|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The day after talking with Tap Granger, why does Kinsey go with Royce to the courthouse?
2. Which of the following was not true about Jean?
3. What does Oribelle (Ori) Fowler suffer from?
4. What was the name of the night manager at the Fowler's motel?
5. Who was the principal at Jean Timberlake's old high school?
Short Essay Questions
1. The day after talking to Tap Granger at the bar, Kinsey goes with Royce to the courthouse. Why are they there and who does Kinsey talk to there? What does he tell her?
2. After visiting Bailey in jail, Kinsey returns to the motel and has a glass of wine with his sister, Ann. What does Ann tell Kinsey about her parents' early life? What are Ann's views on Jean's death?
3. What happened at the motel after Bailey escaped from the courtroom?
4. Kinsey goes to the local high school to try to find out more about Jean Timberlake. How does she do this and what does she find out?
5. Kinsey heads to San Luis Obispo. Who does she go to see there? How is she received at his office? What surprising detail does he tell her at the end of their visit?
6. After visiting the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs spa, Kinsey returns to the pool hall. What does she find out what happened to Tap after their conversation the night before?
7. What were the circumstances of Bailey Fowler's arrest in Los Angeles a few weeks before Kinsey is hired?
8. After Kinsey returns home from her first meeting with Royce Fowler, what does she do to find out more about Bailey Fowler and Jean Timberlake? What does she learn about Bailey?
9. What does Kinsey find out from Ori when she has her first chance to talk to her?
10. Who is Henry Pitts and how does Kinsey feel about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The protagonist of a story is not always portrayed in a positive light. In many novels, the protagonist makes a change or comes to a realization about some aspect of their life. Kinsey, although an adult, still grapples with personal issues that often make her question her life. The role of the protagonist is portrayed in F is for Fugitive in both a positive and negative light. Give at least three examples from the novel that characterize Kinsey in both these lights and analyze her behavior in the novel that show her as a protagonist that is not perfect.
Essay Topic 2
The setting refers to the time and the place where a story occurs. Discuss the main setting of F is for Fugitive as the background for the telling of the narrative. What elements of the setting would be very different if the novel was set in a large city? Give four specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
In reference to the plotting of F is for Fugitive,
(1) Why are the events of the novel arranged as they are?
(2) What moves the narrative along? Is it external action or internal conflicts? Or is it a combination of both? Support your answer with three examples.
This section contains 1,181 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)