|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who seems to have the inside track with Gary since he has a verbal agreement with Boaz?
2. To whom does Gary offer $5000 for a change of clothes so he can escape?
3. Larry Schiller is a former ________ photographer turned sensationalist writer and wanna-be documentary producer.
4. Who insists that a bulk of the proceeds derived from the deal with Schiller go to benefit the children of Gary's victims?
5. Who is the print journalist that is making his debut with CBS Live and wants an interview with Gary?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Brenda when Geraldo Rivera calls to get an interview about Gary from her?
2. What are Stephanie, her mother, and Schiller's mother going to do that they are hiding from Gary?
3. What does Gary say when asked if he went into the motel and the service station to kill someone?
4. What do Moody and Sanger do when they are visiting Gary at the prison?
5. What do the media do since no one has any access to Gary and to his story?
6. Why have Warden Sam Smith and others at the prison been keeping the reporters away from Gary?
7. What evidence is presented in the book which leads the reader to believe Gary was not serious about killing himself?
8. Who does Boaz think Campbell is when he shows up at his door?
9. What does Gary do in response to his new execution date of January 17?
10. Why is Schiller in Hawaii as Gary continues to be interviewed by the media?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point of the story, Gary decides he does not want to be saved by legal actions. He just wants to die.
Part 1: Why do you think Gary just wants to be executed? Why doesn't he fight for his life?
Part 2: Do you think Gary really wants to die? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Gary could have avoided the death sentence? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
While Gary seems to have had some rough times in his life, he also seems willing to make changes as needed.
Part 1: Describe what Gary does after his first prison term to begin a new life in a positive direction.
Part 2: What are some of the ways Gary sabotages his future?
Part 3: Why do you think Gary doesn't stick on the positive path he began?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of religion is one that presents itself again and again in this book. The Mormon Church lurks in the background throughout the events of this story.
Part 1: Does Gary seem to be a religious person? Support your answer.
Part 2: Why do you think Campbell thinks it's okay for Gary to be killed by the state?
Part 3: How does the Mormon Church affect Gary's case? If not, why not?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)