|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, what does Nadia always wear?
2. How long after his parents' marriage was Saeed born?
3. In Chapter 4 what is Saeed's mother looking for in the car?
4. In Chapter 2, when did the man who was in the bar nursing a drink remember beating a half-Filipino boy?
5. In Chapter 5, where does a family emerge from an interior service door?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what is the refugee situation?
2. In Chapter 3 after the assault on the stock exchange, how do the militants change their strategy?
3. At the end of Chapter 3, what is switched off and how does that affect Nadia, Saeed, and others in the city?
4. How did Saeed's parents meet?
5. In Chapter 5, where does Saeed's father go every day?
6. In Chapter 1, how does Saeed usually prepare presentations for clients?
7. Why does Saeed's father not wish to go with Nadia and Saeed when they leave?
8. What has Nadia's relationship been like with her family?
9. In Chapter 4, how does Saeed try to find Nadia when the phones are shut off?
10. In Chapter 3, how does Saeed limit the use of his phone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Before the city falls to the militants, phones are common and Nadia and Saeed always have theirs with them. What do phones represent to Nadia and Saeed in the city? How does the loss of phones affect them when there is no signal in the city? What do phones symbolize to Nadia and Saeed during their travels?
Essay Topic 2
Nadia and Saeed experience good and bad as they move from refugee camp to refugee camp. What do their experiences reveal about charity and exploitation in difficult times?
Essay Topic 3
Nadia adapts more easily to her new surroundings than Saeed. What was Nadia like in the city? How do those characteristics help her adapt to new surroundings when migrating?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)