|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the judge adjourn Gary's court case early on the day of the defense's case?
2. How long does Gary's court process take, including the day for jury selection?
3. How much does Gary make per hour when he is working in Vern's shop?
4. What is Cline Campbell's role in the prison setting, requested by Gary for his services?
5. What kind of execution does Gary prefer, according to his statement to the judge when asked about his choice of manner of death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Peter see that causes him to talk to Ida about his findings?
2. Why is Schiller in Hawaii as Gary continues to be interviewed by the media?
3. Why does Jeff Newman try to push his way into Nicole's house?
4. What are the refreshments provided to Gary on his last night before the execution?
5. What does Gary find out about his old cellmate from Utah County Jail in Provo?
6. What is the new object of Gary's automobile desires?
7. What do Moody and Sanger do when they are visiting Gary at the prison?
8. Why does the Warden allow Boaz to interview Gary?
9. What does Earl Dorius do in order to stop the reporters and other interviews from having access to Gary?
10. Why do Gary's lawyers believe the death sentence will not be carried out and that it will be eventually overturned?
Essay Topic 1
During this story, it seem that Gary has two different versions of reality - that which is true and that which he imagines in his head.
Part 1: In what ways is Gary's perception of reality false? Cite specific examples.
Part 2: In what ways does Gary seem to be grounded in reality? Cite specific examples.
Part 3: What does Gary's constant fantasies seem to say about his mental state?
Essay Topic 2
The presence of sex in this story seems to be truly 'sex' rather than the idea of making love.
Part 1: Why does Nicole use sex during this story? What does it seem to provide for her?
Part 2: How does Gary use sex in this story? What does he seem to get in return?
Part 3: What does the author seem to be saying about sex and its relationship to violence?
Essay Topic 3
One's image of themselves seems to spurn on that person's actions as well.
Part 1: How does Nicole see herself? What actions does she take as a result of this self image?
Part 2: How does Gary see himself? What actions does he take as a result of his self image?
Part 3: Would changing one's self image change one's actions? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,971 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)