|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tinges the hat's plaited cord in Gustatory?
2. What sense is the focus of Auditory?
3. What is used throughout Futile?
4. How are the man's feet described in Free Verse?
5. To what animal is the man's neck compared in Zoological?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is apostrophe in literature? How is it used in the variation "Apostrophe?"
2. What elements of the variation "Spectral" make it gothic?
3. Explain the variation "Reactionary," and why it is titled "Reactionary."
4. What makes the variation "Abusive" so confrontational?
5. What does the author do to the basic story in the variation "Parts of Speech?"
6. What is the style of the variation "Modern Style?" How do you know?
7. Explain the variation "Olfactory."
8. Why is the variation "For Ze Frrensh" considered comical? Why is this variation put in place of "Poor lay Zanglay" in the English version of Exercises in Style?
9. Explain how the author can write the variation "Gustatory" without tasting anything that happens in the story?
10. Why are the variations in Section 8 put together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the theme of Exercises in Style? How do you know?
Essay Topic 2
Does Raymond Queneau accomplish his goal in exploring the flexibility of language? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What was Barbara Wright's role in Exercises in Style? What changes did she make to Queneau's exercises? Why did she make these changes?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)