the boy who headed it. Who was he?
5. What does Tap Granger's widow tell Kinsey about the gun he had at the courthouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. The morning after she receives a threatening phone call, what does Kinsey overhear at the local diner?
2. The night of Kinsey's attack at the spa she goes to the pool hall. Who does she talk with there? What does Kinsey learn?
3. Who shows up when Kinsey was visiting Joleen Granger? What does he tell Kinsey?
4. Kinsey decides to go visit Tap Granger's widow, Joleen. What is her impression of Joleen? What does Joleen tell Kinsey about Tap?
5. After Kinsey is attacked at the spa, where does she go to eat? Who does she end up eating with and what do they talk about?
6. What is Ann's reaction to her mother's death? What does she speculate caused it?
7. After her talk with Dr. Dunne, Kinsey returns to the motel and learns from Jack Clemson that Bailey has been given sanctuary at the church by Mrs. Haws. Kinsey then decides to go back to the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs spa. What does she find there and what does this discovery lead her to?
8. What does the man who headed the Baptist youth group tell Kinsey about the Reverend Haws? How does he know this?
9. What happens at the end of Chapter 24 that sends Kinsey racing back to the motel?
10. What is Kinsey thinking about as she heads off to the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs Hotel spa after having no luck finding Shana at the three places she's checked? When she gets there, who does she talk to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role do other characters play in the mystery novel F is for Fugitive? Are they as important to the narrative as the narrator (Kinsey) is? Give four examples where four other characters are central to the story-telling. Give two examples where the narrative is focused only on Kinsey. Give two examples where Kinsey's relationship with two other characters is the focus of the narrative.
Essay Topic 2
The protagonist of a story is not always portrayed in a positive light. In many novels, the protagonist makes a change or comes to a realization about some aspect of their life. Kinsey, although an adult, still grapples with personal issues that often make her question her life. The role of the protagonist is portrayed in F is for Fugitive in both a positive and negative light. Give at least three examples from the novel that characterize Kinsey in both these lights and analyze her behavior in the novel that show her as a protagonist that is not perfect.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how dialogue in fiction serves as a device to enhance:
Give one example from F is for Fugitive that illustrates each of these elements.
This section contains 1,242 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)