|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Kinsey is talking to Bailey on the phone in her new motel room, what does he do?
2. What American State is the setting for F is For Fugitive?
3. When Kinsey asks the wife of the owner of the spa about Jean Timberlake, what is her response?
4. How is Shana Timberlake related to Jean?
5. Who was the principal at Jean Timberlake's old high school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the circumstances of Bailey Fowler's arrest in Los Angeles a few weeks before Kinsey is hired?
2. How do Ann Fowler and her mother get along? In Chapter 3, how do we know that Ori might be racist?
3. After Kinsey returns home from her first meeting with Royce Fowler, what does she do to find out more about Bailey Fowler and Jean Timberlake? What does she learn about Bailey?
4. When Kinsey goes to the Eucalyptus Mineral Springs Hotel spa for the first time, what does she observe there? Who owns the hotel?
5. Where does Kinsey live and what are her current living conditions?
6. After visiting Bailey in jail, Kinsey returns to the motel and has a glass of wine with his sister, Ann. What does Ann tell Kinsey about her parents' early life? What are Ann's views on Jean's death?
7. Where does the Fowler family live? List the three family members who live there and briefly describe each one.
8. What does the lawyer tell Kinsey about Bailey's first brush with the law, before Jean's death?
9. After her visit to the high school, Kinsey heads over to the San Luis Obispo jail to meet with Bailey Fowler. What is his mood and what does he say about Jean?
10. KInsey finally gets to talk to Shana about Jean. What does she find out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In reference to the plotting of F is for Fugitive,
(1) Why are the events of the novel arranged as they are?
(2) What moves the narrative along? Is it external action or internal conflicts? Or is it a combination of both? Support your answer with three examples.
Essay Topic 2
Define the components of the literary element of plot known as "exposition". What purpose does it serve in writing? Give four examples of Sue Grafton's use of exposition in F is for Fugitive that enhance the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Define the genre of mystery novel in fictional writing. List four elements that make up the typical mystery novel. Using examples, show how F is for Fugitive is typical of a mystery novel. Give two examples of how another novel in the same genre could differ from the structure or elements that Sue Grafton, the author, used.
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)