|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does John go at the beginning of this chapter, according to Martha's account in the story?
2. What does Martha believe she can see inside the doctor as they are talking to each other?
3. Martha believes that Adam was sent into the world to ________ her and her husband, according to her account in the story.
4. What does the doctor at the hospital suggest that Martha do in order to save her life?
5. ________ was having a conversation with a mentor when they are told to forget their family.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Martha notice about the others in the room when she is about to give birth to Adam?
2. What did Martha and John learn from their parents when they talked to them about the diagnosis they learned?
3. Why was Martha having troubles with bleeding during her pregnancy?
4. What was John unsure he could face every day when he is on his business trip, which caused him to question his life?
5. What was John considering when he was set to go on another trip to Asia for his job?
6. What did Martha learn on the phone call that makes her stay on the phone until John arrived home?
7. What did Martha begin to see in the doctor as they were talking about her pregnancy?
8. What was Martha surprised to learn about Sibyl when she told her about the diagnosis of Adam?
9. Why couldn't Martha and John see Adam when he was first born, according to her description?
10. What did the doctor in the hospital accuse Martha of doing when she was admitted again for dehydration?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Martha can not understand why Deirdre would want to stay with a man who was cruel to her.
Part 1: Why do you think Deirdre decided to stay with a person who was cruel to her?
Part 2: Would you want to stay with a person who was cruel to her?
Part 3: Make an argument for a person to stay with someone who is mean to them, whether it's physical or mental abuse.
Essay Topic 2
During the fire, Martha feels that she is being rescued from the fire, though she never sees a rescuer when she leaves.
Part 1: What do you think happened to Martha when she was pushed from the building?
Part 2: Do you think that a person actually helped Martha?
Part 3: How do you explain the experience that Martha had? Ghosts? Angels? Luck?
Essay Topic 3
Martha could only find a book on Down Syndrome that was depressing and not helpful to her situation. But she reads it anyway.
Part 1: Why do you think the books on Down Syndrome at the time were depressing?
Part 2: Do you think people are accepting of Down Syndrome today?
Part 3: Would you want to read books on Down Syndrome if you were to find out your child had the condition?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)