|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much time did Bailey serve for his first charge?
2. What does Oribelle (Ori) Fowler suffer from?
3. What does Kinsey wonder about Bailey's escape from the courthouse?
4. What is the result of Kinsey's anger with Royce?
5. What does Bailey's lawyer do while Kinsey talks to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What events happen in the courtroom soon after everyone is waiting for Bailey's case to be called?
2. After losing her phone connection with Bailey, who calls Kinsey? What is the result of this call?
3. After her visit to the high school, Kinsey heads over to the San Luis Obispo jail to meet with Bailey Fowler. What is his mood and what does he say about Jean?
4. Kinsey goes to the local bar and sits with the owner, Curtis Pearl, known as Pearl, who tells her something about the night of Jean's death. What does he tell her?
5. After Kinsey returns home from her first meeting with Royce Fowler, what does she do to find out more about Bailey Fowler and Jean Timberlake? What does she learn about Bailey?
6. Why is Royce Fowler particularly interested in proving his son's innocence with Kinsey's help?
7. Who hires Kinsey Millhone at the beginning of F is for Fugitive? What will Kinsey be paid to do?
8. What were the circumstances of Bailey Fowler's arrest in Los Angeles a few weeks before Kinsey is hired?
9. What does Kinsey find out from Ori when she has her first chance to talk to her?
10. Bailey calls Kinsey in her new motel room. What do they talk about? What happens at the end of the conversation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The protagonist of a story is not always portrayed in a positive light. In many novels, the protagonist makes a change or comes to a realization about some aspect of their life. Kinsey, although an adult, still grapples with personal issues that often make her question her life. The role of the protagonist is portrayed in F is for Fugitive in both a positive and negative light. Give at least three examples from the novel that characterize Kinsey in both these lights and analyze her behavior in the novel that show her as a protagonist that is not perfect.
Essay Topic 2
Define the genre of mystery novel in fictional writing. List four elements that make up the typical mystery novel. Using examples, show how F is for Fugitive is typical of a mystery novel. Give two examples of how another novel in the same genre could differ from the structure or elements that Sue Grafton, the author, used.
Essay Topic 3
Define what is meant by "style" in writing. Discuss what kind of style is used in traditional nonfiction, novels, and creative nonfiction. Which style was used in the writing of F is for Fugitive? Support your answer with four examples.
This section contains 1,139 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)