|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Boaz have to do because the officers believe he is the one who sneaked sleeping pills into Gary?
2. Earl Dorius realizes that as the media is let into the prison, the ____________ of the prison becomes lax.
3. Which judge considers himself to be a bastion of good sense in a desert of craziness?
4. The priest at the memorial service reminds the guests that, "We knew him as a ______ person. We shall always retain and keep that memory..."
5. Why does Gary nod off during interviews and fall off his chair while talking to his lawyers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Schiller realize when he is already inside the prison's fence?
2. Why are Sam Smith, the Warden, and other officials looking over the laws?
3. What does Schiller mistakenly do in regards to Nicole?
4. What happens to Nicole after she ingests the very large dose of Seconal?
5. What do Moody and Sanger do when they are visiting Gary at the prison?
6. Why does the Enquirer hire an expert to analyze the stresses in Gary's voice during the interviews?
7. Where are Gary's ashes spread after his death, suitably illegally spread?
8. Who is Denniz Boaz and why does he become a part of Gary's case?
9. What evidence is presented in the book which leads the reader to believe Gary was not serious about killing himself?
10. What does Gary do in response to his new execution date of January 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The control Gary seems to have over Nicole affects not only her, but also him. He seems consumed by her at times.
Part 1: Why do you think Gary manipulated Nicole into trying to take her life?
Part 2: Why do you think Gary and Nicole continue to stay with each other?
Part 3: In what ways does Nicole have control over Gary?
Essay Topic 2
The role of family in this story is a muddled one. Both Gary and Nicole seem to have had troubles with the male figures in their lives, which may have led to their current issues.
Part 1: Describe the troubles of Nicole as she grew up in her family.
Part 2: What might have impacted Gary in relation to his male family relationships?
Part 3: If these characters had positive male role models, do you think they would have turned out differently? Why or why not? How?
Essay Topic 3
The molestation which occurs in this book is vile, though the perpetrators never seem to see the issue with this happening.
Part 1: Describe what happens when Rosebeth is in bed with Gary, Barrett, and Nicole.
Part 2: Why don't the characters think they are doing anything wrong? Or do they?
Part 3: Do you think this situation will cause Rosebeth to become a molester in her lifetime? Why or why not?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)