|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Royce's motel lobby, Kinsey finds a pamphlet for the Eucalyptus Mineral Hot Springs. What does the pamphlet advertise?
2. Bailey's first criminal charge involved another individual. What was his name?
3. After talking to Ann about her parents, where does Kinsey go hoping to find Shana Timberlake?
4. While Kinsey is talking to Bailey on the phone in her new motel room, what does he do?
5. Where do Royce Fowler and his wife live?
Short Essay Questions
1. The day after talking to Tap Granger at the bar, Kinsey goes with Royce to the courthouse. Why are they there and who does Kinsey talk to there? What does he tell her?
2. What does Kinsey find out from Ori when she has her first chance to talk to her?
3. What happened at the motel after Bailey escaped from the courtroom?
4. Who joined Kinsey and Pearl in the bar and what did Kinsey learn from him? What happens at the end of the conversation?
5. Kinsey heads to San Luis Obispo. Who does she go to see there? How is she received at his office? What surprising detail does he tell her at the end of their visit?
6. As a result of his first experience with the justice system, what did Bailey decide to do when he was charged with Jean's death? What was the result of this?
7. After Royce is taken to the hospital, Kinsey has tea with Ann and finds out about her unhappy childhood. When Kinsey goes to her room for the night, what does she discover? How is the situation handled?
8. In Chapter 10, Kinsey visits with one of Jean's old classmates. Who was it and what did she find out?
9. After returning from her visit with Shana, Kinsey has dinner with the Fowlers. What dramatic events happen?
10. Kinsey finally gets a chance to meet Shana Timberlake, Jean's mother. Where does she meet her and what are the circumstances?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The protagonist of a story is not always portrayed in a positive light. In many novels, the protagonist makes a change or comes to a realization about some aspect of their life. Kinsey, although an adult, still grapples with personal issues that often make her question her life. The role of the protagonist is portrayed in F is for Fugitive in both a positive and negative light. Give at least three examples from the novel that characterize Kinsey in both these lights and analyze her behavior in the novel that show her as a protagonist that is not perfect.
Essay Topic 2
Define the components of the literary element of plot known as "exposition". What purpose does it serve in writing? Give four examples of Sue Grafton's use of exposition in F is for Fugitive that enhance the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Define what is meant by "style" in writing. Discuss what kind of style is used in traditional nonfiction, novels, and creative nonfiction. Which style was used in the writing of F is for Fugitive? Support your answer with four examples.
This section contains 1,176 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)