|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 24, Kinsey talks to Ann. Why does Kinsey feel she better get back to the motel as soon as possible?
2. What does Kinsey find inside a small storage compartment of mechanical equipment on the spa property?
3. Having no success at the Baptist Church, Kinsey heads to the apartment where the Timberlakes lived when Jean died. What does she notice there?
4. What does Kinsey's dinner companion tell her as they eat at the restaurant?
5. After badgering him about Jean, what does Dwight Shales admit?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 21, Kinsey phones both Shana and Dr. Dunne's office. What does she want to know? Is she successful?
2. Before phoning Shana and Dr. Dunne's office, Kinsey had left the room to avoid seeing Ann give Ori an injection. When she is finished her calls, what happens? What is the result of this?
3. What was the name of the man who had led the Baptist Church group when he was young? What does he do for a living? How did he respond to Kinsey's suggestion that Jean was interested in him?
4. Who attacks Kinsey at the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs spa? What is she attacked with? How does Kinsey retaliate?
5. What is Ann's reaction to her mother's death? What does she speculate caused it?
6. The morning after the threatening phone call, what does Kinsey ask Ann in regards to Jean? What does Ann tell her?
7. The night of Kinsey's attack at the spa she goes to the pool hall. Who does she talk with there? What does Kinsey learn?
8. The morning after she receives a threatening phone call, what does Kinsey overhear at the local diner?
9. Why does Kinsey head to the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs spa after she obtains Jean's birth certificate from the courthouse? What happens there?
10. After Kinsey is attacked at the spa, where does she go to eat? Who does she end up eating with and what do they talk about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The setting refers to the time and the place where a story occurs. Discuss the main setting of F is for Fugitive as the background for the telling of the narrative. What elements of the setting would be very different if the novel was set in a large city? Give four specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
State the theme of F is for Fugitive. How is the theme of the story reflected in the conflicts Kinsey Millhone's experiences as she works on her case? Give four examples with an explanation for each one.
Essay Topic 3
Define the genre of mystery novel in fictional writing. List four elements that make up the typical mystery novel. Using examples, show how F is for Fugitive is typical of a mystery novel. Give two examples of how another novel in the same genre could differ from the structure or elements that Sue Grafton, the author, used.
This section contains 1,197 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)