|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Kinsey returns to the Fowler's motel, what does Ann tell her about her parents?
2. How is Shana Timberlake related to Jean?
3. Ann Fowler tells Kinsey she is on a leave of absence from her job. What is her job?
4. How much time did Bailey serve for his first charge?
5. What does someone tell Kinsey about Tap's last night alive?
Short Essay Questions
1. After visiting the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs spa, Kinsey returns to the pool hall. What does she find out what happened to Tap after their conversation the night before?
2. How do Ann Fowler and her mother get along? In Chapter 3, how do we know that Ori might be racist?
3. Kinsey goes to the local high school to try to find out more about Jean Timberlake. How does she do this and what does she find out?
4. Bailey calls Kinsey in her new motel room. What do they talk about? What happens at the end of the conversation?
5. What does the lawyer tell Kinsey about Bailey's first brush with the law, before Jean's death?
6. While at the high school, who does Kinsey talk to and what is the result?
7. After Kinsey returns home from her first meeting with Royce Fowler, what does she do to find out more about Bailey Fowler and Jean Timberlake? What does she learn about Bailey?
8. When Kinsey goes to the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs Hotel spa for the first time, what does she observe there? Who owns the hotel?
9. KInsey finally gets to talk to Shana about Jean. What does she find out?
10. Who joined Kinsey and Pearl in the bar and what did Kinsey learn from him? What happens at the end of the conversation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ann Fowler is presented as an antagonist in F is for Fugitive. Why did the author choose to keep this hidden from the reader until very near the end of the novel? Explain how the author presents Ann in a negative light, giving four examples. Choose one example that might give the reader a hint of Ann's role in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What role do other characters play in the mystery novel F is for Fugitive? Are they as important to the narrative as the narrator (Kinsey) is? Give four examples where four other characters are central to the story-telling. Give two examples where the narrative is focused only on Kinsey. Give two examples where Kinsey's relationship with two other characters is the focus of the narrative.
Essay Topic 3
What does authenticity mean when it it is applied to the writing of fiction? What must be made authentic in the genre of mystery novel writing? Give four examples of specific topics or events that the author has made authentic in F is for Fugitive.
This section contains 1,193 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)