|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Schiller get a check for $50,000 in order to secure Gary's story?
2. Where is Schiller vacationing as the holidays occur over the years 1976 to 1977?
3. __________ is undecided whether or not he wants to pursue a stay against his brother's wishes.
4. When others tell Gary he needs to get back at Gibbs, what does Gary say? "I can __________ from here."
5. Who insists that a bulk of the proceeds derived from the deal with Schiller go to benefit the children of Gary's victims?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the signal of rubbing his chin mean Schiller wants Gary to do during an interview with the media?
2. Who does Boaz think Campbell is when he shows up at his door?
3. What gives Schiller a leg up in the competition to get the rights to Gary's story?
4. What are the refreshments provided to Gary on his last night before the execution?
5. Where are Gary's ashes spread after his death, suitably illegally spread?
6. What does Gary say when asked if he went into the motel and the service station to kill someone?
7. Why are Sam Smith, the Warden, and other officials looking over the laws?
8. What does Earl Dorius do in order to stop the reporters and other interviews from having access to Gary?
9. Why does Jeff Newman try to push his way into Nicole's house?
10. What does Gary do in response to his new execution date of January 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The suicide theme is one that recurs during the story, with various players attempting to take their own life.
Part 1: When Nicole and Gary make a suicide pact, do you think Gary meant to go through with it? Why or why not?
Part 2: What do you think the goal of Nicole and Gary's suicide pact was? Why?
Part 3: Why does Gary turn to suicide after hearing his execution date has been changed?
Essay Topic 2
The role of family in this story is a muddled one. Both Gary and Nicole seem to have had troubles with the male figures in their lives, which may have led to their current issues.
Part 1: Describe the troubles of Nicole as she grew up in her family.
Part 2: What might have impacted Gary in relation to his male family relationships?
Part 3: If these characters had positive male role models, do you think they would have turned out differently? Why or why not? How?
Essay Topic 3
The control Gary seems to have over Nicole affects not only her, but also him. He seems consumed by her at times.
Part 1: Why do you think Gary manipulated Nicole into trying to take her life?
Part 2: Why do you think Gary and Nicole continue to stay with each other?
Part 3: In what ways does Nicole have control over Gary?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)