|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of execution does Gary prefer, according to his statement to the judge when asked about his choice of manner of death?
2. Who does Gary meet at Nicole's mother's house before heading out on his killing spree?
3. What does Nicole promise during her reconciliation with Gary after he writes her a long and explosive letter?
4. Grace thought, "I'll bet a ________ he knew those boys were Mormon before he killed them."
5. Nicole continues to ____________ from Springfield in order to get to Gary.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Nicole when she meets Gary as the age of twenty.
2. Why has Gary begun to hate his Mustang and to begin to look for an alternative car?
3. What is the coincidence that makes Nicole think she and Gary are somehow connected by the universe when they first meet?
4. Describe how Gary acts as a worker at Vern's shop.
5. Describe the character of Peter Galovan, a character who emerges in Book 1, Part 3.
6. What does Nicole pride herself on at the time when she meets Gary?
7. What is one of the first signs in the book that Gary might have feelings for younger girls?
8. What does Sterling attribute to causing the bond between himself and Gary?
9. What is the biggest obstacle for the lawyers who are trying to defend Gary in his murder charges?
10. What are some of the good times Bessie and Gary shared between his prison sentences?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Gary seems to have had some rough times in his life, he also seems willing to make changes as needed.
Part 1: Describe what Gary does after his first prison term to begin a new life in a positive direction.
Part 2: What are some of the ways Gary sabotages his future?
Part 3: Why do you think Gary doesn't stick on the positive path he began?
Essay Topic 2
At one point of the story, Gary decides he does not want to be saved by legal actions. He just wants to die.
Part 1: Why do you think Gary just wants to be executed? Why doesn't he fight for his life?
Part 2: Do you think Gary really wants to die? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Gary could have avoided the death sentence? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
During this story, it seem that Gary has two different versions of reality - that which is true and that which he imagines in his head.
Part 1: In what ways is Gary's perception of reality false? Cite specific examples.
Part 2: In what ways does Gary seem to be grounded in reality? Cite specific examples.
Part 3: What does Gary's constant fantasies seem to say about his mental state?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)