|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason for the answer to #171?
2. What should the new Christian be taught?
3. She explains that you will come to a point at which God immediately shows you even the smallest of sins and that you have to do what?
4. Who does Guyon quote regarding dealing with temptation?
5. Setting that soul toward what makes the "inward attraction of the Lord's spirit" powerful?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Guyon have to say about passivity?
2. What are Guyon's thoughts on distractions?
3. Describe how this book ends.
4. How does Guyon explain the ability to be active while resting?
5. What does Guyon warn against regarding confession?
6. What does Guyon have to say about activity prompted by the Spirit? How does she illustrate this point?
7. What is Guyon's warning against ritual prayer?
8. What does Guyon say about one's feelings toward his or her own sins compared to God's feelings about sin?
9. What does Guyon say about those who have reached the point of continual prayer?
10. About what is the beginning of this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Guyon speaks of a concept she calls the "law of central tendency".
Part 1) Describe this law. How does this reinforce her other beliefs?
Part 2) How does this law represent a theme found in this book?
Part 3) Does this law follow human nature? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Guyon is imprisoned in St. Antoine.
Part 1) Why is she imprisoned? Is there just cause for this imprisonment?
Part 2) How is she affected by this imprisonment? How do her beliefs influence her at this time?
Part 3) Why is her work a threat? Do you see it as threatening? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
There is a "second level of prayers" that may be used equally by both the educated and uneducated.
Part 1) What is this "second level of prayers?" How is this useful to all?
Part 2) How is this the next step? What does this reveal about Guyon's belief about the process of prayer?
Part 3) How is this "faith and stillness" beneficial? Do you agree? Why or why not?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)