|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Earl Dorius realizes that as the media is let into the prison, the ____________ of the prison becomes lax.
2. Who does Gary contact in order to get the new attorney in his corner to argue the stay?
3. What does one reporter say about the media's attention to Gary: "Can you believe the attention this cheap ______ is getting?"
4. Who does Geraldo Rivera try to call in order to get an interview, although he/she is in the hospital?
5. Who is already publishing excerpts of the letters of Nicole and Gary?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Brenda when Geraldo Rivera calls to get an interview about Gary from her?
2. What does Schiller realize when he is already inside the prison's fence?
3. What evidence is presented in the book which leads the reader to believe Gary was not serious about killing himself?
4. Why have Warden Sam Smith and others at the prison been keeping the reporters away from Gary?
5. What does Earl Dorius do in order to stop the reporters and other interviews from having access to Gary?
6. What does Gary say when asked if he went into the motel and the service station to kill someone?
7. Why does the Enquirer hire an expert to analyze the stresses in Gary's voice during the interviews?
8. What gives Schiller a leg up in the competition to get the rights to Gary's story?
9. Who does Boaz think Campbell is when he shows up at his door?
10. Why does the Warden allow Boaz to interview Gary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The presence of sex in this story seems to be truly 'sex' rather than the idea of making love.
Part 1: Why does Nicole use sex during this story? What does it seem to provide for her?
Part 2: How does Gary use sex in this story? What does he seem to get in return?
Part 3: What does the author seem to be saying about sex and its relationship to violence?
Essay Topic 2
The suicide theme is one that recurs during the story, with various players attempting to take their own life.
Part 1: When Nicole and Gary make a suicide pact, do you think Gary meant to go through with it? Why or why not?
Part 2: What do you think the goal of Nicole and Gary's suicide pact was? Why?
Part 3: Why does Gary turn to suicide after hearing his execution date has been changed?
Essay Topic 3
The role of family in this story is a muddled one. Both Gary and Nicole seem to have had troubles with the male figures in their lives, which may have led to their current issues.
Part 1: Describe the troubles of Nicole as she grew up in her family.
Part 2: What might have impacted Gary in relation to his male family relationships?
Part 3: If these characters had positive male role models, do you think they would have turned out differently? Why or why not? How?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)