|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In one class, a man shouted out that it was a ________ decision to abort a deformed child.
2. Martha would continue to hope for the _________ that might bring her back to that feeling of overwhelming love.
3. How might the people who want Martha and John to not have their baby be described?
4. Who does Martha go to visit during one of the times when John is away for business?
5. What did Martha begin to dream about when Adam was two, according to her account in the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Martha decide to do when she was heading over to see the nurse practitioner?
2. What was Martha surprised to see when Adam was introduced to the therapist who worked with certain animals?
3. Why was Martha having troubles with bleeding during her pregnancy?
4. What was the negative experience that Martha has in one of her classes, causing her to not doubt what others thought of her decision to have the baby?
5. What did Martha notice about the others in the room when she is about to give birth to Adam?
6. What made it easier for Martha to grieve the loss of her normal child when she was visiting family?
7. What did John's dissertation adviser tell John when John tells him about the diagnosis?
8. Why didn't Martha go to the emergency room when she was ill and bleeding profusely?
9. What did John use as rationale when he decided to return home instead of staying in Asia?
10. What happened to Martha when she first arrived at the hospital with John?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Martha can not understand why Deirdre would want to stay with a man who was cruel to her.
Part 1: Why do you think Deirdre decided to stay with a person who was cruel to her?
Part 2: Would you want to stay with a person who was cruel to her?
Part 3: Make an argument for a person to stay with someone who is mean to them, whether it's physical or mental abuse.
Essay Topic 2
Martha has an experience that leads her to write this book because of a meeting with a psychic.
Part 1: Do you think psychics have valuable information to offer to others?
Part 2: Why do you think that Martha decided to listen to the advice of the psychic?
Part 3: How do you think you might respond if you had heard that same advice from a psychic?
Essay Topic 3
A faculty member tells John that he will never reach his goals if he has the child.
Part 1: Why do you think the teacher tells John that he won't reach his goals?
Part 2: Do you agree with the opinion of the faculty member?
Part 3: How do you think John could have responded to the faculty member?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)