|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John buy at the same time that Martha is shopping for clothing?
2. What do John and Martha do very little of during their holiday with Katie?
3. What causes John to swerve when he is driving back from a vacation with the family?
4. What does the person Martha interviews say that Adam wants her to stop doing?
5. What does Martha find out about her rescuer in the days to come?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened right when John leaves for his next trip for his consulting job, so he doesn't know this has happened?
2. What were some of the accomplishments that Martha Beck lists within the context of this book?
3. What did Martha have to deal with at school after John returned home from another business trip?
4. What happened when John arrives at his work location and calls to check on Martha and Katie?
5. Why did Martha find herself growing weaker and weaker when she was taking care of Katie on her own?
6. What did the daycare that was closest to Harvard require in order to admit Katie to their program?
7. What made Martha and John nervous about the consulting job that John took?
8. What were some of the struggles that Martha faced when she began the new semester?
9. Why did Deirdre and Sibyl say they were willing to help Martha out in her condition?
10. What was the story that Deirdre shares that is surprising like Martha's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though it is a holiday, John and Martha continue to work on their degrees while arguing about the holidays.
Part 1: Why do you think the holidays are a time of problems for many families?
Part 2: Do you think the Becks should have simply taken time to relax?
Part 3: What do you normally do when you are on vacation from school?
Essay Topic 2
John tries to convince Martha to abort the child should she hear anything negative about the baby.
Part 1: Why do you think John feels that abortion is the answer to any problems with the child?
Part 2: Why do you think Martha does not want to abort the child, no matter what is found?
Part 3: How would you handle the situation if you were in Martha's situation?
Essay Topic 3
Martha, at first, decides that she will hide her pregnancy from others since she's not sure how she feels about it either, it seems.
Part 1: Do you think Martha should have told more people about her pregnancy?
Part 2: Why do you think Martha might have thought hiding her pregnancy was the best idea?
Part 3: How do you think Harvard might have reacted to learning about Martha's pregnancy?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)