|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Mormon majority believes that man does go on to become a ______________ and inherits one of the many unused planets when he dies.
2. What does Gary steal in response to his problems with the truck dealership?
3. What is also special about Gary's case that makes it something that should be perfect for prime time coverage too?
4. What does Bessie do to make ends meet, even though she has crippling arthritis?
5. Where does Gary's truck end up as the police are trying to take him into custody?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one of the first signs in the book that Gary might have feelings for younger girls?
2. Describe the character of Peter Galovan, a character who emerges in Book 1, Part 3.
3. What does Gary do that shows he is an exceptionally strong man?
4. Describe the state of April, Nicole's sister, when Gary finds her at Nicole's mother's house.
5. What is the coincidence that makes Nicole think she and Gary are somehow connected by the universe when they first meet?
6. Why does Grace McGinnis eventually sever ties with Bessie and her clan?
7. What do people have to say about Gary's talents as an artist?
8. Why does Gary contact Brenda as he comes to the end of his jail term in Oregon?
9. What does Nicole pride herself on at the time when she meets Gary?
10. Describe the nature of Nicole's first marriage.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of religion is one that presents itself again and again in this book. The Mormon Church lurks in the background throughout the events of this story.
Part 1: Does Gary seem to be a religious person? Support your answer.
Part 2: Why do you think Campbell thinks it's okay for Gary to be killed by the state?
Part 3: How does the Mormon Church affect Gary's case? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 2
Gary says at one point that he does not want any publicity, though he goes ahead and changes this stance once Boaz enters the picture.
Part 1: Why wouldn't Gary want publicity for his initial story?
Part 2: Why might Gary have changed his mind about getting more public about his story?
Part 3: How will the publicity of Gary's story affect others in his life?
Essay Topic 3
While Gary seems to have had some rough times in his life, he also seems willing to make changes as needed.
Part 1: Describe what Gary does after his first prison term to begin a new life in a positive direction.
Part 2: What are some of the ways Gary sabotages his future?
Part 3: Why do you think Gary doesn't stick on the positive path he began?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)