|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the hat described in Retrograde?
2. Where was the narrator when he saw the man again in Past?
3. What is unusual about Prognostication?
4. What publication is the translation based on?
5. According to Metaphorically, where did the narrator see the man again?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain at least three differences between the variations "Past" and "Present."
2. What is a metaphor, and how does it apply to the variation titled "Metaphorically?"
3. What does the use of onomatopoeia in the variation "Onomatopoeia" accomplish for the reader?
4. What is common among the narrators in "Speaking Personally," "Exclamations," and "You Know?"
5. Explain some of the differences between "Official Letter" and "Blurb."
6. How are readers able to understand the invented words in the variation "Word Composition?"
7. Explain the variation titled "Notation."
8. In the Preface, what does Queneau say is his purpose in writing Exercises in Style? What did Queneau say the finished product acts as?
9. What does Wright say is the point of Exercises in Style?
10. Explain the variation "Cross Examination."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the variation "Unexpected" fit into the theme of pointlessness in Exercises in Style?
Essay Topic 2
How is punctuation used in the variations of Exercises in Style? How does this contribute to exploring the flexibility of language?
Essay Topic 3
How do the sounds of the words in some variations of Exercises in Style affect the reading of those variations?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)