|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the obstetrician accuse Martha of doing which is why the doctor thinks she's in the hospital?
(a) Trying to get more attention.
(c) Trying to commit suicide.
(d) Trying to starve herself.
2. What is the ability that John and Martha have which allows them to connect with each other?
(a) Seeing Thing.
(b) Seeing Eye.
(c) Seeing Trance.
(d) Seeing Song.
3. Who points out Adam's small, but perfect features, according to her account in the story?
4. What allows John to make it on a flight the following day, according to Martha's account in the story?
(a) A flight delay.
(b) Stand by.
(c) A kind passenger.
(d) A last minute cancellation.
5. What does Martha buy for Adam when she is shopping at the Harvard Coop?
(a) Harvard shoes.
(b) A book.
(c) A picture frame.
(d) Harvard sweatsuit.
6. Why didn't Adam go home for the first few days of life, according to her account in the story?
(a) His organs needed to develop more.
(b) Was on a ventilator.
(c) He was in pain.
7. What is Martha packed and ready to do when John comes home with the news about his job?
(a) Go to her parents' house.
(b) Take Katie to school.
(c) Go to the hospital.
(d) Leave him.
8. What was Martha bleeding from, according to her account in the story?
(a) Partial cervical collapse.
(b) Partial abruption of the placenta.
(c) Abruption of the ovaries.
(d) Partial abruption of the fallopian tubes.
9. Who was having troubles accepting Adam's diagnosis at first, though this person decides to support it?
(a) Martha's mother.
(b) Martha's cousin.
(c) Martha's sister.
(d) Martha's father.
10. What does Martha notice is happening in the room in the moments before Adam arrives in the world?
(b) Nail biting.
(d) A large gathering of professionals.
11. Adam came into the world and he was not the _________ that many had expected him to be.
(d) Medical nightmare.
12. What is the experience that Martha have in the beginning of her labor?
(a) Intense boredom.
(b) Intense pain.
(c) Intense peace.
(d) Intense nausea.
13. What does Martha feel touch her when she recalls asking someone to help her save her baby?
(a) A pair of lips.
(b) A mouth.
(c) A hand.
(d) A breast.
14. Martha begins to find it easier to grieve the loss of her ________ and to accept Adam as the way he is.
(a) Normal child.
(b) School honors.
15. Where does Martha stop along the way to her visit with the nurse practitioner?
(a) Harvard Coop.
(b) The cafe.
(c) The coffee shop.
(d) The grocery store.
Short Answer Questions
1. John and Martha begin to fight over their ________ for their child, according to the story.
2. Because of his experience, John decide to return to his ___________, according to the story.
3. Who is the one that feels that they should name the child Adam instead of the name they'd already picked out?
4. What did Martha have to do for herself because there were so many medical professionals looking at Adam?
5. What kind of professional worked with children with Down Syndrome, according to her account in the story?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)