|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What piece of evidence concerning the death camp did Filip obtain for the Resistance?
2. While Filip was in the gas chamber, who did he look up to find surrounding him?
3. What did almost every prisoner in the Sonderkommando spend a great deal of time doing?
4. What weaponry had Filip's group acquired as of the beginning of Chapter 4?
5. What did the contents of the note that Voss received in Chapter 4 tell him to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the rumor that the Family Camp stood under the protection of the International Red Cross dispelled?
2. How did Filip and others come to realize that members of Birkenau's Sonderkommando who were taken to Lublin had been murdered?
3. Why did the members of the Sonderkommando feel the time had come to convince the other prisoners in the camp to attempt a mass escape in February, 1944?
4. How did Filip manage to speak to prisoners awaiting execution?
5. What put Filip's mind to rest concerning Mietek being a Kapo at Birkenau?
6. When Filip was sent to Birkenau to deliver chlorinated lime, he spoke with two grammar school friends who were burning decomposing corpses. Why did the SS men come and separate them?
7. Why did the SS decide not to shoot the first load of people from the Family Camp who were in the changing room?
8. In what ways did the prisoners of the Family Camp change their emotional state once inside the changing room?
9. How is it that Quackernack came to be attacked by the woman with her high heel?
10. How did Voss decide to deal with the need to have the crematorium ready by 8 am the following morning for the Family Camp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the Jewish ghetto of Theresienstadt with the Family Camp at Birkenau. Which is a more habitable place in which to live?
Essay Topic 2
Based upon the deceits and cover-ups that the SS use in their daily interactions with inmates, is it all just a game being played by them? If so, do they enjoy it? Do any of the SS seem to care about the fate of the inmates? If so, which ones?
Essay Topic 3
Why has the author titled Chapter 3, "The New Death Factories"?
What is new or different about BIrkenau as compared to Auschwitz?
This section contains 1,176 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)