|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who else does Grace blame for Gary's behavior as they will not pay the back taxes on Bessie's house?
2. What is also special about Gary's case that makes it something that should be perfect for prime time coverage too?
3. With which state's authorities does Gary get into trouble for auto theft and felony assault?
4. What kind of shop does Spencer McGrath run which is where Gary eventually gets another job?
5. What does Gary accidentally do while trying to dispose of the murder weapon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the things Gary thinks are interesting, revealing that he hasn't been in a bar in a long time?
2. Describe the state of April, Nicole's sister, when Gary finds her at Nicole's mother's house.
3. What does Gary do that shows he is an exceptionally strong man?
4. What happens when Gary and Nicole try to consummate their new relationship?
5. Why is Gary's case the case of a lifetime for Esplin and Snyder?
6. Why does Gary contact Brenda as he comes to the end of his jail term in Oregon?
7. Why has Gary begun to hate his Mustang and to begin to look for an alternative car?
8. What does Sterling attribute to causing the bond between himself and Gary?
9. What is Peter's reason for living, as described in the book, even though he can't handle much stress?
10. Describe the nature of Nicole's first marriage.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gary says at one point that he does not want any publicity, though he goes ahead and changes this stance once Boaz enters the picture.
Part 1: Why wouldn't Gary want publicity for his initial story?
Part 2: Why might Gary have changed his mind about getting more public about his story?
Part 3: How will the publicity of Gary's story affect others in his life?
Essay Topic 2
At one point of the story, Gary decides he does not want to be saved by legal actions. He just wants to die.
Part 1: Why do you think Gary just wants to be executed? Why doesn't he fight for his life?
Part 2: Do you think Gary really wants to die? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Gary could have avoided the death sentence? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Grace, Gary's apologist, continues to believe he does not deserve to die, that there were other reasons for his actions.
Part 1: Describe the two reasons why Grace thinks Gary may not deserve to be punished.
Part 2: Why would someone like Grace stick up for Gary?
Part 3: If you were in a similar position as Grace, would you have stuck up for Gary? Why or why not?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)