|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Oskar nervous about meeting Ruth Black?
(a) She lives way out in Staten Island.
(b) He hasn't gone alone to an apartment in some time.
(c) She lives atop a skyscraper.
(d) He worries he does not look his best.
2. In Why I'm Not Where You Are, what news can Thomas not bring himself to tell Grandma about her father?
(a) He commited suicide.
(b) He was killed in the bombing.
(c) He left his wife to die in the flames.
(d) He was collaborating with the Nazis.
3. Why does Oskar want to know how his father died?
(a) So he can stop inventing ways.
(b) So he will know what to tell people.
(c) So that they can put it on the death certificate.
(d) So he can stop having nightmares.
4. According to Grandma in Why I'm Not Where You Are, why did Thomas, Jr. take over the jewelry store?
(a) He wanted to be like his father.
(b) He wanted to get into the diamond business.
(c) He wanted to make money.
(d) He had no other talents.
5. What event does interviewee at the beginning of Happiness, Happiness describe?
(a) The liberation of Dachau.
(b) The bombing of Hiroshima.
(c) The execution of Mussolini.
(d) The firebombing of Dresden.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Thomas burn the skin off his hands in Why I'm Not Where You Are?
2. Which of the following questions is not one that Oskar asks himself as he imagines a 9/11 type scenario in Alive and Alone?
3. How did Agnes Black Die on September 11, 2001?
4. Which best describes the location of the Sixth Borough?
5. Where is Thomas Schell as he writes in Why I'm Not Where You Are?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the trip to Agnes Black's apartment stir Oskar's curiosity in Happiness, Happiness?
2. How does Thomas, Sr. discover he has a son in Why I'm Not where You Are?
3. Describe Thomas's experience during the bombing of Dresden.
4. What does Stephen Hawking say to Oskar in A Simple Solution to an Impossible Problem?
5. What can Thomas not bring himself to tell Grandma at the end of Why I'm Not Where You Are?
6. How does Oskar overcome a phobia in Alive and Alone?
7. What does Dad relate about optimism to Oskar in the The Sixth Borough?
8. What is revealed by the long jump at the beginning of The Sixth Borough?
9. What decision does Oskar make at the end of Alive and Alone?
10. What major item movement happens between the sixth borough and and Manhattan as it drifts off?
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)