|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the doctor say when the doctor finds out about Gary's death? "Oh, that's really too bad. They should have _______ him a long time ago."
2. What is Gary's eventual new execution date, as prescribed by the judge?
3. Who is the warden at Utah State Penitentiary that tries to keep all of the reporters out, although he lets Boaz in?
4. Who seems to have the inside track with Gary since he has a verbal agreement with Boaz?
5. What has Gary already willed to others?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Schiller realize when he is already inside the prison's fence?
2. What does Gary do in response to his new execution date of January 17?
3. What does Schiller mistakenly do in regards to Nicole?
4. What gives Schiller a leg up in the competition to get the rights to Gary's story?
5. Why can't Gary eat pizza along with the other friends of his when they visit in the prison?
6. Who is Denniz Boaz and why does he become a part of Gary's case?
7. What does Earl Dorius find out in a phone call the night before Gary's execution?
8. What do Moody and Sanger do when they are visiting Gary at the prison?
9. Why does Jeff Newman try to push his way into Nicole's house?
10. Describe the Mormon vision Peter Galovan has about Gary.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During this story, it seem that Gary has two different versions of reality - that which is true and that which he imagines in his head.
Part 1: In what ways is Gary's perception of reality false? Cite specific examples.
Part 2: In what ways does Gary seem to be grounded in reality? Cite specific examples.
Part 3: What does Gary's constant fantasies seem to say about his mental state?
Essay Topic 2
One's image of themselves seems to spurn on that person's actions as well.
Part 1: How does Nicole see herself? What actions does she take as a result of this self image?
Part 2: How does Gary see himself? What actions does he take as a result of his self image?
Part 3: Would changing one's self image change one's actions? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The control Gary seems to have over Nicole affects not only her, but also him. He seems consumed by her at times.
Part 1: Why do you think Gary manipulated Nicole into trying to take her life?
Part 2: Why do you think Gary and Nicole continue to stay with each other?
Part 3: In what ways does Nicole have control over Gary?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)