|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Filip and the others throw on top of the mountain of bodies in the pit?
(a) Dirty snow.
(b) Chlorinated lime.
(d) The clothes of the dead.
2. What did Filip do in order to get his father put on the bricklayers' team?
(a) Bribed the Kapo.
(b) Pleaded with Mietek.
(c) Spoke to Obersturmfuhrer Weber.
(d) Smuggled him in.
3. How long did it take a prisoner's body to burn in the oven?
(a) Five minutes.
(b) One day.
(c) Four hours.
(d) Twenty minutes.
4. What did Filip do to quench his thirst on Sunday afternoon?
(a) Steal another prisoner's water.
(b) Drink the extra bowl of soup he managed to get.
(c) Sneak outside with his bunkmate.
(d) Drink from puddles on the ground.
5. What did Vacek do to the prisoner who was mumbling next to Muller?
(a) Reported him to Schlage.
(b) Beat him to death.
(c) Ordered him to the gas chamber.
(d) Shot him at point blank range.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one of Vacek's commands to the lined-up prisoners in the yard of Block 11?
2. What was the inscription on the camp gate?
3. What was the quarrel between Mietek and Fischl over?
4. What did the author overhear the prisoner next to him saying in Chapter 1?
5. How many times had the prisoners already repeated Vacek's same command at the beginning of Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was known as Auschwitz justice as it concerned lice?
2. What plan did Filip's bunk mate have in order to quench their thirst?
3. Besides the gas chamber, what other means of mass murder were used at Auschwitz?
4. What caught Filip's attention as he gulped down the tea from the vat with Maurice?
5. What did the lawyer in Chapter 1 do that cost him his life?
6. What were Filip's thoughts after he and Maurice were caught drinking tea and awaited punishment?
7. Why did the lawyer standing next to Muller begin to complain?
8. Describe the cell that Filip and the others were taken to after they had put the corpses into the pit.
9. When Filip became a crematorium worker, what did he realize was his only chance of staying alive?
10. How did Filip's health deteriorate at the time he was given the job of stripping dead bodies of their clothes?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)