|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What convinces Nicole to take Gary back, even though it is presumed he doesn't mean a word of it?
2. Who does Cahoun move into Gary's cell after Nicole stops coming to visit him?
3. Who is the twelve-year-old girl Nicole and Gary invite into their bed?
4. Who does Nicole decide to leave with when she is seven months pregnant and homeless?
5. What is the name of the lot where Gary's truck is situated?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do people have to say about Gary's talents as an artist?
2. What are the two causes for Gary's murderous behaviors, according to Grace, his apologist?
3. What happened to Nicole's Mustang which makes her have to hitchhike in order to see Gary in prison?
4. What is one of the first signs in the book that Gary might have feelings for younger girls?
5. Describe Nicole when she meets Gary as the age of twenty.
6. What does Gary do that shows he is an exceptionally strong man?
7. What are some of the good times Bessie and Gary shared between his prison sentences?
8. What is the biggest obstacle for the lawyers who are trying to defend Gary in his murder charges?
9. What does Cline Campbell have to say about Gary's decision to let the state kill him?
10. Describe the character of Peter Galovan, a character who emerges in Book 1, Part 3.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gary says at one point that he does not want any publicity, though he goes ahead and changes this stance once Boaz enters the picture.
Part 1: Why wouldn't Gary want publicity for his initial story?
Part 2: Why might Gary have changed his mind about getting more public about his story?
Part 3: How will the publicity of Gary's story affect others in his life?
Essay Topic 2
The control Gary seems to have over Nicole affects not only her, but also him. He seems consumed by her at times.
Part 1: Why do you think Gary manipulated Nicole into trying to take her life?
Part 2: Why do you think Gary and Nicole continue to stay with each other?
Part 3: In what ways does Nicole have control over Gary?
Essay Topic 3
At one point of the story, Gary decides he does not want to be saved by legal actions. He just wants to die.
Part 1: Why do you think Gary just wants to be executed? Why doesn't he fight for his life?
Part 2: Do you think Gary really wants to die? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Gary could have avoided the death sentence? Why or why not?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)