|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kinsey find out had happened to Tap after he went to the bathroom?
2. In the Royce's motel lobby, Kinsey finds a pamphlet for the Eucalyptus Mineral Hot Springs. What does the pamphlet advertise?
3. The evening of her angry confrontation with Royce, Kinsey has tea with Ann. What does Ann tell her about her childhood?
4. When Kinsey asks the wife of the owner of the spa about Jean Timberlake, what is her response?
5. What does Shana tell Kinsey about her relationship with Jean just before she died?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Henry Pitts and how does Kinsey feel about him?
2. Kinsey heads to San Luis Obispo. Who does she go to see there? How is she received at his office? What surprising detail does he tell her at the end of their visit?
3. What happened at the motel after Bailey escaped from the courtroom?
4. What were the circumstances of Bailey Fowler's arrest in Los Angeles a few weeks before Kinsey is hired?
5. How do Ann Fowler and her mother get along? In Chapter 3, how do we know that Ori might be racist?
6. What does the lawyer tell Kinsey about Bailey's first brush with the law, before Jean's death?
7. Why is Royce Fowler particularly interested in proving his son's innocence with Kinsey's help?
8. KInsey finally gets to talk to Shana about Jean. What does she find out?
9. The day after talking to Tap Granger at the bar, Kinsey goes with Royce to the courthouse. Why are they there and who does Kinsey talk to there? What does he tell her?
10. Kinsey finally gets a chance to meet Shana Timberlake, Jean's mother. Where does she meet her and what are the circumstances?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role do other characters play in the mystery novel F is for Fugitive? Are they as important to the narrative as the narrator (Kinsey) is? Give four examples where four other characters are central to the story-telling. Give two examples where the narrative is focused only on Kinsey. Give two examples where Kinsey's relationship with two other characters is the focus of the narrative.
Essay Topic 2
Define the components of the literary element of plot known as "exposition". What purpose does it serve in writing? Give four examples of Sue Grafton's use of exposition in F is for Fugitive that enhance the novel.
Essay Topic 3
F is for Fugitive is a first person narrative, told from private investigator Kinsey Millhone's point-of-view. Briefly explain how the first person narrative is effective and how it is limited. Give four specific examples that show how the story is effective told from Kinsey's point of view, and how our vicarious experience of them is enhanced.
This section contains 1,184 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)