|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who else does Grace blame for Gary's behavior as they will not pay the back taxes on Bessie's house?
2. Gary writes in a letter that he thinks ____________ might return him to the world a happier person.
3. What does Gary assume Nicole will do once he is dead?
4. Who is the nighttime guard that Gibbs and Gary start to play with?
5. What does Nicole promise during her reconciliation with Gary after he writes her a long and explosive letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the state of April, Nicole's sister, when Gary finds her at Nicole's mother's house.
2. Why does the Warden allow Boaz to interview Gary?
3. What does Gary say when asked if he went into the motel and the service station to kill someone?
4. Describe Nicole when she meets Gary as the age of twenty.
5. What is the new object of Gary's automobile desires?
6. Where is Brenda when Geraldo Rivera calls to get an interview about Gary from her?
7. What is the coincidence that makes Nicole think she and Gary are somehow connected by the universe when they first meet?
8. What do Moody and Sanger do when they are visiting Gary at the prison?
9. What does Gary make April tell Brenda after the two spend the night together at the Holiday Inn?
10. Describe how Gary acts as a worker at Vern's shop.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of the death penalty is an obvious point of discussion in this story and continues to be a point of discussion in society as a whole.
Part 1: What are the reasons that Gary's actions deserve the death penalty?
Part 2: What are the reasons against Gary deserving the death penalty
Part 3: Do you think Gary deserves to die? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Gary says at one point that he does not want any publicity, though he goes ahead and changes this stance once Boaz enters the picture.
Part 1: Why wouldn't Gary want publicity for his initial story?
Part 2: Why might Gary have changed his mind about getting more public about his story?
Part 3: How will the publicity of Gary's story affect others in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Gary seems to use violence as a reaction to things he can not control in his life. This causes disastrous consequences for all involved.
Part 1: Describe two situations in which Gary uses violence when he is frustrated.
Part 2: Does it seem that Gary really wants to be violent? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why might Gary think violence is the only way to handle his feelings?
This section contains 1,992 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)