|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mildred do when she finds herself attracted to Rocky?
2. What does Julian announce to Mildred and Winifred at Mildred's apartment?
3. How does Mildred feel while her friends are gone?
4. Where does Helena go to live?
5. According to Julian, what had Winifred always hoped for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Miss Clovis, Mildred, and Helena talk about while having tea together?
2. After speaking with Miss Clovis, what does Mildred discuss with Winifred?
3. For their annual holiday, where do Mildred and Dora go and what do they do?
4. Why problems is Winifred having with Allegra?
5. What does Mildred find upon her return from the dinner with Everard, and why is the situation as it is?
6. What does Mildred do when she finds herself attracted to Rocky?
7. What do the parishioners get together to decorate and how do they decide their roles for this task?
8. What does Rocky ask Mildred in a letter and how does Mildred react?
9. What does Miss Clovis have to say about Rocky?
10. What does Mildred discover while taking care of the Napiers' apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of inferiority in the novel Excellent Women. Who feels inferior and why? What or who is causing this feeling of inferiority?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of repression in the novel Excellent Women. Who is repressed and why? How does the social repression of women affect the plot of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the protagonist of the novel Excellent Women, Mildred Lathbury. What are Mildred's defining characteristics? What struggles or obstacles does she face throughout the narrative? Does Mildred grow throughout the novel?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)