|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. John is told he needs to fight for a new __________ for a future job, according to the book.
2. What does the obstetrician accuse Martha of doing which is why the doctor thinks she's in the hospital?
3. What is Martha struggling with since now everyone knows about her pregnancy and about Adam?
4. What does John find when he is ready to leave to go back to Boston?
5. What does Martha see floating before her while she feels cradled in the arms of someone who makes her feel completely at peace?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Martha surprised to learn about Sibyl when she told her about the diagnosis of Adam?
2. What began to happen when John was in Asia for his consulting job?
3. What made it easier for Martha to grieve the loss of her normal child when she was visiting family?
4. What did John's mentor tell him when John was having a conversation with him about his future?
5. What did John use as rationale when he decided to return home instead of staying in Asia?
6. What was Martha surprised to see when Adam was introduced to the therapist who worked with certain animals?
7. What happened to Martha when she first arrived at the hospital with John?
8. What did Martha and John learn from their parents when they talked to them about the diagnosis they learned?
9. What was the image that Martha had in a moment of despair when John left the apartment?
10. What did Martha learn on the phone call that makes her stay on the phone until John arrived home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John begins to feel guilty that he's not closer to being done with his dissertation than he should be, according to his adviser.
Part 1: Why do you think John feels guilty about not being closer to finishing his dissertation?
Part 2: Do you think John needs to be easier on himself?
Part 3: How do you think John might want to handle the situation with his adviser and his dissertation?
Essay Topic 2
Martha has an experience that leads her to write this book because of a meeting with a psychic.
Part 1: Do you think psychics have valuable information to offer to others?
Part 2: Why do you think that Martha decided to listen to the advice of the psychic?
Part 3: How do you think you might respond if you had heard that same advice from a psychic?
Essay Topic 3
Martha could only find a book on Down Syndrome that was depressing and not helpful to her situation. But she reads it anyway.
Part 1: Why do you think the books on Down Syndrome at the time were depressing?
Part 2: Do you think people are accepting of Down Syndrome today?
Part 3: Would you want to read books on Down Syndrome if you were to find out your child had the condition?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)