|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When had Bailey Fowler and Jean Timberlake dated?
2. Who burst into the courtroom and yelled "Freeze!"?
3. After the men escaped from the courtroom, what happened to them?
4. A man named Royce hires Kinsey to investigate the case. How is he connected to Bailey?
5. After leaving the spa for the first time, where does Kinsey go?
Short Essay Questions
1. After losing her phone connection with Bailey, who calls Kinsey? What is the result of this call?
2. What does the lawyer tell Kinsey about Bailey's first brush with the law, before Jean's death?
3. Bailey calls Kinsey in her new motel room. What do they talk about? What happens at the end of the conversation?
4. After Royce is taken to the hospital, Kinsey has tea with Ann and finds out about her unhappy childhood. When Kinsey goes to her room for the night, what does she discover? How is the situation handled?
5. The day after talking to Tap Granger at the bar, Kinsey goes with Royce to the courthouse. Why are they there and who does Kinsey talk to there? What does he tell her?
6. Where does the Fowler family live? List the three family members who live there and briefly describe each one.
7. While at the high school, who does Kinsey talk to and what is the result?
8. In Chapter 10, Kinsey visits with one of Jean's old classmates. Who was it and what did she find out?
9. What were the circumstances of Bailey Fowler's arrest in Los Angeles a few weeks before Kinsey is hired?
10. After visiting Bailey in jail, Kinsey returns to the motel and has a glass of wine with his sister, Ann. What does Ann tell Kinsey about her parents' early life? What are Ann's views on Jean's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
State the theme of F is for Fugitive. How is the theme of the story reflected in the conflicts Kinsey Millhone's experiences as she works on her case? Give four examples with an explanation for each one.
Essay Topic 2
The protagonist of a story is not always portrayed in a positive light. In many novels, the protagonist makes a change or comes to a realization about some aspect of their life. Kinsey, although an adult, still grapples with personal issues that often make her question her life. The role of the protagonist is portrayed in F is for Fugitive in both a positive and negative light. Give at least three examples from the novel that characterize Kinsey in both these lights and analyze her behavior in the novel that show her as a protagonist that is not perfect.
Essay Topic 3
Define the genre of mystery novel in fictional writing. List four elements that make up the typical mystery novel. Using examples, show how F is for Fugitive is typical of a mystery novel. Give two examples of how another novel in the same genre could differ from the structure or elements that Sue Grafton, the author, used.
This section contains 1,248 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)