|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what bus does the story take place?
2. How is Insistence similar to Double Entry?
(a) Both use frequent commas.
(b) Both use repetition.
(c) Both use lengthy descriptions.
(d) Both name the narrator.
3. What is different about the appearance of Official Letter?
(a) The margins.
(b) The font size.
(c) The orientation of the page.
(d) The typeface.
4. What needed to be added to the man's overcoat in Homeoptotes?
5. Who is the translator of Exercises in Style?
(a) Barbara Wright.
(b) A. S. Byatt.
(c) Raymond Queneau.
(d) There is no translator; it was written in English.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the hat described in Retrograde?
2. What is unusual about Anagrams?
3. What is unusual about Precision?
4. According to Metaphorically, where did the narrator see the man again?
5. What word is misspelled and corrected in Official Letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain at least three differences between the variations "Past" and "Present."
2. Explain the variation "Cross Examination."
3. Explain the basic story in Exercises in Style.
4. How and why does the author use parentheses so frequently in "Distinguo?"
5. Why might the variation "Cockney" be difficult to read?
6. How are the variations "Comedy" and "Asides" alike?
7. Explain some of the differences between "Official Letter" and "Blurb."
8. What is "litotes," and how does it apply to the variation of the same name?
9. How are readers able to understand the invented words in the variation "Word Composition?"
10. Compare and contrast "Apheresis" and "Apocope."
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)