|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the narrator meet the man in Retrograde?
(a) An S bus.
(b) A train station.
(c) The Cour de Rome.
(d) The Louvre.
2. What word is misspelled and corrected in Official Letter?
3. How long after the bus ride is the man seen again by the narrator, according to Double Entry?
(a) The next day.
(b) Two hours.
(c) That afternoon.
(d) Immediately following.
4. Who told the story to the narrator of Reported Speech?
(a) The second man.
(b) Dr. Queneau.
(c) The young man.
(d) Barbara Wright.
5. How did the argument end in Hesitation?
(a) In a draw.
(b) It didn't.
(c) A commonplace way.
(d) With a dramatic flourish.
6. From where are letters and syllables missing in Apheresis?
(a) The middle of words.
(b) The beginnings of sentences.
(c) The beginnings of words.
(d) The ends of words.
7. Who wrote "Notes for the 1981 American Paperback Edition"?
(a) Raymond Queneau.
(b) Barbara Wright.
(c) Raymond Carver.
(d) A. S. Byatt.
8. What was happening to the passengers in Passive?
(a) They were being watched by the sun.
(b) They were being jostled along.
(c) They were being squashed together.
(d) They were being rushed through the streets.
9. According to Metaphorically, where did the narrator see the man again?
(a) In the slanting afternoon sun.
(b) On a concrete river some ways away.
(c) In a bleak, urban desert.
(d) Between the glass-adorned mountains.
10. How is the man's tone described in Synchysis?
11. What is the overall impression of the novel, according to Blurb?
12. What is the young man wearing when he is seen again in Reported Speech?
(a) A cummerbund.
(b) A vest.
(c) An overcoat.
(d) A felt hat.
13. What is the last piece of information given in Retrograde?
(a) The description of the young man.
(b) The argument between the two men.
(c) The name of the bus.
(d) The time of day.
14. Why did the author stop writing variations by 1946?
(a) He sold the variations that were written to a publisher.
(b) He ran out of ideas for variations.
(c) He judged the number to be sufficient.
(d) He died.
15. What is the name of the novelist in Blurb?
(a) The Novelist.
(b) Novelist X.
(c) Raymond Queneau.
(d) Barbara Wright.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the narrator see the man again in Anagrams?
2. Who did the young man speak to, according to Litotes?
3. What makes Synchysis more difficult to read?
4. How is the bus described in Negativities?
5. What is personified in Noble?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)