|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jeff Newman, the man who shows up at Nicole's house the day her body is discovered after her pill overdose, is from what publication?
2. __________ is undecided whether or not he wants to pursue a stay against his brother's wishes.
3. Which newspaper goes to a judge in order to stop the prison's stance on no-interviews?
4. How often do the two lawyers for Gary still visit him each day?
5. Who does Geraldo Rivera try to call in order to get an interview, although he/she is in the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gary say when asked if he went into the motel and the service station to kill someone?
2. What does Earl Dorius do in order to stop the reporters and other interviews from having access to Gary?
3. Where is Brenda when Geraldo Rivera calls to get an interview about Gary from her?
4. What gives Schiller a leg up in the competition to get the rights to Gary's story?
5. What does Gary find out about his old cellmate from Utah County Jail in Provo?
6. What does the signal of rubbing his chin mean Schiller wants Gary to do during an interview with the media?
7. What does Earl Dorius find out in a phone call the night before Gary's execution?
8. What are the refreshments provided to Gary on his last night before the execution?
9. Who is Denniz Boaz and why does he become a part of Gary's case?
10. What do the media do since no one has any access to Gary and to his story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the end, Gary is surrounded by his family and friends as he spends his final night on the Earth.
Part 1: Why are Gary's family and friends so supportive of him?
Part 2: Why didn't Gary's family and friends fight harder for him to stay alive?
Part 3: If you were a family member of Gary's, what would you have done when you found out he was sentenced to death?
Essay Topic 2
Several times in the story, Gary gets away with things he has done wrong. This is frustrating for the reader who realizes Gary is tragedy waiting to happen.
Part 1: Why does Gary's parole officer want Gary to get into trouble with the law again?
Part 2: What does Gary's parole office do in order to help Gary avoid jail time?
Part 3: Do you think Gary's parole office shares responsibility for the murders? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The trick with the character of Gary is that he seems to be someone you can both hate and understand. This can cause the reader to not know what to think.
Part 1: Cite at least two examples of things which may be considered admirable in Gary.
Part 2: Cite at least two examples of things which may be considered detestable in Gary.
Part 3: Do you think Gary is a good person or a bad person? What were your reactions to him in the story?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)