|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. She explains that you will come to a point at which God immediately shows you even the smallest of sins and that you have to do what?
2. You should allow God to have His way in what aspects of life?
3. Guyon next introduces a concept she calls what?
4. She says that when your mind wanders, what should you do?
5. What does a child do when he is frightened?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what does Guyon compare the wisdom of God?
2. What does Guyon say about doctrine?
3. What does Guyon have to say on the subject of confession?
4. When can "continual prayer" be found? What else does Guyon say about this passive attitude towards prayer?
5. How does Guyon illustrate this idea of passivity?
6. Why does Guyon believe one has not cause for worry?
7. How does Guyon explain the ability to be active while resting?
8. What does Guyon say about requests in prayers?
9. About what is the beginning of this section?
10. What does Guyon say about intercession?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a "second level of prayers" that may be used equally by both the educated and uneducated.
Part 1) What is this "second level of prayers?" How is this useful to all?
Part 2) How is this the next step? What does this reveal about Guyon's belief about the process of prayer?
Part 3) How is this "faith and stillness" beneficial? Do you agree? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
An entire chapter is given to those who cannot read.
Part 1) Why is this chapter important during the time in which this book was written? Is it still important today? Why or why not?
Part 2) What does she suggest for the illiterate? If this is true, why do those who are literate need the Bible?
Part 3) Do you agree with Guyon in regards to the directions she gives the illiterate?
Essay Topic 3
Being close to Christ begins with a yielding of the heart.
Part 1) What is meant by being close to Christ? What is yielding of the heart?
Part 2) How can one's heart yield? What is the connection between this yielding and prayer?
Part 3) How is a prayer from the mind bad? What does she mean by a prayer from the mind?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)