|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Karen say the Jews are being aided in their quest to reach Palestine?
2. What is the original name of the village where Ari and Dafna serve?
3. What job does Kitty hold at the camp where Karen and the other children live?
4. What item is Simon Rabinsky trying to retrieve when he is killed?
5. What in written on the sign over the entrance to Auschwitz?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the full quote Mark sees upon his arrival to Cyprus, and where does it come from?
2. What does Sutherland say about the ability to frighten residents of the camp into submission?
3. What was the expectation when the Arabs sold land to the Jews and what was reality?
4. Describe the exchange between Kitty and Ari when she sees the hog pen at his parent's farm.
5. Describe Major Caldwell's attitude toward Jews.
6. Describe the traditional Sunday activities of Simon Rabinsky and his family.
7. What are Kamaal's conditions of the sale of land to the Jews?
8. What exchange takes place between Ari and Taha?
9. David, one of the adults aboard the Exodus, is asked whether they should give in to demands and return the children to port. What is his reply?
10. Why are Palestine geography lessons given in the children's compound of the Caraolos camp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the concentration camps as seen by David as he tries to figure out how to get 300 people out of them.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Gan Dafna.
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between the levels of spirit and morale between the Jews and the Arabs?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)