|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Cahoun move into Gary's cell after Nicole stops coming to visit him?
2. What is the less embarrassing topic Nicole decides to talk about instead of talking about when she first had sex?
3. Who does Gary contact so he has a place to stay and a job when he gets out of prison?
4. Much of the appeals process is ______, requiring little participation on the part of the convict.
5. What is the loud and comical item Gary wears that makes him stand out in a crowd?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the mental health conclusions that Esplin and Snyder learn in their trips to Utah State Hospital?
2. What does Peter see that causes him to talk to Ida about his findings?
3. What are some of the good times Bessie and Gary shared between his prison sentences?
4. What is the biggest obstacle for the lawyers who are trying to defend Gary in his murder charges?
5. Describe the state of April, Nicole's sister, when Gary finds her at Nicole's mother's house.
6. What do the media do since no one has any access to Gary and to his story?
7. What is the evidence the prosecution has in the case against Gary?
8. What happens to Nicole after she ingests the very large dose of Seconal?
9. What does Cline Campbell have to say about Gary's decision to let the state kill him?
10. Why has Gary begun to hate his Mustang and to begin to look for an alternative car?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The trick with the character of Gary is that he seems to be someone you can both hate and understand. This can cause the reader to not know what to think.
Part 1: Cite at least two examples of things which may be considered admirable in Gary.
Part 2: Cite at least two examples of things which may be considered detestable in Gary.
Part 3: Do you think Gary is a good person or a bad person? What were your reactions to him in the story?
Essay Topic 2
The control Gary seems to have over Nicole affects not only her, but also him. He seems consumed by her at times.
Part 1: Why do you think Gary manipulated Nicole into trying to take her life?
Part 2: Why do you think Gary and Nicole continue to stay with each other?
Part 3: In what ways does Nicole have control over Gary?
Essay Topic 3
In the end, Gary is surrounded by his family and friends as he spends his final night on the Earth.
Part 1: Why are Gary's family and friends so supportive of him?
Part 2: Why didn't Gary's family and friends fight harder for him to stay alive?
Part 3: If you were a family member of Gary's, what would you have done when you found out he was sentenced to death?
This section contains 2,003 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)