|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Martha realize when she opens the door to her apartment during the fire?
2. What does Martha receive when she gets home from the holiday, according to her account in the book?
3. What did some of the daycare centers in the Beck's area require that parents have in order to be admitted?
4. What alerts Martha to the possibility that something might be terribly wrong with her unborn baby?
5. What kind of job has John been doing which takes him away from his family more often than he might like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Martha that leads her to have to tell others that she is pregnant, even though she doesn't want to do so?
2. What news did Martha find out from a nurse practitioner when she arrived back from the holidays?
3. Why did Martha decide to shop for larger clothing in New Hampshire at the start of this section?
4. How did Martha find out that she might not have been rescued as she thought she had?
5. What were some of the symptoms that Martha would experience during her pregnancy because of an undiagnosed medical condition?
6. What was the sign that Martha sees from another student, helping her realize she is not the only one faking her way through school?
7. What did Martha and John feel about the prospect of going to Harvard to get their degrees?
8. What were some of the accomplishments that Martha Beck lists within the context of this book?
9. What did Martha have to deal with at school after John returned home from another business trip?
10. What happened to Martha after she begins to feel ill all day, though she ignores it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Martha discusses how she feels that she will be exposed as a fake when she is at Harvard.
Part 1: Why do you think Martha feels she is a fake?
Part 2: Do you think a lot of people who go to Harvard feel that way?
Part 3: How do you think a person might get past the feeling of being a fake in their environment?
Essay Topic 2
On the second day of extreme nausea, Martha realized that she needed to eat something or else she could not take care of her daughter.
Part 1: Why do you think Martha waited so long to get help with her sickness?
Part 2: Do you think that Martha's daughter was ever in danger of not being cared for?
Part 3: How do you think Martha could have better prepared herself to take care of her daughter?
Essay Topic 3
The book itself is a memoir, told from the perspective of Martha as she learns about giving birth to a child who has Down Syndrome.
Part 1: Why do you think bringing up a child with Down Syndrome is more difficult?
Part 2: How might you respond if you heard your child was to be born with Down Syndrome?
Part 3: Do you think a person should abort a child if they know they're going to have developmental disorders?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)