|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Jubbs?
2. According to Mrs. Morris, what is unnatural for a woman to do?
3. Where does Helena go to live?
4. Where does Mildred go when she can no longer bear the thought of staying home alone?
5. After the dinner with Mrs. Bone, what does Mildred smell from the Napiers' when she walks by?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Miss Clovis have to say about Rocky?
2. What does Allegra tell Mildred while they are having lunch?
3. What does Mildred do when she finds herself attracted to Rocky?
4. What does Mildred find upon her return from the dinner with Everard, and why is the situation as it is?
5. While having tea with Miss Clovis, what does Helena ask Mildred to do, and why does she ask her to do this?
6. What does Mildred discover while taking care of the Napiers' apartment?
7. After speaking with Miss Clovis, what does Mildred discuss with Winifred?
8. How does the drama with Julian, Winifred, and Allegra affect Mildred afterward?
9. Why problems is Winifred having with Allegra?
10. What does Julian announce when he arrives at Mildred's apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss marriage in Excellent Women. How is marriage viewed by the characters in the novel. What does marriage have to do with the issues that Mildred faces? What are Mildred's views on marriage? How does the author portray marriage in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of the novel Excellent Women. Where and where is the novel set? How does the time period affect the storyline? How does the place affect the storyline? Would the story change drastically if the time or place were to change?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of inferiority in the novel Excellent Women. Who feels inferior and why? What or who is causing this feeling of inferiority?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)