|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Gary and Rikki cruise to meet women?
2. Whose car is Gary driving when he has the altercation with the security guard?
3. With which state's authorities does Gary get into trouble for auto theft and felony assault?
4. What color is the pickup truck that Gary desires?
5. Lu Ann points out that Gary has not been in a ___________ for a long time.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the mental health conclusions that Esplin and Snyder learn in their trips to Utah State Hospital?
2. What is the coincidence that makes Nicole think she and Gary are somehow connected by the universe when they first meet?
3. What does Nicole pride herself on at the time when she meets Gary?
4. What does Sterling attribute to causing the bond between himself and Gary?
5. Why does Gary contact Brenda as he comes to the end of his jail term in Oregon?
6. What are the two causes for Gary's murderous behaviors, according to Grace, his apologist?
7. Why has Gary begun to hate his Mustang and to begin to look for an alternative car?
8. What is Peter's reason for living, as described in the book, even though he can't handle much stress?
9. Why do Gary's lawyers believe the death sentence will not be carried out and that it will be eventually overturned?
10. Why do Nicole's other lovers become a bit unnerved by her and by her situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The suicide theme is one that recurs during the story, with various players attempting to take their own life.
Part 1: When Nicole and Gary make a suicide pact, do you think Gary meant to go through with it? Why or why not?
Part 2: What do you think the goal of Nicole and Gary's suicide pact was? Why?
Part 3: Why does Gary turn to suicide after hearing his execution date has been changed?
Essay Topic 2
One's image of themselves seems to spurn on that person's actions as well.
Part 1: How does Nicole see herself? What actions does she take as a result of this self image?
Part 2: How does Gary see himself? What actions does he take as a result of his self image?
Part 3: Would changing one's self image change one's actions? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The molestation which occurs in this book is vile, though the perpetrators never seem to see the issue with this happening.
Part 1: Describe what happens when Rosebeth is in bed with Gary, Barrett, and Nicole.
Part 2: Why don't the characters think they are doing anything wrong? Or do they?
Part 3: Do you think this situation will cause Rosebeth to become a molester in her lifetime? Why or why not?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)