|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who works with the ACLU to get a stay on the execution?
2. The US Supreme Court decided that the press does not have a constitutional right to enter prisons to ____________.
3. What does Earl end up preventing as a result of his legal actions to prevent the media access to Gary?
4. Which judge considers himself to be a bastion of good sense in a desert of craziness?
5. What has Gary already willed to others?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Earl Dorius do in order to stop the reporters and other interviews from having access to Gary?
2. What do the media do since no one has any access to Gary and to his story?
3. Why are Sam Smith, the Warden, and other officials looking over the laws?
4. Describe the Mormon vision Peter Galovan has about Gary.
5. Why does the Warden allow Boaz to interview Gary?
6. What gives Schiller a leg up in the competition to get the rights to Gary's story?
7. Why is Schiller in Hawaii as Gary continues to be interviewed by the media?
8. Why does Jeff Newman try to push his way into Nicole's house?
9. What evidence is presented in the book which leads the reader to believe Gary was not serious about killing himself?
10. What happens to Nicole after she is released from the state hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gary seems to use violence as a reaction to things he can not control in his life. This causes disastrous consequences for all involved.
Part 1: Describe two situations in which Gary uses violence when he is frustrated.
Part 2: Does it seem that Gary really wants to be violent? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why might Gary think violence is the only way to handle his feelings?
Essay Topic 2
One's image of themselves seems to spurn on that person's actions as well.
Part 1: How does Nicole see herself? What actions does she take as a result of this self image?
Part 2: How does Gary see himself? What actions does he take as a result of his self image?
Part 3: Would changing one's self image change one's actions? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The character of Nicole is an obviously flawed woman, but she still seems to be Gary's rock and his love throughout the book.
Part 1: What do you think makes Nicole continue to stay with Gary during this book?
Part 2: Do you think Gary truly loves Nicole? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Nicole truly loves Gary? Why or why not?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)