|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Because Boaz is not a member of the Utah bar, he needs a ________ in order to plead Gary's case before the court.
2. What does Schiller make Gary do in order to regulate the questions he is being asked by his lawyers?
3. Who does Gary want a phone call from in order to stop his hunger strike?
4. Who finds the business of selling Gary's letters ghoulish and distasteful?
5. __________ is undecided whether or not he wants to pursue a stay against his brother's wishes.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jeff Newman try to push his way into Nicole's house?
2. What does Schiller mistakenly do in regards to Nicole?
3. What gives Schiller a leg up in the competition to get the rights to Gary's story?
4. What does Gary find out about his old cellmate from Utah County Jail in Provo?
5. Why is Schiller in Hawaii as Gary continues to be interviewed by the media?
6. What does Earl Dorius do in order to stop the reporters and other interviews from having access to Gary?
7. Why are Sam Smith, the Warden, and other officials looking over the laws?
8. What does Schiller realize when he is already inside the prison's fence?
9. What are the refreshments provided to Gary on his last night before the execution?
10. What do the media do since no one has any access to Gary and to his story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several times in the story, Gary gets away with things he has done wrong. This is frustrating for the reader who realizes Gary is tragedy waiting to happen.
Part 1: Why does Gary's parole officer want Gary to get into trouble with the law again?
Part 2: What does Gary's parole office do in order to help Gary avoid jail time?
Part 3: Do you think Gary's parole office shares responsibility for the murders? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
One's image of themselves seems to spurn on that person's actions as well.
Part 1: How does Nicole see herself? What actions does she take as a result of this self image?
Part 2: How does Gary see himself? What actions does he take as a result of his self image?
Part 3: Would changing one's self image change one's actions? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The presence of sex in this story seems to be truly 'sex' rather than the idea of making love.
Part 1: Why does Nicole use sex during this story? What does it seem to provide for her?
Part 2: How does Gary use sex in this story? What does he seem to get in return?
Part 3: What does the author seem to be saying about sex and its relationship to violence?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)