|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What in written on the sign over the entrance to Auschwitz?
(a) Here Jews Die
(b) Labor and Liberation
(c) Liberate by Wok
(d) Labor Liberates
2. What does Ari want Kitty to do?
(a) Work at Caraolos so that she can care for the children's health
(b) Work at Caraolos so that she can carry papers in and out
(c) Work at Caraolos so that she can smuggle out a child every day
(d) Work at Caraolos so that she can teach the children English
3. Who is the young Jewish boy Major Caldwell is charged with transporting to Jerusalem?
(a) Ben Husseini
(b) Ben Barak
(c) Ben Canaan
(d) Ben Solomon
4. Where do Yakov and Jossi tell their father they are going when they leave for the secret meeting?
(a) A meeting of the Jewish Fellowship
(b) To study
(c) To say a minyan for Reb Horowitz
5. What is the original name of the village where Ari and Dafna serve?
(b) The Guardpost
(c) The Gan
(d) El Ha
6. Who is the woman who asks Jossi to marry her?
7. What does Ari's name mean?
(a) Lion, Son of God
(b) Son of a Lion
(c) One from Canaan
(d) Lion, Son of Canaan
8. Who is the speaker at the secret meeting attended by Yakov and Jossi?
9. What is it Malcolm says is the biggest compliment he receives during his time working with Ari?
(a) They called him friend
(b) They called him brother
(c) They shared food and lodging with him
(d) They trusted him to lead them
10. What is the name of the first farm established by the Zion Settlement Society?
(a) Star of David
(c) The Promised Land
11. Who is Mark expecting to meet upon his arrival in Cyprus?
(a) Bruce Sutherland
(b) Kitty Fremont
(c) Deborah Davis
(d) Fred Caldwell
12. What does Dov do upon his arrival at Auschwitz that saves his life?
(a) He pleads with a doctor to spare his life
(b) He says he's a master forger but refuses to use the skill
(c) He says he's a master forger and proves it
(d) He impressses a guard with his forgery
13. Where does Jakov, now known as Barak, live before moving his family to the newest Jewish farming community?
(c) Tel Aviv
14. Where is Mark told to go upon his arrival?
(a) The concentration camps
(b) The Dome Hotel
(d) To bed
15. Where do Yakov and Jossi go to attend a secret meeting?
(a) The candle maker's shop
(b) The sewers
(c) The synagogue
(d) The shoe maker's shop
Short Answer Questions
1. What new name is given to the ship, The Stonewall Jackson?
2. What was the name of the paper in which Theodor Herzl put down his ideas about the need for establishing a Jewish nation?
3. What order does Caldwell give regarding the prisoner he's transporting to Jerusalem?
4. What weapon does Ari carry when he takes a second trip Asta?
5. What prestigious program accepts Karen?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)