Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the judge adjourn Gary's court case early on the day of the defense's case?
2. How long does Gary's court process take, including the day for jury selection?
3. How much does Gary make per hour when he is working in Vern's shop?
4. What is Cline Campbell's role in the prison setting, requested by Gary for his services?
5. What kind of execution does Gary prefer, according to his statement to the judge when asked about his choice of manner of death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Peter see that causes him to talk to Ida about his findings?
2. Why is Schiller in Hawaii as Gary continues to be interviewed by the media?
3. Why does Jeff Newman try to push his way into Nicole's house?
4. What are the refreshments provided to Gary on his last night before the execution?
5. What does Gary find out about his old cellmate from Utah County Jail in Provo?
6. What is the new object of Gary's automobile desires?
7. What do Moody and Sanger do when they are visiting Gary at the prison?
8. Why does the Warden allow Boaz to interview Gary?
9. What does Earl Dorius do in order to stop the reporters and other interviews from having access to Gary?
10. Why do Gary's lawyers believe the death sentence will not be carried out and that it will be eventually overturned?
Essay Topic 1
As Gary begins to sell his story, it seems that truth is not the most important part of the deal. The buyers simply want to tell the sensational story.
Part 1: Why wouldn't truth be an important part of telling Gary's story?
Part 2: Why weren't the families of his victims contacted?
Part 3: Why does Gary want a portion of the proceeds from his publicity to go to the families of his victims?
Essay Topic 2
The trick with the character of Gary is that he seems to be someone you can both hate and understand. This can cause the reader to not know what to think.
Part 1: Cite at least two examples of things which may be considered admirable in Gary.
Part 2: Cite at least two examples of things which may be considered detestable in Gary.
Part 3: Do you think Gary is a good person or a bad person? What were your reactions to him in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Gary seems to use violence as a reaction to things he can not control in his life. This causes disastrous consequences for all involved.
Part 1: Describe two situations in which Gary uses violence when he is frustrated.
Part 2: Does it seem that Gary really wants to be violent? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why might Gary think violence is the only way to handle his feelings?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)