|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tamara Smith do in order to get more of the story on Gary?
2. Why does Gary have a temper tantrum which leads to his being forced to spend Christmas in solitary?
3. Where does Nicole hide the pills she is sneaking in to Gary?
4. What kind of pills does Nicole find in order to go through with her and Gary's suicide pact?
5. What kind of car does Gibbs buy on his way out of town, away from Gary and the theft ring?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gary say when asked if he went into the motel and the service station to kill someone?
2. Why does the Enquirer hire an expert to analyze the stresses in Gary's voice during the interviews?
3. What evidence is presented in the book which leads the reader to believe Gary was not serious about killing himself?
4. What do the media do since no one has any access to Gary and to his story?
5. Why is Schiller in Hawaii as Gary continues to be interviewed by the media?
6. What happens to Nicole after she ingests the very large dose of Seconal?
7. What are the refreshments provided to Gary on his last night before the execution?
8. What gives Schiller a leg up in the competition to get the rights to Gary's story?
9. What does Schiller mistakenly do in regards to Nicole?
10. What does Gary do in response to his new execution date of January 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Gary seems to have had some rough times in his life, he also seems willing to make changes as needed.
Part 1: Describe what Gary does after his first prison term to begin a new life in a positive direction.
Part 2: What are some of the ways Gary sabotages his future?
Part 3: Why do you think Gary doesn't stick on the positive path he began?
Essay Topic 2
At one point of the story, Gary decides he does not want to be saved by legal actions. He just wants to die.
Part 1: Why do you think Gary just wants to be executed? Why doesn't he fight for his life?
Part 2: Do you think Gary really wants to die? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Gary could have avoided the death sentence? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
One's image of themselves seems to spurn on that person's actions as well.
Part 1: How does Nicole see herself? What actions does she take as a result of this self image?
Part 2: How does Gary see himself? What actions does he take as a result of his self image?
Part 3: Would changing one's self image change one's actions? Why or why not?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)