Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the judge adjourn Gary's court case early on the day of the defense's case?
2. How long does Gary's court process take, including the day for jury selection?
3. How much does Gary make per hour when he is working in Vern's shop?
4. What is Cline Campbell's role in the prison setting, requested by Gary for his services?
5. What kind of execution does Gary prefer, according to his statement to the judge when asked about his choice of manner of death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Peter see that causes him to talk to Ida about his findings?
2. Why is Schiller in Hawaii as Gary continues to be interviewed by the media?
3. Why does Jeff Newman try to push his way into Nicole's house?
4. What are the refreshments provided to Gary on his last night before the execution?
5. What does Gary find out about his old cellmate from Utah County Jail in Provo?
6. What is the new object of Gary's automobile desires?
7. What do Moody and Sanger do when they are visiting Gary at the prison?
8. Why does the Warden allow Boaz to interview Gary?
9. What does Earl Dorius do in order to stop the reporters and other interviews from having access to Gary?
10. Why do Gary's lawyers believe the death sentence will not be carried out and that it will be eventually overturned?
Essay Topic 1
While Gary seems to have had some rough times in his life, he also seems willing to make changes as needed.
Part 1: Describe what Gary does after his first prison term to begin a new life in a positive direction.
Part 2: What are some of the ways Gary sabotages his future?
Part 3: Why do you think Gary doesn't stick on the positive path he began?
Essay Topic 2
The trick with the character of Gary is that he seems to be someone you can both hate and understand. This can cause the reader to not know what to think.
Part 1: Cite at least two examples of things which may be considered admirable in Gary.
Part 2: Cite at least two examples of things which may be considered detestable in Gary.
Part 3: Do you think Gary is a good person or a bad person? What were your reactions to him in the story?
Essay Topic 3
The presence of sex in this story seems to be truly 'sex' rather than the idea of making love.
Part 1: Why does Nicole use sex during this story? What does it seem to provide for her?
Part 2: How does Gary use sex in this story? What does he seem to get in return?
Part 3: What does the author seem to be saying about sex and its relationship to violence?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)