|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Kinsey usually live?
2. After Kinsey gets home from her run after her first visit to Floral Beach, what does she do?
3. After Bailey escapes, Kinsey returns to the motel with Royce. A lot of people show up, including one that Kinsey instantly disliked. Who was this person?
4. Kinsey decides to visit a high school classmate of Jean's. She goes to see David Poletti. What does he do for a living?
5. When Kinsey returns to the Fowler's motel, what does Ann tell her about her parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Kinsey goes to the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs Hotel spa for the first time, what does she observe there? Who owns the hotel?
2. KInsey finally gets to talk to Shana about Jean. What does she find out?
3. The day after talking to Tap Granger at the bar, Kinsey goes with Royce to the courthouse. Why are they there and who does Kinsey talk to there? What does he tell her?
4. While at the high school, who does Kinsey talk to and what is the result?
5. What is Ann's reaction to her mother's death? What does she speculate caused it?
6. After returning from her visit with Shana, Kinsey has dinner with the Fowlers. What dramatic events happen?
7. After Kinsey returns home from her first meeting with Royce Fowler, what does she do to find out more about Bailey Fowler and Jean Timberlake? What does she learn about Bailey?
8. What does the man who headed the Baptist youth group tell Kinsey about the Reverend Haws? How does he know this?
9. The night of Kinsey's attack at the spa she goes to the pool hall. Who does she talk with there? What does Kinsey learn?
10. Kinsey heads to San Luis Obispo. Who does she go to see there? How is she received at his office? What surprising detail does he tell her at the end of their visit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tone refers to the attitude of the narrator of a work. Through Kinsey, as the narrator of F is for Fugitive, what is the author's tone at different stages of the book? Explain the tone, with examples:
(1) At the beginning of the book, when Kinsey takes on the Fowler/Timberlake case
(2) When Kinsey is doing the groundwork of her investigation
(3) When Kinsey is coming up against obstacles in her investigation
(4) When Kinsey gets the answers she needs to solve the case.
Essay Topic 2
The resolution of a story is the wrapping up of details and often the aftermath of the climactic events. Why was Kinsey's report included at the end of the book as an Epilogue? Do you believe this added to the themes of truth and justice? As a reader, how did you respond to the report?
Essay Topic 3
Explain what foreshadowing is and how it is used in F is for Fugitive, citing three examples that you believe are examples of foreshadowing. Each example must come from a different scene in the book. Explain how each example relates to the outcome of the novel.
This section contains 2,166 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)