|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When had Bailey Fowler and Jean Timberlake dated?
2. Why did Bailey feel he got burned on his first case?
3. What time did the eyewitness say Bailey and Jean were seen at the beach the night she died?
4. Kinsey spends hours talking to someone after Bailey hung up on her. Who did she talk to?
5. What is the name of the motel Kinsey will call home during Bailey's case?
Short Essay Questions
1. After visiting the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs spa, Kinsey returns to the pool hall. What does she find out what happened to Tap after their conversation the night before?
2. Who hires Kinsey Millhone at the beginning of F is for Fugitive? What will Kinsey be paid to do?
3. In Chapter 10, Kinsey visits with one of Jean's old classmates. Who was it and what did she find out?
4. While at the high school, who does Kinsey talk to and what is the result?
5. Kinsey goes to the local bar and sits with the owner, Curtis Pearl, known as Pearl, who tells her something about the night of Jean's death. What does he tell her?
6. After Royce is taken to the hospital, Kinsey has tea with Ann and finds out about her unhappy childhood. When Kinsey goes to her room for the night, what does she discover? How is the situation handled?
7. Kinsey heads to San Luis Obispo. Who does she go to see there? How is she received at his office? What surprising detail does he tell her at the end of their visit?
8. Who joined Kinsey and Pearl in the bar and what did Kinsey learn from him? What happens at the end of the conversation?
9. The day after talking to Tap Granger at the bar, Kinsey goes with Royce to the courthouse. Why are they there and who does Kinsey talk to there? What does he tell her?
10. When Kinsey goes to the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs Hotel spa for the first time, what does she observe there? Who owns the hotel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Humor is an element of fiction that is often employed by authors. Why is it used? How can it enhance a novel? Give four examples of Sue Grafton's use of humor where you feel the pace and the theme of F is for Fugitive has been enhanced by its use.
Essay Topic 2
Rising action in a story or novel leads up to the climax. It is usually composed of conflict of some sort that will ultimately lead to a climax in the story. List five examples where Grafton introduces conflict into the rising action to lead the story to a climax.
Essay Topic 3
Ann Fowler is presented as an antagonist in F is for Fugitive. Why did the author choose to keep this hidden from the reader until very near the end of the novel? Explain how the author presents Ann in a negative light, giving four examples. Choose one example that might give the reader a hint of Ann's role in the novel?
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)