|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the twelve-year-old girl Nicole and Gary invite into their bed?
2. Who is a sex addict who is not tethered securely to reality?
3. What does Nicole promise during her reconciliation with Gary after he writes her a long and explosive letter?
4. What is Gary's mental health diagnosis that limits his ability to plead an insanity defense?
5. Who is the man who molested Nicole when she was around 6 years of age?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Gary begun to hate his Mustang and to begin to look for an alternative car?
2. Why is Nicole taken off of Gary's visiting list at the prison, although she is eventually reinstated?
3. Describe how Gary acts as a worker at Vern's shop.
4. What does Sterling attribute to causing the bond between himself and Gary?
5. Why does Grace McGinnis eventually sever ties with Bessie and her clan?
6. Describe the nature of Nicole's first marriage.
7. What do people have to say about Gary's talents as an artist?
8. What does Peter see that causes him to talk to Ida about his findings?
9. What is the new object of Gary's automobile desires?
10. What is one of the first signs in the book that Gary might have feelings for younger girls?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of family in this story is a muddled one. Both Gary and Nicole seem to have had troubles with the male figures in their lives, which may have led to their current issues.
Part 1: Describe the troubles of Nicole as she grew up in her family.
Part 2: What might have impacted Gary in relation to his male family relationships?
Part 3: If these characters had positive male role models, do you think they would have turned out differently? Why or why not? How?
Essay Topic 2
The character of Nicole is an obviously flawed woman, but she still seems to be Gary's rock and his love throughout the book.
Part 1: What do you think makes Nicole continue to stay with Gary during this book?
Part 2: Do you think Gary truly loves Nicole? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Nicole truly loves Gary? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The molestation which occurs in this book is vile, though the perpetrators never seem to see the issue with this happening.
Part 1: Describe what happens when Rosebeth is in bed with Gary, Barrett, and Nicole.
Part 2: Why don't the characters think they are doing anything wrong? Or do they?
Part 3: Do you think this situation will cause Rosebeth to become a molester in her lifetime? Why or why not?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)