|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was one of Vacek's commands to the lined-up prisoners in the yard of Block 11?
(b) "Caps off!"
(c) "Forward march!"
(d) "Silence now!"
2. What did Filip and the others throw on top of the mountain of bodies in the pit?
(a) The clothes of the dead.
(c) Chlorinated lime.
(d) Dirty snow.
3. What were Filip and the others ordered to do with the clothing left behind by those just murdered in the crematorium?
(a) Place them on the dead bodies.
(b) Burn them.
(c) Sort them into separate piles.
(d) Give them to the next crowd coming out.
4. What was eventually done with the two groups witnessing and helping with the gassing of prisoners in Chapter 2?
(a) They were put together as a crematorium working party.
(b) They were caught joking about the process.
(c) They were killed and replaced.
(d) They were further separated into three groups.
5. Who was Fischl?
(a) The guard in charge of the crematorium.
(b) The inmate who cleaned the oven grates.
(c) The inmate who refused to remove a corpse's gold teeth.
(d) One of the SS soldiers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the rank of a Rottenfuhrer?
2. Why were the prisoners who were forced to participate in the preparations for the exterminations separated into two groups at first?
3. What was the view for the prisoners when they were moved from the dungeon to Cell 13?
4. How long did it take a prisoner's body to burn in the oven?
5. What was the job of the block clerk?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the cell that Filip and the others were taken to after they had put the corpses into the pit.
2. When Filip and the others were ordered to search and separate the victim's clothing in Chapter 2, how were the items sorted?
3. What caught Filip's attention as he gulped down the tea from the vat with Maurice?
4. What were Filip's thoughts after he and Maurice were caught drinking tea and awaited punishment?
5. How did Filip's health deteriorate at the time he was given the job of stripping dead bodies of their clothes?
6. What dream did Filip have the night he and the others finished the burial of the corpses in the pit?
7. Describe the midday lunch the men were given in Chapter 1.
8. What were the Kapo's incentives to victimize some of the men at the morning exercise?
9. What did the lawyer in Chapter 1 do that cost him his life?
10. Explain the orders Vacek gave to the prisoners in the yard of Block 11.
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)