|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gary get into the habit of doing with Sterling?
(a) Picking up young girls
(b) Stealing cars
(c) Smoking crack
(d) Playing poker
2. Who does Cahoun move into Gary's cell after Nicole stops coming to visit him?
(c) A doctor
3. What does Vern easily beat Gary at, which causes him to feel a little less than a man?
(d) Arm wrestling
4. What is the name of Nicole's first husband, who she meets after escaping from the nuthouse?
(a) Tom Roberts
(b) Gary Smith
(c) Jim Hampton
(d) Joe Hillard
5. Why does April refuse to have sex with Gary when they are at the Provo Holiday Inn?
(a) She has a headache
(b) She has a boyfriend
(c) She is a virgin
(d) She is feeling paranoid
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the loud and comical item Gary wears that makes him stand out in a crowd?
2. Who does Grace go with when she is able to visit with Gary in prison?
3. Gary writes in a letter that he thinks ____________ might return him to the world a happier person.
4. What does Bessie do to make ends meet, even though she has crippling arthritis?
5. Who is an uptight religious fanatic who is given to nervous breakdowns?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do people have to say about Gary's talents as an artist?
2. Why do Nicole's other lovers become a bit unnerved by her and by her situation?
3. What does Gary make April tell Brenda after the two spend the night together at the Holiday Inn?
4. What does Cline Campbell have to say about Gary's decision to let the state kill him?
5. Why do Gary's lawyers believe the death sentence will not be carried out and that it will be eventually overturned?
6. What is the coincidence that makes Nicole think she and Gary are somehow connected by the universe when they first meet?
7. Describe the nature of Nicole's first marriage.
8. What is one of the first signs in the book that Gary might have feelings for younger girls?
9. Why is Nicole taken off of Gary's visiting list at the prison, although she is eventually reinstated?
10. What does Sterling attribute to causing the bond between himself and Gary?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)