|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lu Ann points out that Gary has not been in a ___________ for a long time.
2. Nicole continues to ____________ from Springfield in order to get to Gary.
3. Who does Grace go with when she is able to visit with Gary in prison?
4. The Mormon majority believes that man does go on to become a ______________ and inherits one of the many unused planets when he dies.
5. What did Gary do when he was in jail in order to get more privacy and solitude?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the mental health conclusions that Esplin and Snyder learn in their trips to Utah State Hospital?
2. What does Nicole pride herself on at the time when she meets Gary?
3. What does Gary make April tell Brenda after the two spend the night together at the Holiday Inn?
4. Why does Grace McGinnis eventually sever ties with Bessie and her clan?
5. What are some of the things Gary thinks are interesting, revealing that he hasn't been in a bar in a long time?
6. What is the biggest obstacle for the lawyers who are trying to defend Gary in his murder charges?
7. Why is Gary's case the case of a lifetime for Esplin and Snyder?
8. What does Gary do that shows he is an exceptionally strong man?
9. What is one of the first signs in the book that Gary might have feelings for younger girls?
10. What happens when Gary and Nicole try to consummate their new relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Gary begins to sell his story, it seems that truth is not the most important part of the deal. The buyers simply want to tell the sensational story.
Part 1: Why wouldn't truth be an important part of telling Gary's story?
Part 2: Why weren't the families of his victims contacted?
Part 3: Why does Gary want a portion of the proceeds from his publicity to go to the families of his victims?
Essay Topic 2
Grace, Gary's apologist, continues to believe he does not deserve to die, that there were other reasons for his actions.
Part 1: Describe the two reasons why Grace thinks Gary may not deserve to be punished.
Part 2: Why would someone like Grace stick up for Gary?
Part 3: If you were in a similar position as Grace, would you have stuck up for Gary? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
While Gary seems to have had some rough times in his life, he also seems willing to make changes as needed.
Part 1: Describe what Gary does after his first prison term to begin a new life in a positive direction.
Part 2: What are some of the ways Gary sabotages his future?
Part 3: Why do you think Gary doesn't stick on the positive path he began?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)