|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the novelist in Blurb?
2. Where was the narrator when he saw the man again in Past?
3. On what bus does the story take place?
4. How is the man's neck described in Noble?
5. How many exercises are included in a list of "possible exercises in style"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author use a different typeface in "Official Letter?"
2. What is common among the narrators in "Speaking Personally," "Exclamations," and "You Know?"
3. What does Wright say is the point of Exercises in Style?
4. What is a metaphor, and how does it apply to the variation titled "Metaphorically?"
5. What do you learn about the narrator of "Ignorance" from reading the variation?
6. How does the author make the variation "Insistence" seem insistent to the reader?
7. Explain the variation "Cross Examination."
8. Explain the perspective of the basic story given in "Animism." How does the author accomplish this perspective?
9. How are the variations "Comedy" and "Asides" alike?
10. Wright says Exercises in Style was one of the books Queneau wanted translated. What is her reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why the young man, second man and the young man's friend are not given names in the story. Does this help or hurt the overall story? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Does Raymond Queneau accomplish his goal in exploring the flexibility of language? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What is the tone of the basic story in Exercises in Style? How do you know? Does this tone change in different variations? If so, give at least one example.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)