|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were the people in the Family Camp asked to write letters to family and friends days before their extermination?
2. How did patients who were brought to Birkenau from mental hospitals react to being told to undress before their execution?
3. What did the people who were machine-gunned and gassed in Chapter 3 pay a lot of money to the Gestapo for?
4. What happened to the Sonderkommando who told a woman in the crowd they were all to be exterminated?
5. What was an SS-Oberaufseherin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Voss decide to deal with the need to have the crematorium ready by 8 am the following morning for the Family Camp?
2. When Filip was sent to Birkenau to deliver chlorinated lime, he spoke with two grammar school friends who were burning decomposing corpses. Why did the SS men come and separate them?
3. What was "extermination through labor"?
4. Why were the prisoners of the Family Camp so confused as they stood in the crematorium facing certain death?
5. How was the rumor that the Family Camp stood under the protection of the International Red Cross dispelled?
6. Compare Filip's feelings during his work in the crematorium with his return to the prison camp.
7. What led the SS to believe that Kapo Kaminski was thoroughly competent to carry out his duties?
8. How did Filip and others come to realize that members of Birkenau's Sonderkommando who were taken to Lublin had been murdered?
9. A few radicals in the camp, wanting to strike off on their on in an escape plan, renewed their violent criticism towards the leaders of the Resistance. Why?
10. What compeled Filip to enter the gas chamber with the others?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the book, Muller states that Vacek is a "professional criminal". Considering the way in which he treats the prisoners (the truncheon beatings, "sport" and throwing the morning tea into a gulley), is Vacek more than just a "professional criminal"? How else can he be described, considering that he, too, is a prisoner at Auschwitz?
Essay Topic 2
The Family Camp prisoners are told more than once that their death is imminent; set for that night.
Part 1 - Why do those inmates end up not believing what they are told?
Part 2 - What methods have the Nazis used in order to gain the trust of the inmates of the Family Camp?
Part 3 - What makes the Nazis betray those inmates in the end?
Essay Topic 3
The prisoners in the Family Camp refuse to defend themselves when they twice learn that they will be gassed.
1) Why would these people not want to fight for their lives if they knew they were going to die anyway?
2) Explain the thinking amongst the people in the camp.
3) Include some history as to what brought them to this point.
This section contains 1,327 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)