|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What role does Kitty play aboard the Exodus during the hunger strike?
(a) She prays
(b) She rescues children, one at a time, by ferrying them to safety
(c) She nurses those who have passed out from lack of food
(d) She smuggles in food
2. What instruction does Ari give Kitty as they enter the tent of the Bedouin sheik?
(a) To bow upon entering and leaving
(b) To be quiet because women aren't to be heard
(c) To each whatever she's offered
(d) To avoid direct eye contact
3. What idea does Jossi want to implement on the farms?
(a) To operate them as a self-sustaining commune
(b) To use slaves as labor
(c) To abandon the idea of crops in favor of crafts
(d) To farm only dry-weather crops that can survive the climate
4. How old is Karen when she leaves the home of her adoptive parents to search for her biological parents?
5. How long do Yokav and Jossi walk?
(a) Forty months
(b) Four years
(c) Forty years
(d) Fourty days
6. What is another name for Chanukah?
(a) Night of Lights
(c) Festival of Lanterns
(d) Festival of Lights
7. Why does Karen say the Jews are being aided in their quest to reach Palestine?
(a) To live in concentration camps
(b) To be human experiments
(c) To serve as soldiers to fight the Arabs
(d) To provide free labor on civil projects
8. What special talent does Yakov's wife have?
(a) Tending the vegetable garden
(b) Tending the hogs
(c) Tending the dairy cows
(d) Tending children
9. What does Yakov do in retaliation of his father's death?
(a) Nothing. His brother Jossi commits the crime
(b) Stabs a hunchbacked Jew hater named Andreeve
(c) Kills a group of students
(d) Burns a Christian Bible
10. Who is Mark expecting to meet upon his arrival in Cyprus?
(a) Fred Caldwell
(b) Deborah Davis
(c) Bruce Sutherland
(d) Kitty Fremont
11. What was the name of Kitty's daughter?
12. What information is given from the ship regarding the hunger strike?
(a) The number of hours that have passed since the strike began
(b) The number of hours before the ship self-destructs
(c) The number of Jews who have died trying to reach Palestine
(d) The number of children who have passed out from hunger
13. What was the signal that called the Jews of the Pale of Russia to the Sabbath?
(a) A horn
(b) A whistle
(c) A bell
(d) There was no signal
14. What is the illness that strikes many of those living on the farm with Barak and his family, and which causes the first two deaths on the farm?
15. Who is the young Jewish boy Major Caldwell is charged with transporting to Jerusalem?
(a) Ben Solomon
(b) Ben Barak
(c) Ben Canaan
(d) Ben Husseini
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Mark told to go upon his arrival?
2. What does Sarah name the son she bears while her husband, Jossi, is in hiding?
3. According to Caldwell's twelve-point edict, what should become of the Jewish newspapers and publications?
4. What does Dov demand in return for finishing the forgery project he's working on?
5. How does Kammal die?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)