|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Schiller get a check for $50,000 in order to secure Gary's story?
2. What does Schiller feel he needs to do with Gary in order to make his planned book and film production work?
3. Who works with the ACLU to get a stay on the execution?
4. What are Stephanie, her mother, and Schiller's mother planning to try to sell to overseas markets?
5. Why does Gary nod off during interviews and fall off his chair while talking to his lawyers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Warden allow Boaz to interview Gary?
2. What does Earl Dorius find out in a phone call the night before Gary's execution?
3. What does Schiller realize when he is already inside the prison's fence?
4. Why are Sam Smith, the Warden, and other officials looking over the laws?
5. What happens to Nicole after she is released from the state hospital?
6. What happens to Nicole after she ingests the very large dose of Seconal?
7. Who does Boaz think Campbell is when he shows up at his door?
8. What do the media do since no one has any access to Gary and to his story?
9. What does the signal of rubbing his chin mean Schiller wants Gary to do during an interview with the media?
10. What evidence is presented in the book which leads the reader to believe Gary was not serious about killing himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One's image of themselves seems to spurn on that person's actions as well.
Part 1: How does Nicole see herself? What actions does she take as a result of this self image?
Part 2: How does Gary see himself? What actions does he take as a result of his self image?
Part 3: Would changing one's self image change one's actions? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The character of Nicole is an obviously flawed woman, but she still seems to be Gary's rock and his love throughout the book.
Part 1: What do you think makes Nicole continue to stay with Gary during this book?
Part 2: Do you think Gary truly loves Nicole? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Nicole truly loves Gary? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
While Gary seems to have had some rough times in his life, he also seems willing to make changes as needed.
Part 1: Describe what Gary does after his first prison term to begin a new life in a positive direction.
Part 2: What are some of the ways Gary sabotages his future?
Part 3: Why do you think Gary doesn't stick on the positive path he began?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)