|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the doctor in charge of the Sonderkommando hospital in Birkenau?
(a) Dr. Serge.
(b) Dr. Jacques Pach.
(c) Dr. Jean Langer.
(d) Dr. Daniel Obstbaum.
2. What did the girl, Yana, tell Filip to give to her boyfriend after she was dead?
(a) Her gold chain.
(b) A hug goodbye.
(c) Her hair.
(d) A ring.
3. When half of the crowd at the end of Chapter 3 were behind the door of the crematorium, what was the other half, still dressed, doing?
(a) Protesting to the SS.
(b) Whispering to each other about an escape plan.
(d) Praying aloud the same prayers.
4. What was Auschwitz fashion?
(a) Wearing striped suits.
(b) A coat with pockets for "organizing".
(c) Having a shaved head to avoid lice.
(d) Imitating the SS through dress.
5. What did almost every prisoner in the Sonderkommando spend a great deal of time doing?
(a) Beating others.
6. What did the so-called representative of the Foreign Ministry tell the crowd they could not leave without?
(a) A haircut.
(b) A letter of introduction.
(c) Their clean clothing.
(d) A certificate of disinfection.
7. What did the contents of the note that Voss received in Chapter 4 tell him to do?
(a) Deconstruct the Family Camp the following week.
(b) Gas the inmates of the Family Camp.
(c) Release the inmates of the Family Camp.
(d) Make room for the arrival of another Family.
8. Who did the inmates of Birkenau think the Family Camp was under the protection of?
(a) The League of Nations.
(b) The media.
(c) The International Red Cross.
(d) The Polish government.
9. While Filip waited in the gas chamber, who did he learn had committed suicide?
(a) Daniel Ostbaum.
(c) Fredi Hirsch.
10. What happened to the people who attempted to escape the Polish ghettos?
(a) Many of them made it to freedom.
(b) They were murdered in their hiding places.
(c) They were caught by police dogs and executed.
(d) They were often forgetten and starved to death.
11. What did a female prisoner who was slowly stripping off her clothes do?
(a) Punched Quackernack in the groin.
(b) Foamed at her mouth in madness.
(c) Slammed her high heel into Quackernack's forehead.
(d) Ripped her skin with her fingernails.
12. How did Filip know Alfred Wetzler?
(a) From school.
(b) From the crematorium.
(c) From the Jewish ghetto.
(d) From Auschwitz.
13. How many Red Army prisoners of war were left alive by January, 1945, out of the 13,000 taken?
14. When the Nazis invaded Bohemia and Moravia in 1939, where were the Jews first removed from?
(a) The Civil Service.
(b) Swimming baths.
(d) Their homes.
15. What was a Volksdeutscher?
(a) An ethnic German.
(b) A believer in the German tradition.
(c) A follower of Hitler.
(d) A person born and bred in Germany.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Filip notice in the front rank of the Sonderkommando group he was in at Birkenau?
2. Where did the majority of the people in the Family Camp come from?
3. What did the SS threaten the prisoners of the Family Camp with after a few of them rushed toward the doors and were killed?
4. After a while, how did Filip and other Sonderkommandos regard anybody arriving at the crematorium?
5. Who took over the executions when a young mother threw her murdered child at Voss?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)