|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Barrett and Nicole live for awhile?
2. The dealer of the white truck won't sell it to Gary without a __________, which makes him mad.
3. Gary writes in a letter that he thinks ____________ might return him to the world a happier person.
4. Who is the witness to the murder and robbery Gary commits at the hotel?
5. Nicole doesn't think there's anything wrong with being with other men because she doesn't ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gary contact Brenda as he comes to the end of his jail term in Oregon?
2. Describe how Gary acts as a worker at Vern's shop.
3. What is one of the first signs in the book that Gary might have feelings for younger girls?
4. What does Gary make April tell Brenda after the two spend the night together at the Holiday Inn?
5. Why is Gary's case the case of a lifetime for Esplin and Snyder?
6. Why do Nicole's other lovers become a bit unnerved by her and by her situation?
7. What are the two causes for Gary's murderous behaviors, according to Grace, his apologist?
8. Why do Gary's lawyers believe the death sentence will not be carried out and that it will be eventually overturned?
9. What are the mental health conclusions that Esplin and Snyder learn in their trips to Utah State Hospital?
10. What does Sterling attribute to causing the bond between himself and Gary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the end, Gary is surrounded by his family and friends as he spends his final night on the Earth.
Part 1: Why are Gary's family and friends so supportive of him?
Part 2: Why didn't Gary's family and friends fight harder for him to stay alive?
Part 3: If you were a family member of Gary's, what would you have done when you found out he was sentenced to death?
Essay Topic 2
The presence of sex in this story seems to be truly 'sex' rather than the idea of making love.
Part 1: Why does Nicole use sex during this story? What does it seem to provide for her?
Part 2: How does Gary use sex in this story? What does he seem to get in return?
Part 3: What does the author seem to be saying about sex and its relationship to violence?
Essay Topic 3
The molestation which occurs in this book is vile, though the perpetrators never seem to see the issue with this happening.
Part 1: Describe what happens when Rosebeth is in bed with Gary, Barrett, and Nicole.
Part 2: Why don't the characters think they are doing anything wrong? Or do they?
Part 3: Do you think this situation will cause Rosebeth to become a molester in her lifetime? Why or why not?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)