|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Kinsey gets home from her run after her first visit to Floral Beach, what does she do?
2. When Bailey was charged for the death of Jean Timberlake, what was the result?
3. After she visits Shana, how does Royce make Kinsey angry?
4. Kinsey gets another call right after she talks to Bailey from her new motel room. Who wants to talk to her?
5. Kinsey goes to visit Shana, who takes a shower. What does Kinsey do while Shana is in the shower?
Short Essay Questions
1. Before phoning Shana and Dr. Dunne's office, Kinsey had left the room to avoid seeing Ann give Ori an injection. When she is finished her calls, what happens? What is the result of this?
2. What was the name of the man who had led the Baptist Church group when he was young? What does he do for a living? How did he respond to Kinsey's suggestion that Jean was interested in him?
3. In Chapter 10, Kinsey visits with one of Jean's old classmates. Who was it and what did she find out?
4. Kinsey heads to San Luis Obispo. Who does she go to see there? How is she received at his office? What surprising detail does he tell her at the end of their visit?
5. Who joined Kinsey and Pearl in the bar and what did Kinsey learn from him? What happens at the end of the conversation?
6. Who shows up when Kinsey was visiting Joleen Granger? What does he tell Kinsey?
7. After Ori's death, Kinsey goes to Shana's apartment. What does she find outside and what information does this object tell her?
8. What happened at the motel after Bailey escaped from the courtroom?
9. KInsey finally gets to talk to Shana about Jean. What does she find out?
10. What does Kinsey find out from Ori when she has her first chance to talk to her?
Essay Topic 1
What does the element of challenges add to a work of fiction, and in particular, the murder mystery novel? What challenges does Kinsey Millhone face in F is for Fugitive? Give four examples of challenges and explain how she overcomes or is defeated by these challenges.
Essay Topic 2
What role do other characters play in the mystery novel F is for Fugitive? Are they as important to the narrative as the narrator (Kinsey) is? Give four examples where four other characters are central to the story-telling. Give two examples where the narrative is focused only on Kinsey. Give two examples where Kinsey's relationship with two other characters is the focus of the narrative.
Essay Topic 3
Conflict is a common element of writing, in both fiction and nonfiction. Why is conflict so often used in narratives? How can it help move a story along? Give four examples where conflict in F is for Fugitive occurs and how it helps explain the relationship between Kinsey and other characters.
This section contains 2,106 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)