|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who makes the short argument for leniency for Gary, even though no one expects it to actually work?
2. What is the profession of Grace McGinnis?
3. What kind of shop does Spencer McGrath run which is where Gary eventually gets another job?
4. Why does April refuse to have sex with Gary when they are at the Provo Holiday Inn?
5. What does Gary offer to Brenda as he knows they are going through tough times?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Gary's lawyers believe the death sentence will not be carried out and that it will be eventually overturned?
2. What does Gary make April tell Brenda after the two spend the night together at the Holiday Inn?
3. What is one of the first signs in the book that Gary might have feelings for younger girls?
4. What are some of the things Gary thinks are interesting, revealing that he hasn't been in a bar in a long time?
5. Who will Gary live with after he gets out of prison?
6. What are the two causes for Gary's murderous behaviors, according to Grace, his apologist?
7. What happens when Gary and Nicole try to consummate their new relationship?
8. What are the mental health conclusions that Esplin and Snyder learn in their trips to Utah State Hospital?
9. What happened to Nicole's Mustang which makes her have to hitchhike in order to see Gary in prison?
10. What is Peter's reason for living, as described in the book, even though he can't handle much stress?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grace, Gary's apologist, continues to believe he does not deserve to die, that there were other reasons for his actions.
Part 1: Describe the two reasons why Grace thinks Gary may not deserve to be punished.
Part 2: Why would someone like Grace stick up for Gary?
Part 3: If you were in a similar position as Grace, would you have stuck up for Gary? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Gary seems to use violence as a reaction to things he can not control in his life. This causes disastrous consequences for all involved.
Part 1: Describe two situations in which Gary uses violence when he is frustrated.
Part 2: Does it seem that Gary really wants to be violent? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why might Gary think violence is the only way to handle his feelings?
Essay Topic 3
The molestation which occurs in this book is vile, though the perpetrators never seem to see the issue with this happening.
Part 1: Describe what happens when Rosebeth is in bed with Gary, Barrett, and Nicole.
Part 2: Why don't the characters think they are doing anything wrong? Or do they?
Part 3: Do you think this situation will cause Rosebeth to become a molester in her lifetime? Why or why not?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)