|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The doctor's wife attacks Kinsey at the spa. What does she attack her with?
2. The doctor at the spa calls his wife into his office after Kinsey begins asking questions. What is her name?
3. What is Ann's reaction to her mother's death?
4. When Kinsey returns to the motel after her confrontation with Dr. Dunne, she has a call from Jack Clemson. What news does he have for her?
5. After visiting the man who headed the youth group, Kinsey goes to the courthouse. What does she get there?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who attacks Kinsey at the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs spa? What is she attacked with? How does Kinsey retaliate?
2. After running away from the spa property, where does Kinsey end up? What does she talk about with this individual?
3. After her talk with Dr. Dunne, Kinsey returns to the motel and learns from Jack Clemson that Bailey has been given sanctuary at the church by Mrs. Haws. Kinsey then decides to go back to the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs spa. What does she find there and what does this discovery lead her to?
4. Who shows up when Kinsey was visiting Joleen Granger? What does he tell Kinsey?
5. What is Kinsey thinking about as she heads off to the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs Hotel spa after having no luck finding Shana at the three places she's checked? When she gets there, who does she talk to?
6. Why does Kinsey head to the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs spa after she obtains Jean's birth certificate from the courthouse? What happens there?
7. What does the man who headed the Baptist youth group tell Kinsey about the Reverend Haws? How does he know this?
8. After Kinsey checks out the spa property, who is she confronted by? What does this person tell her? What does Kinsey do?
9. When Kinsey goes back to the motel after talking to members of a local family at the pool hall, who does she run into? What does this person tell her?
10. Why does Kinsey head over to the Baptist Church after finding the item outside the apartment? What happens there? Where does she go next and what does she speculate about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The setting refers to the time and the place where a story occurs. Discuss the main setting of F is for Fugitive as the background for the telling of the narrative. What elements of the setting would be very different if the novel was set in a large city? Give four specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
What does authenticity mean when it it is applied to the writing of fiction? What must be made authentic in the genre of mystery novel writing? Give four examples of specific topics or events that the author has made authentic in F is for Fugitive.
Essay Topic 3
Tone refers to the attitude of the narrator of a work. Through Kinsey, as the narrator of F is for Fugitive, what is the author's tone at different stages of the book? Explain the tone, with examples:
(1) At the beginning of the book, when Kinsey takes on the Fowler/Timberlake case
(2) When Kinsey is doing the groundwork of her investigation
(3) When Kinsey is coming up against obstacles in her investigation
(4) When Kinsey gets the answers she needs to solve the case.
This section contains 1,211 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)