|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of hands does Martha ask to help her with her baby, according to her account in the story?
2. What does Martha decide to order from the grocery delivery?
3. What does Martha notice is happening in the room in the moments before Adam arrives in the world?
4. What wakes Martha up the following morning, according to her story in the boook?
5. Who did Martha call when she realized she needed medical help?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Martha thinking about when John is talking to his mentor and having troubles focusing on his words?
2. Why was Martha having troubles with bleeding during her pregnancy?
3. What did Martha notice about the others in the room when she is about to give birth to Adam?
4. What was the image that Martha had in a moment of despair when John left the apartment?
5. What began to happen when John was in Asia for his consulting job?
6. What did Martha recall happening when she asked for someone to help her save her baby?
7. What did Martha and John learn from their parents when they talked to them about the diagnosis they learned?
8. What did John use as rationale when he decided to return home instead of staying in Asia?
9. What did Martha decide to do when she was heading over to see the nurse practitioner?
10. What was the negative experience that Martha has in one of her classes, causing her to not doubt what others thought of her decision to have the baby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Martha, at first, decides that she will hide her pregnancy from others since she's not sure how she feels about it either, it seems.
Part 1: Do you think Martha should have told more people about her pregnancy?
Part 2: Why do you think Martha might have thought hiding her pregnancy was the best idea?
Part 3: How do you think Harvard might have reacted to learning about Martha's pregnancy?
Essay Topic 2
John tries to convince Martha to abort the child should she hear anything negative about the baby.
Part 1: Why do you think John feels that abortion is the answer to any problems with the child?
Part 2: Why do you think Martha does not want to abort the child, no matter what is found?
Part 3: How would you handle the situation if you were in Martha's situation?
Essay Topic 3
Martha Beck decided not to leave her apartment, even as there was a fire below her apartment, even though she had her daughter with her.
Part 1: Why do you think that Martha decided to wait to leave the apartment?
Part 2: How would you have responded to the fire that was below your apartment?
Part 3: What seems strange to you about this moment in Martha's life?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)