|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were the prisoners of the Sonderkommando at first kept away from the last group of prisoners to be killed in Chapter 3?
(a) There were not enough people to warrant their involvement.
(b) The sight was too gruesome.
(c) So they would not have a chance to speak with them.
(d) To ensure the safety of the prisoners.
2. When the Nazis invaded Bohemia and Moravia in 1939, where were the Jews first removed from?
(b) The Civil Service.
(c) Swimming baths.
(d) Their homes.
3. What did the people who were machine-gunned and gassed in Chapter 3 pay a lot of money to the Gestapo for?
(a) Immigration to Paraguay.
(b) Imprisonment instead of death.
(c) An escape to Switzerland.
(d) A comfortable train ride to Auschwitz.
4. Why did the Sonderkommandos have their own hospital?
(a) They tended to get sicker than the rest.
(b) They were the elite prisoners.
(c) To show the men some kindness.
(d) To treat the men in isolation.
5. Who did the inmates of Birkenau think the Family Camp was under the protection of?
(a) The International Red Cross.
(b) The Polish government.
(c) The League of Nations.
(d) The media.
6. How did patients who were brought to Birkenau from mental hospitals react to being told to undress before their execution?
(a) With screams.
(b) They resisted fiercely.
(c) In different ways.
(d) With laughter.
7. While Filip waited in the gas chamber, who did he learn had committed suicide?
(a) Fredi Hirsch.
(c) Daniel Ostbaum.
8. Who told Filip "..it is vital that you should see everything, experience everything, go through everything and consciously record everything in your mind"?
9. Where did the SS man who was posing as someone from the Foreign Ministry tell the people they were going?
(b) Back to Germany.
10. What did the girl, Yana, tell Filip to give to her boyfriend after she was dead?
(a) Her gold chain.
(b) A ring.
(c) Her hair.
(d) A hug goodbye.
11. Filip had one regret as he stood in the gas chamber, ready to die. What was it?
(a) He did not write a will.
(b) He did not help one person to get out alive.
(c) He forgot to say goodbye to the others.
(d) He did not have the hand grenades.
12. What did the girls in the gas chamber do to Filip?
(a) Hugged him tightly.
(b) Thanked him for being there.
(c) Asked for his help.
(d) Pushed him out the door.
13. Where did the majority of the people in the Family Camp come from?
14. Why was Roehrig, a block senior, transferred to a penal company?
(a) He stole a gold chain.
(b) He would not have his head shaved.
(c) He refused to use a truncheon on prisoners.
(d) He tried to help some Family Camp members escape.
15. What happened to Daniel Obstbaum?
(a) He escaped with Fero Langer.
(b) He bribed Dobrowolny, an old schoolmate.
(c) He was shot trying to escape.
(d) He was given a week's special leave.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did one of Filip's team find a hand grenade?
2. As Filip considered what his life would be like if he survived the war, he thought of running into the FS men. Who were they?
3. What did the contents of the note that Voss received in Chapter 4 tell him to do?
4. How many Red Army prisoners of war were left alive by January, 1945, out of the 13,000 taken?
5. What was a Volksdeutscher?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)