|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What stylistically is noticeable about this chapter, Why I'm Not Where You Are?
(a) It is written phoenetically.
(b) The pages are printed upside down.
(c) Spelling and grammar errors are cirled in red.
(d) The font changes to Courier New.
2. What type of lock does the key go with?
(a) An old automobile.
(b) A large chest.
(c) A door.
(d) A safety deposit box.
3. In Why I'm Not Where You Are, what news can Thomas not bring himself to tell Grandma about her father?
(a) He left his wife to die in the flames.
(b) He was collaborating with the Nazis.
(c) He was killed in the bombing.
(d) He commited suicide.
4. Why does Oskar agree to see Dr. Fein in Happiness, Happiness?
(a) His allowance depends on it.
(b) Grandma says she likes Dr. Fein.
(c) He wants abreak from the quest.
(d) His mother begs him.
5. What label does Oskar apply to himself during The Sixth Borough?
6. How many survivors, including Thomas, are recovered by soldiers after the bombing in Why I'm Not Where You Are?
7. What does Grandma refuse to share with Thomas in Why I'm Not Where You Are?
(a) Her money.
(c) Her anger.
(d) Her body.
8. How does Abby Black know William Black?
(a) He is her grandfather.
(b) He is her nephew.
(c) He is her ex-husband.
(d) He is her brother.
9. Why can Oskar not speak to A.R. Black at the beginning of A Simple Solution to an Impossible Problem?
(a) He has moved out.
(b) He has died.
(c) He has taken of his hearing aids permanently.
(d) He refuses to talk to Oskar.
10. In his letter in A Simple Solution to an Impossible Problem, what does Stephen Hawking admit wishing that he could be?
(a) An athlete.
(b) A waiter.
(c) An actor.
(d) A poet.
11. How does Thomas Schell, Sr., describe his son's voice on the September 11th messages?
12. What continent, according to Thomas Schell, Jr. is now the home of the Sixth Borough?
(c) South America.
13. What is the only reason Grandma comes into Thomas's guest room the first two months that he is there?
(a) To clean.
(b) To yell at him.
(c) To make love.
(d) To collect rent.
14. How does Thomas burn the skin off his hands in Why I'm Not Where You Are?
(a) He falls into a pubble of burning fuel.
(b) He grabs hold of a smothering corpse.
(c) He touches a hot doorknob.
(d) He runs through a curtain of fire.
15. What does Oskar suspect Feliz is lying about Agnes Black in Happiness, Happiness?
(a) She did not know his father.
(b) She has no children.
(c) She is dead.
(d) They lived in the same building.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oskar decide to do in the final moment of Alive and Alone?
2. According to Grandma in Why I'm Not Where You Are, why did Thomas, Jr. take over the jewelry store?
3. In Why I'm Not Where You Are, where does Thomas say he wants to live with Anna?
4. How does Oskar respond to A.R. Black's announcement that he is quitting the search?
5. What is Thomas's response to Grandma's comment in Why I'm Not Where You Are that many babies will not be born because of 9/11?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)