|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one of Vacek's commands to the lined-up prisoners in the yard of Block 11?
2. Who was SS-Untersturmfuhrer Max Grabner?
3. How many times had the prisoners already repeated Vacek's same command at the beginning of Chapter 1?
4. Why were the prisoners who were forced to participate in the preparations for the exterminations separated into two groups at first?
5. Why were the prisoners so concerned about lice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was known as Auschwitz justice as it concerned lice?
2. What were the newly arrived prisoners standing outside the crematorium told by the SS men in order to get them to undress calmly?
3. What were the Kapo's incentives to victimize some of the men at the morning exercise?
4. What plan did Filip's bunk mate have in order to quench their thirst?
5. Describe the midday lunch the men were given in Chapter 1.
6. What new procedure did Filip witness being tried out for the first time in Chapter 2?
7. Whose dead body did Filip realize he was taking cheese and matches from in the crematorium in Chapter 2?
8. How did Filip's health deteriorate at the time he was given the job of stripping dead bodies of their clothes?
9. Why did the lawyer standing next to Muller begin to complain?
10. When Filip and the others were ordered to search and separate the victim's clothing in Chapter 2, how were the items sorted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The prisoners in the Family Camp refuse to defend themselves when they twice learn that they will be gassed.
1) Why would these people not want to fight for their lives if they knew they were going to die anyway?
2) Explain the thinking amongst the people in the camp.
3) Include some history as to what brought them to this point.
Essay Topic 2
The men in Fischl's group are isolated from the rest of the camp.
1) Explain the Germans' reasoning for this.
2) Describe Filip's realization of this reason.
Essay Topic 3
Part 1 - What are the reactions to the lawyer from Sered complaining to Schlage?
Part 2 - Explain the reactions and possible feelings amongst the prisoners.
Part 3 - Delve into how Schlage reacts to the man.
Part 4 - Express Vacek's feelings when Schlage orders him to kill the man.
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)