|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nickname Nicole earns when she is in school because of her growing chest?
2. Who is a sex addict who is not tethered securely to reality?
3. Nicole's other lovers are a bit spooked by Gary as he is a ______________ who thinks Nicole is his alone.
4. What is the loud and comical item Gary wears that makes him stand out in a crowd?
5. How old was Nicole when she first got married?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Nicole taken off of Gary's visiting list at the prison, although she is eventually reinstated?
2. Why does Gary contact Brenda as he comes to the end of his jail term in Oregon?
3. Why do Gary's lawyers believe the death sentence will not be carried out and that it will be eventually overturned?
4. What are some of the good times Bessie and Gary shared between his prison sentences?
5. What does Cline Campbell have to say about Gary's decision to let the state kill him?
6. What does Sterling attribute to causing the bond between himself and Gary?
7. Describe the state of April, Nicole's sister, when Gary finds her at Nicole's mother's house.
8. What does Gary make April tell Brenda after the two spend the night together at the Holiday Inn?
9. Why has Gary begun to hate his Mustang and to begin to look for an alternative car?
10. What does Gary do that shows he is an exceptionally strong man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gary seems to use violence as a reaction to things he can not control in his life. This causes disastrous consequences for all involved.
Part 1: Describe two situations in which Gary uses violence when he is frustrated.
Part 2: Does it seem that Gary really wants to be violent? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why might Gary think violence is the only way to handle his feelings?
Essay Topic 2
The molestation which occurs in this book is vile, though the perpetrators never seem to see the issue with this happening.
Part 1: Describe what happens when Rosebeth is in bed with Gary, Barrett, and Nicole.
Part 2: Why don't the characters think they are doing anything wrong? Or do they?
Part 3: Do you think this situation will cause Rosebeth to become a molester in her lifetime? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of the death penalty is an obvious point of discussion in this story and continues to be a point of discussion in society as a whole.
Part 1: What are the reasons that Gary's actions deserve the death penalty?
Part 2: What are the reasons against Gary deserving the death penalty
Part 3: Do you think Gary deserves to die? Why or why not?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)