|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man who burst into the courtroom do, before hauling Bailey out of the courtroom with him?
2. What does Kinsey find out had happened to Tap after he went to the bathroom?
3. What does Oribelle (Ori) Fowler suffer from?
4. What is the name of the motel Kinsey will call home during Bailey's case?
5. What was the name of the night manager at the Fowler's motel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who hires Kinsey Millhone at the beginning of F is for Fugitive? What will Kinsey be paid to do?
2. The day after talking to Tap Granger at the bar, Kinsey goes with Royce to the courthouse. Why are they there and who does Kinsey talk to there? What does he tell her?
3. After returning from her visit with Shana, Kinsey has dinner with the Fowlers. What dramatic events happen?
4. Kinsey heads to San Luis Obispo. Who does she go to see there? How is she received at his office? What surprising detail does he tell her at the end of their visit?
5. Kinsey goes to the local bar and sits with the owner, Curtis Pearl, known as Pearl, who tells her something about the night of Jean's death. What does he tell her?
6. Where does Kinsey live and what are her current living conditions?
7. After Royce is taken to the hospital, Kinsey has tea with Ann and finds out about her unhappy childhood. When Kinsey goes to her room for the night, what does she discover? How is the situation handled?
8. Why is Royce Fowler particularly interested in proving his son's innocence with Kinsey's help?
9. After Kinsey returns home from her first meeting with Royce Fowler, what does she do to find out more about Bailey Fowler and Jean Timberlake? What does she learn about Bailey?
10. What were the circumstances of Bailey Fowler's arrest in Los Angeles a few weeks before Kinsey is hired?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In reference to the plotting of F is for Fugitive,
(1) Why are the events of the novel arranged as they are?
(2) What moves the narrative along? Is it external action or internal conflicts? Or is it a combination of both? Support your answer with three examples.
Essay Topic 2
What does authenticity mean when it it is applied to the writing of fiction? What must be made authentic in the genre of mystery novel writing? Give four examples of specific topics or events that the author has made authentic in F is for Fugitive.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how dialogue in fiction serves as a device to enhance:
Give one example from F is for Fugitive that illustrates each of these elements.
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)