|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who shows John that death is just the beginning of a great adventure, according to the book?
2. Who decides they suddenly need to go home, based on a feeling they have about someone else?
3. What does John's boss offer to pay him for during the time when he finished his dissertation?
4. What kind of professional worked with children with Down Syndrome, according to her account in the story?
5. What is Martha packed and ready to do when John comes home with the news about his job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened after John spoke with his dissertation adviser that day?
2. What happened to delay John's return to Martha and to his family?
3. What did Martha notice about the others in the room when she is about to give birth to Adam?
4. What was John unsure he could face every day when he is on his business trip, which caused him to question his life?
5. What did the doctor in the hospital accuse Martha of doing when she was admitted again for dehydration?
6. What did Martha learn on the phone call that makes her stay on the phone until John arrived home?
7. Why didn't Adam go home in the first few days after his birth, according to the story?
8. What did John use as rationale when he decided to return home instead of staying in Asia?
9. What was Martha surprised to learn about Sibyl when she told her about the diagnosis of Adam?
10. Why was Martha having troubles with bleeding during her pregnancy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Martha can not understand why Deirdre would want to stay with a man who was cruel to her.
Part 1: Why do you think Deirdre decided to stay with a person who was cruel to her?
Part 2: Would you want to stay with a person who was cruel to her?
Part 3: Make an argument for a person to stay with someone who is mean to them, whether it's physical or mental abuse.
Essay Topic 2
Martha has a medical emergency, but decides to sleep instead of going to the hospital.
Part 1: Why do you think Martha didn't go to the hospital right away?
Part 2: What would you have done if you were the doctor on the other line?
Part 3: How do you think Martha could have better prepared for an emergency situation like this?
Essay Topic 3
On the second day of extreme nausea, Martha realized that she needed to eat something or else she could not take care of her daughter.
Part 1: Why do you think Martha waited so long to get help with her sickness?
Part 2: Do you think that Martha's daughter was ever in danger of not being cared for?
Part 3: How do you think Martha could have better prepared herself to take care of her daughter?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)