|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what do Gary's friends throw his ashes?
2. Who does Gary contact in order to get the new attorney in his corner to argue the stay?
3. What does Boaz get from the answer to #113 that allows him to confess his innocence in getting Gary sleeping pills?
4. What does Schiller feel he needs to do with Gary in order to make his planned book and film production work?
5. For what magazine is the interview that Farrell is working out as Schiller is on vacation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the signal of rubbing his chin mean Schiller wants Gary to do during an interview with the media?
2. What does Earl Dorius find out in a phone call the night before Gary's execution?
3. Where are Gary's ashes spread after his death, suitably illegally spread?
4. Why are Sam Smith, the Warden, and other officials looking over the laws?
5. What does Earl Dorius do in order to stop the reporters and other interviews from having access to Gary?
6. What do the media do since no one has any access to Gary and to his story?
7. Why can't Gary eat pizza along with the other friends of his when they visit in the prison?
8. What are the refreshments provided to Gary on his last night before the execution?
9. What happens to Nicole after she ingests the very large dose of Seconal?
10. Who is Denniz Boaz and why does he become a part of Gary's case?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The trick with the character of Gary is that he seems to be someone you can both hate and understand. This can cause the reader to not know what to think.
Part 1: Cite at least two examples of things which may be considered admirable in Gary.
Part 2: Cite at least two examples of things which may be considered detestable in Gary.
Part 3: Do you think Gary is a good person or a bad person? What were your reactions to him in the story?
Essay Topic 2
In the end, Gary is surrounded by his family and friends as he spends his final night on the Earth.
Part 1: Why are Gary's family and friends so supportive of him?
Part 2: Why didn't Gary's family and friends fight harder for him to stay alive?
Part 3: If you were a family member of Gary's, what would you have done when you found out he was sentenced to death?
Essay Topic 3
Grace, Gary's apologist, continues to believe he does not deserve to die, that there were other reasons for his actions.
Part 1: Describe the two reasons why Grace thinks Gary may not deserve to be punished.
Part 2: Why would someone like Grace stick up for Gary?
Part 3: If you were in a similar position as Grace, would you have stuck up for Gary? Why or why not?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)