|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the only things that never meet, according to the narrator of Speaking Personally?
2. What replaced the ribbon on the hat in Dream?
(a) A piece of plaited string.
(c) Some cotton from an apron string.
(d) A bit of crafter's twine.
3. What is the first variation given in Exercises in Style?
4. What is the name of the novelist in Blurb?
(a) The Novelist.
(b) Raymond Queneau.
(c) Barbara Wright.
(d) Novelist X.
5. Who did the young man speak to, according to Litotes?
(a) The man next to him.
(b) A seated woman.
(c) The bus driver.
(d) The narrator.
Short Answer Questions
1. What takes the place for Italianismes in the book?
2. How did the argument end in Hesitation?
3. What makes Synchysis more difficult to read?
4. What word is misspelled and corrected in Official Letter?
5. According to the Preface, what does the Paris metro smell like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you learn about the narrator of "Ignorance" from reading the variation?
2. Compare and contrast the two "Subjectivity" variations.
3. Explain the variation "Cross Examination."
4. Explain the variation titled "Notation."
5. What is an Alexandrine sonnet, and what are the rhyme scheme and meter used in "Alexandrines?"
6. Explain the basic story in Exercises in Style.
7. Wright says Exercises in Style was one of the books Queneau wanted translated. What is her reaction?
8. What is common among the narrators in "Speaking Personally," "Exclamations," and "You Know?"
9. What does Wright say is the point of Exercises in Style?
10. Explain how the words in parentheses are used in the variation "Word Game."
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)