|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lu Ann points out that Gary has not been in a ___________ for a long time.
2. Grace thought, "I'll bet a ________ he knew those boys were Mormon before he killed them."
3. Who thinks Gary might have been the trigger man in the gas station murder?
4. Who else does Grace blame for Gary's behavior as they will not pay the back taxes on Bessie's house?
5. What did Dr. Wesley Weissart diagnose Gary with when he was at Oregon State Penitentiary?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two causes for Gary's murderous behaviors, according to Grace, his apologist?
2. Describe the nature of Nicole's first marriage.
3. Describe the state of April, Nicole's sister, when Gary finds her at Nicole's mother's house.
4. What does Sterling attribute to causing the bond between himself and Gary?
5. What happens when Gary and Nicole try to consummate their new relationship?
6. What does Gary make April tell Brenda after the two spend the night together at the Holiday Inn?
7. What does Gary do that shows he is an exceptionally strong man?
8. Why do Nicole's other lovers become a bit unnerved by her and by her situation?
9. Why is Nicole taken off of Gary's visiting list at the prison, although she is eventually reinstated?
10. What does Peter see that causes him to talk to Ida about his findings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point of the story, Gary decides he does not want to be saved by legal actions. He just wants to die.
Part 1: Why do you think Gary just wants to be executed? Why doesn't he fight for his life?
Part 2: Do you think Gary really wants to die? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Gary could have avoided the death sentence? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
One's image of themselves seems to spurn on that person's actions as well.
Part 1: How does Nicole see herself? What actions does she take as a result of this self image?
Part 2: How does Gary see himself? What actions does he take as a result of his self image?
Part 3: Would changing one's self image change one's actions? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The control Gary seems to have over Nicole affects not only her, but also him. He seems consumed by her at times.
Part 1: Why do you think Gary manipulated Nicole into trying to take her life?
Part 2: Why do you think Gary and Nicole continue to stay with each other?
Part 3: In what ways does Nicole have control over Gary?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)