|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Martha go shopping for clothing that is heavier and less form fitting?
2. What alerts Martha to the possibility that something might be terribly wrong with her unborn baby?
3. What happened to Deirdre after she left this man and became pregnant?
4. Why does John begin to panic after trying to call Martha at home?
5. Who comes to the rescue of Martha when she realizes the state she is in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Martha want anyone to know at Harvard about the pregnancy she just discovered?
2. What did Martha and John plan to do when they were on a Christmas holiday from Harvard?
3. Why didn't Martha leave the apartment right away when the grocery store incident happened?
4. Why did Martha decide to shop for larger clothing in New Hampshire at the start of this section?
5. What was the story that Deirdre shares that is surprising like Martha's?
6. Why did Martha find herself growing weaker and weaker when she was taking care of Katie on her own?
7. What did the daycare that was closest to Harvard require in order to admit Katie to their program?
8. What happened to Martha after she begins to feel ill all day, though she ignores it?
9. What did Martha begin to think of when she saw her baby for the first time on the ultrasound?
10. What were some of the struggles that Martha faced when she began the new semester?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Martha has a medical emergency, but decides to sleep instead of going to the hospital.
Part 1: Why do you think Martha didn't go to the hospital right away?
Part 2: What would you have done if you were the doctor on the other line?
Part 3: How do you think Martha could have better prepared for an emergency situation like this?
Essay Topic 2
The book itself is a memoir, told from the perspective of Martha as she learns about giving birth to a child who has Down Syndrome.
Part 1: Why do you think bringing up a child with Down Syndrome is more difficult?
Part 2: How might you respond if you heard your child was to be born with Down Syndrome?
Part 3: Do you think a person should abort a child if they know they're going to have developmental disorders?
Essay Topic 3
Martha can not understand why Deirdre would want to stay with a man who was cruel to her.
Part 1: Why do you think Deirdre decided to stay with a person who was cruel to her?
Part 2: Would you want to stay with a person who was cruel to her?
Part 3: Make an argument for a person to stay with someone who is mean to them, whether it's physical or mental abuse.
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)