|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Kinsey eager to get away from Ann and Ori at the end of Chapter 20?
2. Tap Granger's widow tells Kinsey that he had recently come into some money. How did she say he got the money?
3. After the doctor finishes his shower, how does he respond to Kinsey's questions about Jean Timberlake?
4. Why is Kinsey so anxious to get hold of Shana Timberlake on the phone at the beginning of Chapter 21?
5. What do Rick and Kinsey talk about at the pool hall?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Kinsey goes back to the motel after talking to members of a local family at the pool hall, who does she run into? What does this person tell her?
2. Who shows up when Kinsey is eating with someone after she is attacked at the spa? What is that person's attitude towards Kinsey?
3. Why does Kinsey head over to the Baptist Church after finding the item outside the apartment? What happens there? Where does she go next and what does she speculate about?
4. After Ori's death, Kinsey goes to Shana's apartment. What does she find outside and what information does this object tell her?
5. Who shows up when Kinsey was visiting Joleen Granger? What does he tell Kinsey?
6. What does the spa owner admit to Kinsey about Shana and Jean? What is his reaction to Ori's death? What does he say about the father of Jean's unborn child?
7. What is Ann's reaction to her mother's death? What does she speculate caused it?
8. At the beginning of Chapter 21, Kinsey phones both Shana and Dr. Dunne's office. What does she want to know? Is she successful?
9. What happens at the end of Chapter 24 that sends Kinsey racing back to the motel?
10. Kinsey decides to go visit Tap Granger's widow, Joleen. What is her impression of Joleen? What does Joleen tell Kinsey about Tap?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
F is for Fugitive is a first person narrative, told from private investigator Kinsey Millhone's point-of-view. Briefly explain how the first person narrative is effective and how it is limited. Give four specific examples that show how the story is effective told from Kinsey's point of view, and how our vicarious experience of them is enhanced.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how dialogue in fiction serves as a device to enhance:
Give one example from F is for Fugitive that illustrates each of these elements.
Essay Topic 3
What role do other characters play in the mystery novel F is for Fugitive? Are they as important to the narrative as the narrator (Kinsey) is? Give four examples where four other characters are central to the story-telling. Give two examples where the narrative is focused only on Kinsey. Give two examples where Kinsey's relationship with two other characters is the focus of the narrative.
This section contains 1,278 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)