|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another option for coming to Christ?
2. Does turning inward require practice?
3. When choosing a passage of scripture, what does Guyon recommend?
4. One's relationship with God will do what?
5. The moment you feel God's presence lessening, what should you do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Guyon say is merely a first step? What is the next step?
2. What does Guyon say about what God will do for those with longings?
3. How does Guyon say one can find an unselfish prayer life?
4. How must one's abandonment go one step further?
5. What does Guyon say when one has come to a point of a regular prayer life?
6. How does one begin to abandon his or her life?
7. What warning does Guyon give regarding those who give themselves during a good time?
8. What does Guyon say about "dry spells"?
9. What does Guyon warn about one's imagination?
10. How might one overcome selfish desires, according to Guyon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A Christian must be willing to love through hardships.
Part 1) How is this often difficult? Can you relate to this? Why or why not?
Part 2) How is this ability to love during hardships like Christ?
Part 3) How does this reflect God's ability to love His people?
Essay Topic 2
The senses can be "conquered".
Part 1) What is meant, according to Guyon, by the senses? How can they be conquered? Why does Guyon believe they should be conquered?
Part 2) How might one's life change by conquering the senses?
Part 3) Is everyone capable of conquering his or her senses? Why or why not? Could you conquer your own? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Guyon is imprisoned in St. Antoine.
Part 1) Why is she imprisoned? Is there just cause for this imprisonment?
Part 2) How is she affected by this imprisonment? How do her beliefs influence her at this time?
Part 3) Why is her work a threat? Do you see it as threatening? Why or why not?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)