|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was "Canada" in the camp?
2. What did the so-called representative of the Foreign Ministry tell the crowd they could not leave without?
3. Who pretended to be a representative of the Foreign Ministry to a crowd of people about to be gassed to death?
4. Who did Filip notice in the front rank of the Sonderkommando group he was in at Birkenau?
5. What was a bum-boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What put Filip's mind to rest concerning Mietek being a Kapo at Birkenau?
2. How is it that Quackernack came to be attacked by the woman with her high heel?
3. What is ironic and sad about the scene during which there was a party for Gorges in the crematorium?
4. How did Voss decide to deal with the need to have the crematorium ready by 8 am the following morning for the Family Camp?
5. What did Filip watch a captured young mother with her child do when the SS men ordered them to undress in Chapter 3?
6. Why did the SS decide not to shoot the first load of people from the Family Camp who were in the changing room?
7. What led the SS to believe that Kapo Kaminski was thoroughly competent to carry out his duties?
8. What were the male prisoners' main motives for wanting to visit the women's camp?
9. What problems did the SS men who accepted bribes organized by prisoners have?
10. Compare Filip's feelings during his work in the crematorium with his return to the prison camp.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe at least two ironic moments in Chapter 2. Did irony add or take away from this story? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The SS men have a particular way of ensuring that prisoners set for extermination are not aware of what is about to happen to them.
How do the Germans achieve this ruse?
Why do the prisoners believe them?
Essay Topic 3
The Germans do not want the prisoners to contract typhus, which is evident by their warnings and "delousing" sessions. Why, then, aren't prisoners given soap, towels or water on a regular basis for showering? Explain the discrepancy between the prisoners' living conditions and the German's need for them to avoid lice.
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)