|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the gold teeth pulled from the mouths of those gassed?
2. How did the Family Camp react to the news that they would be gassed?
3. What was an SS-Oberaufseherin?
4. Why were Filip and others made to stand among the crowd in Chapter 3 holding up letters of the alphabet?
5. How did the Sonderkommando's doctor's wife try to follow him as he was being deported?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Filip manage to speak to prisoners awaiting execution?
2. Why did the ghetto in Theresienstadt really exist?
3. What put Filip's mind to rest concerning Mietek being a Kapo at Birkenau?
4. What led the SS to believe that Kapo Kaminski was thoroughly competent to carry out his duties?
5. Why were the prisoners of the Family Camp so confused as they stood in the crematorium facing certain death?
6. How is it that Quackernack came to be attacked by the woman with her high heel?
7. Compare Filip's feelings during his work in the crematorium with his return to the prison camp.
8. How did Filip and others come to realize that members of Birkenau's Sonderkommando who were taken to Lublin had been murdered?
9. In what ways did the prisoners of the Family Camp change their emotional state once inside the changing room?
10. A few radicals in the camp, wanting to strike off on their on in an escape plan, renewed their violent criticism towards the leaders of the Resistance. Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The prisoners in the Family Camp refuse to defend themselves when they twice learn that they will be gassed.
1) Why would these people not want to fight for their lives if they knew they were going to die anyway?
2) Explain the thinking amongst the people in the camp.
3) Include some history as to what brought them to this point.
Essay Topic 2
The Germans do not want the prisoners to contract typhus, which is evident by their warnings and "delousing" sessions. Why, then, aren't prisoners given soap, towels or water on a regular basis for showering? Explain the discrepancy between the prisoners' living conditions and the German's need for them to avoid lice.
Essay Topic 3
Part 1 - What are the reactions to the lawyer from Sered complaining to Schlage?
Part 2 - Explain the reactions and possible feelings amongst the prisoners.
Part 3 - Delve into how Schlage reacts to the man.
Part 4 - Express Vacek's feelings when Schlage orders him to kill the man.
This section contains 1,218 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)