|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dov spend his thirteenth birthday?
2. What in written on the sign over the entrance to Auschwitz?
3. Which European country is the first to accept Jews as "equal human beings?"
4. What was the name of the paper in which Theodor Herzl put down his ideas about the need for establishing a Jewish nation?
5. Who was Kitty's husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the official role the British play in preparing the Exodus to sail?
2. Describe the exchange between Kitty and Ari when she sees the hog pen at his parent's farm.
3. What exchange takes place between Ari and Taha?
4. What does Sutherland say about the ability to frighten residents of the camp into submission?
5. What was the expectation when the Arabs sold land to the Jews and what was reality?
6. What are Kamaal's conditions of the sale of land to the Jews?
7. Officials discuss the situation with the Exodus. List at least two recommended courses of action.
8. What is the full quote Mark sees upon his arrival to Cyprus, and where does it come from?
9. What is the answer to the question of how to raise children born on the commune farms?
10. Where did Karen Hansen Clement grow up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Yakov and Jossi. How does it change over the course of time?
Essay Topic 2
Why was it necessary that the story drop back in time to Russia in 1884 in order to tell the story of Ari? Was it effective to the story?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the number, "359295?" What was the purpose and the long-range impact of this and other similar numbers?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)