|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does one of Martha's friends know so much about Down Syndrome, according to her account in the story?
2. During this time, John thinks about not returning to ________ as he is tired from all that is happening.
3. What does Martha believe she can see inside the doctor as they are talking to each other?
4. What does John feel when he talks to his adviser about the progress of his dissertation?
5. Martha began to be frightened about what would happen if Adam were born ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the image that Martha had in a moment of despair when John left the apartment?
2. What was Martha surprised to see when Adam was introduced to the therapist who worked with certain animals?
3. What began to happen when John was in Asia for his consulting job?
4. What happened when Martha and John were able to hold Adam and the pediatrician comes in?
5. What was John unsure he could face every day when he is on his business trip, which caused him to question his life?
6. What did Martha begin to see in the doctor as they were talking about her pregnancy?
7. What was Martha thinking about when John is talking to his mentor and having troubles focusing on his words?
8. What were the circumstances surrounding the phone call that woke Martha up the next day?
9. What happened to delay John's return to Martha and to his family?
10. What did Martha decide to do when she was heading over to see the nurse practitioner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Martha could only find a book on Down Syndrome that was depressing and not helpful to her situation. But she reads it anyway.
Part 1: Why do you think the books on Down Syndrome at the time were depressing?
Part 2: Do you think people are accepting of Down Syndrome today?
Part 3: Would you want to read books on Down Syndrome if you were to find out your child had the condition?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of ambition is one that comes up often in this book, often shown in a less than positive light, with Martha and John both spending their energy to try to keep up their professional careers, to the detriment of all else.
Part 1: Why do you think Martha and John's careers are so important to them?
Part 2: Do you think career should come before all else? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think a person can balance personal and professional goals in a positive way?
Essay Topic 3
During the fire, Martha feels that she is being rescued from the fire, though she never sees a rescuer when she leaves.
Part 1: What do you think happened to Martha when she was pushed from the building?
Part 2: Do you think that a person actually helped Martha?
Part 3: How do you explain the experience that Martha had? Ghosts? Angels? Luck?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)