|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is a famous landmark moved from the Sixth Borough to Manhattan?
(a) It is dragged by large hooks.
(b) It is driven by a thousand pickup trucks.
(c) It is carried across the six Staten Island Ferries.
(d) It is lifted by helicoptors.
2. In his fourth message, what does Dad say the people in his tower are doing?
(a) They are holding each other.
(b) They are going to the roof.
(c) They are jumping from the building.
(d) They are bashing out windows.
3. What famous Manhattan landmark used to be in the Sixth Borough?
(a) The Empire State Building.
(b) Washington Square.
(c) Carnegie Hall.
(d) Central Park.
4. What is Thomas Schell order to do at the zoo in Why I'm Not Where You Are?
(a) Kill carnivorous animal.
(b) Burn official papers.
(c) Prepare fatted animals as food.
(d) Protect a school group.
5. What does Albert Black do for a living?
(b) Events planner.
6. How does Oskar respond to A.R. Black's announcement that he is quitting the search?
(a) He hugs him.
(b) He shouts a curse word at him.
(c) He shakes his hand.
(d) He cries.
7. What does Oskar decide to do in the final moment of Alive and Alone?
(a) Live with Grandma and the renter.
(b) Throw away the key.
(c) Leave the country.
(d) Dig up Dad's coffin.
8. In Why I'm Not Where Your Are, how does Thomas Schell get from the airport to Grandma's building?
(a) He takes a taxi.
(b) He takes a shuttle bus.
(c) He walks.
(d) He rents a car.
9. Which of the following is not evidence cited by Thomas Schell, Jr. of these existence of the Sixth Borough?
(a) The pH levels of the reservoir,
(b) Two names carved on a tree.
(c) A placard found on the bottom of the Hudson.
(d) Holes in the Central Park Zoo.
10. Where is Thomas Schell as he writes in Why I'm Not Where You Are?
(c) The Bronx.
11. In Why I'm Not Where You Are, Thomas admits to Grandma that during their absence he had sex with whom?
(b) Married women.
(c) No one.
12. Which of the following questions is not one that Oskar asks himself as he imagines a 9/11 type scenario in Alive and Alone?
(a) Would he jump or burn to death?
(b) Who would he call?
(c) What would he say to the last person he called?
(d) Will he see it coming?
13. Which of the Blacks that Oskar visited informed his mom of the search?
14. Why is Oskar particularly compelled by the renter when they meet in Alive and Alone?
(a) He is incredibly old.
(b) He gives Oskar five dollars.
(c) He speaks German.
(d) He resembles his father.
15. What event does interviewee at the beginning of Happiness, Happiness describe?
(a) The liberation of Dachau.
(b) The firebombing of Dresden.
(c) The bombing of Hiroshima.
(d) The execution of Mussolini.
Short Answer Questions
1. In The Sixth Borough, what had the engineers brought in to deal with the island previously worked on?
2. How long does A.R. help in the search before giving up in Alive and Alone?
3. In his letter in A Simple Solution to an Impossible Problem, what does Stephen Hawking admit wishing that he could be?
4. How long does Thomas later learn the first bombing of Dresden lasted?
5. What type of lock does the key go with?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)