|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the pot-smoking, hippie-like, former prosecuting attorney from Boalt Hall?
2. What is Gary trying which has Sam Smith and other officials looking into laws to change his actions?
3. Which killing was easier, according to Gary?
4. Earl Dorius realizes that as the media is let into the prison, the ____________ of the prison becomes lax.
5. From what do Gary's friends throw his ashes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Warden allow Boaz to interview Gary?
2. Why is Schiller in Hawaii as Gary continues to be interviewed by the media?
3. Who does Boaz think Campbell is when he shows up at his door?
4. What happens to Nicole after she is released from the state hospital?
5. What does Gary find out about his old cellmate from Utah County Jail in Provo?
6. Why does the Enquirer hire an expert to analyze the stresses in Gary's voice during the interviews?
7. Why have Warden Sam Smith and others at the prison been keeping the reporters away from Gary?
8. What does Schiller mistakenly do in regards to Nicole?
9. Why does Jeff Newman try to push his way into Nicole's house?
10. What are Stephanie, her mother, and Schiller's mother going to do that they are hiding from Gary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of Nicole is an obviously flawed woman, but she still seems to be Gary's rock and his love throughout the book.
Part 1: What do you think makes Nicole continue to stay with Gary during this book?
Part 2: Do you think Gary truly loves Nicole? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Nicole truly loves Gary? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of nature versus nurture is an obvious theme in this story. One might suppose that Gary was the product of his upbringing, while others might suggest he was simply an evil person.
Part 1: Cite at least two examples of supporting evidence that the environment was the cause of Gary's behavior.
Part 2: Cite at least two examples of supporting evidence that suggests Gary is simply an evil person.
Part 3: What do you think? Do you think Gary's environment or his biology led to his actions?
Essay Topic 3
One's image of themselves seems to spurn on that person's actions as well.
Part 1: How does Nicole see herself? What actions does she take as a result of this self image?
Part 2: How does Gary see himself? What actions does he take as a result of his self image?
Part 3: Would changing one's self image change one's actions? Why or why not?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)