|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sense is the focus of Gustatory?
2. What is the date of writing of Spectral?
3. What variation is Back Slang replacing in Exercises in Style?
4. How is the bus identified in Proper Names?
5. Who is Monseiur Andre in Ode?
(a) An observer.
(b) The bus driver.
(c) The second man.
(d) The first man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sense is the focus of Tactile?
2. What sense is the focus of Auditory?
3. Why is the narrator of Feminine irritated at the other passengers?
4. What is one characteristic of Telegraphic?
5. To what animal is the man's neck compared in Zoological?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes the variation "Awkward" seem awkward?
2. Why might the variation "More or Less" be easier to read aloud?
3. Explain the variation "Olfactory."
4. Why is the variation "For Ze Frrensh" considered comical? Why is this variation put in place of "Poor lay Zanglay" in the English version of Exercises in Style?
5. Explain how the basic story is changed in "Antiphrasis."
6. What affect does "Proper Noun" create by replacing common nouns with proper names?
7. What makes the variation "Abusive" so confrontational?
8. Why does Raymond Queneau include variations containing unintelligible words and phrases, such as in the "Permutations" variations?
9. What makes the narrator in the variation "Biased" a biased narrator?
10. What elements of the variation "Spectral" make it gothic?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)