|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator of Word Game describe the man as ridiculous?
2. At what time of day does the story take place, according to Double Entry?
3. What are the only things that never meet, according to the narrator of Speaking Personally?
4. What publication is the translation based on?
5. Where was the narrator when he saw the man again in Past?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain passive voice as used in the variation "Passive."
2. Explain the variation titled "Notation."
3. Why might the variation "Cockney" be difficult to read?
4. What does "Another Subjectivity" reveal about the relationship between the young man and the second man?
5. How and why does the author use parentheses so frequently in "Distinguo?"
6. Wright says Exercises in Style was one of the books Queneau wanted translated. What is her reaction?
7. How does the author make the variation "Insistence" seem insistent to the reader?
8. Why are the details in the variation "Dream" vague?
9. Why do you think Queneau begins with the variation "Notation?"
10. Explain the basic story in Exercises in Style.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of the young man's hat in the basic story and variations.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author break down language--phrases and words--in the variations? What is the affect this process has?
Essay Topic 3
What is the theme of Exercises in Style? How do you know?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)