|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is a borough of New York that Oskar determines he has never visited at the beginning of The Sixth Borough?
(b) The Bronx.
2. How does Thomas burn the skin off his hands in Why I'm Not Where You Are?
(a) He falls into a pubble of burning fuel.
(b) He touches a hot doorknob.
(c) He runs through a curtain of fire.
(d) He grabs hold of a smothering corpse.
3. Why is Oskar particularly compelled by the renter when they meet in Alive and Alone?
(a) He is incredibly old.
(b) He gives Oskar five dollars.
(c) He speaks German.
(d) He resembles his father.
4. Which of the Blacks that Oskar visited informed his mom of the search?
5. In Why I'm Not Where Your Are, how does Thomas Schell get from the airport to Grandma's building?
(a) He takes a shuttle bus.
(b) He rents a car.
(c) He walks.
(d) He takes a taxi.
6. What event does interviewee at the beginning of Happiness, Happiness describe?
(a) The liberation of Dachau.
(b) The firebombing of Dresden.
(c) The execution of Mussolini.
(d) The bombing of Hiroshima.
7. What is the only object Thomas retrieves in the rubble of Dresden?
(a) His typewriter.
(b) His rifle.
(c) His favorit tie.
(d) His copy of Ovid's Metamorphosis.
8. What is the only reason Grandma comes into Thomas's guest room the first two months that he is there?
(a) To clean.
(b) To make love.
(c) To collect rent.
(d) To yell at him.
9. How fast is the Sixth Borough drifting away from New York in the story?
(a) 1 foot a year.
(b) 1 meter a year.
(c) Half a mile a year.
(d) 1 millimeter a year.
10. What gift was Thomas given by Anna days before the bombings?
(a) A journal.
(b) A fedora.
(c) A kitten.
(d) A typewriter.
11. Why can Oskar not speak to A.R. Black at the beginning of A Simple Solution to an Impossible Problem?
(a) He refuses to talk to Oskar.
(b) He has taken of his hearing aids permanently.
(c) He has died.
(d) He has moved out.
12. Which of the following questions is not one that Oskar asks himself as he imagines a 9/11 type scenario in Alive and Alone?
(a) Would he jump or burn to death?
(b) Who would he call?
(c) Will he see it coming?
(d) What would he say to the last person he called?
13. What type of lock does the key go with?
(a) An old automobile.
(b) A safety deposit box.
(c) A large chest.
(d) A door.
14. How does Abby Black know William Black?
(a) He is her grandfather.
(b) He is her brother.
(c) He is her ex-husband.
(d) He is her nephew.
15. What does Oskar think is "grody" about the story of The Sixth Borough?
(a) The idea of a boy pulling off a girl's skirt.
(b) The idea of two boys kissing each other.
(c) The idea of a dog farting.
(d) The idea of a person swimming in the Hudson.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Why I'm Not Where You Are, what news can Thomas not bring himself to tell Grandma about her father?
2. Which best describes the location of the Sixth Borough?
3. Where is Thomas Schell as he writes in Why I'm Not Where You Are?
4. In Happiness, Happiness, what child actor does Jimmy make sexually explicit comments about?
5. How is a famous landmark moved from the Sixth Borough to Manhattan?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)