|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is taken in as the agent fro Gary during the setting of the rights to Gary's story?
2. Who does Gary want a phone call from in order to stop his hunger strike?
3. Who is the print journalist that is making his debut with CBS Live and wants an interview with Gary?
4. Who works with the ACLU to get a stay on the execution?
5. Where does Nicole eventually end up, even though she was settling well into a new life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Boaz think Campbell is when he shows up at his door?
2. What happens to Nicole after she is released from the state hospital?
3. Describe the Mormon vision Peter Galovan has about Gary.
4. What does Schiller realize when he is already inside the prison's fence?
5. Where is Brenda when Geraldo Rivera calls to get an interview about Gary from her?
6. Why are Sam Smith, the Warden, and other officials looking over the laws?
7. Why can't Gary eat pizza along with the other friends of his when they visit in the prison?
8. Why does Jeff Newman try to push his way into Nicole's house?
9. What does Earl Dorius do in order to stop the reporters and other interviews from having access to Gary?
10. Why have Warden Sam Smith and others at the prison been keeping the reporters away from Gary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Gary seems to have had some rough times in his life, he also seems willing to make changes as needed.
Part 1: Describe what Gary does after his first prison term to begin a new life in a positive direction.
Part 2: What are some of the ways Gary sabotages his future?
Part 3: Why do you think Gary doesn't stick on the positive path he began?
Essay Topic 2
The trick with the character of Gary is that he seems to be someone you can both hate and understand. This can cause the reader to not know what to think.
Part 1: Cite at least two examples of things which may be considered admirable in Gary.
Part 2: Cite at least two examples of things which may be considered detestable in Gary.
Part 3: Do you think Gary is a good person or a bad person? What were your reactions to him in the story?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of the death penalty is an obvious point of discussion in this story and continues to be a point of discussion in society as a whole.
Part 1: What are the reasons that Gary's actions deserve the death penalty?
Part 2: What are the reasons against Gary deserving the death penalty
Part 3: Do you think Gary deserves to die? Why or why not?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)