|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is State Patrolman Jerry Scott called in to do in regards to Gary's body?
2. What does Boaz have to do because the officers believe he is the one who sneaked sleeping pills into Gary?
3. Who is the pot-smoking, hippie-like, former prosecuting attorney from Boalt Hall?
4. Who is pissed off at Schiller for not being able to attend Gary's memorial service?
5. The US Supreme Court decided that the press does not have a constitutional right to enter prisons to ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What gives Schiller a leg up in the competition to get the rights to Gary's story?
2. Why does the Enquirer hire an expert to analyze the stresses in Gary's voice during the interviews?
3. Why is Schiller in Hawaii as Gary continues to be interviewed by the media?
4. Why does Jeff Newman try to push his way into Nicole's house?
5. What does Gary do in response to his new execution date of January 17?
6. What does the signal of rubbing his chin mean Schiller wants Gary to do during an interview with the media?
7. What are Stephanie, her mother, and Schiller's mother going to do that they are hiding from Gary?
8. Why can't Gary eat pizza along with the other friends of his when they visit in the prison?
9. Who does Boaz think Campbell is when he shows up at his door?
10. What happens to Nicole after she is released from the state hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The presence of sex in this story seems to be truly 'sex' rather than the idea of making love.
Part 1: Why does Nicole use sex during this story? What does it seem to provide for her?
Part 2: How does Gary use sex in this story? What does he seem to get in return?
Part 3: What does the author seem to be saying about sex and its relationship to violence?
Essay Topic 2
The character of Nicole is an obviously flawed woman, but she still seems to be Gary's rock and his love throughout the book.
Part 1: What do you think makes Nicole continue to stay with Gary during this book?
Part 2: Do you think Gary truly loves Nicole? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Nicole truly loves Gary? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In the end, Gary is surrounded by his family and friends as he spends his final night on the Earth.
Part 1: Why are Gary's family and friends so supportive of him?
Part 2: Why didn't Gary's family and friends fight harder for him to stay alive?
Part 3: If you were a family member of Gary's, what would you have done when you found out he was sentenced to death?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)