|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did the SS men believe to be responsible for the fire in the crematorium's chimney?
2. What did a Block Senior receive as a reward for making prisoners keep the block clean?
3. What did Filip do to quench his thirst on Sunday afternoon?
4. Why were the prisoners who were forced to participate in the preparations for the exterminations separated into two groups at first?
5. What was an Unterscharfuhrer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What caught Filip's attention as he gulped down the tea from the vat with Maurice?
2. Whose dead body did Filip realize he was taking cheese and matches from in the crematorium in Chapter 2?
3. When Filip and the others were ordered to search and separate the victim's clothing in Chapter 2, how were the items sorted?
4. What dream did Filip have the night he and the others finished the burial of the corpses in the pit?
5. Describe the cell that Filip and the others were taken to after they had put the corpses into the pit.
6. What plan did Filip's bunk mate have in order to quench their thirst?
7. What were the newly arrived prisoners standing outside the crematorium told by the SS men in order to get them to undress calmly?
8. Why were Filip and the others terrified as Aumeier and Grabner went from cell to cell in Block 11?
9. Why did the lawyer standing next to Muller begin to complain?
10. What were the Kapo's incentives to victimize some of the men at the morning exercise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Germans do not want the prisoners to contract typhus, which is evident by their warnings and "delousing" sessions. Why, then, aren't prisoners given soap, towels or water on a regular basis for showering? Explain the discrepancy between the prisoners' living conditions and the German's need for them to avoid lice.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the people who survived those years in the concentration camps as explained in the book.
Part 1 - Why did some survive while others perished?
Part 2 - What did the survivors have that some did not?
Part 3 - Did luck play a role in surviving Auschwitz?
Essay Topic 3
During the morning drill of "Caps on! Caps off!", Vacek has the men repeat the drill dozens of times. What is the meaning behind this seemingly senseless drill for Vacek? Explain why Vacek has the men continually repeat the drill.
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)