|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is different about the appearance of Official Letter?
2. According to the Preface, what is Raymond Queaneau a member of?
3. What interjection is included frequently in You Know?
4. Who or what sat down in Animism?
5. From what did the young man suffer in Alexandrines?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you learn about the narrator of "Ignorance" from reading the variation?
2. What does Wright say is the point of Exercises in Style?
3. What does the use of onomatopoeia in the variation "Onomatopoeia" accomplish for the reader?
4. How and why does the author use parentheses so frequently in "Distinguo?"
5. Why might the variation "Cockney" be difficult to read?
6. Why do you think the variation "Noble" is titled "Noble?"
7. Explain the basic story in Exercises in Style.
8. Why is the first variation in Section 3 called "Surprises?"
9. Why do you think Queneau begins with the variation "Notation?"
10. In the Preface, what does Queneau say is his purpose in writing Exercises in Style? What did Queneau say the finished product acts as?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Raymond Queneau accomplish his goal in exploring the flexibility of language? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Is Raymond Queneau effective in conveying a sense of pointlessness in Exercises in Style? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What is the tone of the basic story in Exercises in Style? How do you know? Does this tone change in different variations? If so, give at least one example.
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)