|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gary writes in a letter that he thinks ____________ might return him to the world a happier person.
2. Who else does Grace blame for Gary's behavior as they will not pay the back taxes on Bessie's house?
3. Much of the appeals process is ______, requiring little participation on the part of the convict.
4. Where do Gary and Rikki cruise to meet women?
5. Whose albums did Gary and Bessie listen to during some of their happier times together?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the media do since no one has any access to Gary and to his story?
2. What does Sterling attribute to causing the bond between himself and Gary?
3. Who will Gary live with after he gets out of prison?
4. What are the two causes for Gary's murderous behaviors, according to Grace, his apologist?
5. What do people have to say about Gary's talents as an artist?
6. What does Gary do in response to his new execution date of January 17?
7. Describe the Mormon vision Peter Galovan has about Gary.
8. Why are Sam Smith, the Warden, and other officials looking over the laws?
9. What happens when Gary and Nicole try to consummate their new relationship?
10. What does Peter see that causes him to talk to Ida about his findings?
Essay Topic 1
Gary says at one point that he does not want any publicity, though he goes ahead and changes this stance once Boaz enters the picture.
Part 1: Why wouldn't Gary want publicity for his initial story?
Part 2: Why might Gary have changed his mind about getting more public about his story?
Part 3: How will the publicity of Gary's story affect others in his life?
Essay Topic 2
One's image of themselves seems to spurn on that person's actions as well.
Part 1: How does Nicole see herself? What actions does she take as a result of this self image?
Part 2: How does Gary see himself? What actions does he take as a result of his self image?
Part 3: Would changing one's self image change one's actions? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The molestation which occurs in this book is vile, though the perpetrators never seem to see the issue with this happening.
Part 1: Describe what happens when Rosebeth is in bed with Gary, Barrett, and Nicole.
Part 2: Why don't the characters think they are doing anything wrong? Or do they?
Part 3: Do you think this situation will cause Rosebeth to become a molester in her lifetime? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,995 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)