|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is used throughout Futile?
2. What is the gender of the narrator of Feminine?
3. How is the man's neck described in Gustatory?
4. Why are the Permutations exercises virtually incomprehensible?
5. What literary form is Free Verse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the style of the variation "Modern Style?" How do you know?
2. Explain how "Ode" is different from the rest of the variations.
3. Compare and contrast "Back Slang" and "Dog Latin."
4. What makes the narrator in the variation "Biased" a biased narrator?
5. Why do you think the author writes a separate variation for each of the five senses?
6. What makes the variation "Abusive" so confrontational?
7. Explain the variation "Reactionary," and why it is titled "Reactionary."
8. Why might the variation "More or Less" be easier to read aloud?
9. Why do you think the author includes the variation "Feminine?"
10. Why are the variations in Section 8 put together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Raymond Queneau accomplish his goal in exploring the flexibility of language? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Which of the variations is the most complex? Why? Use examples from the variations to support your claims.
Essay Topic 3
How does the variation "Unexpected" fit into the theme of pointlessness in Exercises in Style?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)