|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Rick so sure of the time he saw Bailey and Jean the night Jean died?
2. What does Kinsey do after getting off the phone with Jack Clemson?
3. What does the doctor at the spa tell Kinsey about Jean?
4. Dwight Shales drives Kinsey back to the motel after she visits with Tap Granger's widow. Who wants Kinsey to visit him, according to Ann?
5. What does Kinsey do in the doctor's office while he is in the shower?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Kinsey goes back to the motel after talking to members of a local family at the pool hall, who does she run into? What does this person tell her?
2. The morning after the threatening phone call, what does Kinsey ask Ann in regards to Jean? What does Ann tell her?
3. What does the man who headed the Baptist youth group tell Kinsey about the Reverend Haws? How does he know this?
4. Kinsey is woken up during the night after meeting with members of a local family at the pool hall. What wakes her up and what is the result of this?
5. Who shows up when Kinsey was visiting Joleen Granger? What does he tell Kinsey?
6. What is the reaction of the spouse of the person who attacked Kinsey at the spa? What is the name of this person and what do they tell Kinsey about Jean Timberlake?
7. Who attacks Kinsey at the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs spa? What is she attacked with? How does Kinsey retaliate?
8. After her talk with Dr. Dunne, Kinsey returns to the motel and learns from Jack Clemson that Bailey has been given sanctuary at the church by Mrs. Haws. Kinsey then decides to go back to the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs spa. What does she find there and what does this discovery lead her to?
9. What is Ann's reaction to her mother's death? What does she speculate caused it?
10. After running away from the spa property, where does Kinsey end up? What does she talk about with this individual?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The protagonist of a story is not always portrayed in a positive light. In many novels, the protagonist makes a change or comes to a realization about some aspect of their life. Kinsey, although an adult, still grapples with personal issues that often make her question her life. The role of the protagonist is portrayed in F is for Fugitive in both a positive and negative light. Give at least three examples from the novel that characterize Kinsey in both these lights and analyze her behavior in the novel that show her as a protagonist that is not perfect.
Essay Topic 2
Define what is meant by "style" in writing. Discuss what kind of style is used in traditional nonfiction, novels, and creative nonfiction. Which style was used in the writing of F is for Fugitive? Support your answer with four examples.
Essay Topic 3
The setting refers to the time and the place where a story occurs. Discuss the main setting of F is for Fugitive as the background for the telling of the narrative. What elements of the setting would be very different if the novel was set in a large city? Give four specific examples.
This section contains 1,181 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)