|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what do Gary's friends throw his ashes?
2. The priest at the memorial service reminds the guests that, "We knew him as a ______ person. We shall always retain and keep that memory..."
3. What does Gary call those on the Parole Board who do not seek to fulfill the sentence they gave him?
4. How long of a time period after the ruling must a prisoner be executed in?
5. Where is Schiller vacationing as the holidays occur over the years 1976 to 1977?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gary find out about his old cellmate from Utah County Jail in Provo?
2. Who does Boaz think Campbell is when he shows up at his door?
3. Why are Sam Smith, the Warden, and other officials looking over the laws?
4. Why does the Enquirer hire an expert to analyze the stresses in Gary's voice during the interviews?
5. Who is Denniz Boaz and why does he become a part of Gary's case?
6. What does Gary do in response to his new execution date of January 17?
7. Why does Jeff Newman try to push his way into Nicole's house?
8. Describe the Mormon vision Peter Galovan has about Gary.
9. Where is Brenda when Geraldo Rivera calls to get an interview about Gary from her?
10. What does Gary say when asked if he went into the motel and the service station to kill someone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of Nicole is an obviously flawed woman, but she still seems to be Gary's rock and his love throughout the book.
Part 1: What do you think makes Nicole continue to stay with Gary during this book?
Part 2: Do you think Gary truly loves Nicole? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Nicole truly loves Gary? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
As Gary begins to sell his story, it seems that truth is not the most important part of the deal. The buyers simply want to tell the sensational story.
Part 1: Why wouldn't truth be an important part of telling Gary's story?
Part 2: Why weren't the families of his victims contacted?
Part 3: Why does Gary want a portion of the proceeds from his publicity to go to the families of his victims?
Essay Topic 3
The suicide theme is one that recurs during the story, with various players attempting to take their own life.
Part 1: When Nicole and Gary make a suicide pact, do you think Gary meant to go through with it? Why or why not?
Part 2: What do you think the goal of Nicole and Gary's suicide pact was? Why?
Part 3: Why does Gary turn to suicide after hearing his execution date has been changed?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)