|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nickname Nicole is given by Gary, although it only comes up in their letters?
2. Which killing was easier, according to Gary?
3. What are Gary's second to last words before he is killed?
4. Where does Nicole eventually end up, even though she was settling well into a new life?
5. What is State Patrolman Jerry Scott called in to do in regards to Gary's body?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence is presented in the book which leads the reader to believe Gary was not serious about killing himself?
2. Why does the Warden allow Boaz to interview Gary?
3. Why are Sam Smith, the Warden, and other officials looking over the laws?
4. What does Gary find out about his old cellmate from Utah County Jail in Provo?
5. What does Gary say when asked if he went into the motel and the service station to kill someone?
6. Why does the Enquirer hire an expert to analyze the stresses in Gary's voice during the interviews?
7. What do the media do since no one has any access to Gary and to his story?
8. What are Stephanie, her mother, and Schiller's mother going to do that they are hiding from Gary?
9. What happens to Nicole after she ingests the very large dose of Seconal?
10. Why can't Gary eat pizza along with the other friends of his when they visit in the prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the end, Gary is surrounded by his family and friends as he spends his final night on the Earth.
Part 1: Why are Gary's family and friends so supportive of him?
Part 2: Why didn't Gary's family and friends fight harder for him to stay alive?
Part 3: If you were a family member of Gary's, what would you have done when you found out he was sentenced to death?
Essay Topic 2
As Gary begins to sell his story, it seems that truth is not the most important part of the deal. The buyers simply want to tell the sensational story.
Part 1: Why wouldn't truth be an important part of telling Gary's story?
Part 2: Why weren't the families of his victims contacted?
Part 3: Why does Gary want a portion of the proceeds from his publicity to go to the families of his victims?
Essay Topic 3
The trick with the character of Gary is that he seems to be someone you can both hate and understand. This can cause the reader to not know what to think.
Part 1: Cite at least two examples of things which may be considered admirable in Gary.
Part 2: Cite at least two examples of things which may be considered detestable in Gary.
Part 3: Do you think Gary is a good person or a bad person? What were your reactions to him in the story?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)