Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kinsey goes for a run when she gets home from her first meeting with Royce. Where does she run?
2. What does Bailey's lawyer tell Kinsey when she runs into him at the courthouse?
3. Kinsey goes to visit Shana, who takes a shower. What does Kinsey do while Shana is in the shower?
4. After the men escaped from the courtroom, what happened to them?
5. What does Shana say about the money Bailey and Tap had acquired through their criminal activity?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Ori's death, Kinsey goes to Shana's apartment. What does she find outside and what information does this object tell her?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 21, Kinsey phones both Shana and Dr. Dunne's office. What does she want to know? Is she successful?
3. Why does Kinsey head to the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs spa after she obtains Jean's birth certificate from the courthouse? What happens there?
4. Kinsey heads to San Luis Obispo. Who does she go to see there? How is she received at his office? What surprising detail does he tell her at the end of their visit?
5. What is the reaction of the spouse of the person who attacked Kinsey at the spa? What is the name of this person and what do they tell Kinsey about Jean Timberlake?
6. What happens at the end of Chapter 24 that sends Kinsey racing back to the motel?
7. While at the high school, who does Kinsey talk to and what is the result?
8. After returning from her visit with Shana, Kinsey has dinner with the Fowlers. What dramatic events happen?
9. After Kinsey returns home from her first meeting with Royce Fowler, what does she do to find out more about Bailey Fowler and Jean Timberlake? What does she learn about Bailey?
10. Kinsey races back to the motel even though she can hear police sirens and she is pretty sure they are looking for her. When she gets there, what two things does she notice? What does she also finally realize?
Essay Topic 1
Tone refers to the attitude of the narrator of a work. Through Kinsey, as the narrator of F is for Fugitive, what is the author's tone at different stages of the book? Explain the tone, with examples:
(1) At the beginning of the book, when Kinsey takes on the Fowler/Timberlake case
(2) When Kinsey is doing the groundwork of her investigation
(3) When Kinsey is coming up against obstacles in her investigation
(4) When Kinsey gets the answers she needs to solve the case.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how dialogue in fiction serves as a device to enhance:
Give one example from F is for Fugitive that illustrates each of these elements.
Essay Topic 3
In reference to the plotting of F is for Fugitive,
(1) Why are the events of the novel arranged as they are?
(2) What moves the narrative along? Is it external action or internal conflicts? Or is it a combination of both? Support your answer with three examples.
This section contains 1,214 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)