|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kinsey goes for a run when she gets home from her first meeting with Royce. Where does she run?
2. When Bailey was charged for the death of Jean Timberlake, what was the result?
3. Kinsey has to live with Henry Pitts while her place is being renovated. Who is Henry?
4. After meeting Oribelle and Ann for the first time at the motel, where does Kinsey go?
5. When Kinsey is settled into her new motel room, Bailey calls her. What does he tell her?
Short Essay Questions
1. After her visit to the high school, Kinsey heads over to the San Luis Obispo jail to meet with Bailey Fowler. What is his mood and what does he say about Jean?
2. As a result of his first experience with the justice system, what did Bailey decide to do when he was charged with Jean's death? What was the result of this?
3. Who shows up when Kinsey was visiting Joleen Granger? What does he tell Kinsey?
4. What does the man who headed the Baptist youth group tell Kinsey about the Reverend Haws? How does he know this?
5. After visiting the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs spa, Kinsey returns to the pool hall. What does she find out what happened to Tap after their conversation the night before?
6. Kinsey finally gets a chance to meet Shana Timberlake, Jean's mother. Where does she meet her and what are the circumstances?
7. What does Kinsey find out from Ori when she has her first chance to talk to her?
8. Kinsey is woken up during the night after meeting with members of a local family at the pool hall. What wakes her up and what is the result of this?
9. Why does Kinsey head over to the Baptist Church after finding the item outside the apartment? What happens there? Where does she go next and what does she speculate about?
10. Why does Kinsey head to the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs spa after she obtains Jean's birth certificate from the courthouse? What happens there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tone refers to the attitude of the narrator of a work. Through Kinsey, as the narrator of F is for Fugitive, what is the author's tone at different stages of the book? Explain the tone, with examples:
(1) At the beginning of the book, when Kinsey takes on the Fowler/Timberlake case
(2) When Kinsey is doing the groundwork of her investigation
(3) When Kinsey is coming up against obstacles in her investigation
(4) When Kinsey gets the answers she needs to solve the case.
Essay Topic 2
The setting refers to the time and the place where a story occurs. Discuss the main setting of F is for Fugitive as the background for the telling of the narrative. What elements of the setting would be very different if the novel was set in a large city? Give four specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how dialogue in fiction serves as a device to enhance:
Give one example from F is for Fugitive that illustrates each of these elements.
This section contains 2,069 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)