|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John's dissertation advisor say that John will never get because he allowed Martha to have the baby?
2. Where does Martha stop along the way to her visit with the nurse practitioner?
3. Where do Martha and John arrive at the start of this chapter of the book?
4. What does the obstetrician accuse Martha of doing which is why the doctor thinks she's in the hospital?
5. Who shows John that death is just the beginning of a great adventure, according to the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Martha surprised to learn about Sibyl when she told her about the diagnosis of Adam?
2. What was John unsure he could face every day when he is on his business trip, which caused him to question his life?
3. What was Martha thinking about when John is talking to his mentor and having troubles focusing on his words?
4. What were the circumstances surrounding the phone call that woke Martha up the next day?
5. What did Martha recall happening when she asked for someone to help her save her baby?
6. Why didn't Martha go to the emergency room when she was ill and bleeding profusely?
7. Why didn't Adam go home in the first few days after his birth, according to the story?
8. What did John's dissertation adviser tell John when John tells him about the diagnosis?
9. What did Martha notice about the others in the room when she is about to give birth to Adam?
10. What was John considering when he was set to go on another trip to Asia for his job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Martha has a medical emergency, but decides to sleep instead of going to the hospital.
Part 1: Why do you think Martha didn't go to the hospital right away?
Part 2: What would you have done if you were the doctor on the other line?
Part 3: How do you think Martha could have better prepared for an emergency situation like this?
Essay Topic 2
John tries to convince Martha to abort the child should she hear anything negative about the baby.
Part 1: Why do you think John feels that abortion is the answer to any problems with the child?
Part 2: Why do you think Martha does not want to abort the child, no matter what is found?
Part 3: How would you handle the situation if you were in Martha's situation?
Essay Topic 3
Martha, at first, decides that she will hide her pregnancy from others since she's not sure how she feels about it either, it seems.
Part 1: Do you think Martha should have told more people about her pregnancy?
Part 2: Why do you think Martha might have thought hiding her pregnancy was the best idea?
Part 3: How do you think Harvard might have reacted to learning about Martha's pregnancy?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)