|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were the SS men so concerned when they saw the bodies in the pit in the daylight?
(a) The bodies were extremely slippery.
(b) The water in the pit was rising and the bodies were not buried.
(c) The bodies were swollen and hard to look at.
(d) They didn't think Filip and the others were stong enough to bury the dead.
2. Where did Stark bring Maurice and Filip after they were caught stealing tea?
(a) The gulley to drink.
(b) The crematorium.
(c) The bunks.
(d) To see Schlage.
3. What was eventually done with the two groups witnessing and helping with the gassing of prisoners in Chapter 2?
(a) They were caught joking about the process.
(b) They were put together as a crematorium working party.
(c) They were killed and replaced.
(d) They were further separated into three groups.
4. What was the job of a block orderly?
(a) Keeping prisoners from fighting.
(b) Running messages back and forth.
(c) Relaying news to prisoners.
(d) Keeping the block clean and tidy.
5. Who was Fischl?
(a) The guard in charge of the crematorium.
(b) One of the SS soldiers.
(c) The inmate who cleaned the oven grates.
(d) The inmate who refused to remove a corpse's gold teeth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the man muttering to himself in the ranks next to Muller?
2. What happened to the women in Block 10 at Auschwitz?
3. What was the inscription on the camp gate?
4. What happened to Filip and the others as they were driven past the town of Auschwitz with the corpses?
5. What did Filip imagine might be done to him if they tied his hands behind his back?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was "sport" at Auschwitz?
2. Why did the lawyer standing next to Muller begin to complain?
3. What plan did Filip's bunk mate have in order to quench their thirst?
4. What did the lawyer in Chapter 1 do that cost him his life?
5. What dream did Filip have the night he and the others finished the burial of the corpses in the pit?
6. What did Vacek do when the men got in line behind the wooden tea vats?
7. When Filip became a crematorium worker, what did he realize was his only chance of staying alive?
8. Whose dead body did Filip realize he was taking cheese and matches from in the crematorium in Chapter 2?
9. Besides the gas chamber, what other means of mass murder were used at Auschwitz?
10. What did Filip wonder about Stark as he thought of the man's actions at the camp?
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)