|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Vacek force the prisoners to do that he had pulled out of the ranks?
2. What was the job of a block orderly?
3. What was the quarrel between Mietek and Fischl over?
4. Who was SS-Untersturmfuhrer Max Grabner?
5. What was a Kapo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were Filip and the others terrified as Aumeier and Grabner went from cell to cell in Block 11?
2. What did the lawyer in Chapter 1 do that cost him his life?
3. What plan did Filip's bunk mate have in order to quench their thirst?
4. What new procedure did Filip witness being tried out for the first time in Chapter 2?
5. Describe the cell that Filip and the others were taken to after they had put the corpses into the pit.
6. What were Filip's thoughts after he and Maurice were caught drinking tea and awaited punishment?
7. What caught Filip's attention as he gulped down the tea from the vat with Maurice?
8. What dream did Filip have the night he and the others finished the burial of the corpses in the pit?
9. Whose dead body did Filip realize he was taking cheese and matches from in the crematorium in Chapter 2?
10. What did Vacek do when the men got in line behind the wooden tea vats?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the Jewish ghetto of Theresienstadt with the Family Camp at Birkenau. Which is a more habitable place in which to live?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think Filip Muller's reasons are for writing this book? How might his reasons for writing the book relate to his suicide attempt in the gas chamber? Do you believe those reasons to be valid? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
During the morning drill of "Caps on! Caps off!", Vacek has the men repeat the drill dozens of times. What is the meaning behind this seemingly senseless drill for Vacek? Explain why Vacek has the men continually repeat the drill.
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)