|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nickname Nicole is given by Gary, although it only comes up in their letters?
2. The night before his execution, Gary and his friends enjoy "A Night of Dancing and Light ____________."
3. What does Boaz have to do because the officers believe he is the one who sneaked sleeping pills into Gary?
4. Which killing was easier, according to Gary?
5. Who does Gary want a phone call from in order to stop his hunger strike?
Essay Topic 1
The idea of the death penalty is an obvious point of discussion in this story and continues to be a point of discussion in society as a whole.
Part 1: What are the reasons that Gary's actions deserve the death penalty?
Part 2: What are the reasons against Gary deserving the death penalty
Part 3: Do you think Gary deserves to die? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The trick with the character of Gary is that he seems to be someone you can both hate and understand. This can cause the reader to not know what to think.
Part 1: Cite at least two examples of things which may be considered admirable in Gary.
Part 2: Cite at least two examples of things which may be considered detestable in Gary.
Part 3: Do you think Gary is a good person or a bad person? What were your reactions to him in the story?
Essay Topic 3
The character of Nicole is an obviously flawed woman, but she still seems to be Gary's rock and his love throughout the book.
Part 1: What do you think makes Nicole continue to stay with Gary during this book?
Part 2: Do you think Gary truly loves Nicole? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Nicole truly loves Gary? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,616 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)