|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gary assume Nicole will do once he is dead?
2. Who is AWOL from the army, but the army takes him back anyway?
3. Campbell says that while suicide is a sin, paying for your sins with ______________ would not necessarily be wrong.
4. How many times has Nicole already been married at the point when she meets Gary?
5. What does Gary get into the habit of doing with Sterling?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gary contact Brenda as he comes to the end of his jail term in Oregon?
2. What are the two causes for Gary's murderous behaviors, according to Grace, his apologist?
3. What happened to Nicole's Mustang which makes her have to hitchhike in order to see Gary in prison?
4. Why is Nicole taken off of Gary's visiting list at the prison, although she is eventually reinstated?
5. What does Cline Campbell have to say about Gary's decision to let the state kill him?
6. Describe Nicole when she meets Gary as the age of twenty.
7. What are some of the good times Bessie and Gary shared between his prison sentences?
8. Describe the state of April, Nicole's sister, when Gary finds her at Nicole's mother's house.
9. Why has Gary begun to hate his Mustang and to begin to look for an alternative car?
10. What does Nicole pride herself on at the time when she meets Gary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gary says at one point that he does not want any publicity, though he goes ahead and changes this stance once Boaz enters the picture.
Part 1: Why wouldn't Gary want publicity for his initial story?
Part 2: Why might Gary have changed his mind about getting more public about his story?
Part 3: How will the publicity of Gary's story affect others in his life?
Essay Topic 2
The presence of sex in this story seems to be truly 'sex' rather than the idea of making love.
Part 1: Why does Nicole use sex during this story? What does it seem to provide for her?
Part 2: How does Gary use sex in this story? What does he seem to get in return?
Part 3: What does the author seem to be saying about sex and its relationship to violence?
Essay Topic 3
The suicide theme is one that recurs during the story, with various players attempting to take their own life.
Part 1: When Nicole and Gary make a suicide pact, do you think Gary meant to go through with it? Why or why not?
Part 2: What do you think the goal of Nicole and Gary's suicide pact was? Why?
Part 3: Why does Gary turn to suicide after hearing his execution date has been changed?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)