|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gary suggest he and Rikki do when he isn't able to pick up women?
2. What does Nicole promise during her reconciliation with Gary after he writes her a long and explosive letter?
3. What is the profession of Grace McGinnis?
4. What is Gary's mental health diagnosis that limits his ability to plead an insanity defense?
5. Nicole continues to ____________ from Springfield in order to get to Gary.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the evidence the prosecution has in the case against Gary?
2. Describe the state of April, Nicole's sister, when Gary finds her at Nicole's mother's house.
3. What does Gary make April tell Brenda after the two spend the night together at the Holiday Inn?
4. What does Cline Campbell have to say about Gary's decision to let the state kill him?
5. What happens when Gary and Nicole try to consummate their new relationship?
6. What are some of the good times Bessie and Gary shared between his prison sentences?
7. Describe Nicole when she meets Gary as the age of twenty.
8. Why is Gary's case the case of a lifetime for Esplin and Snyder?
9. What is one of the first signs in the book that Gary might have feelings for younger girls?
10. Who will Gary live with after he gets out of prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The presence of sex in this story seems to be truly 'sex' rather than the idea of making love.
Part 1: Why does Nicole use sex during this story? What does it seem to provide for her?
Part 2: How does Gary use sex in this story? What does he seem to get in return?
Part 3: What does the author seem to be saying about sex and its relationship to violence?
Essay Topic 2
Gary seems to use violence as a reaction to things he can not control in his life. This causes disastrous consequences for all involved.
Part 1: Describe two situations in which Gary uses violence when he is frustrated.
Part 2: Does it seem that Gary really wants to be violent? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why might Gary think violence is the only way to handle his feelings?
Essay Topic 3
While Gary seems to have had some rough times in his life, he also seems willing to make changes as needed.
Part 1: Describe what Gary does after his first prison term to begin a new life in a positive direction.
Part 2: What are some of the ways Gary sabotages his future?
Part 3: Why do you think Gary doesn't stick on the positive path he began?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)