|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of car does McGrath buy for Gary, which is also the kind of car that Nicole has?
2. Who is AWOL from the army, but the army takes him back anyway?
3. What does Gary rob first in order to get money for a truck payment?
4. Who does Grace go with when she is able to visit with Gary in prison?
5. Why can't Nicole take her car to go see Gary at the prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the evidence the prosecution has in the case against Gary?
2. What does Cline Campbell have to say about Gary's decision to let the state kill him?
3. Why does Gary contact Brenda as he comes to the end of his jail term in Oregon?
4. Why has Gary begun to hate his Mustang and to begin to look for an alternative car?
5. Describe how Gary acts as a worker at Vern's shop.
6. What does Sterling attribute to causing the bond between himself and Gary?
7. What happens when Gary and Nicole try to consummate their new relationship?
8. Why do Gary's lawyers believe the death sentence will not be carried out and that it will be eventually overturned?
9. What does Gary do that shows he is an exceptionally strong man?
10. What does Nicole pride herself on at the time when she meets Gary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Gary begins to sell his story, it seems that truth is not the most important part of the deal. The buyers simply want to tell the sensational story.
Part 1: Why wouldn't truth be an important part of telling Gary's story?
Part 2: Why weren't the families of his victims contacted?
Part 3: Why does Gary want a portion of the proceeds from his publicity to go to the families of his victims?
Essay Topic 2
The control Gary seems to have over Nicole affects not only her, but also him. He seems consumed by her at times.
Part 1: Why do you think Gary manipulated Nicole into trying to take her life?
Part 2: Why do you think Gary and Nicole continue to stay with each other?
Part 3: In what ways does Nicole have control over Gary?
Essay Topic 3
Grace, Gary's apologist, continues to believe he does not deserve to die, that there were other reasons for his actions.
Part 1: Describe the two reasons why Grace thinks Gary may not deserve to be punished.
Part 2: Why would someone like Grace stick up for Gary?
Part 3: If you were in a similar position as Grace, would you have stuck up for Gary? Why or why not?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)