|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote Oskar's favorite book?
2. What does Grandma regularly ask Thomas Schell to pick up at the airport for her?
3. In Googolplex, what does Oskar invent to go under his pillow?
4. Where in New York is the narrator of Why I'm Not Where You Are when he meets his future wife?
5. What happens in Heavy Boots-Heavier Boots that starts A.R. Black's crying?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Oskar Schell fare in his first jujitsu class?
2. What is Oskar's attitude toward Jimmy?
3. How does Grandma convince Thomas to marry her in My Feelings?
4. What do Grandma and Anna do the night before the bombing of Dresden?
5. How does Grandma find Oskar in My Feelings?
6. How does Grandma write her memoirs in Why I'm Not Where You Are?
7. What happens in the airport in My Feelings?
8. Describe Oscar's interplay with Gerald Thompson in What The?
9. What is the purpose of the drain system Oskar imagines in Googolplex?
10. Describe the phone call between Mom and Grandma in My Feelings.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In many ways, a deceased parent will always seem more attractive to the a child sees and argues with every day. Write an essay comparing Thomas Schell, Jr., and Mom, based on Oskar's attitudes toward them. How does Oskar's impression of Mom suffer as a result of Thomas's death? What resentment does he develop towards her, and how does it manifest itself? Conversely, how does Oskar remember Thomas? Do you think that his image of his father has grown unfairly perfect in memory?
Essay Topic 2
The plot of Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is riddled with absent fathers. Write an essay about the prevalence of absent father figures, focusing on the primary father-son relationship in each othe two primary story-lines. What is the reason for each father's absence? How does each father communicate with his estranged son on a daily basis without actually doing so? In summation, discuss what happens when the estranged father figure of one narrative meets the orphaned son of the other. How do they interact?
Essay Topic 3
The structure of the novel Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is unusual from the beginning, with the mixing of different narrators and syntax styles, but Jonathan Safran Foer further muddies the narrative waters by having the narrative regularly interrupted by pages that contain something other than plot. Write an essay about these pages, discussing what their connection to the narrative is. Who, presumably, has inserted them into the novel and why? How does their inclusion affect the way the novel is perceived as an object? What does it become?
Part 1) Photos
Part 2) Pages with a single phrase on them.
Part 3) Blank pages.
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)