|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Grandma, you cannot protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself from what?
2. What is tattooed on Thomas's right palm when Grandma sees him in Manhattan in My Feelings?
3. What famous person writes Oskar Schell in Googolplex?
4. What words does Oskar Schell tell Abby Black define her in The Only Animal?
5. What does Oskar keep under his bed and listen to at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Oscar's interplay with Gerald Thompson in What The?
2. Describe Thomas's decision to leave Grandma in Why I'm Not Where You Are.
3. How does Grandma write her memoirs in Why I'm Not Where You Are?
4. How does Grandma find Oskar in My Feelings?
5. What does Oskar do with the key in this chapter?
6. Describe the phone call between Mom and Grandma in My Feelings.
7. What surprise awaits Grandma the day of her son's funeral?
8. Describe Thomas Schell's first meeting with his future wife?
9. Why does Grandma insist on playing a Marco Polo-type game with Oskar?
10. What do Grandma and Anna do the night before the bombing of Dresden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay discussing the notion that Oscar Schell is a child and a man simultaneously. How does his interaction with family, classmates and strangers reflect a style of speech and intellectual curiosity beyond his years? To whom does he write letters and why? In the second part of the essay, discuss how Oskar psychologically has been forced to mature in his fears, anxieties, and needs before his time. Why has he been left at a mid-point between childhood and adulthood?
Essay Topic 2
In many ways, a deceased parent will always seem more attractive to the a child sees and argues with every day. Write an essay comparing Thomas Schell, Jr., and Mom, based on Oskar's attitudes toward them. How does Oskar's impression of Mom suffer as a result of Thomas's death? What resentment does he develop towards her, and how does it manifest itself? Conversely, how does Oskar remember Thomas? Do you think that his image of his father has grown unfairly perfect in memory?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the relationship between Grandma and her sister Anna. Focus primarily on the period immediately before the bombing of Dresden. How is one girl experiencing sexuality at the same time as another is experiencing an innocent curiosity about sexually? How are they both bound to Thomas Schell, Sr. before the bombing happens? To what extent is Anna's death instrumental in bringing Grandma and Thomas together in America?
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)