|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who turns out to have been working undercover for several government agencies?
2. What does Gary call those on the Parole Board who do not seek to fulfill the sentence they gave him?
3. From what do Gary's friends throw his ashes?
4. Where does Schiller get a check for $50,000 in order to secure Gary's story?
5. What does Schiller feel he needs to do with Gary in order to make his planned book and film production work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jeff Newman try to push his way into Nicole's house?
2. Why have Warden Sam Smith and others at the prison been keeping the reporters away from Gary?
3. Why are Sam Smith, the Warden, and other officials looking over the laws?
4. Where are Gary's ashes spread after his death, suitably illegally spread?
5. What does Gary do in response to his new execution date of January 17?
6. What happens to Nicole after she ingests the very large dose of Seconal?
7. What does Gary find out about his old cellmate from Utah County Jail in Provo?
8. Who is Denniz Boaz and why does he become a part of Gary's case?
9. What do Moody and Sanger do when they are visiting Gary at the prison?
10. What does Schiller mistakenly do in regards to Nicole?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of Nicole is an obviously flawed woman, but she still seems to be Gary's rock and his love throughout the book.
Part 1: What do you think makes Nicole continue to stay with Gary during this book?
Part 2: Do you think Gary truly loves Nicole? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Nicole truly loves Gary? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of nature versus nurture is an obvious theme in this story. One might suppose that Gary was the product of his upbringing, while others might suggest he was simply an evil person.
Part 1: Cite at least two examples of supporting evidence that the environment was the cause of Gary's behavior.
Part 2: Cite at least two examples of supporting evidence that suggests Gary is simply an evil person.
Part 3: What do you think? Do you think Gary's environment or his biology led to his actions?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of religion is one that presents itself again and again in this book. The Mormon Church lurks in the background throughout the events of this story.
Part 1: Does Gary seem to be a religious person? Support your answer.
Part 2: Why do you think Campbell thinks it's okay for Gary to be killed by the state?
Part 3: How does the Mormon Church affect Gary's case? If not, why not?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)