|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kinsey is hired to investigate a crime that Bailey Fowler was accused of committing seventeen years against Jean Timberlake. What was he charged with?
2. After leaving the spa for the first time, where does Kinsey go?
3. Why did Bailey feel he got burned on his first case?
4. Ann Fowler tells Kinsey she is on a leave of absence from her job. What is her job?
5. What does the man who burst into the courtroom do, before hauling Bailey out of the courtroom with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the circumstances of Bailey Fowler's arrest in Los Angeles a few weeks before Kinsey is hired?
2. After Royce is taken to the hospital, Kinsey has tea with Ann and finds out about her unhappy childhood. When Kinsey goes to her room for the night, what does she discover? How is the situation handled?
3. Who hires Kinsey Millhone at the beginning of F is for Fugitive? What will Kinsey be paid to do?
4. What does the lawyer tell Kinsey about Bailey's first brush with the law, before Jean's death?
5. The day after talking to Tap Granger at the bar, Kinsey goes with Royce to the courthouse. Why are they there and who does Kinsey talk to there? What does he tell her?
6. Where does Kinsey live and what are her current living conditions?
7. Where does the Fowler family live? List the three family members who live there and briefly describe each one.
8. As a result of his first experience with the justice system, what did Bailey decide to do when he was charged with Jean's death? What was the result of this?
9. Kinsey finally gets a chance to meet Shana Timberlake, Jean's mother. Where does she meet her and what are the circumstances?
10. After returning from her visit with Shana, Kinsey has dinner with the Fowlers. What dramatic events happen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how dialogue in fiction serves as a device to enhance:
Give one example from F is for Fugitive that illustrates each of these elements.
Essay Topic 2
Rising action in a story or novel leads up to the climax. It is usually composed of conflict of some sort that will ultimately lead to a climax in the story. List five examples where Grafton introduces conflict into the rising action to lead the story to a climax.
Essay Topic 3
The protagonist of a story is not always portrayed in a positive light. In many novels, the protagonist makes a change or comes to a realization about some aspect of their life. Kinsey, although an adult, still grapples with personal issues that often make her question her life. The role of the protagonist is portrayed in F is for Fugitive in both a positive and negative light. Give at least three examples from the novel that characterize Kinsey in both these lights and analyze her behavior in the novel that show her as a protagonist that is not perfect.
This section contains 1,127 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)