Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the judge adjourn Gary's court case early on the day of the defense's case?
2. How long does Gary's court process take, including the day for jury selection?
3. How much does Gary make per hour when he is working in Vern's shop?
4. What is Cline Campbell's role in the prison setting, requested by Gary for his services?
5. What kind of execution does Gary prefer, according to his statement to the judge when asked about his choice of manner of death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Peter see that causes him to talk to Ida about his findings?
2. Why is Schiller in Hawaii as Gary continues to be interviewed by the media?
3. Why does Jeff Newman try to push his way into Nicole's house?
4. What are the refreshments provided to Gary on his last night before the execution?
5. What does Gary find out about his old cellmate from Utah County Jail in Provo?
6. What is the new object of Gary's automobile desires?
7. What do Moody and Sanger do when they are visiting Gary at the prison?
8. Why does the Warden allow Boaz to interview Gary?
9. What does Earl Dorius do in order to stop the reporters and other interviews from having access to Gary?
10. Why do Gary's lawyers believe the death sentence will not be carried out and that it will be eventually overturned?
Essay Topic 1
The idea of nature versus nurture is an obvious theme in this story. One might suppose that Gary was the product of his upbringing, while others might suggest he was simply an evil person.
Part 1: Cite at least two examples of supporting evidence that the environment was the cause of Gary's behavior.
Part 2: Cite at least two examples of supporting evidence that suggests Gary is simply an evil person.
Part 3: What do you think? Do you think Gary's environment or his biology led to his actions?
Essay Topic 2
While Gary seems to have had some rough times in his life, he also seems willing to make changes as needed.
Part 1: Describe what Gary does after his first prison term to begin a new life in a positive direction.
Part 2: What are some of the ways Gary sabotages his future?
Part 3: Why do you think Gary doesn't stick on the positive path he began?
Essay Topic 3
One's image of themselves seems to spurn on that person's actions as well.
Part 1: How does Nicole see herself? What actions does she take as a result of this self image?
Part 2: How does Gary see himself? What actions does he take as a result of his self image?
Part 3: Would changing one's self image change one's actions? Why or why not?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)