|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bailey's attitude when Kinsey first meets with him?
2. Kinsey goes for a run when she gets home from her first meeting with Royce. Where does she run?
3. What was the name of the night manager at the Fowler's motel?
4. After having tea with Ann, Kinsey goes to her motel room. What does she discover?
5. How is Shana Timberlake related to Jean?
Short Essay Questions
1. Kinsey goes to the local bar and sits with the owner, Curtis Pearl, known as Pearl, who tells her something about the night of Jean's death. What does he tell her?
2. Kinsey goes to the local high school to try to find out more about Jean Timberlake. How does she do this and what does she find out?
3. After Kinsey returns home from her first meeting with Royce Fowler, what does she do to find out more about Bailey Fowler and Jean Timberlake? What does she learn about Bailey?
4. After visiting Bailey in jail, Kinsey returns to the motel and has a glass of wine with his sister, Ann. What does Ann tell Kinsey about her parents' early life? What are Ann's views on Jean's death?
5. As a result of his first experience with the justice system, what did Bailey decide to do when he was charged with Jean's death? What was the result of this?
6. Who joined Kinsey and Pearl in the bar and what did Kinsey learn from him? What happens at the end of the conversation?
7. Who hires Kinsey Millhone at the beginning of F is for Fugitive? What will Kinsey be paid to do?
8. What does the lawyer tell Kinsey about Bailey's first brush with the law, before Jean's death?
9. After Royce is taken to the hospital, Kinsey has tea with Ann and finds out about her unhappy childhood. When Kinsey goes to her room for the night, what does she discover? How is the situation handled?
10. After her visit to the high school, Kinsey heads over to the San Luis Obispo jail to meet with Bailey Fowler. What is his mood and what does he say about Jean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the genre of mystery novel in fictional writing. List four elements that make up the typical mystery novel. Using examples, show how F is for Fugitive is typical of a mystery novel. Give two examples of how another novel in the same genre could differ from the structure or elements that Sue Grafton, the author, used.
Essay Topic 2
In reference to the plotting of F is for Fugitive,
(1) Why are the events of the novel arranged as they are?
(2) What moves the narrative along? Is it external action or internal conflicts? Or is it a combination of both? Support your answer with three examples.
Essay Topic 3
Rising action in a story or novel leads up to the climax. It is usually composed of conflict of some sort that will ultimately lead to a climax in the story. List five examples where Grafton introduces conflict into the rising action to lead the story to a climax.
This section contains 1,224 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)