|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sense is the focus of Gustatory?
2. How is the bus described in Tactile?
(a) Metallic-tasting, like a fork.
(c) Low and rumbling, like approaching thunder.
(d) Steely gray.
3. What does the literary term "apostrophe" mean? (Not the punctuation mark.)
(a) A character used to highlight a specific trait in another character.
(b) An address to an inanimate object.
(c) A reference to a well known historical or religious person, event, or idea.
(d) A seventeen-line poem using a specific rhyme scheme and repetition.
4. To what animal is the man's neck compared in Zoological?
5. What language is English blended with in Gallicisms?
(c) West Indian.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal describes the young man in Portrait?
2. How is Telegraphic signed?
3. What is one characteristic of Philosophic?
4. What is the gender of the narrator of Feminine?
5. What is one characteristic of Telegraphic?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the basic story is changed in "Antiphrasis."
2. Why are the variations in Section 8 put together?
3. Explain the variation "Reactionary," and why it is titled "Reactionary."
4. What elements of the variation "Spectral" make it gothic?
5. Explain the variation "Consequences."
6. Explain how the author can write the variation "Gustatory" without tasting anything that happens in the story?
7. Why is the variation "For Ze Frrensh" considered comical? Why is this variation put in place of "Poor lay Zanglay" in the English version of Exercises in Style?
8. Explain the variation "Olfactory."
9. What makes the variation "Awkward" seem awkward?
10. Why do you think the author includes the variation "Feminine?"
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)