|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the people in the crematorium killed with?
(a) Machine guns.
(b) Poison gas.
(c) Lethal injections.
(d) Electric shocks.
2. When hundred of prisoners were beaten and ordered to undress in the yard, what did Fischl do?
(c) Cried loudly.
3. What was one of Vacek's commands to the lined-up prisoners in the yard of Block 11?
(a) "Forward march!"
(b) "Silence now!"
(d) "Caps off!"
4. What did Vacek order to be done with the tea that the prisoners were to drink?
(a) It would be sent back to be used the next day.
(b) Have it thrown into the men's faces.
(c) Have it thrown into the gully-drain.
(d) It was to be used for the evening's bath.
5. What was eventually done with the two groups witnessing and helping with the gassing of prisoners in Chapter 2?
(a) They were further separated into three groups.
(b) They were put together as a crematorium working party.
(c) They were caught joking about the process.
(d) They were killed and replaced.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the word "organize" mean in the camp's slang?
2. Who was Vacek's second victim to be pulled out of the ranks?
3. What did Filip do to quench his thirst on Sunday afternoon?
4. What was the quarrel between Mietek and Fischl over?
5. Why did Filip assume that a car with its headlamps on was driving behind the truck with the prisoners and the corpses?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Filip stood against the wall of the crematorium and contemplated the fate of the hundreds of new prisoners being brought through the gates, what did he ask himself?
2. Describe the midday lunch the men were given in Chapter 1.
3. What did the lawyer in Chapter 1 do that cost him his life?
4. What was known as Auschwitz justice as it concerned lice?
5. What caught Filip's attention as he gulped down the tea from the vat with Maurice?
6. What were the Kapo's incentives to victimize some of the men at the morning exercise?
7. Besides the gas chamber, what other means of mass murder were used at Auschwitz?
8. What was "sport" at Auschwitz?
9. What dream did Filip have the night he and the others finished the burial of the corpses in the pit?
10. Why did the lawyer standing next to Muller begin to complain?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)