|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Royce's motel lobby, Kinsey finds a pamphlet for the Eucalyptus Mineral Hot Springs. What does the pamphlet advertise?
2. On the phone to him in her new motel room, what does Kinsey try to talk Bailey into doing?
3. Who was the principal at Jean Timberlake's old high school?
4. While Kinsey is talking to Bailey on the phone in her new motel room, what does he do?
5. What does Shana tell Kinsey about her relationship with Jean just before she died?
Short Essay Questions
1. The day after talking to Tap Granger at the bar, Kinsey goes with Royce to the courthouse. Why are they there and who does Kinsey talk to there? What does he tell her?
2. After Kinsey returns home from her first meeting with Royce Fowler, what does she do to find out more about Bailey Fowler and Jean Timberlake? What does she learn about Bailey?
3. Who joined Kinsey and Pearl in the bar and what did Kinsey learn from him? What happens at the end of the conversation?
4. After visiting the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs spa, Kinsey returns to the pool hall. What does she find out what happened to Tap after their conversation the night before?
5. In Chapter 10, Kinsey visits with one of Jean's old classmates. Who was it and what did she find out?
6. What events happen in the courtroom soon after everyone is waiting for Bailey's case to be called?
7. Where does Kinsey live and what are her current living conditions?
8. After Royce is taken to the hospital, Kinsey has tea with Ann and finds out about her unhappy childhood. When Kinsey goes to her room for the night, what does she discover? How is the situation handled?
9. After returning from her visit with Shana, Kinsey has dinner with the Fowlers. What dramatic events happen?
10. When Kinsey goes to the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs Hotel spa for the first time, what does she observe there? Who owns the hotel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
F is for Fugitive is a first person narrative, told from private investigator Kinsey Millhone's point-of-view. Briefly explain how the first person narrative is effective and how it is limited. Give four specific examples that show how the story is effective told from Kinsey's point of view, and how our vicarious experience of them is enhanced.
Essay Topic 2
In reference to the plotting of F is for Fugitive,
(1) Why are the events of the novel arranged as they are?
(2) What moves the narrative along? Is it external action or internal conflicts? Or is it a combination of both? Support your answer with three examples.
Essay Topic 3
Conflict is a common element of writing, in both fiction and nonfiction. Why is conflict so often used in narratives? How can it help move a story along? Give four examples where conflict in F is for Fugitive occurs and how it helps explain the relationship between Kinsey and other characters.
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)