|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one characteristic of Parts of Speech?
2. How is the bus identified in Proper Names?
3. According to the narrator of Awkward, what is the most difficult part of writing the story?
4. How is the bus described in Visual?
5. What sense is the focus of Olfactory?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the variations in Section 8 put together?
2. Why do you think the author writes a separate variation for each of the five senses?
3. What elements of the variation "Spectral" make it gothic?
4. Why do you think the author ends Exercises in Style with the variation "Unexpected?"
5. Why does Raymond Queneau include variations containing unintelligible words and phrases, such as in the "Permutations" variations?
6. What is the style of the variation "Modern Style?" How do you know?
7. What makes the variation "Awkward" seem awkward?
8. What affect does "Proper Noun" create by replacing common nouns with proper names?
9. Explain the variation "Reactionary," and why it is titled "Reactionary."
10. Why do you think the author includes the variation "Feminine?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of the button in the basic story and variations.
Essay Topic 2
Is Raymond Queneau effective in conveying a sense of pointlessness in Exercises in Style? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Explain why the young man, second man and the young man's friend are not given names in the story. Does this help or hurt the overall story? Why?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)