|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What area is considered the most important place in the Caraolos camp?
2. What is the name given to Ari's younger sister?
3. Who is Mark expecting to meet upon his arrival in Cyprus?
4. Why does Kitty agree to go to Caraolos?
5. What role does Kitty play aboard the Exodus during the hunger strike?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Jakov and Jossi escape when they are cornered by a group of students intent on beating them up?
2. Why are Palestine geography lessons given in the children's compound of the Caraolos camp?
3. What is the answer to the question of how to raise children born on the commune farms?
4. After twenty years, the Rabinsky brothers see no change in their new home. What is reason the farms fail?
5. Who was Andrew Dreyfus and what is the significance of his death for the Jewish community?
6. What is the official role the British play in preparing the Exodus to sail?
7. What is Ben Solomon's fate?
8. Who ranks at the top of list of Jews being taken out of Europe under Ari's supervision as the war begins in Germany?
9. When journalist Theodor Herzl hears the cry of "Death to all Jews," he comes to the conclusion that was echoed by many other Jews. What was that conclusion?
10. What is the reaction of the Danish people when the Danish Jews are ordered to wear the yellow Star of David on an armband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the life of Karen Hansen Clement and how she came to be involved with the interment camps.
Essay Topic 2
Why is the ideal of Israel and home so important to many of the Jews?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the lives of the children who live at Gan Dafna to that of the lives of children at the detention camp in Cyprus.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)