|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Martha discover the next day that reminds her of the incident in the stairwell?
(a) A note.
(b) Her missing coat.
(c) A book.
(d) A picture.
2. What does John suggest that Martha do if she should find out anything is wrong with the baby?
(a) Keep it.
(b) Abort it.
3. What is the reason why Martha did not leave sooner than she probably should have?
(a) Her dream.
(b) A phone call.
(c) False alarms in the past.
(d) Katie's recital.
4. What were Martha's students unhappy about, according to her account in the book?
(a) Their term paper grades.
(b) Her pregnancy.
(c) Her appearance.
(d) Her absences.
5. What does Martha realize when she opens the door to her apartment during the fire?
(a) The fire is real.
(b) She doesn't know her name.
(c) She doesn't know where Katie is.
(d) She didn't tell John.
6. Where does Martha know that she needs to go although she's not sure she can make it on her own?
(b) Doctor's office.
(c) Grocery store.
7. Who does Sibyl bring with her the next time that she goes to see Martha at her apartment?
8. What kind of book is this book, as evidenced by the way the book is written and presented to the reader?
(d) Fictional story.
9. What did Martha find herself doing with John when she was on her own and not eating?
(b) Making love.
10. Martha finds it amusing that she is not the only one who feels they are _________ their way through school.
(b) Doomed on.
11. At what age was Adam unable to speak, as told in the story at the start of the book?
12. How many times did the rental car spin in before it finally landed in a ditch and no one was hurt?
13. How many flights of stairs does Martha have to walk down in order to reach safety?
14. Who came to Deirdre's rescue when she was faced with a difficult time, as Martha is?
(a) An old woman.
(b) A friend.
(c) No one.
(d) Her mother.
15. What does Martha believe is important at the school where she is attending to attain her PhD?
(a) Her writing credits.
(b) Her husband.
(d) Her income.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Deirdre say that she found when she was helped by someone else during her tough time?
2. What is the name of the other child that is frequently mentioned in this story?
3. What does Martha receive when she gets home from the holiday, according to her account in the book?
4. The person Martha is interviewing says that Adam is hurt more by Martha being ________ than being open.
5. Where does Martha go in order to make sure that her baby was not harmed in the incident?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)