|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the person Martha interviews say that Adam wants her to stop doing?
2. Who gets to see the picture of the ultrasound before it is hung up, according to Martha's account in the book?
3. What did Martha go into town to get when she had the incident with the moose?
4. Martha finds it amusing that she is not the only one who feels they are _________ their way through school.
5. What does the hospital say is the prognosis of Martha's baby after she has been checked out?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Martha and John feel about the prospect of going to Harvard to get their degrees?
2. What were some of the symptoms that Martha would experience during her pregnancy because of an undiagnosed medical condition?
3. Why did Deirdre and Sibyl say they were willing to help Martha out in her condition?
4. What were some of the struggles that Martha faced when she began the new semester?
5. What happened right when John leaves for his next trip for his consulting job, so he doesn't know this has happened?
6. What did Martha begin to think of when she saw her baby for the first time on the ultrasound?
7. Why did Martha decide to shop for larger clothing in New Hampshire at the start of this section?
8. What happened to Martha after she begins to feel ill all day, though she ignores it?
9. Why didn't Martha want anyone to know at Harvard about the pregnancy she just discovered?
10. How did Martha find out that she might not have been rescued as she thought she had?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Martha can not understand why Deirdre would want to stay with a man who was cruel to her.
Part 1: Why do you think Deirdre decided to stay with a person who was cruel to her?
Part 2: Would you want to stay with a person who was cruel to her?
Part 3: Make an argument for a person to stay with someone who is mean to them, whether it's physical or mental abuse.
Essay Topic 2
The Becks continue to experience a series of miracles, as they call them, throughout their pregnancy.
Part 1: Do you believe in the idea of miracles?
Part 2: Why do you think all of the miracles took place in the lives of the Becks?
Part 3: How do you think you would react if you were to experience all of the good luck that the Becks experience?
Essay Topic 3
John begins to feel guilty that he's not closer to being done with his dissertation than he should be, according to his adviser.
Part 1: Why do you think John feels guilty about not being closer to finishing his dissertation?
Part 2: Do you think John needs to be easier on himself?
Part 3: How do you think John might want to handle the situation with his adviser and his dissertation?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)