|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is personified in Noble?
(a) The man's toes.
(d) The hat.
2. From where are letters and syllables missing in Syncope?
(a) The middle of words.
(b) The end of words.
(c) The beginning of sentences.
(d) The beginning of words.
3. How is the man's overcoat described in The Rainbow?
(a) Lacking a button.
4. What replaced the ribbon on the hat in Dream?
(a) A bit of crafter's twine.
(c) Some cotton from an apron string.
(d) A piece of plaited string.
5. What complaint does the man have in Polyptotes?
(a) His neck is being twisted.
(b) His ribs are being jabbed into.
(c) His shoulder is being wrenched.
(d) His toes are being treaded on.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were on the bus in Hesitation?
2. How is the voice of the man described in Insistence?
3. What was the man doing two hours later in Narrative?
4. Why does the narrator of Word Game describe the man as ridiculous?
5. How many words are listed at the start of Word Game?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the basic story in Exercises in Style.
2. What does "Another Subjectivity" reveal about the relationship between the young man and the second man?
3. Explain some of the differences between "Official Letter" and "Blurb."
4. What do you learn about the narrator of "Ignorance" from reading the variation?
5. How are the variations "Comedy" and "Asides" alike?
6. What does Wright say is the point of Exercises in Style?
7. How and why does the author use parentheses so frequently in "Distinguo?"
8. How are readers able to understand the invented words in the variation "Word Composition?"
9. Explain at least three differences between the variations "Past" and "Present."
10. Why are the details in the variation "Dream" vague?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)