|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gary rob first in order to get money for a truck payment?
2. What kind of car does McGrath buy for Gary, which is also the kind of car that Nicole has?
3. Why does the judge adjourn Gary's court case early on the day of the defense's case?
4. What does Gary offer to Brenda as he knows they are going through tough times?
5. Who is a sex addict who is not tethered securely to reality?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Nicole's other lovers become a bit unnerved by her and by her situation?
2. What does Cline Campbell have to say about Gary's decision to let the state kill him?
3. What is the coincidence that makes Nicole think she and Gary are somehow connected by the universe when they first meet?
4. What does Peter see that causes him to talk to Ida about his findings?
5. Why does Gary contact Brenda as he comes to the end of his jail term in Oregon?
6. What does Sterling attribute to causing the bond between himself and Gary?
7. Describe the character of Peter Galovan, a character who emerges in Book 1, Part 3.
8. What happens when Gary and Nicole try to consummate their new relationship?
9. Describe the nature of Nicole's first marriage.
10. Why is Nicole taken off of Gary's visiting list at the prison, although she is eventually reinstated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grace, Gary's apologist, continues to believe he does not deserve to die, that there were other reasons for his actions.
Part 1: Describe the two reasons why Grace thinks Gary may not deserve to be punished.
Part 2: Why would someone like Grace stick up for Gary?
Part 3: If you were in a similar position as Grace, would you have stuck up for Gary? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
While Gary seems to have had some rough times in his life, he also seems willing to make changes as needed.
Part 1: Describe what Gary does after his first prison term to begin a new life in a positive direction.
Part 2: What are some of the ways Gary sabotages his future?
Part 3: Why do you think Gary doesn't stick on the positive path he began?
Essay Topic 3
The molestation which occurs in this book is vile, though the perpetrators never seem to see the issue with this happening.
Part 1: Describe what happens when Rosebeth is in bed with Gary, Barrett, and Nicole.
Part 2: Why don't the characters think they are doing anything wrong? Or do they?
Part 3: Do you think this situation will cause Rosebeth to become a molester in her lifetime? Why or why not?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)