|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Martha find out about her rescuer in the days to come?
2. How many people give up their seats for Martha when she makes her way to safety, according to her account in the book?
3. What was the symptom that allowed Martha to discover why she had so many difficult symptoms during her pregnancy?
4. One of Martha's classmates misinterprets her comment about _________, which shows her that she is not the only one who isn't smart enough.
5. Who feels the urge to leave but ignores it until there are more obvious signs that the danger is real?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Martha find herself growing weaker and weaker when she was taking care of Katie on her own?
2. What was the vivid dream that Martha has, causing her to ask for more testing on her child?
3. What act of generosity moved Martha when she came up to the ambulance to have someone check her baby?
4. Why did John try to persuade Martha to abort the baby, as they sat in a cafe?
5. Why did Deirdre and Sibyl say they were willing to help Martha out in her condition?
6. Why didn't Martha want anyone to know at Harvard about the pregnancy she just discovered?
7. What were some of the symptoms that Martha would experience during her pregnancy because of an undiagnosed medical condition?
8. What was the sign that Martha sees from another student, helping her realize she is not the only one faking her way through school?
9. What did Martha and John feel about the prospect of going to Harvard to get their degrees?
10. What did Martha and John plan to do when they were on a Christmas holiday from Harvard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While John and Martha have decided to call the child Christen, they end up calling him Adam in the end.
Part 1: How would you go about choosing a name for your child?
Part 2: Why do you think it's so difficult to choose a name for a child being born?
Part 3: Do you think that John and Martha made the right decision for their child's name?
Essay Topic 2
The Becks continue to experience a series of miracles, as they call them, throughout their pregnancy.
Part 1: Do you believe in the idea of miracles?
Part 2: Why do you think all of the miracles took place in the lives of the Becks?
Part 3: How do you think you would react if you were to experience all of the good luck that the Becks experience?
Essay Topic 3
Martha could only find a book on Down Syndrome that was depressing and not helpful to her situation. But she reads it anyway.
Part 1: Why do you think the books on Down Syndrome at the time were depressing?
Part 2: Do you think people are accepting of Down Syndrome today?
Part 3: Would you want to read books on Down Syndrome if you were to find out your child had the condition?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)