|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of weapon does the second man have who enters through a black door and sees the brave man?
2. What was Nadia's favorite subject when she was a child?
3. How does Nadia cover her windows in Chapter 4?
4. In Chapter 1, how long after Saeed first asks Nadia to coffee, do they have coffee in the cafeteria?
5. What weapons does the brave man have in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the place described where Saeed lives with his parents?
2. In Chapter 1, when Saeed asks Nadia to coffee, how much fighting has the city seen where they live?
3. Where would Nadia and Saeed like to travel and why?
4. In Chapter 3, how does Saeed limit the use of his phone?
5. Why does Saeed's father not wish to go with Nadia and Saeed when they leave?
6. In Chapter 4, who does Saeed's mother think she sees firing a machine gun?
7. What does Nadia do with the money she withdraws from her bank in Chapter 4?
8. At the end of Chapter 3, what is switched off and how does that affect Nadia, Saeed, and others in the city?
9. In Chapter 1, hat is the topic of conversation when Saeed and Nadia first have coffee?
10. What does Nadia call Saeed's father in Chapter 5 and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
London is divided into light and dark when it begins filling with migrants. What do light and dark represent in London? What do the darkness and the light reveal about structural inequalities in London?
Essay Topic 2
Saeed became interested in prayer as a young child. How did Saeed become interested in prayer? What did prayer start to mean for Saeed as a young teen? How is prayer even more important to Saeed as he moves from place to place? What does prayer mean to Saeed in Marin?
Essay Topic 3
When the militants first arrive, Saeed’s family’s apartment is a safe place from the violence of the streets. How does the violence begin to affect the sanctity of the apartment? How does the death of Saeed’s mother transform their place from sanctuary to place of danger? What does the change of the apartment from sanctuary to place of danger reveal about war and safe places?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)