|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the hat described in Insistence?
2. What similarity does The Subjective Side share with Retrograde?
(a) Both include many quotations.
(b) Both are told in reverse.
(c) The two versions share a narrator.
(d) Both give the name of the young man.
3. What is unusual about Precision?
(a) The description of the man's hat is a paragraph long.
(b) There are no details given.
(c) The details are very exact.
(d) The details are very vague.
4. What was the man doing two hours later in Narrative?
(a) Following the second man.
(b) Having a conversation.
(c) Waiting for another bus.
(d) Looking for a tailor shop.
5. How is the man's overcoat described in The Rainbow?
(b) Lacking a button.
6. What is the point of view of Present?
(a) Third-person present tense.
(b) Third-person past tense.
(c) Second-person present tense.
(d) First-person present tense.
7. What are the only things that never meet, according to the narrator of Speaking Personally?
8. What is the third reaction given when the author of the Preface explains what work is being done?
(b) "How long have you been working on that?"
(c) "Can I read it?"
9. According to Metaphorically, where did the narrator see the man again?
(a) Between the glass-adorned mountains.
(b) In a bleak, urban desert.
(c) In the slanting afternoon sun.
(d) On a concrete river some ways away.
10. What is the young man drinking in Metaphorically?
11. What is one set of exercises mentioned in the possible exercises in style list?
(a) The Psalms.
(b) The Seven Deadly Sins.
(c) The Days of the Week.
(d) A Day in the Life of a Writer.
12. How does the narrator describe the man's hat in Speaking Personally?
13. How is the voice of the man described in Insistence?
14. Where did the narrator meet the man in Retrograde?
(a) The Louvre.
(b) A train station.
(c) The Cour de Rome.
(d) An S bus.
15. What comparison does the narrator make about himself in Noble?
(a) Red Indian.
(c) East Indian.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many variations of the basic story were created by 1946?
2. What is one substitution made in the book from the original?
3. What is the narrator not displeased with in The Subjective Side?
4. From where are letters and syllables missing in Apheresis?
5. What needs to be repaired on the man's coat?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)