|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Filip imagine might be done to him if they tied his hands behind his back?
(a) He would be left in a hole to die.
(b) He would have to perform his work like that.
(c) He would then be suspended by his fastened hands.
(d) They would then cut his hands off.
2. Why did Filip assume that a car with its headlamps on was driving behind the truck with the prisoners and the corpses?
(a) To help them at their destination.
(b) To help light the way for the truck.
(c) To make sure the weary prisoners did not escape in the night.
(d) To be assured that no corpses fell out of the truck.
3. What was the job of the block clerk?
(a) To keep track of the spending of money.
(b) To block prisoner's movements around the camp.
(c) To record data and movements of prisoners.
(d) To count all of the gold teeth coming into the camp.
4. Before the SS men poured the deadly gas crystals into the gas chamber, what did they do?
(a) Told the people inside to lie down.
(b) Put on gas masks.
(c) Turned on the truck engines.
(d) Turned the hot water on for the showers.
5. What was the name for a prisoner entrusted with special duties by the SS?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did prisoners have to do their weekly shaving?
2. When hundred of prisoners were beaten and ordered to undress in the yard, what did Fischl do?
3. What was Vacek's first victim's handicap?
4. What did Filip do in order to get his father put on the bricklayers' team?
5. What were the people in the crematorium killed with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What plan did Filip's bunk mate have in order to quench their thirst?
2. Why were Filip and the others terrified as Aumeier and Grabner went from cell to cell in Block 11?
3. What did the lawyer in Chapter 1 do that cost him his life?
4. Besides the gas chamber, what other means of mass murder were used at Auschwitz?
5. Describe the cell that Filip and the others were taken to after they had put the corpses into the pit.
6. What did Vacek do when the men got in line behind the wooden tea vats?
7. Describe the midday lunch the men were given in Chapter 1.
8. What was "sport" at Auschwitz?
9. Whose dead body did Filip realize he was taking cheese and matches from in the crematorium in Chapter 2?
10. What were Filip's thoughts after he and Maurice were caught drinking tea and awaited punishment?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)