|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a child do when he is frightened?
2. This activity takes the place of whose activity?
3. Does a child try to figure out what is frightening him?
4. Guyon writes at length about what?
5. Do people know what they need?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how this book ends.
2. What is Guyon's warning against ritual prayer?
3. What does Guyon have to say about activity prompted by the Spirit? How does she illustrate this point?
4. To what does Guyon compare the wisdom of God?
5. What does Guyon believe is the ultimate goal of a Christian? How does she support this belief?
6. What does Guyon have to say about the "prayer of silence"?
7. What does Guyon warn against regarding confession?
8. What does Guyon say about those who have reached the point of continual prayer?
9. What does Guyon have to say about inward and outward actions?
10. What does Guyon say about one's feelings toward his or her own sins compared to God's feelings about sin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One can avoid temptation.
Part 1) Of what temptations does Guyon speak? How can these be avoided?
Part 2) How does Guyon illustrate how she suggests dealing with temptation? What are your thoughts about this? Does it adequately support her opinion about avoiding temptation? Why or why not?
Part 3) When have you avoided temptations? How did you go about doing this? What might Guyon think about this? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
One must be submissive to the Lord.
Part 1) How can one be submissive to the Lord? Why is this required?
Part 2) Why is this difficult? Might it be more difficult in our own society to submit to another? Why or why not?
Part 3) When have you been submissive? Why were you submissive? Did this benefit you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Being close to Christ begins with a yielding of the heart.
Part 1) What is meant by being close to Christ? What is yielding of the heart?
Part 2) How can one's heart yield? What is the connection between this yielding and prayer?
Part 3) How is a prayer from the mind bad? What does she mean by a prayer from the mind?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)