|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the gender of the narrator of Feminine?
2. What is one characteristic of Parts of Speech?
3. How are the passengers described in Medical?
4. What is used throughout Futile?
5. What makes Paragoge difficult to read?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the variations in Section 8 put together?
2. Explain how the basic story is changed in "Antiphrasis."
3. Why do you think the author includes the variation "Interjections?"
4. Why does Raymond Queneau include variations containing unintelligible words and phrases, such as in the "Permutations" variations?
5. What elements of the variation "Spectral" make it gothic?
6. Explain how the author can write the variation "Gustatory" without tasting anything that happens in the story?
7. What makes the variation "Awkward" seem awkward?
8. Explain how "Ode" is different from the rest of the variations.
9. What is the style of the variation "Modern Style?" How do you know?
10. Explain the variation "Consequences."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Raymond Queneau effective in conveying a sense of pointlessness in Exercises in Style? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Raymond Queneau uses poetry and poetic elements in Exercises in Style and how they impact the reader.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of the button in the basic story and variations.
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)