|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name given to the Jewish state in Palestine?
2. What action does the British take for the continuing Arab brutality?
3. Why do the Arabs choose to attack Tirat Tsiv first?
4. Why does Dov turn toward the wall after visiting with Karen?
5. What two things does Dov touch as he repeats the oath of the Maccabees?
Short Essay Questions
1. What Biblical scene is compared to the death of Major Fred Caldwell?
2. What is the purpose of Ari's plan to have the British take a convoy of trucks to Gan Dafna knowing that the officials there won't evacuate?
3. What happens to the weapons aboard the Vesuvius and to the ship?
4. Why is Kitty angry over Ari's reaction to Zev's death?
5. What is the message contained in the letter from Dov Landau?
6. What "artificial" ammunition is used by Ari in his quest to protect Gan Dafna and why?
7. What activities occupy the Jews forced to live underground in the Huleh Valley? What impact does this have on the people?
8. What is the question facing the Jews after they are granted a state?
9. What is Barak Ben Canaan's task as the Jewish people seek intervention from the United Nations?
10. What are some of the issues faced by the pilot called Tex during his flight with the one hundred forty-two Yemenites?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the evolving relationship between Ari and Kitty.
Essay Topic 2
Explain what was meant by the sign on the ship, The Star of David, that reads "Hitler murdered us and the British won't let us in." Put the statement into the context of this story and into the historical context.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the lives of the children who live at Gan Dafna to that of the lives of children at the detention camp in Cyprus.
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)