|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What label does Oskar apply to himself during The Sixth Borough?
2. Why is Oskar particularly compelled by the renter when they meet in Alive and Alone?
(a) He is incredibly old.
(b) He speaks German.
(c) He resembles his father.
(d) He gives Oskar five dollars.
3. Why does A.R. Black have to speak to the woman at Agnes Black's building for Oskar?
(a) She doesn't talk to children.
(b) She thinks A.R. is cute.
(c) She doen't want to bend down to listen.
(d) She speaks Spanish.
4. What famous Manhattan landmark used to be in the Sixth Borough?
(a) Carnegie Hall.
(b) Washington Square.
(c) Central Park.
(d) The Empire State Building.
5. Which two career paths does Allen Black imagine for his son in Happiness, Happiness?
(a) Famous actor or restauranteur.
(b) Basketball star or senator.
(c) Architect or stock trader.
(d) Brain surgeon or lawyer.
6. What event does interviewee at the beginning of Happiness, Happiness describe?
(a) The firebombing of Dresden.
(b) The bombing of Hiroshima.
(c) The execution of Mussolini.
(d) The liberation of Dachau.
7. How does Abby Black know William Black?
(a) He is her ex-husband.
(b) He is her nephew.
(c) He is her brother.
(d) He is her grandfather.
8. What does Oskar think is "grody" about the story of The Sixth Borough?
(a) The idea of a boy pulling off a girl's skirt.
(b) The idea of two boys kissing each other.
(c) The idea of a person swimming in the Hudson.
(d) The idea of a dog farting.
9. How long does A.R. help in the search before giving up in Alive and Alone?
(a) 10 weeks.
(b) 2 years.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 15 days.
10. In his fourth message, what does Dad say the people in his tower are doing?
(a) They are bashing out windows.
(b) They are going to the roof.
(c) They are jumping from the building.
(d) They are holding each other.
11. What does Grandma refuse to share with Thomas in Why I'm Not Where You Are?
(a) Her anger.
(c) Her body.
(d) Her money.
12. How does Oskar respond to A.R. Black's announcement that he is quitting the search?
(a) He hugs him.
(b) He shouts a curse word at him.
(c) He cries.
(d) He shakes his hand.
13. Whose hand does Oskar squeeze on his way to the top of the Empire State Building in Alive and Alone?
(a) A.R. Black's.
(b) Ruth Black's.
(d) Thomas Schell, Sr.'s.
14. What stylistically is noticeable about this chapter, Why I'm Not Where You Are?
(a) Spelling and grammar errors are cirled in red.
(b) It is written phoenetically.
(c) The pages are printed upside down.
(d) The font changes to Courier New.
15. In his letter in A Simple Solution to an Impossible Problem, what does Stephen Hawking admit wishing that he could be?
(a) A waiter.
(b) An actor.
(c) A poet.
(d) An athlete.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Why I'm Not Where You Are, Thomas admits to Grandma that during their absence he had sex with whom?
2. In The Sixth Borough, what had the engineers brought in to deal with the island previously worked on?
3. What is Thomas's response to Grandma's comment in Why I'm Not Where You Are that many babies will not be born because of 9/11?
4. Which of the following is a borough of New York that Oskar determines he has never visited at the beginning of The Sixth Borough?
5. What does Oskar suspect Feliz is lying about Agnes Black in Happiness, Happiness?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)