|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gary offer to Brenda as he knows they are going through tough times?
2. What does Vern easily beat Gary at, which causes him to feel a little less than a man?
3. How long does Gary's court process take, including the day for jury selection?
4. Where do Gary and Rikki cruise to meet women?
5. Gary writes in a letter that he thinks ____________ might return him to the world a happier person.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do people have to say about Gary's talents as an artist?
2. What does Gary do that shows he is an exceptionally strong man?
3. What is the coincidence that makes Nicole think she and Gary are somehow connected by the universe when they first meet?
4. What does Nicole pride herself on at the time when she meets Gary?
5. Why does Grace McGinnis eventually sever ties with Bessie and her clan?
6. Describe how Gary acts as a worker at Vern's shop.
7. What does Sterling attribute to causing the bond between himself and Gary?
8. What does Gary make April tell Brenda after the two spend the night together at the Holiday Inn?
9. Why has Gary begun to hate his Mustang and to begin to look for an alternative car?
10. What happens when Gary and Nicole try to consummate their new relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of nature versus nurture is an obvious theme in this story. One might suppose that Gary was the product of his upbringing, while others might suggest he was simply an evil person.
Part 1: Cite at least two examples of supporting evidence that the environment was the cause of Gary's behavior.
Part 2: Cite at least two examples of supporting evidence that suggests Gary is simply an evil person.
Part 3: What do you think? Do you think Gary's environment or his biology led to his actions?
Essay Topic 2
Grace, Gary's apologist, continues to believe he does not deserve to die, that there were other reasons for his actions.
Part 1: Describe the two reasons why Grace thinks Gary may not deserve to be punished.
Part 2: Why would someone like Grace stick up for Gary?
Part 3: If you were in a similar position as Grace, would you have stuck up for Gary? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The suicide theme is one that recurs during the story, with various players attempting to take their own life.
Part 1: When Nicole and Gary make a suicide pact, do you think Gary meant to go through with it? Why or why not?
Part 2: What do you think the goal of Nicole and Gary's suicide pact was? Why?
Part 3: Why does Gary turn to suicide after hearing his execution date has been changed?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)