|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who seems to have the inside track with Gary since he has a verbal agreement with Boaz?
2. What does the answer to #98 now do for a living?
3. The night before his execution, Gary and his friends enjoy "A Night of Dancing and Light ____________."
4. How often do the two lawyers for Gary still visit him each day?
5. Which newspaper goes to a judge in order to stop the prison's stance on no-interviews?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Enquirer hire an expert to analyze the stresses in Gary's voice during the interviews?
2. What does Earl Dorius find out in a phone call the night before Gary's execution?
3. What does Gary find out about his old cellmate from Utah County Jail in Provo?
4. What happens to Nicole after she is released from the state hospital?
5. What does Gary do in response to his new execution date of January 17?
6. Why have Warden Sam Smith and others at the prison been keeping the reporters away from Gary?
7. Describe the Mormon vision Peter Galovan has about Gary.
8. Why is Schiller in Hawaii as Gary continues to be interviewed by the media?
9. What does the signal of rubbing his chin mean Schiller wants Gary to do during an interview with the media?
10. What happens to Nicole after she ingests the very large dose of Seconal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of family in this story is a muddled one. Both Gary and Nicole seem to have had troubles with the male figures in their lives, which may have led to their current issues.
Part 1: Describe the troubles of Nicole as she grew up in her family.
Part 2: What might have impacted Gary in relation to his male family relationships?
Part 3: If these characters had positive male role models, do you think they would have turned out differently? Why or why not? How?
Essay Topic 2
Gary seems to use violence as a reaction to things he can not control in his life. This causes disastrous consequences for all involved.
Part 1: Describe two situations in which Gary uses violence when he is frustrated.
Part 2: Does it seem that Gary really wants to be violent? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why might Gary think violence is the only way to handle his feelings?
Essay Topic 3
The presence of sex in this story seems to be truly 'sex' rather than the idea of making love.
Part 1: Why does Nicole use sex during this story? What does it seem to provide for her?
Part 2: How does Gary use sex in this story? What does he seem to get in return?
Part 3: What does the author seem to be saying about sex and its relationship to violence?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)