|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of person was Martha interviewing for her dissertation, a person who gave her insight into her son?
2. Where does John have to fly to every few weeks for his job in order to support the family?
(d) South America.
3. What thought melted from the mind of Martha as she heard the bells that rang like the ones at Boston Commons?
4. The person Martha is interviewing says that Adam is hurt more by Martha being ________ than being open.
5. Why does John begin to panic after trying to call Martha at home?
(a) A man answers.
(b) She does not answer.
(c) There is no dial tone.
(d) She sounds strange.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age was Adam unable to speak, as told in the story at the start of the book?
2. What does Martha realize when she opens the door to her apartment during the fire?
3. How many degrees from Harvard does Martha hold, according to her account in the book?
4. What were Martha's students unhappy about, according to her account in the book?
5. What was the result of the alfa fetal protein test that Martha took before the holiday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when John arrives at his work location and calls to check on Martha and Katie?
2. What were the two medical issues that John and Martha faced when he returned from his trip overseas?
3. How did Martha find out that she might not have been rescued as she thought she had?
4. What did Martha and John plan to do when they were on a Christmas holiday from Harvard?
5. What was the vivid dream that Martha has, causing her to ask for more testing on her child?
6. Why did Martha find herself growing weaker and weaker when she was taking care of Katie on her own?
7. What was the story that Deirdre shares that is surprising like Martha's?
8. What were some of the struggles that Martha faced when she began the new semester?
9. What made Martha and John nervous about the consulting job that John took?
10. What did Martha and John feel about the prospect of going to Harvard to get their degrees?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)