|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Cline Campbell's role in the prison setting, requested by Gary for his services?
2. What is the name of the guy that Nicole really likes, even though she is married to her first husband?
3. What is the nickname Nicole earns when she is in school because of her growing chest?
4. How old was Nicole when she first got married?
5. What does Gary get into the habit of doing with Sterling?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Grace McGinnis eventually sever ties with Bessie and her clan?
2. Describe how Gary acts as a worker at Vern's shop.
3. What are some of the things Gary thinks are interesting, revealing that he hasn't been in a bar in a long time?
4. What is the biggest obstacle for the lawyers who are trying to defend Gary in his murder charges?
5. Why do Gary's lawyers believe the death sentence will not be carried out and that it will be eventually overturned?
6. Who will Gary live with after he gets out of prison?
7. What is the evidence the prosecution has in the case against Gary?
8. What does Nicole pride herself on at the time when she meets Gary?
9. Why has Gary begun to hate his Mustang and to begin to look for an alternative car?
10. What is the coincidence that makes Nicole think she and Gary are somehow connected by the universe when they first meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of Nicole is an obviously flawed woman, but she still seems to be Gary's rock and his love throughout the book.
Part 1: What do you think makes Nicole continue to stay with Gary during this book?
Part 2: Do you think Gary truly loves Nicole? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Nicole truly loves Gary? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The presence of sex in this story seems to be truly 'sex' rather than the idea of making love.
Part 1: Why does Nicole use sex during this story? What does it seem to provide for her?
Part 2: How does Gary use sex in this story? What does he seem to get in return?
Part 3: What does the author seem to be saying about sex and its relationship to violence?
Essay Topic 3
The suicide theme is one that recurs during the story, with various players attempting to take their own life.
Part 1: When Nicole and Gary make a suicide pact, do you think Gary meant to go through with it? Why or why not?
Part 2: What do you think the goal of Nicole and Gary's suicide pact was? Why?
Part 3: Why does Gary turn to suicide after hearing his execution date has been changed?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)