Short Essay Questions Key
1. What happened to Kitty following the death of her husband and daughter?
She spent time in an asylum, recovering from a mental breakdown.
2. What is the full quote Mark sees upon his arrival to Cyprus, and where does it come from?
Welcome to Cyprus, goats and monkeys. The quote is from Shakespeare's Othello.
3. Describe the significance of the row of toilets in the concentration camp where the Orthodox Jews are being held.
The row of toilets are outside near the wire wall and the fifth and sixth of the row are fakes. Under these are openings to tunnels that lead to the bay.
4. Why are Palestine geography lessons given in the children's compound of the Caraolos camp?
So that anyone picked up outside the camp will have the information they need to "prove" that they belong there.
5. Where did Karen Hansen Clement grow up?
Cologne, Germany, until the threat against Jews prompted her parents to send her to Aalborg and later to Copenhagen.
This section contains 2,802 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)