|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the Permutations exercises virtually incomprehensible?
(a) The words are chosen at random.
(b) The words are out of order in the sentences.
(c) They break down the words.
(d) The words are written in French.
2. Who is revealed to be the young man's friend in Unexpected?
3. What sound is interjected throughout Parechesis?
4. How many lines are in Haiku?
5. What variation is Back Slang replacing in Exercises in Style?
Short Answer Questions
1. What terminology characterizes Botanical?
2. What makes Ode unique compared to all other variations in Exercises in Style?
3. How does the narrator of Modern Style describe the events witnessed?
4. From what origin are many of the words in Hellenisms?
5. What letters are mixed up with adjoining words in Spoonerisms?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the variation "Olfactory."
2. Compare and contrast "Back Slang" and "Dog Latin."
3. What makes the variation "Abusive" so confrontational?
4. Explain how "Ode" is different from the rest of the variations.
5. Explain the variation "Consequences."
6. Why might the variation "More or Less" be easier to read aloud?
7. What makes the narrator in the variation "Biased" a biased narrator?
8. What is the style of the variation "Modern Style?" How do you know?
9. What is a haiku and how is it used in Exercises in Style?
10. Explain how the author can write the variation "Gustatory" without tasting anything that happens in the story?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)