|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Mormon majority believes that man does go on to become a ______________ and inherits one of the many unused planets when he dies.
2. What is the less embarrassing topic Nicole decides to talk about instead of talking about when she first had sex?
3. What is the nickname Nicole earns when she is in school because of her growing chest?
4. Grace thought, "I'll bet a ________ he knew those boys were Mormon before he killed them."
5. Who is an uptight religious fanatic who is given to nervous breakdowns?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cline Campbell have to say about Gary's decision to let the state kill him?
2. What does Peter see that causes him to talk to Ida about his findings?
3. What are the mental health conclusions that Esplin and Snyder learn in their trips to Utah State Hospital?
4. Describe the state of April, Nicole's sister, when Gary finds her at Nicole's mother's house.
5. What happened to Nicole's Mustang which makes her have to hitchhike in order to see Gary in prison?
6. Why do Gary's lawyers believe the death sentence will not be carried out and that it will be eventually overturned?
7. What is the biggest obstacle for the lawyers who are trying to defend Gary in his murder charges?
8. Describe the nature of Nicole's first marriage.
9. Why does Grace McGinnis eventually sever ties with Bessie and her clan?
10. Why is Nicole taken off of Gary's visiting list at the prison, although she is eventually reinstated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Gary begins to sell his story, it seems that truth is not the most important part of the deal. The buyers simply want to tell the sensational story.
Part 1: Why wouldn't truth be an important part of telling Gary's story?
Part 2: Why weren't the families of his victims contacted?
Part 3: Why does Gary want a portion of the proceeds from his publicity to go to the families of his victims?
Essay Topic 2
While Gary seems to have had some rough times in his life, he also seems willing to make changes as needed.
Part 1: Describe what Gary does after his first prison term to begin a new life in a positive direction.
Part 2: What are some of the ways Gary sabotages his future?
Part 3: Why do you think Gary doesn't stick on the positive path he began?
Essay Topic 3
Grace, Gary's apologist, continues to believe he does not deserve to die, that there were other reasons for his actions.
Part 1: Describe the two reasons why Grace thinks Gary may not deserve to be punished.
Part 2: Why would someone like Grace stick up for Gary?
Part 3: If you were in a similar position as Grace, would you have stuck up for Gary? Why or why not?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)