|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After talking to Ann about her parents, where does Kinsey go hoping to find Shana Timberlake?
2. When Kinsey returns to the Fowler's motel, what does Ann tell her about her parents?
3. What does Kinsey notice about the hot tubs at the spa she visited after Bailey's escape?
4. Why did Kinsey feel uncomfortable at the end of Chapter 3?
5. The evening of her angry confrontation with Royce, Kinsey has tea with Ann. What does Ann tell her about her childhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Bailey calls Kinsey in her new motel room. What do they talk about? What happens at the end of the conversation?
2. What happened at the motel after Bailey escaped from the courtroom?
3. After losing her phone connection with Bailey, who calls Kinsey? What is the result of this call?
4. KInsey finally gets to talk to Shana about Jean. What does she find out?
5. After her visit to the high school, Kinsey heads over to the San Luis Obispo jail to meet with Bailey Fowler. What is his mood and what does he say about Jean?
6. Who hires Kinsey Millhone at the beginning of F is for Fugitive? What will Kinsey be paid to do?
7. After returning from her visit with Shana, Kinsey has dinner with the Fowlers. What dramatic events happen?
8. After visiting the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs spa, Kinsey returns to the pool hall. What does she find out what happened to Tap after their conversation the night before?
9. Why is Royce Fowler particularly interested in proving his son's innocence with Kinsey's help?
10. After Kinsey returns home from her first meeting with Royce Fowler, what does she do to find out more about Bailey Fowler and Jean Timberlake? What does she learn about Bailey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role do other characters play in the mystery novel F is for Fugitive? Are they as important to the narrative as the narrator (Kinsey) is? Give four examples where four other characters are central to the story-telling. Give two examples where the narrative is focused only on Kinsey. Give two examples where Kinsey's relationship with two other characters is the focus of the narrative.
Essay Topic 2
Define what is meant by "style" in writing. Discuss what kind of style is used in traditional nonfiction, novels, and creative nonfiction. Which style was used in the writing of F is for Fugitive? Support your answer with four examples.
Essay Topic 3
Define the components of the literary element of plot known as "exposition". What purpose does it serve in writing? Give four examples of Sue Grafton's use of exposition in F is for Fugitive that enhance the novel.
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)